Interesting Day at the Range

PDA

45R
December 15, 2003, 11:59 AM
I was doing some shooting yesturday with the girlfriend and about an hour into our session some knuckle head starts talking to my girl. She was shooting about a 3" group with her GP100 and Ruger MkII. He starts going off about how he has a 1400 dollar 1911 and its the best gun blah blah blah. I say excuse me to grab the Ruger and he continues yacking away with her. She was rather amused as she was taking a break.

Then he moves over to the guy in the stall to my left and says hey what are you shooting. He had a Glock subcompact chambered in .40 Mr. Knucklehead was like ohhhhh you've got on of those DA guns. I only shoot 1400 dollar 1911s. About this time all 3 of us wanted to see his 1911 and we were all hoping it was a long slide. So I take a look at his target and at 7 yards his paper plate size shoot and see looked like someone had it it will 00buck. He comes back later to bug me about what I was shooting and try and steal my brass. Mr. Knucklehead left when I invited him to shoot the 220 in DAO.

About an hour later some guys rented a .44 Mag and decided that it was a rite of passage for the 11 and 12 year old boys to shoot it. The poor children had an adult hold them so that they would not fall backwards. The little necks were snapping backwards like they were being rear-ended by cars. Both kids were shaking their hands for a few minutes after shooting a few rounds.

The bright side of the day...... it was sunny!!! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Interesting Day at the Range" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dave R
December 15, 2003, 12:13 PM
Sheesh. Sounds like all the knuckleheads go to your range. Condolences.

Paco
December 15, 2003, 01:39 PM
you know? it's guys like this that can ruin a newbie to the whole firearms experience. They really get me angry. What are they trying to prove. I wonder if it would outta line to pull those fellas to the side and politely say a word or two to them.

-paco

Skunkabilly
December 15, 2003, 01:46 PM
He comes back later to bug me about what I was shooting and try and steal my brass.

Tee hee. You shoulda ran some Blazers through your Sig and mixed up the alum stuff with the brass. Then mixed some 9mm in with it... :neener:

Standing Wolf
December 15, 2003, 07:59 PM
Now and then, I have to wonder whether somebody hasn't been passing out free stupid pills.

10-Ring
December 15, 2003, 08:13 PM
45R, I think I've seen that guy's cousin now and then at the range I frequent :rolleyes: When the Knuckleheads start coming in, I pack up & leave because they also tend to be the most dangerous shooters :fire:

cool45auto
December 15, 2003, 08:44 PM
Oh, so that's where they were today!:p

Black Majik
December 15, 2003, 08:55 PM
Sorry to hear, usually if some "knuckleheads" come in to shoot, I request to be moved to the other room. Usually the ranges I've seen have 2 room of 10 shooting booths. I just go into the other room where its quiet.

My knucklehead experience was some guy w/ a stainless Kimber thinking he was the shizzle shooting off rounds w/ the worst flinch i've seen. Shoots a magazine, then take a rest. I guess his .45 was too much for him :neener: Shoot some more and rest. Finished off a box of 50 in about 15 minutes. The girl I brought had better groupings than that clown at 10 yrds.:D

I even had HIS brass pop me in the head. Twice. :banghead:

mpthole
December 15, 2003, 09:05 PM
Boy, I really do have it good. After reading about all these terrible shooting range experiences, it makes me so glad to be a member of the club I'm at. Most of the time when I go to the range, either no one is there or its someone that has been shooting longer than I've been alive and has TONS of great hints, tips, tricks, or just plain old good stories to tell. A couple guys at my club won a national bench rest match this past fall. Another guy just made master in IDPA - when most others are stuck in marksman or sharpshooter (like me ;) ). So there's always friendly knowledgable folks to learn from.

There are knuckleheads everywhere. Thankfully not many where I shoot. Of course, I haven't been to an indoor range in quite a while. My club is outdoor only.

BowStreetRunner
December 15, 2003, 11:50 PM
my club is pretty empty most of the time when i go too
thats nice......no knuckleheads
BSR

Black92LX
December 16, 2003, 01:46 AM
i have a question. do you all only talk about crappy shooters if they are annoying like this guy???

because i am fairly new to all this and not really all that great of a shot yet. but in no way do i ever claim to be. i am always a little apprehensive about what people think of my shooting, and always wondered if people were talking about how bad i am.

Black Majik
December 16, 2003, 01:57 AM
i have a question. do you all only talk about crappy shooters if they are annoying like this guy???

because i am fairly new to all this and not really all that great of a shot yet. but in no way do i ever claim to be. i am always a little apprehensive about what people think of my shooting, and always wondered if people were talking about how bad i am.

Not at all. I'm a fairly new shooter also. But I do try to make myself a better shooter. But sometimes I'm there, and there are people that just needs to step off the high horse. They go into the range thinking their 1K gun will do all the shooting. They usually have big egos, and do not respect other shooters.

But, there are also great shooters I see at the range. Sometime's I'll look over and the next shooter beside me will be nailin' the bullseye. I'll comment, and we'll get into a nice discussion. He'll give me pointers, and every once in a while let me try out their pistol and what not.

I'm just glad there isn't that many of the former shooters I mentioned. Only once in a while.

I guess that's California for ya.

clubsoda22
December 16, 2003, 02:04 AM
About an hour later some guys rented a .44 Mag and decided that it was a rite of passage for the 11 and 12 year old boys to shoot it. The poor children had an adult hold them so that they would not fall backwards.

After a few times at the range with my 13yo cousin he was getting good and could frequently get a good group with any of my pistols, so, we rented a desert eagle in .50ae. He was punching groups with that too even though i had to stand behind him because he only weighs about 110lbs. Guys who do that with first time shooters are fools, but otherwise it's just plain fun.

duckfoot
December 16, 2003, 02:57 AM
I eat it up when I out shoot loud mouths with 1k+ 1911's with my $275 Norinco. I usually get the "my sights are off" and blah blah blah. Then I get out the stock USP .45 and shoot smiley faces on 10 inch ShootNsee tgts at 15 yrds.;) And then if I can get away with it, use their pistol and shoot a smiley face with it too and state " nothing wrong with this gun" and hand it back.:evil: About that time I'll try to give them some tips and hints if they are willing to hear it. Most are. Some are not.

As the man with one gun taught me, I try to pass the lesson along. "Its better to look lost, than opening your mouth and confirming it."

Cheers

Duck

I know, I know, I'm shallow.

mpthole
December 16, 2003, 09:50 AM
Black92LX said, i have a question. do you all only talk about crappy shooters if they are annoying like this guy???
Only if they are annoying. ;)

Here's how I see it: every one of us was a new shooter at one point in our lives. Heck, I still consider myself a "new" shooter in many ways. For new people who are honestly trying or just doing the sport for fun or whatever, as long as they are humble about it and not pompous jerks, there is no problem. Its when some guy with an attitude and who obviously can't hit the target worth a darn starts spouting off...that's when most of us would have a problem with him.

There's this one guy I know (never actually been shooting with him) who is the type that always has to "out-do" your last story or accomplishment. You know the kind. "Oh yeah? Well, I just made a 3,000 yard shot in high wind with my .243 and killed a grizzly!!!" :rolleyes: Yeah, ok pal, sure you did. :scrutiny:

Well, this past spring he starts talking to me about some new "hunting" calibers that are on the market. He and I both know that I do not consider myself a "hunter". He proceeds to blah, blah, blah about this and that and how this new .375 super-duper-magnum (or whatever it was?) is the fastest, flatest and most destructive shooting round available, but its a little expensive, he says at $5/round.

I reply that if he's looking for the biggest, baddest rifle around and that instead of spending all that money some new-fangled rifle and hunting round that nobody supports yet with a variety of ammo (he doesn't reload), why not just buy a .50 BMG? I continue to explain that if he really wants to hunt "the big stuff" at that range, all of the rifles/ammo/reloading equipment and stuff is already on the market with proven designs.

Then I added, but hey - whatever floats your boat.

He didn't have much to say after that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Interesting Day at the Range" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!