Picked up a S&W 629-6 (.44 Magnum) yesterday at the local gun show.

PDA

jrb_pro
October 5, 2010, 12:30 AM
Brand new. $549. :cool:

I thought it was a really good deal.

For you .44 guys, what is your preferred load for hunting (white tail), for the range, and for personal protection? I'm new to the caliber, so just wanted to ask (and before you ask, yes, I have shot .44s before...just never owned one).

https://files.me.com/jamesryanbell/tfpuhq

https://files.me.com/jamesryanbell/eq6sti

If you enjoyed reading about "Picked up a S&W 629-6 (.44 Magnum) yesterday at the local gun show." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Buck Snort
October 5, 2010, 03:43 AM
Looks to me like you got a really good deal there. For SD I'm partial to the Cor Bon 165gr JHP that I've clocked out of my 4" 629 at 1300 fps.

jrb_pro
October 5, 2010, 03:49 AM
I'll check out that ammo. Thanks for the reply! :)

youngda9
October 5, 2010, 03:53 PM
That's a great deal. I picked up a pre-lock 629-4 classic 6" for $500...with tax and shipping(bought it out of state) and FFL fees it cost me $575 total which was still a sweet deal.

Just starting to shoot mine. Bought an X-grip for it because that exposed metal backstrap just hammers your hand. I've yet to shoot it with the new grip. Sweet gun!

racine
October 5, 2010, 06:30 PM
Wow, Wow!

huntershooter
October 5, 2010, 07:02 PM
A 6" mod. 629 is a good hunting revolver. Mine happens to a be 4" example.
I use a cast WFNGC (wide, flat nose, gas check) 255 gr. bullet over a charge of 2400 powder for 1200+ FPS (4" barrel).
This is the accuracy load from my gun and is a handful.

Something you might check if yours is a 629-6:
The chamber throats on mine were "stupid tight" from the factory; .4275" from memory. A jacketed .429" bullet would not pass through the throats with finger pressure.
S&W's response was "a jacketed bullet is springy enough that the bullet will obturate when entering the bore". Horse****.
Jacketed bullet accuracy was mediocre and cast bullet accuracy was terrible.
I purchased a finish throat reamer and opened the throats to .4305".
My preferred cast bullets will shoot into 1-1.25" at 25 yds., that's all six chambers.

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b434/huntershooter/wrist/handguns/IMG_6352.jpg

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b434/huntershooter/wrist/handguns/IMG_6349.jpg

jrb_pro
October 6, 2010, 10:01 AM
I appreciate the heads up on that. I'll have to check it out. I suspect that mine is the same.

ultradoc
October 6, 2010, 10:10 AM
congrats on the nice buy.

jrb_pro
October 6, 2010, 05:44 PM
Just got back from the range. Put four of the first six shots through the bullseye from 15 yards (I know that may not be impressive to most of you, but it's pretty nice for me...haha). *REALLY* like the gun, and I've very glad I got the 6" barrel.

huntershooter
October 6, 2010, 06:10 PM
Congrats on a great hunting revolver. The 6" is easier for me to shoot, but not as "handy" as a 4".
If you're planning on this being a Whitetail gun here's a recommendation;
Sight in and shoot at 50 yds. My self imposed limit is 30+ yds. offhand, maybe out to 50 with a solid rest.
If you use 8" paper plates and practice offhand and "field positions" you will discover how difficult it can be to place six rds. on target under varying conditions and positions.
A good way to discover your limitations and what you need to work on.

Stainz
October 7, 2010, 02:21 AM
My first 629-6 purchased new was a 6" in 8/05. I replaced my 629MG the next year with a new 4" producion 629-6. Both have consistent chamber exit bores ~.430". I have replaced the rear sight on the 6"-er several times with a Weigand SS Weaver-style rail, using blue Loctite on the screws. The scope I used was a Weaver H2 2x28mm handgun scope, which allows it's cross hairs to match the diopter needs of my prebsbyopic eyes. I can ping a 12"-16" steel plate at 110yd 6 of 6 shots with both .44 Specials and .44 Magnums, hand holding the revolver. Equipped with the Hogue/S&W .500 Magnum X-frame grips, which fit K, L, N, & X frames, the backstrap is padded for better recoil control ($38 from S&W Accessories.). Wood grips are fine for .44 Russians and Specials, of course.

http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Stainz_2007/IMG_3335.jpg

Not knowing what kind of factory ammo I might try in the 6"-er, I put a full strength Wolff hammer spring and a reduced power rebound spring in it - both reduced power springs in the 4"-er. I keep HKS #29 speedloaders filled with Georgia Arms 200gr Gold Dots in .44 Special new brass cases ready for either 629 for home defense. This is chronologically equivalent to the Al cased Blazers. The scope rail generally doesn't stay on the 6"-er long - I really prefer the iron sights. The 6" is a great plinker!

Stainz

PS That 6" 629-6, SKU #163606, was $569 new locally 8/05 - the 'good old days'. To quote Dylan, "The Times, They are a Changing!".

jrb_pro
October 7, 2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the info guys! Very cool.

Damon555
October 7, 2010, 04:33 PM
180 grain JHP in front of a large dose of H110. Kills whitetails dead.

788Ham
October 8, 2010, 12:23 AM
Good luck with your piece jrb, you'll like it.

huntershooter, what make of grips have you got on that hog leg? Beautiful grips! The Houge, pao ferro mono grip is on my 629-1 6", really dressed it up.

jakk280rem
October 8, 2010, 12:49 AM
i may be wrong, but they look alot like herretts.

http://www.herrett-stocks.com/roperlrg.htm

jrb_pro
October 8, 2010, 04:21 AM
Yeah, those are really sweet looking.

huntershooter
October 8, 2010, 07:36 AM
Yes sir, Herrett's "Trooper" that have been modified.

springmom
October 8, 2010, 10:28 AM
Oh my, that is a NICE revolver. Jealousy here.

Jan

jrb_pro
October 8, 2010, 03:14 PM
Spring, TX! My former home away from home for the last four years. Not anymore though. Nice area.

Confederate
October 8, 2010, 04:30 PM
The 629 is one of the finest pistols S&W ever produced, especially the early models. It represents the fine qualities of its other revolvers, but does so on a large basis.

For sheer show & tell, I'm fascinated by size. The very small guns (autos) produced by Beretta, and the large revolvers made by S&W, reflect a diminishing craftsmanship.

To me, there's something fascinating about making a very small (tiny) gun work reliably. Think what novelties such guns would be if they were just now coming on the scene. "Is that a toy?" "Does it really shoot?" people might say.

The .44 DA revolver made by S&W also was a novelty when it first appeared. People had to have one. It looked like other great revolvers S&W had produced; it was just big. And it gave S&W fans the chance to examine their revolvers in great detail. And of course there was the hype about power.

Alas, the novelty wore off quickly, and reports soon began coming in of guns on consignment, with partially shot boxes of ammo thrown in.

The 629 also was a great novelty when it appeared. Gun magazines showed two-page spreads of the gun with water droplets on it to show outdoorsmen that it stood up to rain, sleet and snow. People had to wait on very long waiting lists that were more ke a lottery. One fellow in a gun store had one, I thought, until I learned it had been hard chrome plated. I was on a list for well over a year. Then came the call. Although there were no waiting periods in those days, the store's proprietor made me wait a few days for mine. When I finally came in to pick it up, I felt like a rock star. People in the store all wanted to touch it or heft it. One offered me a substantial profit if I wanted to sell it, but I declined.

I still have that 629 and it's never been fired. It's as beautiful as the first day I bought it. It's got counterbored chambers, stamped side plate, pinned barrel and smooth wood grips. I keep it mostly for sentimental reasons and for the story.

Enjoy yours!

jrb_pro
October 8, 2010, 06:33 PM
Cool story! How much profit did the guy offer you?

If you enjoyed reading about "Picked up a S&W 629-6 (.44 Magnum) yesterday at the local gun show." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!