S&W .32 safety hammerless information needed???

PDA

Curiosity
October 5, 2010, 02:14 AM
Hello!
I am very new to all of this. I recently acquired a .32 safety hammerless from my elderly aunt and have no idea how old it is or if has Amy value. It is blues, with a 3.5" barrel, with what appears to be black hard rubber grips. Serial number is 147XXX. From what I can tell, it is in amazing condition, with all the stamps along the top if the barrel. Not a spot of rust or other corrosion. The barrel sight is pinned. If it is helpful, I can try to upload a photo or 2. Any help would greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W .32 safety hammerless information needed???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Radagast
October 5, 2010, 08:33 AM
Curiosity:
The .32 Safety Hammerless 2nd Model was manufactured between 1902 & 1909 in the serial range 91418 to 170000.
The 3.5 inch barrel was a standard length, the grips should be checkered hard rubber with S&W monograms.
In 2006 the Standard Catalog of S&W gave a value of $450 for as new, $300 for excellent condition.
For more current pricing you will need to check online auction sites such as gunbroker, auction arms and guns america.
You can still find .32 S&W ammunition available, try old western scrounger online if your local gunshop doesn't stock it. You don't want .32 S&W Long however, it will not fit.

Curiosity
October 5, 2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks, the information helps.

Is there any reasonable market for these or should I hold onto it as a collectible that may never be worth THAT much?

Radagast
October 6, 2010, 08:56 AM
Collectors who are willing to pay big bucks tend to be interested in the small production run, early large frame guns such as the Registered Magnum and .44 Hand Ejector. There were nearly a quarter of a million .32 Safety Hammerless guns made, so supply will always outstrip the number of collectors, at least in your life time. Don't expect it to appreciate in value by much.

madcratebuilder
October 7, 2010, 07:37 AM
Condition is everything on value. While they did make millions of these Safety Hammerless revolvers, finding one in 'like new' condition is very uncommon. I would check at the S&W forum and you well get a better idea on value. If it's truly 'like new' it could bring $600 or more.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/

Curiosity
October 9, 2010, 08:35 AM
SMITH & WESSON SPRINGFIELD, MA U.S.A. PAT'D FEBY
20 77 DEC. 18. 77 MAY 11 80 SEPT 11 82 OCT 2 83 TWO AUG 4 85

This is what is stamped on the top ridge of the barrel. Does anyone know what it means?

Thank you very much for all the info!!

DrLaw
October 9, 2010, 10:48 AM
Smith & Wesson developed different patents on the same guns over the production runs of the guns.

They put all the patent dates on the top rib of the barrel on the .32 Smith & Wesson cartridge guns, and the .38 Smith & Wesson cartridge guns.

Your gun was an 'everyman's' gun, in that it was made for every person of age to be able to shoot. Women were users of this gun, too. The thing to know is that this gun was designed in an era where guns were frequently carried concealed in a pocket for protection, despite what the law might say about carrying a concealed weapon. It was small, lightweight, and offered the user protection far exceeding the potential of the cartridge, which by today's standards are considered woefully underpowered.

You can check www.gunbroker.com for an idea of the relative worth of the gun, but realize that collectors do put a price on guns, too. Many guns on gunbroker are relisted because the seller wants too high a price.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W .32 safety hammerless information needed???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!