NRA member? Show your self

PDA

FROGO207
September 26, 2010, 08:28 AM
Are you a NRA member? Life member like me?? If so chime in here. Why do you support the NRA? If more of the fence sitters were indeed members then this organization would indeed have a LOT more political clout. Other threads on many forums sometimes bash the NRA---but they DO get a lot done for the RKBA movement. As much as I hate to say it this is like voting. DO NOT DARE to complain about the NRA policies unless you are a member. The members DO have a say and the leadership will listen if we collectively want to do it differently than what is happening now. So join and make your voice heard at the main office.:cool:
OK off the soap box now.:D

I am for the NRA educating the uninformed public, shooting programs, and helping to keep the shooting sports safe and alive in general. I am a life member now-- it took some time for me to decide to do it but I finally figured out that "If I did not do it, it probably was not going to get done" and the NRA needed me to personally stand up and be counted.

For those that do not like the extra stuff being pushed onto them, you can opt out of the mailings and/or emails. There is a link on your personal page or you can call them on the phone and it will be taken care of. I asked to stop the mailings. I think this will save some money to be used more productively IMHO. Why give it to the postal service instead.:scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA member? Show your self" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KSCCHTrainer
September 26, 2010, 08:38 AM
Been a life member for many years - I won my membership years ago as 3rd place prize in a statewide bowling pin shoot.

Like the OP, I have opted out of the mailings. They can better put that money to use fighting the likes of the Brady bunch & the other anti-firearms groups seeking to take away as many of our constitutional rights as they can.

hso
September 26, 2010, 08:40 AM
I've been a member for a long time and my wife and daughter are members. I also support the ILA.

I too opted out of the mailings for myself, wife and daughter.

I also support other RKBA/shooting organizations on the local and national level.

TexasRifleman
September 26, 2010, 08:42 AM
Been a member for many years, along with SAF and my state organization.

My attitude is to support pretty much all of the pro 2A groups and hopefully at least ONE of them will be paying attention when something tries to slip by.

Walkalong
September 26, 2010, 08:45 AM
Life member.

Regardless of what little problems they may have, or what small complaints we may have, they are our biggest voice, and without them we would have lost many more gun rights over the years. AC

loadedround
September 26, 2010, 08:46 AM
I am a NRA Life member and in addition am a NRA Rifle, Pistol and Shotgun Instructor, a BSA Shooting Sports Instuctor, have a CCW, and support both the NRA ILA and the RTKBA financially. ...and I vote!

Hardtarget
September 26, 2010, 08:47 AM
NRA? Sure, I've been a member for maybe 35 years. Should have joined as a life years ago but never have. Always done it as annual.

As to why...well, I think they have the best voice and can push Washington better than any other organization. Their training programs are good ( I think ).

I like the magazine, too. It is the only gun related magazine I get.

This year both my sons want to join.

Mark

Curator
September 26, 2010, 08:56 AM
Life member, Training Counsleor, Rifle/pistol/shotgun/PPITH, CRSO, Instructor, Eddie Eagle, & Boy Scout merit badge counselor. The NRA may not be perfect but who is better?

NRA_guy
September 26, 2010, 09:04 AM
Yep. NRA, ILA, and GOA.

I am not a life member but just keep paying dues one year at the time for about 30 years.

I support them because the liberals hate them.

Sometimes I get close to dropping my membership because they seem to support gun manufacturers' interest more than our right to bear arms, but so far I'm still with them.

silversport
September 26, 2010, 09:12 AM
Proud NRA Life member...I still get the mailings and give every year at different times or when my budget allows...no one fights as hard for our Rights and I appreciate that...

Bill

KarenTOC
September 26, 2010, 09:15 AM
I joined the NRA about 2 years ago. I became a life member just this month. I also belong to Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL). And I vote.

Arkansas Paul
September 26, 2010, 09:24 AM
Regardless of what little problems they may have, or what small complaints we may have, they are our biggest voice

Agreed.
I actually haven't joined yet but I have been planning on it.
I got an offer in the mail yesterday actually, and when I took it out of the mailbox, I told myself that I was going to go inside and fill out the card and send it in. I opened it up and on the front page in big bold letters it said, "IF YOU DON'T ACT RIGHT NOW, YOUR GUN RIGHTS WILL BE STRIPPED AWAY." I tore it up and threw it in the trash. Don't get me wrong, I am still going to join. I even agree that if we don't do something and let out voice be heard that it make it easier for anti gun legislation, but I refuse to get caught up in the hoopla and participate in scare tactic advertising.
You can sign up at a local gunstore here in central Arkansas. I think I'll just stop by there and sign up.

SaxonPig
September 26, 2010, 09:28 AM
Lifer since 1995.

The NRA can't possibly please everyone. Some guys are pragmatic and will compromise, make deals, play politics to (hopefully) make progress. Others adopt a take no prisoners attitude, and reject any compromise on the Second Amendment. To them it is all or nothing.

While it may not be perfect, the NRA remains the most powerful lobbying group we have. The fact that the NRA is so hated by the antis should be evidence that we need to support the NRA even if we don't always agree 100% with its methods.

Domineaux
September 26, 2010, 09:38 AM
Annual member for the past 3 years and will likely upgrade to life eventually.
Also member of GOA and TSRA and can't wait till November to vote.

orionengnr
September 26, 2010, 09:43 AM
Wife and I are both Life Members.
We are also members of TSRA.

wally
September 26, 2010, 10:10 AM
Been a life member for a very long time and a regular contributor to NRA-ILA, NRA-PVF, etc. and have upgraded to Endowment, and most recently Patron. I was offered a nice discount to upgrading to Benefactor membership, but since my wife is still unemployed I had to pass. Maybe next year.

I've also supported TSRA for as long as I've been an NRA member, I'm not a life member there as I figure they really need my yearly dues.

I periodically send contributions to SAF & CCRKBA as well.

buck460XVR
September 26, 2010, 10:20 AM
The NRA may not be perfect but who is better?

+1.

Wishoot
September 26, 2010, 10:20 AM
Annual member here. We need a voice (a loud one at that) in DC more than ever.

Dominus
September 26, 2010, 10:27 AM
The wife and I are both Lifer's........

The NRA does a lot of good for our cause, even if the benefit is not immediately seen.
We gravitate towards the instructional programs, safety courses, shooting competitions....etc. That is a great reason to support the NRA.

(Not to get political, but) Local meaning County level with regard to obtaining a pistol permit; they require the NRA basic pistol safety course. It seems to me that as much as these same politicians want to poo poo the NRA; they know the NRA is a great benefit to all.

Sky
September 26, 2010, 10:30 AM
Member; they are the best show in town.

MikeNice
September 26, 2010, 10:32 AM
I am a member because, as I said before, they are the best option when compared to many of the other organizations. I don't agree with them on things, at times. The only other big option is the Second Amendment Foundation. I plan on joining up as a member with them as well.

I get all my NRA mail through E-mail.

Ala Dan
September 26, 2010, 10:54 AM
I've been a Life Member of the NRA since September 9th, 1975; according
too my certificate. WoW~! That is 35 years my friends~! :D ;)

Tim the student
September 26, 2010, 10:55 AM
Member here.

jcwit
September 26, 2010, 11:00 AM
I am an annual member and have been all of my adult life, should have joined as a Life member50 years ago. I am also an NRA certified RSO.

Mags
September 26, 2010, 11:00 AM
Member, no other organization has done as much as the NRA for the RKBA. I sometimes don't like the compromises they make but no one else out there does it as good as the NRA.

WNTFW
September 26, 2010, 11:46 AM
I am a member. I have helped the friends of the NRA to raise money.

I am also a member of the LSA - Louisiana Shooters Association. The continue the fight on the state level. Much like the NRA they also have a multipronged approach. They LSA has a very good Junior program. (Not that I'm a junior or benifit from the program) I am able to rent a match AR to shoot service rifle if I wish.

Both the NRA and the LSA have some really good benifits the me. I am a gun owner and shooter who is looked after in many ways by both.
The short list would be:
Gun Ownership
Gun rights and Concealed Carry
Gun ranges
Shooting sports and competition.

I feel like I got the better end of the deal when I think of what I have given compared to what I receive.

jimmyraythomason
September 26, 2010, 11:57 AM
I've been a member since the early '70s and a life member for about 15 years.

Ifishsum
September 26, 2010, 12:12 PM
Joined as an annual member at 18 or 19, converted to life about 6 years ago. Many folks focus only on what the NRA does legislatively but as an organization the NRA does an incredible amount of promotion/support within the shooting community. Their training programs are huge (I'm also an NRA certified instructor for Rifle and Muzzleloading rifle), shooting team sponsorships, gun club insurance, gun safety programs like Eddie Eagle, and lots more. No organization does as much for shooters on every level as the NRA. Without them, the entire landscape of the sport would be different. Without the NRA most shooting clubs could not obtain liability insurance to operate.

Most of the complaints and excuses for not joining are involve the NRA-ILA but that's only one aspect of the organization as a whole. Unfortunately it's also the most visible. Politics are ugly no matter which side you're on.

Blackrock
September 26, 2010, 12:22 PM
I am a member and support NRA-ILA. I know they can overload the mail but I give them a one time each year and then pretty much junk the rest.

MikeNice
September 26, 2010, 12:25 PM
Ifishsum, those are the other reasons I stay with the NRA. Their training classes seem to be top notch.

I took the Basic Pistol course as part of my CCH Permit training. The price was highly reasonable and the information was well presented. The book that comes with the class is top notch. The follow up class opportunities also seem to be top notch. Plus their program with Winchester rewards you for learning to use your guns.

It means a lot to me that the NRA doesn't just fight for the right to own a weapon. By offering the training it shows a certain level of maturity. It also proves that they take the label "responsible gun owners" serious.

billybob44
September 26, 2010, 12:32 PM
I've been a Life Member of the NRA since September 9th, 1975; according
too my certificate. WoW~! That is 35 years my friends~! :D ;)
Right with you Dan. I been a member since the late 60's and Life Member since 1976( Don't know the exact date though??)
To me, as has been said, it's the #'s thing--The anti's hate this large block of pro gun people...Bill..

dennis3301
September 26, 2010, 12:33 PM
My wife and I are annual members. The NRA is like Church as you like most of the people there but dodo not like others but you go for the word. The NRA will not please you in all areas but they do defend most of the things we want You have to take the good and bad but there is more good. Will be changing to life member.

alemonkey
September 26, 2010, 12:34 PM
Member of the NRA, Izaak Walton League, and Nebraska Firearms Owners Association.

Weevil
September 26, 2010, 12:36 PM
A card carrying member for many years.

Tilos
September 26, 2010, 12:44 PM
A life member and proud to tell any politician, I'm a one issue voter who only gives political donations to the NRA, and to get my money, you need to get an NRA "A" rating.

pacerdude
September 26, 2010, 12:50 PM
I'm not a member yet, but I'm also a 21 year old poor college student, making just enough to scrape by and pay my rent, car insurance, food and other bills. I also can't afford my CCW permit yet, so once I have the extra money, I will join the NRA, and get my CCW.

wtfd661
September 26, 2010, 12:51 PM
Proud NRA member

NCbrew
September 26, 2010, 01:14 PM
I am a life member and attended the NRA convention in Charlott, NC this past spring. It was great.

I encourage everyone I know to join.

:)

In case you are not aware, Midwayusa gave over 5 million dollars to the NRA. They run a program whereby the buyer can round up to the next dollar when they buy something. They are also a very good company.. http://www.midwayusa.com

shockwave
September 26, 2010, 01:41 PM
While it may not be perfect, the NRA remains the most powerful lobbying group we have.

Exactly so. I joined when I purchased my first firearm and have never looked back. NRA-ILA, too.

russ69
September 26, 2010, 01:50 PM
Endowment Life and CRPA Life (state association). Neither is perfect but they swing a big stick.

Thanx, Russ

robotboy175
September 26, 2010, 02:03 PM
signed up about 2 weeks ago..waiting on my bag!

oldbanjo
September 26, 2010, 02:08 PM
I'm a member, need someone fighting for gun rights, the Gov won't listen to me.

September 26, 2010, 02:09 PM
See below.:D

msgunner
September 26, 2010, 02:14 PM
I've been a member for about 2 year now. Very proud to be involved. I am sending my life member fees in 2 months.

dogrunner
September 26, 2010, 02:18 PM
The NRA is in all reality the only game in town.............ALL, and I mean ALL. the others are "wannabe's".........and I most certainly do not mean that to disparage a lot of good work a lot of those distaff organization's members have done!.........But on balance, there is NO OTHER ORGANIZATION that has within it's power either the monetary or numerical resources (much less the credibility) to be heard on most of the State much less the National stages!

I'm a life member, have been for years, been a member since a boy scout way back in the 50's and while I do not agree with every route the Association has taken, without it we'd be at least as badly off as the British!

I'm also a three plus decade retired LEO....did a National ad for the NRA when the FOPA was being considered and can tell all that I took not just a little flack for so doing........hell, far as I know, I'm one of the only small town...(many States distant).....CLEO's that got negatively editorialized by name by the NYT!...........I am proud that I had that opportunity and without hesitation would do it again!

On the latter issue, I have heard and read innumerable criticisms of the NRA relative the FOPA.....most revolving around the Hughes amendment.......pissed me off too!.....hell, I had an MG in the process of approval at that time and believe me I wondered if I had just thrown several thousand dollars in the garbage! Still that negative aspect was NOT.............repeat that in real cap's N....O....T, regardless of what the NRA bashers say, the NRA's fault.............An awful lot of politically naive people occupy membership in those distaff org's..............and had we lost the momentum in '86 I most stridently believe we'd still be recording ammo purchases.

Truly...the NRA is the ONLY game in town! If you doubt that, then strike up a philosophical conversation with the Brady bunch!

aka108
September 26, 2010, 02:18 PM
Been a member for many years. Membership is now throught the ILA which is 120 dollars per year. Also have been until this last summer on the
Elko, NV Friends of the NRA Committee. I do not agree with all the NRA might do in some political movements but overall there is a lot more good in the organization than bad. Seems there are quite a few different organizations, like one for mule deer, one for Elk, one for ducks and similar have easier times getting donations and financial support for their events but none would exist if it were not for the NRA and several other sort of partnered up organizations that support the 2nd Amendment.

Flobert
September 26, 2010, 02:25 PM
I didn't win my Life membership in a match, but I got some money for winning a match and paid for mine that way.

THe Dove
September 26, 2010, 02:46 PM
Been a member for years and I told them to stop the mailings and asking for more money and they did. No complaints here!!!!

The Dove

Rshooter
September 26, 2010, 03:00 PM
I am a Special Life Member as a Disabled Veteran.

I had quit my membership when I disagreed with Wayne LaPierre personally about how the NRA was doing business. I knew that in a free country they would not ban "assault weapons". I ate my words and have been a life member since.

stickhauler
September 26, 2010, 04:05 PM
I was a annual member until a life member here offered a discounted life membership offer to anyone who wanted to participate, been a life member for about a year.

I'd got back into shooting in 2006, after about 25 years out of the sport.

Pocket Rocket
September 26, 2010, 04:47 PM
I've been a member since 2006 and signed up for 5 years at the time. I plan to renew and become a Life Member if I can find the funds to do so. I appreciate what the NRA does for the shooting sports, safety and education. While they don't handle all legal issues the way I would most prefer, I also understand they do their best in a complex political arena.

Tinpig
September 26, 2010, 06:11 PM
NRA and Mass. GOAL
You have to belong to both to be a member of my rifle association/range. I would anyway.

Tinpig

Tenmmauto
September 26, 2010, 06:15 PM
I'm a pround NRA member, and I support the PVF and ILA.

I think that they have done an outstanding job of protecting our 2A rights. God bless'em!

I also belong to the SAF.

Manco
September 26, 2010, 06:29 PM
The NRA may not be perfect, but they are politically savvy, and I don't even want to imagine where our fundamental RKBA would be today without them. I'm a member, and I support the NRA-ILA financially. I'm also a member of the CRPA (California Rifle & Pistol Association), and provide financial support for their legal efforts as well.

wrs840
September 26, 2010, 06:33 PM
My wife and I are both annual members. We'll both buy lifetime at full-fare as soon as the Government War on Prosperity is over.

Les

skoro
September 26, 2010, 07:01 PM
Affirmative

daorhgih
September 26, 2010, 07:04 PM
I dropped my NRA membership and renewed to Lifetime on my state LTCH. Both to spite Harry Reid, who until 2010 had a "25" on NRA's ratings poll, and the squirmy NRA leadership, who just recently "saw the light" and have dropped Reid to in the ratings. But this was just AFTER they had given Harry $1000s of YOUR money to get re-elected. Did NRA ask for Harry to return the cash, or the $10,000 shotgun Wayne presented to Harry, paid for with YOUR money??

rjrivero
September 26, 2010, 07:07 PM
Life member. :D:D

Valkman
September 26, 2010, 07:08 PM
Been Life since '95, have move up to Patron Membership.

Nikdfish
September 26, 2010, 07:11 PM
Annual membership for a lot of years, Life member since I retired...

Nick

Ramman911
September 26, 2010, 07:34 PM
yepper. NRA member here.

Rembrandt
September 26, 2010, 07:38 PM
4 Life memberships here......wife and I plus our two sons. Will add six more when the Grand kids get a little older.

strambo
September 26, 2010, 07:59 PM
Life member and my wife also. Aside from their political activism...I really like all they do for firearms training and promotion of the shooting sports/activities which is why they were started. Actually membership dues go towards these things, the political stuff is separate NRA-ILA.

G27RR
September 26, 2010, 09:08 PM
I am a life member who recently made the move to the endowment level. With the biggest voice, the NRA has the best chance to help get things done. At the state level, I am a life member of the Texas State Rifle Association and plan to move up to the next level soon. For the cost of a couple of guns or so, I feel it is a worthwhile trade to help protect our rights.

content
September 26, 2010, 09:14 PM
Hello friends and neighbors// Yep/not life but I'd probably expire before I paid the $1000, $25/year is great though.

The best first defense tactic I can think of is supporting the NRA.

GunLink
September 26, 2010, 09:19 PM
A) To be completely honest, I am an NRA member about 60% to add another number to their roster when they go to DC to do some lobbying for us and about 40% for the junk they send you when you re-up.

B) On the other hand, I've been a sponsor of FNRA banquets for the better part of the last decade because of the good they do in the community in getting youth into the safe use of firearms and with firearms education.

I contribute to NRA-ILA, NRA-PVF, etc because of the battles they fight for legislation and to get Pro2A candidates on ballots and into offices.

I see points A and B as being completely separate and, even if I didn't do "A" for whatever reason (don't like the mail, don't like the car Wayne drives, don't like the commercials they make, etc.) I would still do "B" because it's beneficial to me and others with similar interests.

MaterDei
September 26, 2010, 09:40 PM
Yes!

Rail Driver
September 26, 2010, 09:41 PM
Dues paying, voting member of the NRA here, as well as my son and many of my extended family.

jimmyraythomason
September 26, 2010, 09:44 PM
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread! After so many anti-NRA threads I was beginnig to believe that THR had been fully infiltrated by the Brady Bunch. I still believe they have a strong presence here.

Mags
September 26, 2010, 09:52 PM
I agree with you one hundred percent Jimmy!

publiuss
September 26, 2010, 09:53 PM
Absolutely, any gun owner, or supporter of the Constitution for that matter should be ashamed if they are not a member. If their was a group that fought to protect the rest of the Constitution I would support them too. The ACLU ain't them.

sig228
September 26, 2010, 10:00 PM
Proud NRA member and NRA certified firearms instructor.

SAF and JPFO member also.

tack
September 26, 2010, 11:21 PM
Member of Calguns and Life memeber at NRA. Why am I a member? They helped stop several anti gun bills in our crazy ********** legislature this year. My membership is money well spent for that alone. I also help the NRA with women on target and at the local gun show. No other other organization come close.

I should join GOA too.

kd7nqb
September 26, 2010, 11:27 PM
I am an NRA member because although they have their faults they are still the 800 pound gorilla in the room. However I also donate to / belong to other RKBA groups such as Oregon Firearms Fed and GOA that take a more radical approach.

bhp9mm
September 27, 2010, 12:03 AM
NRA member

DeepSouth
September 27, 2010, 12:10 AM
I actually have two memberships, couldn't decide which mag I wanted.

Stevie-Ray
September 27, 2010, 12:46 AM
Member here, for many years.

Big_E
September 27, 2010, 01:25 AM
Hello, my name is Big_E and I am an NRA member.

I really just joined because I wanted the American Rifleman magazine, but my mom's side of the family have been NRA members for decades and I figure another member in their ranks can help protect my gun rights.

I have been a member for 2 years now and I am pretty lucky because they don't call me for donations and I rarely receive anything in the mail from them. Also those friends of the NRA dinners are nice to attend once in awhile. My friend has won several rifles in the raffles.

MinnMooney
September 27, 2010, 05:14 AM
I have been a member for more years than I care to remember. Back in the 80's, I used to think that nearly all gun owners were members. Little did I realize how few really were! The majority leave it up to us few to save our 2nd amendment rights.

Kwanger
September 27, 2010, 09:19 AM
Member here, will probably upgrade to life at some point. Not a member of any of the other RKBA organizations; IMO a big unified and sensible body is the best way to preserve our rights and the NRA best represents that.

TexasBill
September 27, 2010, 10:16 AM
NRA and TSRA member. I figured they needed at least one liberal, so I joined.

rattletrap1970
September 27, 2010, 10:26 AM
Been a member since 1987 or so. I don't always agree with everything they say, or the way they solicit, or their wasting of money on cheap promotional crap from china, but they are the biggest advocate available. I just wish they were a little less Fudd based.

Jefpainthorse
September 27, 2010, 10:38 AM
Annual Member.... the NRA seems to win a lot of little small court cases........ and that's what makes the big ones go the right way later on.

I don't drink the Kool Aid though. The NRA needs some leadership shakeups and on a couple of stances--- ***T or go blind, already. But they are the best we have.

da3394
September 27, 2010, 11:48 AM
I have been a member for over 40 years and a Life Member for over 20 years. The NRA is the best lobbying group around and they are not afraid to file a suit.

Wingnut13
September 27, 2010, 11:53 AM
Wingnut checking in ~ Annual member for about 10yrs now..... (can't believe its been so long)

NRA is GTG, like any org it has its issues but they sure don't overshadow the benefits.

Ruger Redhawk
September 27, 2010, 11:57 AM
I'm a Patron member and my wife is a Life member.
The NRA is the best bang for the buck. Biggest and has the most clout.

Gaffer
September 27, 2010, 12:17 PM
Have been a member for for over 50 years and am now a benefactor member. They are not 100% right and I have hollered at them many times but they are the best progun lobby we have.

Redleg45
September 27, 2010, 12:54 PM
NRA - Benefactor
T.S.R.A - Life

porterdog
September 27, 2010, 02:29 PM
Lifer.

Ben86
September 27, 2010, 02:38 PM
I've been a member since Obama got elected. I support them because they have done so much, and continue to do so much, for our Second Amendment rights. They're not perfect, but what organization is? I see them as one of the few things that kept our freedom from being trampled upon by a lefty controlled congress and executive office.

KBintheSLC
September 27, 2010, 02:39 PM
After being a "fence sitter" for many years, I finally joined the NRA on Nov 3, 2008. I regret not joining earlier... I guess it took a serious threat to get me off my rear end.

jnyork
September 27, 2010, 03:14 PM
Member since 1954, Life since 1980.

Russ Jackson
September 27, 2010, 03:16 PM
Member since 1977...Russ

Creature
September 27, 2010, 03:39 PM
Life member.

glove
September 27, 2010, 07:08 PM
Life Member here.:)

grog18b
September 27, 2010, 07:16 PM
Member since 1985. GROG

gloucestergarand
September 27, 2010, 08:28 PM
Life member since 1983.
VCDL member since arriving in VA in 2005.
GCA member since 1995 or so.

Hmmm, think my sig block covers that as well!

pharmer
September 27, 2010, 08:36 PM
\/
\/
\/

Maia007
September 27, 2010, 10:09 PM
Member since 73, Life since 80, Endowment since 97.

I dont agree with them right down the line, but they are doing better than any other national level organization. I also support my State and local organizations. Without these organizations, we would enjoy the same rights as most of Europe and Canada and Australia....on that you can be sure.

SuperNaut
September 27, 2010, 10:27 PM
The NRA is one of the gun-rights organizations to which I belong. But honestly, this thread is like going to HuffPo and asking who belongs to the ACLU.

BADSBSNF81
September 28, 2010, 06:54 PM
Life member

herohog
September 28, 2010, 08:44 PM
Still a member... for now.

Carter
September 28, 2010, 09:00 PM
New member this year.

45TxN
September 28, 2010, 09:18 PM
I've been an NRA member for many years. I feel they are the best voice in Washington for RKBA.

They have also have excellent education programs. In my opinion, Eddy Eagle should be a mandatory educational class for every school kid. Education is the key to safety.

I remember when I was around 10 to 12 years old competing at indoor NRA rimfire rifle matches at the local Texas National Guard Armory.

Legionnaire
September 28, 2010, 10:34 PM
Life Member for many years. Wife is currently upgrading to Life Membership.

kbbailey
September 28, 2010, 10:37 PM
Annual member
Putting some money where my mouth is on behalf of our second amendment.

Prion
September 28, 2010, 10:52 PM
Annual Member, not perfect but no one's better. We owe them a lot.

JTHunter
September 29, 2010, 12:28 AM
Annual for many years. Upgraded to Life about 12 years ago and Endowment about 7 years ago. Also Life member of the North American Hunting Club.
Being unemployed, I can no longer afford to financially support the groups I have donated to in the past such as DU, PF, QU, NRA-ILA, etc. Doesn't mean I do nothing - I still right letters, make calls, etc.

FROGO207
September 29, 2010, 08:20 AM
SuperNaut I am proud to be a member and wanted to find out why others felt the need to be members also. I think that a pro NRA atta boy thread is a good thing. Some people like to complain about them but I do not see any other large pro 2A organizations stepping up to the plate to take their turn helping either.

SuperNaut
September 29, 2010, 09:41 AM
I get it bro.

I was making an off-hand joking comment.

RobNDenver
September 29, 2010, 11:40 AM
NRA Life Member for a couple of years now. Also Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, the American Legion and the Democratic Party.

lambertiana
September 29, 2010, 03:24 PM
I've been a member for about ten years now.

NC Cruffler
September 29, 2010, 04:53 PM
I've been in since 1973.

vynx
September 29, 2010, 06:31 PM
life member

why? sort of like that old saying attributed to Ben Franklin

We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately

jakeiscrazy
September 29, 2010, 07:37 PM
Been shooting for 3 years and a member for 2. They are the biggest voice in Washington. I do get the magazine, I like it and it helps keep me informed. I also am going to become a SAF member and Virginia Citizens Defense League sometime soon. Cover your bases the NRA can't do everything.

Beach Nut
September 29, 2010, 07:47 PM
I just renewed my membership. It is great knowing the NRA is there to support
gunowners and I appreciate them going to bat for those of us who want to
see our Second Amendment rights preserved and enhanced. I also enjoy their
publications, especially The American Rifleman.

kimbernut
September 29, 2010, 09:07 PM
Member since 1992. Life member since 2001.

JohnBT
September 30, 2010, 08:23 AM
NRA Patron.

Member www.vcdl.org

lonegunman
September 30, 2010, 08:38 AM
Member since the mid-1980's, Life member since 1994, no regrets. They strike fear in the hearts of aspiring democrap/socialist politicians, more so than everyone else combined. They are also the governing body for many shooting sports, support hunting, provide law enforcement training and support, have a massive legal defense fund and monitor all of the international attempts to ban guns in America.

If you own a gun want to keep it, you need to support them.

blkt72
September 30, 2010, 05:16 PM
Life Member

kimberkid
September 30, 2010, 05:31 PM
I got my life membership when I turned 40, then they were doing a special and got the Endowment membership and a bowie knife (made in china) for $300 when I turned 50

tuckerdog1
October 1, 2010, 03:24 PM
Life member. Don't remember when I quit doing the annual, then five year plans. Well over 20 years ago.

The higher the membership number, the weaker the knees of the antis in congress.

Tuckerdog1

phoglund
October 1, 2010, 03:32 PM
Life member here, had to opt out of all the mailings...pretty annoying. The NRA performs a needed role as a lead organization for the defense of gun rights. No, I don't agree with everything they do...don't know of a single organization I do entirely agree with.

CoRoMo
October 1, 2010, 03:33 PM
I'm also doing life.

springfield30-06
October 1, 2010, 03:36 PM
Life member here as well. I used to renew annual but I took advantage of one of the 'special discount' rates of $400 a year or two ago.

NRA-Highmaster
October 1, 2010, 08:34 PM
Patron Life

CapnMac
October 1, 2010, 08:38 PM
Life Member.

rscalzo
October 1, 2010, 08:50 PM
The NRA has done things to annoy me, mainly with the constatnt push to buy whatever they are pushing this week. But until something better comes along, I'll stay with them.

msb45
October 1, 2010, 10:50 PM
Life Member

Leanwolf
October 1, 2010, 11:02 PM
Life member. Been in the NRA since I was 14 and that was a long, long, time ago!!

The only reason we still have any of our firearms is because of the NRA's fighting for our Rights over many years.

Perfect organization?? Not totally, but I've never known of any organization that was 100% perfect.

But it is best most powerful advocate in town for our firearms' Rights.

L.W.

md5114a
October 3, 2010, 10:53 PM
I became a member today.

1-cavediver
October 4, 2010, 11:44 AM
First joined in 1964 when I was 13-years old and proud to be an NRA Life Member.

natman
October 4, 2010, 01:14 PM
Member off and on since 1963, Life Member since 1988.

The NRA is not always perfect, but YOU try running an organization that size and try to please everyone.

Still our best bet.

shooterIII
October 4, 2010, 04:43 PM
Patron Member. Life member since 1961

19&41
October 5, 2010, 05:59 PM
I'm an annual member since 1982. They seem to know how to work the sausage factory pretty well. I wish their online reference resources had a bit more beneficial info, and would allow member participation in a interactive manner similar to this site.

garyhan
October 5, 2010, 06:16 PM
Current Endowment member.
Life since 1977.
Annual since 1964.

Very simply, without the NRA, we would have lost most of our second amendment rights. Yes, they have erred. Yes, the mailings are annoying. But what they have accomplished is monumental.

gary

Grassman
October 5, 2010, 07:30 PM
Been a member for years...Need to go ahead and do the life membership deal.

whalerman
October 5, 2010, 07:36 PM
NRA Life Member here. I try to send them a check now and then. But what I've made a point of doing is giving a one year membership to a kid once a year. I look at it as seed money for our future. Pick a kid, maybe the son or daughter of a friend, and buy them a membership. Most of the time they continue on their own. We then have a young ally who is on a lifetime path of learning and enjoying.

warriorsociologist
October 6, 2010, 11:32 PM
Yep -- see my sig. line.
I also am a Director at my local gun club.

IdahoShooter
October 6, 2010, 11:46 PM
Life Member since 1987.

redbeardsong
October 7, 2010, 12:24 AM
I'm not a member of the NRA, but I am a member of GeorgiaCarry.org, the grass roots organization that has made great advances in carry rights legislation in Georgia.

(Edited, because I'm working on being less of a mouthy jerk.)

theotherwaldo
October 7, 2010, 11:05 AM
Lifer since 1999. The NRA is doing the job that no one else is willing or able to do.

finnfan
October 7, 2010, 12:08 PM
Lifer.

yesis'loaded
October 7, 2010, 12:26 PM
Been a life member ever since i saw the video of gun owners in England being forced to surrender their heirloom firearms and watched a chopsaw EAT THEM. NOT ON MY WATCH!!!!!

chez323
October 7, 2010, 12:27 PM
another member here......

skipbadger
October 7, 2010, 01:17 PM
NRA Member here. They aren't perfect, but they are the best we have at the federal level.

Also a member of Grass Roots North Carolina. They do a great job at the state level. They also aren't perfect, but the best we have.

In case anyone was wondering, I am not perfect either but I am the best I got...

The smaller RKBA groups love to bash the NRA. Some of it is warranted and I think it helps to keep the NRA on its toes. Some of it is fear mongering to drive membership at the grass roots level.

JohnBT
October 7, 2010, 03:01 PM
"I'm not a member of the NRA."

You misread the thread title. But you're new and obviously still finding your way around. Welcome.

John

gdesloge
October 7, 2010, 03:04 PM
Member.

redbeardsong
October 8, 2010, 08:23 PM
SkipBadger and JohnBT,

Regrettably, my post was nothing more than late-night trash talking. It was out of place, and I've since edited it. I commend you both on your responses. Gracious and unflappable. Very THR.;)

22-rimfire
October 8, 2010, 09:52 PM
Been a member a long time. Usually renew in 5-year increments.

Dulvarian
October 8, 2010, 10:09 PM
Life Member.

owlhoot
October 9, 2010, 09:59 PM
I've been a lifer since 1975. The NRA has done a lot for gun owners and the nation generally. I'm proud to be a member.

stevek
October 10, 2010, 04:54 AM
See my signature :)

My wife is also a life member and certified pistol instructor. We also support the ILA. As a matter of fact, our "Friends of the NRA Dinner" on the 23rd of this month has John Lott as the keynote speaker...can't wait :D

RON in PA
October 10, 2010, 05:11 AM
God willing I'll be 70 next March and I've been a NRA member since I was 18. I've been an Endowment Life member for many years.

The NRA has to be doing something good as the NY Times and Philadelphia Inquirer are always complaining that the NRA has so much influence that anti-gun legislation supported by these newspapers never gets passed.

Believe it or not, but with the recent Supreme Court decisions and shall issue laws in many states passed over the last 20 years gun rights are much stronger than they were when I was a young person. Much of this is due to the NRA.

jay223
October 10, 2010, 10:58 AM
not a life member , but im a member....... the nra is the biggest organization that will help protect my second ammendment right to keep and bare arms !!!!!! enough said !!!

GunsAmerica Fan
October 10, 2010, 01:27 PM
I am an endowment member and I give NRA tens of thousands in free advertising every year, and pay them 15k for a large space at the NRA show ( that is in pittsburg this year).

Sport45
October 11, 2010, 12:14 AM
I'm an Associate Member. That way I send them money and they don't waste any money sending me magazines and other stuff I probably wouldn't read anyway.

Pete D.
October 11, 2010, 12:16 AM
Life member.

Border
October 11, 2010, 06:36 AM
Life Member. I am outraged however!: http://www.redstate.com/dhorowitz3/2010/10/05/the-nra-is-helping-preserve-the-anti-gun-democrat-majority/ If this continues I will direct all funds and supportive efforts to the Gun Owners of America!

herohog
October 11, 2010, 04:11 PM
With their free associate membership (http://www.nrahq.org/nrabonus/) there is absolutely no reason not to be a member!

BHP FAN
October 11, 2010, 04:15 PM
Life member. Just this year in fact after being a member about 20 years.

smoke14me
October 12, 2010, 02:15 AM
Life member, I appreciate the service they provide all gun owners as a collective voice.

357sigRog
October 12, 2010, 03:30 AM
Member here too!:)

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA member? Show your self" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!