What info must be "logged out" if you sell a C&R firearm?

PDA

Balrog
October 3, 2010, 03:52 PM
If you are a C&R licensee, and sell a firearm to a non licensee, what information do you need to record on the buyer in your bound book?

If you enjoyed reading about "What info must be "logged out" if you sell a C&R firearm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dogtown tom
October 3, 2010, 03:58 PM
Name and address

Balrog
October 3, 2010, 04:39 PM
What about DOB or Driver license number?

deadin
October 3, 2010, 05:05 PM
Right out of the book....
Column 1: Date
Column 2: Name
Column 3: Date of Birth if no Drivers LicenseL
Column 4: DL license.No. If no DL then other ID used.
Column 5: If alien, documentation used to establish residency.

Note: Address is not required to be entered, but it must be checked to assure that the non-FFL is from your State.

EOD Guy
October 5, 2010, 01:02 PM
Right out of the book....
Column 2: Name
Column 3: Date of Birth if no Drivers LicenseL
Column 4: DL license.No. If no DL then other ID used.
Column 5: If alien, documentation used to establish residency.

Note: Address is not required to be entered, but it must be checked to assure that the non-FFL is from your State.

I don't know what book you used, but it's certainly wasn't 27CFR.

Here is the information right out of the regulation:

Disposition Section

Column 2: Name and address or name and license No. (NOTE: license No. means FFL No.)
Column 3: Date of birth if nonlicensee
Column 4: Driver's license No. or other identification if nonlicensee.
Column 5: For transfers to aliens, documentation used to establish residency.

Here's a link to the actual regulation. The format is in Section 478.125(f)(3).

27CFR 478.125 (http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2010/aprqtr/27cfr478.125.htm)

deadin
October 5, 2010, 05:28 PM
Interesting!
I am using a "FIREARMS Record of Receipt & Disposition Bound Book" I purchased from Brownells about 5 years ago.
The "Receipt" section calls for Name and Address or Name and Lic. No.
The "Disposition" section has columns for Date, Name (no mention of address) then three more columns with special instructions for sales to non-FFLs. These are the ones I posted as the OP asked about non-FFL sales.

There are also additional instructions titled "For Transfer Of ALL OTHER FIREARMS" which calls for Address OR License No. if licensee OR Form 4473 Serial No. if Forms 4473 filed numerically.

(The 4473 only applies to FFL01s)

There is a section stating that "this book and page format meets the requirements of Amended Regulations in 27 CFR Parts 72, 478 and 479 as approved by the BATF effective 2 May 1988."

Have the regs changed since then??

EOD Guy
October 5, 2010, 10:09 PM
The regulation hasn't changed. The format you are using is in Table 4 of Section 478.125 and is for dealers. The proper format for collectors is in Table 5 and is formated as I indicated above. See the url I posted.

I haven't seen a Brownells book for a while but I thought it had an additional column that combined tables 4 and 5.

deadin
October 6, 2010, 01:24 AM
I thought it had an additional column that combined tables 4 and 5.

It does. And it has instructions for use by a C&R, but the disposition "Name" column doesn't mention anything about "address".
In looking through my entries, I find that I haven't sold to anybody that didn't have either a FFL or a Drivers Llcense, so I've got solid ID on them.

I've bought from non licensees and have addresses for all of them as the Receipt columns are Name AND Address

EOD Guy
October 6, 2010, 03:13 PM
I doubt that you have a problem. That book has been used by so many collectors for so many years that I'm sure BATF is OK with it.

writerinmo
October 6, 2010, 09:57 PM
I created my own bound book for my C&R FFL and had it printed up by the same company that I use for my other books. In the disposition area, I have a space for the date, one that says "Name/Address or Name/FFL", then a subsection headed "if non-licensee" DOB, Drivers License or other ID, and Alien ID.

If you enjoyed reading about "What info must be "logged out" if you sell a C&R firearm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!