NJ State Police Issue Revolver???

PDA

Patsy57
October 4, 2010, 05:00 PM
I am trying to figure out what were the issue revolvers for the NJ State police from 1955 to 1981? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you enjoyed reading about "NJ State Police Issue Revolver???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pate
October 4, 2010, 08:53 PM
I'm not sure if it's true, but this is from an article by Massad Ayoob.

"Still, the New Jersey State Police stayed with 6" Ruger Security-Six .357s until their adoption of the HK P7 auto, and FHP with their cross-drawn Colts, until the adoption of the Beretta auto and strong side hip holsters, both in the early 1980s."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_7_54/ai_n25469330/

Patsy57
October 4, 2010, 09:38 PM
That is true I ahve a NJ SP Ruger Security six however I am looking for earlier models, I think maybe a Smith and Wesson was issued in the 50`s?

Varob
October 4, 2010, 10:59 PM
I recall reading that during that period a lot of agencies where using S&W Model 10's then later the Model 19. But I'm not sure about NJ.

Guillermo
October 5, 2010, 10:58 AM
I am betting that Old Fuff knows off the top of his head.

You might PM him

jfh
October 5, 2010, 11:20 AM
does a google of the NJSP site show anything?

Jim H.

Patsy57
October 5, 2010, 11:37 AM
Nope just the new HK and older security six nothing prior

Trebor
October 5, 2010, 01:04 PM
Post 6 in this thread has the info you want

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16541

My google search thread was: firearms issued by NJSP

Patsy57
September 18, 2012, 08:50 AM
Bringing back an old thread, so I have uncovered the original holster to the gun I am searching for and it is marked Smith and Wesson. I remember my grandfather who was a state trooper saying he carried a smith I believe. Now that being said what model Smith would they have carried? I do not think they would have carried a Smith and Wesson marked holster and a Colt gun??

Old Fuff
September 18, 2012, 11:17 AM
During the 1950's era they carried Colt Official Police model .38's marked N.J.S.P. with 6" barrels. It is possible that at some point they bought some Smith & Wesson Millitary & Police .38 Special revolvers (after 1957 known as the model 10) but I find no record of it. I suggest that you contact the N.J. State Police Public Information Office and see what they might be able to tell you.

As for the holster. It is quite possible that while it was made for a Smith & Wesson, it might be loose enough so that a Colt would fit into it. Generally such items were bought from the lowest bidder on a purchase proposal. Whatever worked, worked.

If you enjoyed reading about "NJ State Police Issue Revolver???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!