PLEASE HELP - Gun Problem

PDA

gun crazy newfie
October 4, 2010, 10:45 AM
Hi everyone. I have a Weatherby Vanguard chambered in 257 Wby. I have only shot this gun eight time at the range and today I took it out of the safe to mount some new optics on it and discovered that the bolt is not locking up all the way. It is only locking up about half way and then the bolt throw will not down any further, but it will still fire. Can someone please tell me how to fix this. I live about four hours from a gunsmith so taking it there is not an option at this time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "PLEASE HELP - Gun Problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
highorder
October 4, 2010, 12:41 PM
Start by removing the bolt and cleaning the lugs and lug recesses.

Coal Dragger
October 4, 2010, 12:59 PM
What highorder said. Start by making sure everything is clean and free of obstructions.

It is highly unlikely your rifle went from perfectly functional to not functional overnight just sitting around. It could have gotten dirty, however.

Remove the bolt and clean all the locking lugs, inspect the lugs for any signs of being deformed. Clean out and inspect the receiver bolt raceways, and the area where the bolt locks up. Inspect and clean out the stock where your bolt handle turns down, make sure nothing is obstructing it from going all the way down. Inspect and clean out the chamber and barrel as well.

Also make sure the safety is off as your rifle may have a bolt lockout feature that will prevent the bolt from operating when on safe.

Good luck.

Ditch-Tiger
October 4, 2010, 01:21 PM
Did you experience this problem after you mounted the bases?

If so, you may have reversed the screws and placed the rear (long) screws in the front holes causing them to extend into the rifle, stopping your bolt from closing.

nelsonal
October 4, 2010, 03:12 PM
I'd echo ditch-tiger. Only time I've ever had a bolt not close all the way was when there was a screw protruding into the action preventing full lock up.

Average Joe
October 4, 2010, 03:37 PM
Undo what you did, and see if it works . If so, you will know what the problem is.

gun crazy newfie
October 5, 2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks all for everything. You were right, I had reversed the base screws causing the long screws to extend into the gun. That was a dumb mistake on my part and thanks to you guys for setting me straight....LOL

Al Thompson
October 5, 2010, 10:36 AM
Not dumb, lots of us have done it. :)

nastynatesfish
October 5, 2010, 01:52 PM
If you evert plan on having it rebarreled that the threads on the barrel will be marred a bit. You'll have to hit them with a small drill bit to take the burrs out or else you'll chew up the reciever threads. Ask me how I know. The reciever tap cost about 80 bucks to buy so save yourself the time and money to keep it in mind if you plan on removing the barrel.

Captcurt
October 5, 2010, 05:47 PM
Don't feel bad. Most of us have been there.:rolleyes: That is how most of us learn.;)

W.E.G.
October 5, 2010, 07:13 PM
You screwed yourself!

(I crack myself up... http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/smileys/smiley_abused.gif )

If you enjoyed reading about "PLEASE HELP - Gun Problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!