Are ammo prices going up at your local Walmart?

PDA

hometheaterman
October 3, 2010, 01:33 PM
I wondered if this was just my store, or if they were going up everywhere. Federal .40 S&W had been $13.97 a box. Last night when I went in it was $14.97 a box. The 9mm Federal was $10.47 a box and had previously been $9.97. Is this a national think, or is it just my local store jacking up the prices?

If you enjoyed reading about "Are ammo prices going up at your local Walmart?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FatPants
October 3, 2010, 01:42 PM
Yep, they went up here in Raleigh, NC.

Sebastian the Ibis
October 3, 2010, 02:28 PM
The 9mm Federal was $10.47 a box and had previously been $9.97

Damn! I knew I should have bought another dozen boxes.

blackrussian
October 3, 2010, 02:42 PM
The prices went up nation-wide.

hometheaterman
October 3, 2010, 03:02 PM
Damn! I knew I should have bought another dozen boxes. Exactly what I was thinking. Oh well.

jcwit
October 3, 2010, 03:17 PM
WalMart prices are going up on just about everything, not just ammo. Must now shop carefully there now.

cbrgator
October 3, 2010, 03:19 PM
Went way up at my Wal-Mart too. Not too pleased but what can I do?

writerinmo
October 3, 2010, 03:35 PM
Reload...

Sebastian the Ibis
October 3, 2010, 03:54 PM
cbrgator

Which Wallmart are you going to? Is there another one, besides the Kendall Wallmart, that regularly stocks 9mm?

ambidextrous1
October 3, 2010, 04:07 PM
The spot price of copper hit a two-year high last week; and I expect to see additional increases. This will necessarily impact the price of ammunition and components.

TexasGunbie
October 3, 2010, 04:39 PM
Only a few walmart here carries ammo =(.

TH3180
October 3, 2010, 05:03 PM
I get my ammo from other B&M stores over W/M. I don't like to sit and wait for ammo, then have them walk me out to my car like I have done something wrong. None for me thanks, plus I get it cheaper then I can at W/M.

Encoreman
October 3, 2010, 05:09 PM
I believe it is not just ammo, look at milk, bread, other goods. It's all going up!!

hometheaterman
October 3, 2010, 05:29 PM
My Walmart doesn't walk me out to the car, and most of the time they have what I want instock. I wasn't happy to see the price increase, but it's still cheaper than any local gun shops by far. Seems like the local gun shops want closer to $16-20 for a box of 9mm and around $20 for most .40. I looked online to see if I could find some cheaper, and I couldn't find it cheaper online either. So while I don't like the increase, it's not like I can get it cheaper somewhere else.

DasFriek
October 3, 2010, 05:36 PM
I walked out of WM 2 days ago when i saw the price on .40 and no .45 in stock.
I went to my LGS and bought 6 boxs cheaper.
The only decent price WM has is on 9mm and i dont even own one.

Big Bill
October 3, 2010, 05:40 PM
hometheaterman - actually those prices seem cheap to me. Better stock up now, because prices for precious metals are going to continue to climb. It's a good thing we ain't the Lone Ranger. The silver he uses for his bullets has really shot up.

mustang_steve
October 3, 2010, 05:51 PM
Lucky fellows, 9mm Federal has always been $15.box here at the local wally world.

WWB is now at about $15/box....looks like I'll need to get into reloading, and get some lead wheel weights from the tire places, this is getting too darn expensive.

MrWesson
October 3, 2010, 06:08 PM
I miss the blazer they replaced those ran about $8.

Federal was still 9.97 at my walmart but that was last week.

joed70
October 3, 2010, 06:25 PM
I agree with the comment that all Walmarts prices are going up all over. The back of their semi trucks used to say "......low prices always". I had an employee who loads their trucks tell me that has been changed. but hey.....Lowes was asking 7 dollars plus for a can of WD40....

DocCasualty
October 3, 2010, 06:39 PM
Things are improving at WM here. Yesterday for the first time in ages they had .45acp and it was $40/100pk. They also had CCI MiniMags. There were hardly any empty spots on the shelves!

jcwit
October 3, 2010, 06:40 PM
I believe only the tip of the iceberg is showing.

Erik M
October 3, 2010, 07:09 PM
Prices seem pretty stable for the easy to find calibers like .40 and 9mm. I did spy a 50 box of .380 going for nearly $40. Seems commensurate with prices on websites nowdays though, I can still get plinking ammo from Wally world cheaper than I can order it online when I compare shiping versus gas to drive to the store.

potmetal
October 3, 2010, 08:54 PM
Revolver ammo prices have risen highest in my area. .38spl is about as high as 45acp.
My local Walmart has started carrying Russian 9mm steel cased ammo under $10/box. It's marked Tulammo, I think. I haven't tried any yet.

RBH44
October 3, 2010, 09:25 PM
I haven't seen a price increase here yet. 9mm is still $9.47 for fedreal FMJ's & $14.97 for same in .45acp Guess I better get back there and buy all that I can!! I have however been doing some research on line and the absolute cheapest that I've found on line was at ammoman.com and no It's not all junk either!

pharmer
October 3, 2010, 10:05 PM
It's fall, hunting season demand always causes a modest price rise. It'll get back to normal (whatever that is) Springtime. Joe

Slider3
October 4, 2010, 12:41 AM
I purchase the majority of my ammo from Palmetto State Armory. Generally, their prices are very good.

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/

danprkr
October 4, 2010, 07:45 AM
Let's see, all prices are going up, unemployment is at 9+%, and the recession is over. :what:

doc2rn
October 4, 2010, 12:23 PM
I quit buying at WM last year when it started becoming cheaper to buy from my local range rather than at WM. $14 a box for 9mm at WM vs $9.99 at the range! I realized that their seeking a wider profit margin at my expense so vote with your wallets. When they get so much that they cant move on their shelves prices will come down.
The rising cost of metals doesnt affect the ammunition makers like that, they get a fixed price for the year usually in August.

MrOldLude
October 4, 2010, 02:34 PM
Everyone panic. You'd better buy out the shelves again.

Rittmeister
October 4, 2010, 02:37 PM
Prices are the same at my Wal-Mart, but I've only been able to buy 9mm for the last year or so. I haven't seen .45ACP on the shelf in at least that long.

Ashcons
October 4, 2010, 03:05 PM
I typically drop by the ammo counter every time I stop by Wal-Mart; probably once every couple weeks. A couple weeks ago when I stopped in, I was tempted to pick up some Federal 9mm (9.47 a box here), but held off since they had a steady supply in stock for that price for the last 6 months or so. Went shopping on Saturday and the price had jumped up to 10.47/box. They just started carrying Tula for 9.47/box, so I picked up two of those.

Looks like it IS time to start reloading - even with JUST 9mm, I think I calculated something like 1,150 rounds ROI on the cheapest bulk ammo I found online.

Onward Allusion
October 4, 2010, 05:45 PM
Yup, went up EXACTLY the same as you... it's Wally World, so they have internal price fix, er I mean adustments. :)

hometheaterman (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=91330)
Are ammo prices going up at your local Walmart?
I wondered if this was just my store, or if they were going up everywhere. Federal .40 S&W had been $13.97 a box. Last night when I went in it was $14.97 a box. The 9mm Federal was $10.47 a box and had previously been $9.97. Is this a national think, or is it just my local store jacking up the prices?

oneounceload
October 4, 2010, 05:48 PM
So the price went up a little.....my insurance is going up 30% due to the "healthcare" bill.I suppose many more things will also be going up to cover costs like that, even from the ammo makers and their retailers..called increased costs

FROGO207
October 4, 2010, 10:48 PM
If the associate at my local WM is spot on I will :banghead:. He said that the store has ALL the ammo that it will be getting for this hunting season already. No more available until next spring. There are already bare spots in the inventory and yes, it went up in price. I mostly reload so it doesn't bother me much but the .22 ammo is already getting scarce. All that was left was that crappy Rem Golden crud. I will be buying online for now I guess.:fire:

RBH44
October 4, 2010, 11:14 PM
BTW, I have NEVER been walked to my car after buying handgun ammo from wallyworld.
If they ever claim to have to, due to some policy, I will demand my money be returned immediately and inform the mngr. that I will never spend another dime there.

TomKat
October 5, 2010, 12:18 AM
Just went to 2 different WW... both had federals $10.47, but only one had the tulammo $9.47. Anyone know if the tulammo is crap or ok?

Scout Dork
October 5, 2010, 12:37 AM
When I buy ammo, I write the price with tax and the date on the box.
9mm Win. 100 box went up $2.00 from last aug.'09 to aug. '10 my local Wal-Mart.
The local WM also carries the UMC 250 "Value Pack" but after doing the math, it was still .04/round cheaper to buy the Win. 100. The Big-5 ad price was $3 more for the UMC, plus tax. The cardboard hasn't complained about brand.
.45 acp at WM was/is cheaper than academy sports/sports authority buy $14/100 rounds. The local WM only rarely carries .45 acp but when it's that big of a difference, you have to buy some.
I haven't bought/shot .40 this year. Got a new 9mm:)
I haven't prices for .22, but I can say that it also has gone up. Just have to make sure that you are buying the same amounts/brand: 383; 500; 525; or 550 and comparing the same prices.

Most of the price changes were around the first of the year, that is when I see a price difference on my boxes.

Side note. When I buy ammo at the WM's I've gone to, you pay for the ammo at the sporting goods counter, then you can continue to shop.

ScottsGT
October 5, 2010, 01:50 PM
Before the last election I was buying the bulk Federal 550rd. .22LR for my Spikes AR upper at $10 a box. It's pushing $16 a box now. Wish I had stocked up earlier.

VegasAR15
October 5, 2010, 02:16 PM
Anyone know if the tulammo is crap or ok?

I have ran about 100 rounds of it through my LCP without a problem. It is the only .380 my Walmart has had in stock for a year, and it didn't last long.

Silent Bob
October 5, 2010, 04:46 PM
Tula ammo is the same thing as Wolf ammo (at least, when it comes to Wolf steel-cased ammo made in Russia, not the brass stuff from Prvi Partizan in Serbia or .22LR from Germany)

Kentucky_Rifleman
October 5, 2010, 06:09 PM
After getting burned on the last ammo "shortage" (which we did to ourselves, by the way). A lot of folks I know are still stockpiling. My guess is that it will take another year or so for things to have evened out and there to be a standing surplus again. As for other things going up, that's inflation. Inflation, nationally, isn't bad right now.

KR

HGUNHNTR
October 6, 2010, 02:21 PM
^ Right, but the possibility of significant deflation on the horizon will probably put a kink in my ammo buying.

I don't think it is a bad time to start buying at least a percentage of what you will need for the year.

jkulysses
October 6, 2010, 02:34 PM
Same here the prices went up a week ago or so.

hometheaterman
October 7, 2010, 01:22 AM
One other question for you guys. Is your Walmarts starting to carry the Federal Power Shok ammo in the blue boxes again? Or does yours still only have the red box with the WM in the product code that only Walmart has? I saw ours had some 243 and one other kind in the blue boxes without the WM in the product code again. Previously it's been in red boxes with the WM. The other calibers were still in red boxes. I'm just wondering if they are going to start carrying the normal box again once they sell their supply of their special box. Or if they just found some old ammo from a year or so back and put it on the shelves. Anyone know?

RimfireChris
October 7, 2010, 07:40 AM
It's been steady for the last couple of months here in WA.

Ragnar Danneskjold
October 7, 2010, 07:49 AM
Even at $10.47, it's a lot cheaper than the $14+ it is everywhere else. I see the same bottom shelf ammo at places like Cabelas and Dunhams for up to $16 a box. I have no idea how any store can expect to sell FMJ 9mm for anything more than around $10 a box. We're not talking premium self defense hollow points here. It's FMJ. Practice ammo. Are there really people out there shelling out $15,16 per box for FMJ 9mm?

mustang_steve
October 7, 2010, 11:30 PM
Ragnar, I used to be paying $25 for a box of 9mm FMJ.....in some areas ammo prices are really that horrible. I lost quite a bit of weight at that time, as I refused to let the ammo prices interfere with my practice (came out of food money as there wasn't anything else to cut).

Ky Larry
October 7, 2010, 11:36 PM
I reload about all of my centerfire ammo so I don't pay much attention to its prices. I buy a lot of .22lr ammo at Wally World. Price on it has been holding steady. The price of some .22lr bricks and bulk packs has dropped from $19.99 to $16.99 at Sportsmans Warehouse here. Primer and powder prices have been slowly dropping. Bullets are available but are still too high.

ritepath
October 7, 2010, 11:41 PM
Federal 9mm went up a dollar or so, but I noticed today that the WWB 45 had went from 43.xx to 40.xx

And has anyone else noticed their WM started carrying Tula Ammo? Ours had 223,9,40, and 45 in stock today.

9mm was 9.47
45 was 14.97

it really stinks that the federal went up, I'd bought and shot a bunch of it without any problems. I bought a box of the 9 and 45 just to give it a shot.

lookshigh123
October 7, 2010, 11:43 PM
What you've bought my be great stuff.

Blackbeard
October 8, 2010, 12:30 AM
Not just ammo -- Coke Zero is up a buck a case! The horror!

KAK
October 8, 2010, 12:43 AM
Yes weird, ammo is going down everywhere else. Soon they will cross.

mnrivrat
October 8, 2010, 04:45 AM
Creat a shortage - spark a demand - raise the prices.

The corporate way of doing business.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are ammo prices going up at your local Walmart?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!