Unsafe Gun Handling in Iraq

PDA

Sven
December 14, 2003, 06:55 PM
I've seen several pictures and videos of Iraqis shooting their guns in the air... not too cool! I mean, it would suck to die the day of liberation due to the stupidity of one of your countrymen.

If you enjoyed reading about "Unsafe Gun Handling in Iraq" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Skunkabilly
December 14, 2003, 07:08 PM
That's why in LA they don't sell ammo a week before the New Year :barf: :rolleyes:

Dionysusigma
December 14, 2003, 07:11 PM
Every year we shoot off fireworks on our day of liberation, and those can be dangerous too... it's just human nature to make loud noises in any way you can when something good happens, I suppose. :rolleyes: :D

Gun related: I wonder if there were more 7.62x39 or 5.45 AKs...

HABU
December 14, 2003, 08:33 PM
As I was watching the coverage of Sodom's (or Sadamn's, depending on Bush Jr. Or Sr.) capture this morning there was some footage of Cousin Achgoober shooting his pistol in the air. Interesting probably only to me was that I knew sumpin was up before they panned the camera to Cousin Achgoober. One of the bystanders ducked/flinched and moved away/looked over his shoulder, then 'Goob was shown shooting air.

One would think that not too many Iraqi's get it in the head, or it wouldn't be such a popular act.

mtnbkr
December 14, 2003, 10:07 PM
When Saddam's sons were killed, bullets raining back down to earth after the festivities killed 12 Iraqis.

Darn, there goes my 666 post count...

Chris

4v50 Gary
December 14, 2003, 10:21 PM
Firearms safety over there isn't held in the same regard as we do here. This is one of the times when I will say that we are right (with regards to safety) and that some aspects of another's "lifestyle" is unacceptable.

OK, would it be acceptable if, say, it were on the open sea? Clear, sunny day and from the topmast (and with radar) you can positively assert that no one is within a 10 mile radius of your ship?

RikWriter
December 14, 2003, 10:22 PM
It's a cultural thing. That's what Arabs do when they're happy.

fmjcafe
December 14, 2003, 10:25 PM
http://start.earthlink.net/newsarticle?cat=7&aid=D7VEG3180_story
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````
In the Kurdish city of Kirkuk in the north, eight people were killed and 80 wounded from gunfire during celebrations of Saddam's capture.

:eek:

Basic physics. What goes up, must come down.

BluesBear
December 14, 2003, 10:34 PM
bullets raining back down to earth after the festivities killed 12 Iraqis.
Not from the ones fired straight up.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51763

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51483

It's the morons firing in all direction that ya'll gotta worry about.

Sven
December 14, 2003, 11:29 PM
On Fox I saw a celebration, and one guy was instructing his friend with the AK about how to hold it in the air and shake it. The next clip had a more enthusiastic crowd, with bayonets extended and cheering.

Then, cut to the dumbarse firing up in the air. Real nice for the people immediately next to him (noise) and those 0-2000+ yards away.

nemesis
December 14, 2003, 11:43 PM
It's a cultural thing. That's what Arabs do when they're happy.

It's not just the Arabs. Most less well developed societies get off by blasting off volleys to show their civic pride.

Around here, on New Years Eve, the local Mexicans all run outside at midnight and fire off full magazines as fast as the slide can cycle, although most of them aren't entitled to own or possess firearms. Of course, most of them aren't entitled to be here so one more crime to add to the list probably doesn't make a lot of difference.

c_yeager
December 15, 2003, 03:21 AM
I remember a particular south american country dumping nearly its entire arsenal at a lunar eclipse not too long ago. Sad part is that the military participated and a number of people were killed/injured.

Thumper
December 15, 2003, 03:47 AM
There's one clip I keep seeing with a kid with an SKS and it keeps dropping down from vertical...finally, his smiling father grabs the forend and gestures up. The kid gets the idea and keeps it pointed up. Fundamentals. Gotta love that. :D

Dionysusigma
December 15, 2003, 07:29 AM
To say nothing about the poor innocent bystanders who get a shower of brass down their robes... :eek: :D :rolleyes:

El Tejon
December 15, 2003, 09:38 AM
Third World Weaponcraft: everyone KNOWS that it is the noise, not the bullets, that can hurt you.:rolleyes: :D

bountyhunter
December 15, 2003, 02:19 PM
I've seen several pictures and videos of Iraqis shooting their guns in the air... not too cool! I mean, it would suck to die the day of liberation due to the stupidity of one of your countrymen.

First report was four civilians dead and sixteen injured from celebration fire. I am not making that up.

rock jock
December 15, 2003, 02:25 PM
Latest report is 8 dead and 60 injured from celebratory gunfire. And we think these people can run a society on their own?

El Tejon
December 15, 2003, 02:32 PM
rock, just another New Year's Eve in Chicago or Dee-troIT.:D

Smoke
December 15, 2003, 02:47 PM
Saw some footage of a 12 - 14 year old boy dancing with a rowd after Saddams capture. The boy had a pistol in his hand and was pointing it everywhere but in a safe direction. Nobody cared. Nobody even noticed.

These threads crack me up when it's pointed out that a underdeveloped country whose inhabitants have little or no education, whose people have a lower value of human life, are not practicing basic gun safety.

These people are probably more concerned where their next meal is coming from; not where their bullets may come down.

It's a cultural thing. We practice safety, lots don't.

Smoke

If you enjoyed reading about "Unsafe Gun Handling in Iraq" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!