Savage 110 iron sights?

PDA

cliffjr
October 3, 2010, 12:12 PM
I just picked up a very nice savage 110 in .270 I will be using for deer. The rifle came with iron sights and a scope mounted on see through mounts. The scope sits a little higher then I like and I am thinking about removing the sights to be able to mount the scope lower. This leaves the following questions:

1. How do I remove the sights and how difficult is the process.
2. What if anything do I need to fill in the holes left after removal.
3. Is there any reason why I should leave the setup as is.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 110 iron sights?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
smokey262
October 3, 2010, 12:33 PM
I just removed a set of open sights from a Savage barrel

There was a screw in the front ramp under the sight. Drift it out to the right, then remove the screw

The rear was held on with one screw

I used 6-48 plug screws from Brownells to fill the holes

dodge
October 3, 2010, 06:02 PM
You don't really need to remove the sights if you don't want to. I have a Savage 110 with low mounted scope and factory sights no problem opening the Butler Creek scope covers that I have on the scope.

Abel
October 3, 2010, 08:39 PM
You don't really need to remove the sights if you don't want to. I have a Savage 110 with low mounted scope and factory sights no problem opening the Butler Creek scope covers that I have on the scope.

Exactly. Make sure you sight in those irons. That way if your scope fails, and they sometimes do, you'll have a quick backup. Just get some medium height rings and mount a 32mm or 40mm sized scope.

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 110 iron sights?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!