archive old PM's

PDA

Guillermo
October 5, 2010, 01:47 PM
How does one download or "archive" old PM's

thank you

If you enjoyed reading about "archive old PM's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
October 5, 2010, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't classify archiving as an easy process but it's not too bad.

Open up one of your PM folders (Inbox or Sent).

Starting at whichever page you want to save (usually page 1), check off the box next to "Messages: nnn". That will select all the PM's on that single page (you can deselect individual PM's if you wish). Then move to the next page and do the same thing. Unfortunately, there is no "select all pages", so you have to do the selecting one page at a time (poor programming). I've found there is a limit of 500 selected PM's that can be downloaded at a time, so keep that in mind.

When you're done selecting all the pages you want to download, go to the bottom and make a selection from the "Selected Messages:", usually "Download as TEXT" is best in that it doesn't make the download abnormally large, and any text editor can be used to view or search the data later.

Check the number of PM's showing in the "Go" button to be sure it agrees with how many you have checked off, and press "Go". The download process will start, and may be different for different browsers/operating systems, but it's fairly straight forward. Be sure to give the downloaded file a descriptive name and include "inbox" and a date, etc. to distinguish it from any other downloads you do.

Do the same with the "Sent" folder and you're done. You can delete the archived PM's if you wish or you are running out of room.

So, like I said, vBulletin didn't make it easy, but it's doable.

nalioth
October 5, 2010, 03:51 PM
Starting at whichever page you want to save (usually page 1), check off the box next to "Messages: nnn". That will select all the PM's on that single page (you can deselect individual PM's if you wish). Then move to the next page and do the same thing. Unfortunately, there is no "select all pages", so you have to do the selecting one page at a time (poor programming). I've found there is a limit of 500 selected PM's that can be downloaded at a time, so keep that in mind.

When you're done selecting all the pages you want to download, go to the bottom and make a selection from the "Selected Messages:", usually "Download as TEXT" is best in that it doesn't make the download abnormally large, and any text editor can be used to view or search the data later.None of the above is required. If you do it this way, you'll get several copies of the same thing.

The download options says: Download all Private Messages as:
XML | CSV | Text

Key word: "ALL". This'll download all your sent and received messages in the format you've selected, no matter how many pages they're displayed on.

No need to check anything until it's time to delete them after you've downloaded your CSV, XML or TEXT backup.

Guillermo - you're "archiving" your PMs on your own PC.

Mal H
October 5, 2010, 04:06 PM
Correct, that will download all, but my method allows you to deselect any PM's or pages of PM's you don't want or have already downloaded.

Why do you say you'll get several copies of the same thing? There are two download options available, I was pointing out the more flexible one. If you download without doing any deleting, then the "download all" option is when you will be archiving multiple copies of the same PM.

nalioth
October 5, 2010, 04:16 PM
I guess I don't have any issues "downloading all" when the inbox gets filled up.

Text files (CSV and XML are text files, too) compress nicely, so there is really no reason to "select" or "deselect" specific PMs to save space on your PC, IMHO.

Mal H, your method just seems like a lot of work to archive PMs.

Guillermo
October 5, 2010, 04:16 PM
thank you for the quick and detailed response.

I appreciate your assistance

Guillermo
October 5, 2010, 04:46 PM
worked like a charm

thank you again for the help

If you enjoyed reading about "archive old PM's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!