GP-100 Rattle

PDA

CTGunner
September 26, 2010, 03:20 PM
I picked up a new in the box GP-100 today...I didn't realize until I got it home that it makes a pretty significant rattling sound when I shake the gun (unloaded) with the hammer back or down. Is this normal? I can't wait to shoot it but want to make sure this is typical before I do.

If you enjoyed reading about "GP-100 Rattle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
_N4Z_
September 26, 2010, 03:25 PM
It's likely the ejector rod that runs thru the cylinder.

On Rugers (GP & SP atleast), they rattle.

Gold
September 26, 2010, 03:31 PM
The one i have Rattles slightly but shoots like a dream

Rexster
September 26, 2010, 03:32 PM
Transfer bar. By the way it is designed to work, it must have some wiggle room, and wiggle it does. While there are other parts that rattle in a GP100, this one is usually the most noticeable.

gunnutery
September 26, 2010, 03:33 PM
I also say check the transfer bar.

gwnorth
September 26, 2010, 04:30 PM
Both my GP100's and my pair of Service Sixes rattle. It's the transfer bar, as mentioned. It has a deliberately loose fit to ensure it doesn't ever bind. On the GP's, the ejector rod also makes a wee bit of noise, since it too is mounted relatively loosely (since it has nothing to do with lockup on a GP - it's sole function is ejection).

recondoc
September 26, 2010, 04:34 PM
My GPs, SPs and Redhawks all rattled a little bit in the transfer bar. I've never had a malfunction with them.

rcmodel
September 26, 2010, 04:38 PM
You just haven't shot a .357 enough without hearing protection.

If you had, you couldn't hear that tiny little rattle at all.

It would just get lost in the ringing noise that never goes away.

rc

CTGunner
September 26, 2010, 06:04 PM
Thanks folks. I agree, it's the transfer bar. I looked in there and I can see it moving around.

If you enjoyed reading about "GP-100 Rattle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!