Dented Shells

PDA

kmcintosh78
September 27, 2010, 11:40 AM
Ok, so I picked up some Austrian Mil surplus ammo and have found a couple, 5, shells with dents in them.
Now, wanting to be careful, are they safe to shoot or not?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Dented Shells" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NavyLCDR
September 27, 2010, 11:44 AM
If it is just a little ding in the case, yes they are safe to shoot. I've shot plenty of reloaded rounds with dings in the case and many rounds that have been dented in a FTF.

For instance:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=414412

I would reload and shoot those ^^^^.

IdahoLT1
September 28, 2010, 02:44 AM
A small dimple in the case wall wont cause any harm. After shooting the round, you'll notice the spent case wont have the dimple because the case expanded inside the chamber. Now if its a large dent where the case is creased, it may have weakened the integrity of the case and it may be advisable to discard those rounds.

Take a picture and post it here.

CHEVELLE427
September 28, 2010, 03:05 AM
sometimes the dent goes away after you resize it, AR, AK, SKA, HK, ARE all rough and dent the cast sometimes, only ones i cull is if it is in the shoulder area, or a long dent making a line straight down the case. just me , my 0.2

kmcintosh78
September 28, 2010, 08:59 AM
I will get pics shortly

If you enjoyed reading about "Dented Shells" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!