Western Arms, Ithaca, NY

PDA

baddrop
October 1, 2010, 09:16 PM
I have a Western Arms SXS 12ga. which I received used on my 14th B-day in 1954. How do I find year of mfg. and what the present day value of this firearm is? It is in excellent condition having been in a gun cabinet since moving to PA. in 1985, where shotguns are rarely used on deer. I used it on many phesants, rabbits and squirrles, and a trophy buck in 1984, while living in Hamlin, NY. Would appreciate any feed back offered.

If you enjoyed reading about "Western Arms, Ithaca, NY" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KevininPa
October 2, 2010, 11:07 PM
.....-> Long Range Gun <- on the right barrel and -> Western Arms Corp., Ithaca, N.Y. <- on the left? If so, it was made by Ithaca, good shotgun. I have one, sweet trigger and good POA. Barrel should be about 30". My gunsmith (and other sources) place it to be made in the '30s. He told me not to go too ballistic with heavy loads because the steel wasn't made as strong then to handle todays hotter ammo. But I honestly suspect it can handle some pretty good loads, it's built like a tank! I check Gunbroker.com every now and then for values. Here are some examples:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx?SearchType=0&Timeframe=0&Keywords=western+arms&Cat=3104&Country=++&Sort=4

I've seen our models go for as much as $500 in excellent condition, which sounds like yours. Mine is in good , used condition with a well worn patina and some good field nicks in the wood. If work were steadier, I'd put a bid in on our model on that page just for spare parts. BTW, you can expect this thread to be moved to the shotgun forum.

Since you've owned this for so long, I guess you already know it's 2 3/4 shells only. Heck, you've owned yours longer than I'm alive! I hope you can teach me a thing or two. I've only owned mine for twelve years.

If you enjoyed reading about "Western Arms, Ithaca, NY" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!