Finder's Fee? I NEED OPINIONS/ADVICE

PDA

PackRat
December 15, 2003, 03:40 AM
Hello Everyone,
I have been a longtime lurker here but am a member of several other gun related forums.

My story/dilema is a little drawn out so please bear with me!

I know a collector only from his postings on a forum. We have e-mailed each other on several occasions because we have similar interests.. I have given him the "heads up" on two really hard to find guns in the past year that were for sale in my city. I would have loved to own these guns myself but there was no way I could afford them so I passed the info on to him. He bought both of these guns but didn't even shoot me an e-mail saying thanks. It would have been nice but no biggie.

Because of one of these e-mails I know this fellow has a unique and very valuable gun. This gun is missing some accessories that it was originally sold with. These items are worth perhaps $1000 on the open market. They would be worth ten times that to this guy.

Wouldn't you know it, I found the dealer who owns these items, is well aware of their value to the specific gun, and won't sell them to anyone but the owner of the gun in question. I don't have a favorable opinion of this "dealer" at all. If I needed a bottle of Hoppes I'd drive ten miles out of my way to avoid giving him my business. He's the type of guy that if he knows you really need something he'll double the price. A real shyster.

Normally I wouldn't even think about profiting from a situation such as this. If the guy I gave the heads up to sent me a one word e-mail, "Thanks", I wouldn't be writing this post.

Should I negotiate a price with the dealer?

I'd really like to hear some of your opinions about this one. How do finders fees work.

PackRat

If you enjoyed reading about "Finder's Fee? I NEED OPINIONS/ADVICE" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mete
December 15, 2003, 08:00 AM
Finders fees are used for many different items . But if there is a finders fee it must be stated up front. Legitimate, ethical business always starts out with all the conditions clearly stated before the transaction.

dinosaur
December 15, 2003, 11:33 AM
Similar situation. A couple of years ago at a local dealer (who I do happen to like:D) had a rare pistol for sale. It was fairly expensive so I posted on the board that caters to that brand. I asked what would be considered a fair price. One poster said it was too much. I wasn`t that interested anyway and so I let it go.

This same poster then asked that since I wasn`t interested would it be ok if I gave him the dealer`s info. No problem. I gave him the name & address of the dealer and this fellow told me if he made a deal on the gun he`d send me a $50 finders fee. At no time did I ask for one and I didn`t expect it. I`d do the same for anyone anytime. Remember, I didn`t go out of my way find this gun.

I just happened to be at the dealer when this fellow called. Yeah, sounds good but it`s true. :what: I got on the phone with him and he asked me to describe the gun. It was flawless but remember, I didn`t know the value, he supposedly did. Well, he bought it. It cost him more than the original price and I never heard from him again.:confused:

The moral, to me anyway is if I do a favor for someone, I don`t expect anything in return. That way there`s no hard feelings. My "reward" so to speak is I still buy from the same dealer and I get decent prices.

PackRat
December 15, 2003, 10:41 PM
Any other comments?

PackRat

Psssniper
December 15, 2003, 11:00 PM
Make your deal with the guy selling, for example.

"Hey Mr Seller of that rare item, if I find you a buyer would you kick me down some $$$ ?"

Just my two cents

LifeNRA
December 15, 2003, 11:04 PM
If you dont care for the dealer and the collector is never thankful for your help then I know what I would do. I would walk away from it and never let it bother me again. If it was meant to be then fate will bring them together without your help :D . But thats just me.

Standing Wolf
December 15, 2003, 11:49 PM
He bought both of these guns but didn't even shoot me an e-mail saying thanks.

Rude. Definitely Rude. Nobody I'd care to know.

Mute
December 16, 2003, 12:07 PM
It's a free market. As long as you're not cheating anyone, I don't see the problem.

grampster
December 16, 2003, 02:47 PM
I think I would get a modicum of perverse satisfaction:evil: in NOT getting the dealer and the buyer together under these circumstances. The seller is a distasteful person (by your standards) and the buyer is a rude fellow that takes advantage of friendly help. So take your joy in knowing something that neither of them do.:neener:

Other than that I subscribe to the golden rule, and I would probably have a guilty conscience about what I told you to do and eventually would bring both of them together, get no thanks from the buyer and a good screwing from the dealer at a later date. Of course I have always subscribed to the theory of buy HIGH and sell LOW.:banghead:

:D grampster:D

harpethriver
December 16, 2003, 03:33 PM
The monetary value of anything is what a person is willing to pay-doesn't matter who the person is or what the item is-doesn't even matter what the circumstances are. Go thru the scenario mentally-if you do the deal and can sleep at night and live with yourself then go for it. If you have doubts- then discretion is the better part of valor. Doesn't sound like you owe anybody any favors here. Lastly-you could always rely on the advice of that sage philosopher W.C. Fields-"never smarten up a chump".

RustyHammer
December 16, 2003, 03:41 PM
You should play BOTH sides of the game. A finder's fee from the seller and a finders fee from the buyer. You know, sort of like in real estate.

Randy63
December 16, 2003, 07:48 PM
Forget about these two guys. Common courtesy is far from common these days.

Randy

esheato
December 16, 2003, 08:03 PM
So be the exception when it comes to common courtesy. The dealer is a shyster. The buyer obviously has money to burn, and if they're worth that much to him he'll pick them up and the shyster will double the price.

Dealer gets a sale and the buyer gets his just reward; being overcharged.

Done deal.

esheato...

Bill Hook
December 16, 2003, 08:09 PM
If I couldn't buy the items and resell them, then I'd keep both of these jerks from finding each other through any action of mine. Helping out a fellow collector should be a reciprocal arangement, even if you only get thanks in return. The guy proved it wasn't a fluke by sh-tting on you twice. I think I'd keep these items location to myself and pass them on to someone who might really appreciate it later on.

Another interesting sleazeball thread:

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16082

PackRat
December 16, 2003, 08:51 PM
I'd like to thank everyone for their words of wisdom.

Originally posted by RustyHammer:
You should play BOTH sides of the game. A finder's fee from the seller and a finders fee from the buyer. You know, sort of like in real estate.

There's nothing wrong with this approach. I'd be afraid I'd just be setting myself up for "being the bad guy" in a small collector community. I don't need that.

Originally posted by LifeNRA:
If you dont care for the dealer and the collector is never thankful for your help then I know what I would do. I would walk away from it and never let it bother me again. If it was meant to be then fate will bring them together without your help

This was my gut instinct before I posted this thread. This is what I will do.

Originally posted by grampster:
Other than that I subscribe to the golden rule, and I would probably have a guilty conscience about what I told you to do and eventually would bring both of them together, get no thanks from the buyer and a good screwing from the dealer at a later date. Of course I have always subscribed to the theory of buy HIGH and sell LOW.

This is ideally what I would have liked to do. There was another occassion I didn't relate in my original post when I did this "collector" another small favor....again without even a thank you. I really doubt I'm going to have a guilty conscience about this one. I guess all this shows me I need to be a little more selfless;)

Thanks Again,

PackRat

If you enjoyed reading about "Finder's Fee? I NEED OPINIONS/ADVICE" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!