Anyone know how to clean a BAR?

PDA

smartshot
September 30, 2010, 06:27 AM
Hello all, I own a Belgium Browning BAR from the early 70's (I think its a 72) in 338 win mag and its in really good condition. I hear alot of talk about cleaning the gas chamber and such. I know how to take the forearm off at this time, but am a bit nervous about taking it down any further. I found some stuff online but wanted to speak with someone who has done it before because I'm starting to get alot of jams and think it needs to be cleaned out. Also I recently found out that this model in 338 win mag is rare and worth 40% more than other calibers!! http://www.midwestgunworks.com/field_service_manual/browning_bar_fsm.pdf is the website I found that explains it, but the instructions are a bit confusing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone know how to clean a BAR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
September 30, 2010, 12:45 PM
Disassembly of the BAR gas orifice adjustment screw is not recommended.
It is set at the factory for proper gas port pressure, and you don't want to mess with it.

Here is a link to an owners manual which is pretty clear instructions for owner service cleaning.
http://media.browning.com/pdf/om/bar_om_s.pdf

As for more detailed instructions?
The factory field service manual you linked to is as good as it is going to get.
If you are uncomfortable following those instructions, I would suggest you take it to a good gunsmith.

Or better yet, send it back to the Browning Factory Repair Center in Arnold MO for a complete going over.

Browning Service Department
One Browning Place
Arnold, Missouri 63010-9406
1-800-322-4626

rc

a5werkes
September 30, 2010, 08:07 PM
This is no "adjustment" to the gas regulator screw and gasket. The gas regulator simply screws in / out. There are nominal sizes of the ports in the barrel and the gas regulator screw that are generally inversely related to the caliber size and are enumerated in tabular form in the BAR Field Service Manual previously referenced.

You may simply remove the gas regulator and thus the gas piston and cylinder are readily available for inspection and cleaning. It is a simple process.

351 WINCHESTER
September 30, 2010, 11:19 PM
First off I would clean the chamber with a chamber brush really good and clean the barrel too. Make sure the chamber is completely dry and free from any oil or solvents prior to shooting. Let us know if that fixes the jams.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone know how to clean a BAR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!