Has this happened to you?

PDA

Malpaso44
September 28, 2010, 06:53 PM
When i fire my gun the shell ejects and loads the next round, but the slide does not fully return. I have to push the slide up to fire again. The gun is clean and i replaced the recoil spring.

If you enjoyed reading about "Has this happened to you?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ambidextrous1
September 28, 2010, 06:56 PM
This occurs when the (reload) case isn't fully sized. The Lee factory crimp die may solve the problem for you.

The Lone Haranguer
September 28, 2010, 07:03 PM
This is a Failure to Feed. More information is needed. What kind of gun? (Some models have quirks or problems common to them.) I know you said the gun is clean, but is it lubricated? Reloaded or factory ammunition? If factory, does it do it with more than one brand? It could also be a magazine problem. Are they clean? If magazine related, sometimes only one (if you have more than one) causes the malfunctions. Devise a method of marking them (e.g., number with Wite-Out on the floorplate) and note which one was being used when the FTF occurs. If it is the same one every time, repair or replace (it is usually easier to do the latter) that magazine.

Shadow 7D
September 28, 2010, 07:17 PM
Are you limpwristing?
either the bullets are not fitting (dirty chamber, long ammo etc..) or the slide is being robbed of energy somewhere/somehow.

Vitrophyre
September 28, 2010, 08:01 PM
I have this problem with an AK mag- and I know it's only with one of my mags. I assume the only economical fix would be to lube inside the containment lips to help conserve energy discussed above. Has anyone done this before?

Carter
September 28, 2010, 09:04 PM
Had that happen to me the first time I fired an xd subcompact in .40. Turns out I limp wristed it. Just get a nice firm hold and see what happens.

Malpaso44
September 28, 2010, 09:19 PM
The gun is a smith and wesson model 5946. The gun is clean and lubricated. I am 6'2" and 254lbs I don't think I'm capable of limp wristing:) I have 3 mags for this gun and it's doing this with all three. I bought this gun as a police trade in and have fired over 300 rounds before this started.

Malpaso44
September 28, 2010, 09:23 PM
I'll lube the contaiment lips and take her out tommorow. I hope this works.

Carter
September 28, 2010, 09:24 PM
The gun is a smith and wesson model 5946. The gun is clean and lubricated. I am 6'2" and 254lbs I don't think I'm capable of limp wristing I have 3 mags for this gun and it's doing this with all three. I bought this gun as a police trade in and have fired over 300 rounds before this started.

You snarky big fella..jk.
Ummm check for abnormal wear marks, break it down and clean it like Mary Poppins was going to be inspecting it, run some good quality ammo through it and see if it persists.

Shadow 7D
September 28, 2010, 09:38 PM
Me He MAN TOO!!!!!

Listen happens to everyone, can happen to anyone, even me, actually it's why I don't carry a P40.

Vitrophyre
September 29, 2010, 12:19 PM
Let us know how it works Malpaso.

doc2rn
September 29, 2010, 12:51 PM
Is it taking the round from the magazine and the bullet riding home in front of the ejector? Had that happen for awhile when I bought my first auto until it got broke in.

bullseye308
September 29, 2010, 12:53 PM
Are you shooting factory ammo or reloads? If they are reloads a case gauge might be in order or just pull the barrel and drop them in and see if they chamber correctly.

Go back & re-read what The Lone Haranguer said. If this is a new development, I would first suspect the ammo.

DoubleTapDrew
September 29, 2010, 02:30 PM
This happens occasionally with reloads in my tight chambered 1911 if the rounds aren't full length sized. Sometimes if they are bad enough it'll lock up the gun, those are "fun".

MichaelK
September 29, 2010, 04:30 PM
Again, I also had a 1911 that would feed rounds into the chamber, but the slide would stop 1/8" before locking into battery. I would lift up my thumb, press the slide forward, then the gun would fire.

Turned out that my reloads needed more taper crimp than my Lee die set would perform. Crimping with a Hornady taper crimping die solved all my feeding problems.

For you, try dropping a cartridge into the chamber. Does it hit headspace with a light metalic click? If it does not, either the chamber is dirty or somehow not letting the case fully enter the chamber. That means reloads are not being prepared properly, or you bought some out of spec ammunition.
Good luck,
Michael

Erik M
September 29, 2010, 04:38 PM
If there is heavy galling on the ejected case you might have a burr or some type of hard to spot obstruction in the firing chamber, I have seen it happen on shotguns. Can be fixed by polishing the firing chamber.

TX1911fan
September 29, 2010, 05:02 PM
May just need more lube.

If you enjoyed reading about "Has this happened to you?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!