M1 Carbine Classroom Dummy Cutaway Rifle

PDA

sentinel89
October 3, 2010, 02:00 PM
Good afternoon,

I was wodering if anyone knew anything about an M1 Carbine classroom, cutaway or dummy rifle? My dad was a USMC firearms instructor and he's had it for as long as I can remember.

It appears to be 2X the size of a real carbine. It is cutaway to show some of the various internal working mechanisms. Unfortunately, it has no magazine or ammo. I did some research online and found that these used green plastic dummy cartridges.

It's in very good-excellent condition. I broke my camera and won't have a new one for a few weeks, or I would have posted some pics. Without the mag or ammo would it have any collector interest?

He's looking at getting rid of it, and asked if I might be able to find out what it's worth. So, I figured I'd ask some of the experts. If anyone might know what it's value is, or anybody that might be interested in it, please let me know.

Thanks for your time, cooperation and expertise. It is greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Carbine Classroom Dummy Cutaway Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WNTFW
October 3, 2010, 02:44 PM
Sentinel,
I have never seen 1 of the M1 Carbine. I did see 1 of the Garand. I have no idea of the value. You could try looking on an auction site. Gunbroker or even Ebay can often give you an idea of what things go for. It does sound rare.
I would love to have something like that but doubt I could be high bidder.

SharpsDressedMan
October 3, 2010, 03:54 PM
I saw a much more sophisticated and oversized steel construction 1919 Machinegun trainer go on "American Pickers" a few weeks ago for $1300. It was alot more unusual, detailed more, and constructed more heavily than the M1 Carbine trainer that you have. I would think that an interested military collector might give $400-$600, if they thought yours was a fine example. The truth is, few collect such things, have room for them for dislays, etc, or have an interest in them. You will have to look far and wide, or see if ebay will let you put it on there to sell it. Maybe Craig's List. There are all kinds of people out there....you might get lucky.

Zanad
October 3, 2010, 06:37 PM
not only has an oversized training rifle turned on american picker, but also turned up on pawn stars. I believe it war a BAR and they got around $1200 for it.

SharpsDressedMan
October 3, 2010, 07:21 PM
Zanad, I'll defer to your recollection. It might have been a BAR and on the other show. I know it wasn't a carbine, and we are both pretty close on the price.:o

amd6547
October 3, 2010, 08:20 PM
You should ask about it over at the carbine forum on the CMP site...those guys can help with value, and somebody might want it.
http://www.thecmp.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=6

Orlando
October 3, 2010, 09:46 PM
probably closer to $2000.00 if it comes with assecories

sentinel89
October 4, 2010, 08:38 AM
It's just the bare bones rifle. There are no accessories with it; no mag, no ammo, nothing else. I've been checking online and can find very little information on it, other than it was made for classroom purposes and at 2X size because it was easier for soldiers to see in a classroom environment.

I saw a Pawn Stars episode where a guy brought in a pair of trainer guns. I believe one was a BAR and the other was a 1919A6. If I remember correctly, the guy wanted $20K for the pair and the shop owners pretty much laughed and sent him on his way.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your knowledge and insight. If anyone else has any other information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

rscalzo
October 4, 2010, 09:05 AM
Springfield Armory had a large cutaway Garand on the second floor where it wasn't seen by the normal tours. that was a few years ago.

Carl N. Brown
October 4, 2010, 11:59 AM
I thought the one on American Pickers was a Browning Machine Gun (Model 1917 or 1919) not a Browning Automatic Rifle (Model 1918).

There is limited collector interest in these cutaways and I vaguely recall a local Army Navy Surplus store had one as a conversation piece in the 1950s. I would be surprised if a Class III dealer would not want one for a wall display.

Carl N. Brown
October 4, 2010, 12:33 PM
Larry Ruth, "M1 Carbine: Design, Development & Production", Gun Room Press, 1979.

Page 204, Figure 8-87 illustrates a "Cutaway training aid, twice actual size working models: A. M1 model with 15 round magazine and plastic model cartridges B. M2 model with 15 round magazine and plastic model cartridges." There were no 30 round model magazines.

Trebor
October 4, 2010, 04:15 PM
The only thing I can add is it obviously won't be worth as much as if it were complete with the mag and dummy cartridges.

Still, put it on Ebay, set the reserve for the minimum you would take for it, and see what happens. It'll bring in a few hundred at at the absolute low end at least.

Big Boy
October 4, 2010, 08:19 PM
There were two different encounters with these trainers on the history channel. As every one has said.

One instance was on America Pickers. It was a 1919 Machine gun. Got like $1500 or so.

The other was on Pawn Stars. It was a BAR and something else. I believe he got about 1500 for the pair, can't remember exactly though.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Carbine Classroom Dummy Cutaway Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!