Trail Boss powder in 223? AR15?

PDA

BrokenWheel
October 2, 2010, 01:02 PM
I just came across some Trail Boss loading data for the 223 on the Hodgdon website. I've used the powder in my SW500, but never thought of using in a rifle casing.
I was wondering if anyone has tried it in a AR-15? I just dont know if the powder has enough "oomph" to cycle the bolt system on a DI AR15?

If you enjoyed reading about "Trail Boss powder in 223? AR15?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
October 2, 2010, 02:34 PM
The only Trail Boss data I could find on the website was for a 55 grain FMJ over 4.0 grains.

That only gives 1,074 FPS, and there is no doubt in my military mind it would not function any gas operated rifle.

It would make a nice .22 RF power single-shot out of it though.

rc

R.W.Dale
October 2, 2010, 05:04 PM
Having loaded TB in 30/06 I can say that it's about as small a caliber as you can pour this powder in without major contortions.

rcmodel
October 2, 2010, 05:11 PM
SO, sorta like stuffing Cheerios into a gnats hind end? :D

rc

taliv
October 2, 2010, 05:20 PM
i used to load TB in 223 for a subsonic load. worked pretty well. the only reason you'd use it is because it takes up a lot of space. (or if you just happen to have it laying around)

BrokenWheel
October 2, 2010, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the answers (although not what I wanted to hear!)

Considering that TB is working at such low pressures the recommended amount is 4 grains (via their website) - but that doesn't even fill the cartridge up to the 1/2 way mark, anyone try 5 grains ? Maybe enough to give it some cycling?

ljnowell
October 2, 2010, 05:35 PM
SO, sorta like stuffing Cheerios into a gnats hind end?

:D Thats great.

rcmodel
October 2, 2010, 05:37 PM
I doubt you would get cycling with the case stuffed clear full.

Chamber pressure would be getting up there, but gas port pressure 12" on up the barrel would still be less then with slower burning .223 powder it is designed to work with.

rc

jamesicus
October 2, 2010, 06:33 PM
Krochus wrote:
Having loaded TB in 30/06 I can say that it's about as small a caliber as you can pour this powder in without major contortions.
Actually I use Trail Boss reduced loads in my .257 Weatherby Magnum Vanguard rifle with no difficulty:

20 grains of Hodgdon IMR "Trail Boss" powder - Weatherby nine times fired brass (full length resized) - Speer 25 cal 87 gr hollow point bullets (not crimped) - Remington 9 1/2M magnum rifle primers:

http://jp29.org/rifle05.JPG

Be sure to refer to the data published by Hodgdon relating to their IMR Trail Boss Reduced Loads for Rifle and Pistol (http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf) prior to formulating your own handloads.

JP

If you enjoyed reading about "Trail Boss powder in 223? AR15?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!