Marks in Barrel

PDA

dashootist
October 4, 2010, 09:18 PM
Hi, I notice something wierd on my S&W 38spl Mdl 14 revolvers. There are small triangular marks on the grove of the barrel starting from the forcing cone end, top of triangle pointing out the direction of the muzzler. It's very smooth. It seems like lead. I tried scrubbing it back and forth with copper wire wrapped around a bore brush, but it doesn't want to come off. I tried blasting it with Jacketed hardball ammo but to no avail. Accuracy is still good. But I'd like to get them off. It's like an annoying zit.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marks in Barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Waywatcher
October 4, 2010, 09:39 PM
Try Chore boy yet?

dashootist
October 5, 2010, 09:29 PM
Yes I used choreboy style scrubber and scrubbed and scrubbed all night long. Ok more like half an hour. I was afraid I was wearing out the bore by so much scrubbing. I wrapped a whole bunch of choreboy around the bore brush. It was very tight. The lead is still there. Like it's baked in.

dashootist
October 8, 2010, 03:45 PM
Just tried the Lewis Lead Remover Kit. But it's no match for the crap in the barrel.

Also slugged the barrel. I tapped an egg sinker down the muzzle. It went down pretty easy until it reached the forcing cone area. Around the forcing cone, I had to tap extra hard. There's definitely some crap in the groove, and I want to scrap it out somehow.

Steve C
October 8, 2010, 06:34 PM
There are small triangular marks on the grove of the barrel starting from the forcing cone end, top of triangle pointing out the direction of the muzzler.

Manufacture tooling marks?

dashootist
October 8, 2010, 07:00 PM
Called S&W, and they said send the gun back for repair. Sigh.

Waywatcher
October 8, 2010, 10:22 PM
Dude, you are the unluckiest. :eek:

Don't waste your money on lottery tickets.

I couldn't help but notice your other thread(s).

Maybe time to get non-S&W. ;) I like Ruger GP100s, I have had multiple S&Ws with problems too.

dashootist
October 8, 2010, 10:28 PM
I know it's wierd. My expensive guns all have problems. My cheap budget guns work flawlessly.

Robert Wilson
October 9, 2010, 12:42 AM
Is this one of the new "classics"? They cut the rifling with EDM machines, which leaves many small longitudinal grooves in each rifling cut. These tend to pick up lead like crazy and nothing short of one of the reverse electroplating gadgets will remove it. The only solution I've found is to stick with jacketed bullets.

dashootist
October 9, 2010, 09:19 AM
Yes it's a "classic". And yes, I see tiny grooves within each groove running all the way down the barrel.

Robert Wilson
October 9, 2010, 11:43 AM
I'd bet you're looking at lead in the bore. Mine do close to the same thing. It wouldn't have occurred to me to call them "triangles", but I suppose that's an accurate description. And none of the traditional lead removal techniques worked for me either. The "Foul Out" does, but 50 rounds later the problem comes right back and is just as bad. Gas checked bullets help, but honestly, the only thing that prevents it for me is jacketed bullets. So I don't use my classics much any more, except for the one in .45 ACP.

dashootist
October 9, 2010, 02:32 PM
The worst case scenario for me is having to replace the barrel. But I've always been interested in those PPC barrels from Clarks. Still too soon to jump off the S&W bandwagon.

dashootist
October 11, 2010, 12:18 AM
Robert,
I just noticed these triangles on my 686 also. These are not as noticeables on my Classic 14. And these are also impossible to remove even with the Lewis Lead Remover. So, I'm getting triangles on both "Classics" and modern S&W. The triangles don't seem to be hurting accuracy yet.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marks in Barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!