Emergency preparedness, a new take

PDA

bigalexe
October 4, 2010, 12:07 AM
I was looking through papers and found the "72-hour Emergency Preparedness" book (too big to be called a pamphlet) which our household received some time ago from the county office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management.

This book tells you what to do in various situations, primarily saying you should have enough supplies for 72 hours of staying put. It also mentions what to have on hand should an evacuation be necessary. I don't think I should have to mention this but any discussion of security is completely absent.

A link to the county webpage is here:
http://www.stclaircounty.org/Offices/emerg_mngmt/72hours.aspx

Now here is where this touches firearms.
It has been discussed that in a number of situations where disasters occur that firearms immediately become commodities, in some cases before food and water. The firearm secures your family, and ultimately your supplies.

IDEA:
I think it would be a good idea if someone created a pamphlet explaining the need for a firearm and measures one can take involving personal and family security in a disaster situation where a community is forced to sit tight or to evacuate. These informational packets can be used as a follow-up to government supported disaster plans.

IE: This is a sort of stealth pro-firearm idea. It doesn't say "support the NRA" or "Vote pro-gun," just explains how a firearm may be necessary in a time of need.

If you enjoyed reading about "Emergency preparedness, a new take" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Big Bill
October 4, 2010, 02:42 AM
Here's a fairly good, up to date, article on survival guns. Just print it off and put it with your other info (after you read it of course).

http://www.bombshock.com/weapons_combat/firearms/survival_guns.html

bigalexe
October 4, 2010, 12:06 PM
Good Link, article could use a little cleanup factually though and my head exploded when I got to the comments.

It's a little extreme for what I was going for because it is talking bluntly about societal breakdown as in EOTWAWKI, and my intention was to matchup with more commonly discussed scenarios like localized natural disasters (and defending from looters thereafter), and urban riots.

So basically I like the article in some respects but it is a bit heavy handed and some of his "facts" I disagree with like that you can't defend yourself with anything smaller than 9mm, or with a revolver because it's not a hi-cap.

wheelgunslinger
October 6, 2010, 11:46 AM
So, rewrite it for your purposes using the basic premise and layout.

Big Bill
October 6, 2010, 04:25 PM
Check James Wesley Rawles site here:

http://www.survivalblog.com/index.html

It's one of the best on the web.

If you enjoyed reading about "Emergency preparedness, a new take" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!