Why does everyone say ".45 ACP"?

PDA

Boberama
October 4, 2010, 03:18 PM
I don't like it as much as saying 45 Auto. Same goes for 380 Auto, 32 Auto, etc. Anything with ACP on the end.
Sounds cleaner and more streamlined.

Also, who spells 9mm as "9 m/m" anymore?
http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr158/boberamatheclown/questionmark.jpg?t=1286219916

If you enjoyed reading about "Why does everyone say ".45 ACP"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TX1911fan
October 4, 2010, 03:28 PM
When did anyone ever write it as m/m? That makes no sense at all. The abbreviation for millimeter has never been, nor will it ever be, m/m.

I prefer ACP myself.

SuperNaut
October 4, 2010, 03:29 PM
I usually call it "John Moses Browning's Greatest Achievement, The Forty-Five Automatic Slash Autoloading Cartridge Slash Colt Pistol Caliber Slash Pistol Format." It is a mouthful, but it keeps irrelevant conversation to a minimum.

hardworker
October 4, 2010, 03:30 PM
m/m is the engineering unit for strain. Pretty interesting concept when applied to ammunition.

Jeff82
October 4, 2010, 04:01 PM
Because that's what it is?

russ69
October 4, 2010, 04:05 PM
45 Auto or 45 Auto Rim? 45 ACP narrows it down a bit better.

Thanx, Russ

Flintknapper
October 4, 2010, 04:06 PM
Hmmmmmmm....I thought m/m was not any particular unit....but rather denoted "by mass", usually expressed as a percent.

But....I've been out of school for a long time. :D

Anyway, I also say .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol)

daorhgih
October 4, 2010, 04:06 PM
To set it apart from 45LC, 45-70, et al. You are in good and polite company; you will tend to not be abused here. Ask away. Learn at your leisure.

skipbadger
October 4, 2010, 04:10 PM
I just call it Colt 45. Works every time...

Trebor
October 4, 2010, 04:11 PM
Maybe because .45 ACP is the proper name for the cartridge? (Or at least the proper abbreviation).

youngda9
October 4, 2010, 04:14 PM
"Why does everyone say ".45 ACP"? "

I don't say ".45 ACP"...kinda distroys your entire theory eh?

I say "45" or "45 auto".

hardworker
October 4, 2010, 04:14 PM
Technically the unit m/m is unitless since since you're dividing a unit by itself. But in the engineering world that is the unit of strain.

Ala Dan
October 4, 2010, 04:22 PM
I most certainly call the .45 auto, .45 ACP; and as well the 9mm, a
9m/m Parabellum; the last meaning of course, "for war"~! ;) :D

younggun619
October 4, 2010, 04:31 PM
45 ACP stands for Automatic colt pistol, It was a knew round made to be fired out of a semiautomatic pistol that was magazine fed, some what new technology for the time.

daorhgih
October 4, 2010, 04:33 PM
NOT: "9m/m Parabellum: for war!!!" but 9mm, military, as opposed to kurtz.

oneounceload
October 4, 2010, 04:38 PM
Parabellum is comprised of two Latin words:
"para" meaning "for", and
"bellum", meaning "war"

Actually, that cartridge's proper designation is its metric size: 9 X 19

As to someone calling it 45 Colt - to many that indicates the 45 Long Colt, aka Colt 45 of single action army fame

45ACP is the proper designation.........but then we Americans love to shorten everything to the least amount of syllables..............

Oyeboten
October 4, 2010, 04:39 PM
Could also be called 11.5x22 ( .45 Autocolt)...and, .35 Calibre I s'pose ( 9 Millimetre ).

I always preferred .45 Auto to .45 ACP also.

mm is also a popular entertainer and singer I think...or maybe it's m&m or m 'n' m, pronounced "em-uh-nem"...which is also a candy, of course.

james_bond
October 4, 2010, 04:57 PM
Also .45 ACP differentiates it from the more recent .45 GAP (a great answer to a question that nobody asked)

BBQLS1
October 4, 2010, 05:19 PM
.45 ACP as there are other .45 Auto calibers. IMO, it sounds right too.

MMCSRET
October 4, 2010, 05:49 PM
My 1942 vintage Colt New Service double action revolver is stamped on the barrel
"45 A.C.P." Maybe because Colts Patented Firearms Manufacturing Company named it what they wanted and probably knew what they were talking about.

-eaux-
October 4, 2010, 06:00 PM
Because that is what it is.
.45ACP is already a short way of saying what it is: .45 Automatic Colt Pistol.
when I hear "Colt .45" I assume that you are referring to ".45 Long Colt".
An entirely different cartridge that will prove quite troublesome if you try loading it into your M1911.

Dokkalfar
October 4, 2010, 06:08 PM
mm is millimeters.

m/m in terms of strain is actually (Δm)/m and is the change in length of an object divided by the original length. Based on stress pulling on it.

So, I don't have much of a clue on how m/m would apply to any particular round.. esp when the 9 is the diameter...

Boberama
October 4, 2010, 06:12 PM
In Massad Ayoob's book "In the Gravest Extreme" he calls a 9mm a 9m/m.
http://www.gunlaws.com/images/Photo/GravestExtreme.jpg
I've never seen it anywhere else. Not even in pre-war books.

Jim Watson
October 4, 2010, 06:12 PM
.45 Auto is what other companies call it so they don't have to put any reference to Colt on their knockoffs, even in abbreviation. Same reason Marlin and others got .44-40 into the vocabulary to replace .44 WCF (Winchester Central Fire.)

When Savage was making pistols pre WW I, they actually had ammunition loaded with headstamp .380 SAP for Savage Automatic Pistol, even though it was the same in all respects as .380 ACP. And Colt cataloged revolvers in .38 Colt Special which differed from .38 S&W Special only in the slightly flat bullet nose.

DoubleTapDrew
October 4, 2010, 06:13 PM
How about calling 9mm: 380 Long, since .380 is called 9mm Kurtz (short) in some countries.
I just say 45 but if I get a .45LC, or .45GAP or something I'll probably start adding ACP.

Boberama
October 4, 2010, 06:20 PM
I don't say .577/.450 Martini-Henry. I say 450 Martini.
I don't say .357 Magnum. I say 357.

You don't need to be a genius to know that I'm talking about a 45 Auto and not a '45 Auto.
http://imcdb.org/images/121/256.jpg

jmorris
October 4, 2010, 06:28 PM
The 45 LC, 45 GAP and 45 super are a few reasons. The 451 Detonics and 460 Rowland changed the name a bit more to prevent confusion on their “45 super’s”

JohnBT
October 4, 2010, 06:55 PM
I put m/m into google and here's what I got.

"M&M'S Chocolate Candy - Official website."

Now we're talking.

Ragnar Danneskjold
October 4, 2010, 07:50 PM
As others have said, there are other .45s out there. Neither .45 Auto or .45 Colt can really be used as they are a lot closer to other cartridges. And of course just .45 can refer to any of them. In addition, ACP actually stands for the full real name of the round. Browning himself named the cartridge .45 Automatic Colt Pistol.

You may not like .45 ACP, but most people say that because that is the correct way of saying it. Personal preference or not, the other ways are just incorrect.

I know a lot of people who refer to the 9x19 cartridge as "9mil". That may be their preference, but that doesn't make it correct. Cartridges have real names. Anything outside of the actual name, no matter how you feel about it, is actually wrong. Words mean things.

MMCSRET
October 4, 2010, 08:01 PM
I have a handful of 9 M/M head stamped cartridge cases. I don't know how old they are, just some odds and ends in a box of loose "stuff". It has been used for cartridge I.D., probably by a manufacturer trying to be different. Try stuffing a 9MM Luger in your 30 Luger chambered Luger.

MMCSRET
October 4, 2010, 08:04 PM
duplication deleted, isn't that what we are talking about?

dogtown tom
October 4, 2010, 08:12 PM
TX1911fan:...When did anyone ever write it as m/m? That makes no sense at all. The abbreviation for millimeter has never been, nor will it ever be, m/m.
Au contraire!

Take a peekaboo at an older FN Browning firearm:
9 m/m on the Hi Power
6.35 m/m on the Baby Browning .25acp
7.65 m/m on the 1922 or 1910 .32acp

"m/m" is and was very much used as an abbreviation for millimeter on European firearms.

DoubleTapDrew How about calling 9mm: 380 Long, since .380 is called 9mm Kurtz (short) in some countries...

Because there is enough confusion with the existing 9mm Long:D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9mm_Browning_Long

JWF III
October 4, 2010, 08:12 PM

To me a Colt 45 is either a Malt Liqour beverage or a SAA revolver (as in .45 Colt, aka .45 Long Colt).

m/m is more common on European manufactured ammo. I believe it was RWS ammo I've seen it on. Probably on others as well.

Wyman

Walkalong
October 4, 2010, 08:54 PM
I have called it both, and don't get wound up up about either. Six in one, half a dozen in the other.

Want to get me rolling my eyes?

don't use capitals, proper punctuation. or proper spilling. :rolleyes:

HOOfan_1
October 4, 2010, 09:14 PM
I have called it both, and don't get wound up up about either. Six in one, half a dozen in the other.

Want to get me rolling my eyes?

don't use capitals, proper punctuation. or proper spilling. :rolleyes:

The proper way to spill is called pouring :neener:

MMCSRET
October 4, 2010, 09:14 PM
coagulations walkalong you hit the nail head on!!!!!!!!!!!

Erik M
October 4, 2010, 09:25 PM
I work with a guy that swears Glock is the end all be all of handgun superiority. Swears that a Glock 37 is superior in every way to a 1911. He likes to say 45 GAAAP, pronounced fordy-five guh-AAP. Says they are way better than those old 1911 Long Colts.

FourteenMiles
October 4, 2010, 09:27 PM
why do people call a standard transmission a manual transmission, or worse a stick shift?

According to an a quick and dirty google search the word "Good" has 380 synonyms and "Drunk" has 2241 synonyms.

But the whole one company not wanting to advertise another company on their product makes a lot of sense.

Erik M
October 4, 2010, 09:36 PM
why do people call a standard transmission a manual transmission, or worse a stick shift?

Im southern so I understand when someone says they "cant drive a stick" so in my head I picture a tree branch with a steering wheel driving down the highway.

Refering to OP's post, my brother says Nine emm emm (9 m m).

Hatterasguy
October 4, 2010, 09:39 PM
Cause its the .45 automatic Colt pistol round, why don't you do a bit of reading on small arms development? Whats the difference between .45 Colt and .45 ACP? Know that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_ACP
Here is a start, self loading pistols were kind of new when John Browning was working on this round.

oasis618
October 4, 2010, 09:42 PM
This is a strange conversation.

hardworker
October 4, 2010, 10:24 PM
I know silly arguments about minutiae are to be expected on a gun forum, but isn't this over the top even for that?

9mmepiphany
October 4, 2010, 10:27 PM
I don't say .357 Magnum. I say 357.

I believe that designation is now taken by the 357 SIG cartridge...necked down .40 S&W

chicharrones
October 4, 2010, 10:28 PM
.45 Auto is what other companies call it so they don't have to put any reference to Colt on their knockoffs, even in abbreviation.

I never thought of that before. Makes sense to me.

natman
October 5, 2010, 04:03 AM
Because that's the name of the cartridge.

russ69
October 5, 2010, 05:27 AM
When I'm with my bullseye buddies 45 means 45 ACP but when I around the cowboy guys 45 means 45 Colt Long. No big thing as long as you are all on the same subject.

Thanx, Russ

dashootist
October 5, 2010, 08:30 AM
The correct way nowadays is "Fo Five".

Onmilo
October 5, 2010, 09:40 AM
For some reason, perhaps this goofy thread, I can remember seeing millimeters written as m/m while in school so very many years ago,,,

pockets
October 5, 2010, 10:26 AM
Sort of like "Six OF one and half a dozen OF the other".... :)

As for M/M....some folk in other countries do it that way, same as they use a comma instead of a period as in '$99,00' .

Long before 'Eminem' thought about rapping his way out of the trailer park, Martha Johnson and the group M+M (Martha And The Muffins) were rocking Canada and the USA.

doc2rn
October 5, 2010, 12:14 PM
I do it to keep it clear that I am not asking for 45 long colt or 45 GAP, so I will keep calling it by its name 45 ACP.

DasFriek
October 5, 2010, 12:39 PM
I ask for .45 acp as the old timers want to give you .45LC as they cant help it i guess.

Next time at WalMart id like to ask for this ammo "John Moses Browning's Greatest Achievement, The Forty-Five Automatic Slash Autoloading Cartridge Slash Colt Pistol Caliber Slash Pistol Format."
And then have them ask me if its for a "pistol or rifle?" and reply "slingshot".

yeti
October 5, 2010, 12:46 PM

Since I am not charged by the word saying "forty five Ayy Cee Pea" costs me no more then saying "forty five auto;" there is nothing about me that is 'streamlined' so I feel no need for an aerodynamic vocabulary; sometimes it it more important to be clear then it is to sound cleaner.

Of course I will call it a "45 auto" as often as I call it anything else...

Walkalong
October 5, 2010, 12:51 PM
Sort of like "Six OF one and half a dozen OF the other"Six in one hand, half a dozen in the other. Works either way. ;)

The proper way to spill is called pouringExcellent.... :)

fastbolt
October 5, 2010, 02:43 PM

Well, as has been mentioned, it delineates whether the speaker is talking about the Automatic Colt Pistol cartridge, the .45 Colt (sometimes called "Long Colt"), the .45 Auto Rim ... or now the .45GAP.

Who calls the .44 Magnum the .44 Remington Magnum, though? ;)

Or the .38 Spl the .38 S&W Special?

If one manufacturer wants to call the .45 ACP a .45 Auto (and at least couple do), who really cares, as long as the owner/user really knows which is the proper ammunition to load and use? I mean, really?

People can sometimes get too wrapped up around the axle when it comes to using proper cartridge names.

I must admit, however, that one day I felt a momentary wave of dismay when a young cop came to the range and was telling some of his peers that he had come by to qualify with his "gat". :rolleyes:

Words mean things ... and effective communication does require a consensus when it comes to definitions ... but sometimes folks get a little persnickety about things.

racine
October 5, 2010, 04:56 PM
If I was to order 1-4K rounds of 45, I'd better be clear what type for 45 cal. I actually need with so many available or you're gonna pay to ship 3 times... You can't shoot the LC, Super, Gap or Auto Rim out of your 1911 ACP so being specific is critical.

coltsfreak18
October 5, 2010, 05:04 PM
Parabellum is comprised of two Latin words:
"para" meaning "for", and
"bellum", meaning "war"Not to be a bad guy, but the two Latin words in that phrase mean "prepare for war."

Para comes from paro, parare, paravi, paratum, (prepare), and it is used in the imperative in that form. The designation "parabellum" came from the Latin adage "Si vis pacem, para bellum" (the sig of more than one person on THR), which is translated as "if you want peace, prepare (for) war." The "for" comes from the accusative ending on bellum, not para.

P.S. Sorry for the threadjack.

Shadow 7D
October 5, 2010, 05:22 PM
Sorry dog town, read the slide on the above mentioned firearms, never see the m&m thing, have see mm

MMCSRET
October 5, 2010, 06:18 PM
I have a Hungarian clone of the High Power that is stamped 9 M/M.

Tinpig
October 5, 2010, 06:32 PM
Look at the markings on the barrel that are visible through the ejection port. Here's my Browning High Power, made in Belgium in 1951 by FN Herstal.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc91/ccanhamjr/IMG_0077.jpg

Tinpig

Shadow 7D
October 5, 2010, 06:45 PM
Ah, I like the older guns, mostly ww2 and earlier, the way I'm used to seeing it is like this

Cal 765mm

labhound
October 5, 2010, 08:51 PM
I looked at the different brands of .45 Auto/ACP ammo I have. Federal, WWB, and Blazer all have ".45 Auto" on the box. The Sellier & Bellot has both ".45 Auto" and ".45 ACP" on the box.

swinokur
October 5, 2010, 09:28 PM
Because the genius John M. Browning said so

pyth0n
October 5, 2010, 09:39 PM
When I saw that, I didn't think much of it except as a typo. But it also shows up when he refers to the 7.65 m/m. (m/m=1):)

CraigC
October 5, 2010, 11:32 PM
That's too vague and could be construed as a .45ACP or a .45Colt and is exactly why some folks feel the need to use the incorrect .45 "Long" Colt.

Ike Arumba
October 6, 2010, 12:46 AM
How about calling 9mm: 380 Long, since .380 is called 9mm Kurtz (short) in some countries.
There is no T in Kurz.

Ike Arumba
October 6, 2010, 12:49 AM
coagulations walkalong you hit the nail head on!!!!!!!!!!!
Coagulations, eh? I like that... very picturesque!

Dookie
October 6, 2010, 01:20 AM
I actually pronounce ACP phonetically, really confuses people over 40 and one guy asked why I was trying to speak Klingon.

People call it that because they do, same reason people say soda, soda pop, pop, or as the illiterate Texans say, Coke :D

As for people getting confused about about the differences in 45's, doesn't happen often. If you walk into a store and ask for a box of 45's, 99% of gun stores will hand you a box of 45 auto, the other 1% is screwing with you.

If you ask a guy what engine he has in his car and he says, 350, no need to elaborate as everyone knows it is a Chebby engine, no one is going to think it is the Chrysler 350, big block made in the late 50's early 60's that later became the 383 for those of you who are going to argue that it is a stupid analogy because Mopar didn't have a 350.

PT1911
October 6, 2010, 01:28 AM
because that is the name of the cartridge... adding the ACP is not a matter of preference, NOT adding the ACP is a matter of preference. It is like saying Jon rather than Jonathan... 45 ACP is the name of the cartridge with ACP standing for Automatic Colt Pistol.... 45 is its nickname...

buck460XVR
October 6, 2010, 07:13 AM

duh....maybe, 'cause that's what it is?:scrutiny:

Zach S
October 6, 2010, 08:33 AM
Because my Thompson, and my AR45, and all but one of my 1911s, are all chambered in .45 ACP... The one 1911 I have that isnt chambered in .45 ACP once was.

With the popularity of internet acronyms, its actually easier to type .45 ACP than .45 auto, because for a lot of us, the acronyms are second nature.

Why do people insist on calling manual transmissions "standards," when automatics have been standard equipment, for just about everything, for years?

The Bushmaster
October 6, 2010, 09:41 AM
You got to be kidding. I read this whole thing. Some got it and a lot didn't. It's called "PROPER NOMENCLATURE". Calling,writing or saying it by it's proper nomenclature insures that no mistakes are made. Considering the amount of various .45 cartridge types and styles out there, that would be enough reason to use the proper term for a particular caliber.

SSN Vet
October 6, 2010, 10:30 AM
Why 45 ACP...

out of reverence for the folks who gave us such a fine legacy of course...

But then again, by that standard, we might call it 45 JMB....

Yet the Colonel was the man with the money (and the factory)...

Should we venerate the artist or the patron of the arts?

I love to wax philosophic, though it seldom gets me anywhere.

SSN Vet
October 6, 2010, 10:38 AM
If one manufacturer wants to call the .45 ACP a .45 Auto (and at least couple do), who really cares

Isn't the trusty old .30-30 likewise a "de-name-branding" of the venerable .30 WCF (Winchester Center Fire), coined by the "me-too" manufacturers that saw the merits of the cartridge?

What something is called is most often a product of one thing.... MARKETING

oneounceload
October 6, 2010, 10:42 AM
There is no T in Kurz.

There is, however, in Corto.... ;)

ChCx2744
October 6, 2010, 06:50 PM
I use "45 auto" (Phonetically) and "45 ACP" (Spelled letter-for-letter as an acronym)

mick244
October 6, 2010, 09:24 PM
Knockdown power.... unless you can carry a 12 ga in your pocket. A 9mm even with a double tap will not stop a crankhead doper who wants to kill you a 45acp will ,thats why, its a beast ...dont shoot me with one but for home defense I use a 12 ga with 000 buck mag loads

Dulvarian
October 6, 2010, 09:40 PM
I checked three times and I still don't get where that came from. ^^ Did I miss a post somewhere?

The first handgun I bought for myself was a Beretta Cougar 8045F, and when I asked the person who had just sold it to me for a box of "45", he handed me a box of 45LC and began ringing me up. Ever since that moment, I have said "45 ACP" just to make sure there was no confusion.

Amusingly, in my job, pretty much everything is named for the function that it performs. And you had better be darn specific when you are giving orders to operate equipment.

I ask for what I want, specifically. And as stated above (I forget who, and I'm not in quick reply, too lazy to check), it really, really matters when you are buying in bulk and paying shipping if you are buying bullets that you can't shoot out of your gun.

S&Wfan
October 6, 2010, 11:34 PM
Who cares?

Lock and load.

SpamHandler
October 7, 2010, 03:48 AM

Because 'Perfection' was already taken.

Robert
October 7, 2010, 10:15 AM
Knockdown power.... unless you can carry a 12 ga in your pocket. A 9mm even with a double tap will not stop a crankhead doper who wants to kill you a 45acp will ,thats why, its a beast ...dont shoot me with one but for home defense I use a 12 ga with 000 buck mag loads
Had a lot of run ins with doped up crank heads have ya? There is absolutely nothing wrong with 9mm. And in some cases 9mm has deeper penetration than 45.
And yes I carry a 45 everyday, but would have no reservations about carrying a 9 or even a 40.

You want real stopping power get a rifle or a 10mm.

ritepath
October 7, 2010, 10:45 PM
M/M wouldn't that be mils per meter?

R.Ph. 380
October 7, 2010, 11:20 PM
Simply to differentiate between 45 acp, auto rim and long colt.

Rshooter
October 8, 2010, 03:00 PM
I just bought a S&W 45 ACP. Looking for ammunition I find 45 ACP, 45 GAP, and 45 long colt. Better to be specific than get something you do not want.

Reloader_Kev
October 8, 2010, 03:19 PM
You guys (and gals) are all great. This is my first post and I've laughed my arse off reading these, especiall the one talking Klingon.....

Thanks

kev

aka108
October 8, 2010, 03:46 PM
Probably for the same reason that people call a engine a motor.

summerhelp
October 8, 2010, 03:51 PM
All you have to do is buy a gun that shoot, acp, LC, 45-70, gap, all the other variations of 45 so when you go to buy ammo no matter what they sell you, you can shoot it.

snh thr
October 10, 2010, 10:54 AM
I think most people say it to differentiate between .45 Colt, .45 GAP etc.

CraigC
October 10, 2010, 11:47 AM
Probably for the same reason that people call a engine a motor.
An engine IS a motor but a motor is not necessarily an engine. ;)

Mac's Precision
October 10, 2010, 03:38 PM
Okay...

Let me try to clarify this. 45ACP....can be 45 Auto, 45 Automatic and SHOULD be. What we are discussing are two calibers that carry designations that of COLT. So in reality, long ago there was no 45 LONG Colt... There was simply 45 COLT used in 45 single action Colt revolvers. There is 45 Auto Colt Pistol to differentiate from the revolver round 45 Colt.

In reality it would make more sense to many folks if 45 (Long) Colt was simply called 45 Colt ....and then 45 ACP would be easier to understand as the AUTOMATIC offering from Colt. There is no need and should not be the word LONG in .45 Colt. There Should be .45 Automatic. The word Automatic IS the clarifying term between the two calibers.. NOT the word LONG.

As for 45 GAP....45 Auto Rim... and any other odd ball variants; they are irrelevant as they are solutions to problems that don't exist. 45 Colt and 45 Automatic are the only two that are of any significance

The issue is an interesting discussion and really stems from marketing. You see there have been too many people exploring EVERY potential size and volume of case / bullet combination. Some poor bugger invents a "New" cartridge and wants in the worst way to prove that HIS cartridge does something every other round doesn't. Many are named after the inventor and as such we have dozens of variations of the same caliber with slight adjustments that don't mean squat. There are a lot of irrelevant cartridges that some folks are really passionate about.

Metric cartridges should be designated as diameter and length. Where as 40 Smith and Wesson SHOULD have been designated 10x22SW if S&W needs the credit for the round. 10mm should be designated 10x25. 9mm should be 9x19. Simply calling a 9mm ...9 emm emm doesn't designate WHAT cartridge you speak of. There for...if you are going to not use the metric measurement of the cartridge then proper terms would be 9mm LUGER or Parabellum.

.357 SIG poses a problem in designation. Glock makes such a gun...but would HATE to use a competitors name on their gun. So they stamp .357 on it. OOOOH! Does that mean it uses 357 Magnum? The bottleneck case makes the diameter and length designation hard to do. But seeing how 357 Sig is a 9mm bullet in a necked 10x22 case. One could keep the metric designation and stamp bottle necks (9)10x22 for 357 Sig..... or 9/10x22.

So to answer your question. 45 ACP or 45 Auto are both appropriate ....it is .45 *LONG* Colt that is an improper term and should never have been created nor should be used today. It is simply 45 Colt.

Cheers
Mac.

CheckFire
October 10, 2010, 03:58 PM
I don't like it as much as saying 45 Auto. Same goes for 380 Auto, 32 Auto, etc. Anything with ACP on the end.

Also, who spells 9mm as "9 m/m" anymore?
http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr158/boberamatheclown/questionmark.jpg?t=1286219916
Because they don't make a .46 ACP...?

Jus/funnin'---CF

GunLink
October 10, 2010, 09:38 PM
Who says 9m/m OR 9mm? :confused:

I like to carry my nine mike mike over a fortyfive ACP because of the extra capacity!

deafdave3
October 10, 2010, 09:58 PM
Interesting observation: prior to 1902, there were NO 9mm Lugers. All Lugers were chambered for 7.65mm. This magazine is one of the original 9 m/m Luger magazines. Note that the original designation was "m/m".

Mac's Precision
October 11, 2010, 01:29 AM
DeafDave...

That is a nice looking magazine. I can't say that I have seen too many like it. I don't know if it adds any value to that piece...but certainly seems unique. I have looked at / worked on a number of Lugers and most I can recall are not marked like that.

Cheers
Mac.

evan price
October 11, 2010, 01:38 AM
Oyeboten: It's actually 11.43x23 cartridge. (That's what it says on my Argentine Ballester-Molina pistol)

:P

Enjoy!

squinty
October 30, 2010, 12:33 PM
SkipBadger said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pK5HmuCMBM

You should always have plenty of Colt .45 on hand, in case "friends" show up. Don't take chances!

Baba Louie
October 30, 2010, 04:25 PM

Because if you ask for 11.25m/m (Norwegian Kongsberg) or 11.25m.m. (Argentine Sistema) they look at you funny? :D

http://www.sightm1911.com/index.htm

wvshooter
October 30, 2010, 11:09 PM
"ACP" refers to the first gun which was designed to shoot 45 ammo. That would be the Automatic Colt Pistol. The correct name for the ammo is "45 automatic". But who cares if it's widely referred to as 45acp. It works just as good no matter what it's called.

Deus Machina
October 31, 2010, 03:43 AM
Because I've had to give a quick lesson on function the last time I dealt with an uneducated clerk and asked for '.45 auto', when they slammed the shelf closed and pronounced they 'could not sell me anything for an automatic.' :rolleyes:

TexasBill
October 31, 2010, 06:40 AM
They call it the .45 ACP because John Browning designed it for an automatic pistol he was developing with Colt.

9mm (9x19, 9mm Parabellum0 is also known as 9mm Luger because it was developed by Georg Luger for his new automatic pistol.

Ole Coot
October 31, 2010, 09:21 AM
First one lots of folks over 50 owned was a 911 Colt and naturally I, like others called it 45 acp which I have for 60yrs. Old habit I guess.

Kleanbore
October 31, 2010, 09:48 AM

Happens that the head stamps on the first test ammunition provided to troops in 1909 and on two earlier U.M.C. developmental versions were "U.M. C. .45 A. C. P."

Ammunition for the earlier Model 1905 was marked "W. R. A. Co. .45 A. C."

Production ammo for the Model 1911 was marked F A plus the date and year of manufacture.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/45_Auto_Cartridge_History.htm

InkEd
October 31, 2010, 10:10 AM
.45acp sounds better than .45auto.

Mainly for clarification we say .45acp. Unless a person has mentioned the type of gun they have, just saying .45 is a little vague. 9 out 10 time they mean .45acp but there are other choices. There is .45 auto-rim (for revolvers), .45gap (glock auto pistol) and .45lc (long colt). There are some oddball European cartridges that are .45s too. I forgot their names BUT one was pretty much a .45acp (+/- 1mm case length) that was popular in Italy for a bit because they couldn't have "military calibers" and people love the 1911 platform.

Now the interesting thing about this topic IS, the reason it's called .45auto RATHER than
.45acp. It is because gun manufacturers don't like putting other company's names on their guns. So rather than say ACP it gets stamped AUTO.

Oddly enough, it was the "C" (Colt) in .45acp that seemed to hate putting other company's names on their guns the most. They went so far to actually stamp revolvers "Colt .38 Special Cartridge" rather than ".38 S&W Special Cartridge." It caused alot of confusion and they eventually just started using ".38 Special Cartridge." (IMHO if it was anyone other than S&W's name they probably wouldn't have cared as much.)

IIRC it was Glock that first stamped things .45auto instead of .45acp on their guns. However, it isn't a new practice and it continues today. It has become common place in the industry and an accepted practice. Ammo companies probably have furthered it more than the gun companies. They do it for the same reason as gun companies. They don't want somebody else's name in their product.

cesarv
October 31, 2010, 06:46 PM
I once went to Wally World and ask for .45 ACP. The lady behind the counter said, "Sorry we don't have that right now, only 9mm and 45 Auto.":banghead:

General Geoff
October 31, 2010, 08:03 PM
.45ACP is a very precise and unambiguous way of addressing a specific caliber. Saying .45 Auto does not differentiate between, say, .45ACP and .45GAP.

Maverick223
October 31, 2010, 08:24 PM
Why call something the improper name? Calling a cartridge by the correct name creates less confusion...less confusion is good. BTW, there are no less than three .45cal. autos...the .45 Auto Rim, the .45GAP, and the subject of this discussion, the .45ACP. In addition there are several other .452cal. pistol cartridges, the simple abbreviation of ACP easily precludes them all. Also the 9mmPara. is one of many 9mm cartridges, including a few rifle cartridges, so the addition of "Para." is equally important.

:)

Hardtarget
October 31, 2010, 11:49 PM
What ever you call it...make SURE the clerk gave you the right cartridge. Makes for a better day when you get to the range!:D

Mark

22-rimfire
November 1, 2010, 07:44 AM
How true. Sometimes the clerk hands you the wrong ammo (say at Walmart) and you pay for it thinking you're ready to go shooting. Some clerks get confused with the Mini-mag versus LR and obviously maxi-mag versus 22 mag or 22 WMR. I don't have any LR's, but I do have some Mini-mags, and brick versus bulk pack gets confusing.

I prefer using the ACP, GAP, and LC notation to be more accurate. The meaning has already been explained more than once.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why does everyone say ".45 ACP"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!