Steel Powder for shot gun

PDA

grubbylabs
September 30, 2010, 02:20 PM
I am going to try and use some Steel powder for my steel loads this year. The last time I tried it I was told to trickle it in to a scale and not use a bushing. Has this changed, or has any one been able to get it to meeter out of a powder dispenser?

If you enjoyed reading about "Steel Powder for shot gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
snuffy
September 30, 2010, 04:25 PM
Steel powder,(Alliant), is a very coarse flake type powder. It does not meter well through any kind of volume type measure. When I was loading steel shot, I'd use a dipper that always came up short, then trickled the remainder with a trickler.

If I were to do it today, I'd use my pact/RCBS dispenser to measure out exactly the grain weight I'd need.

Try to use a bushing. I'll bet you'll find a swing of +-1.0 grains! Not good, even for shotshell loading.

grubbylabs
September 30, 2010, 04:46 PM
I tried my RCBS powder dispenser and the variance was scary.

Duckdog
October 2, 2010, 06:41 PM
I have the best luck using a Lee dipper that is either close or right on. I definitely weigh each charge unless a dipper is right on, and in many cases, you can find one very, very close to what you need.

If you enjoyed reading about "Steel Powder for shot gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!