Cylinder Stop

PDA

mooreja
October 6, 2010, 08:27 PM
I have a S&W 642-2 Airweight, Is it normal to turn the cylinder when not in full lockup?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cylinder Stop" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RevolvingGarbage
October 6, 2010, 08:48 PM
Do you mean "turn" as in spin freely, or wiggle side to side a bit?

Only certain Colt revolvers will truly "lock up" tightly. Almost every other design will allow for some side to side wiggle to allow the bullet to properly align with the bore upon firing.

The cylinder actually spinning either direction with the hammer cocked back or resting forward is a serious problem.

mooreja
October 6, 2010, 08:53 PM
If your just holding the gun the cylinder will turn clockwise but not counterclockwise, it feels like the cylinder stop is not catching the cylinder good enough to hold it?

jakk280rem
October 6, 2010, 09:25 PM
if you open the cylinder, then close it. the cyl. stop may end up resting on the cylinder rather than resting in a stop notch. if this happens then yes, while at rest the cylinder should spin freely in one direction for a short distance untill the cyl. stop pops up and engages the stop notch.

rbernie
October 6, 2010, 09:40 PM
If your just holding the gun the cylinder will turn clockwise but not counterclockwise, it feels like the cylinder stop is not catching the cylinder good enough to hold it?If your finger is on the trigger, it's possible that to pull it just enough to get the stop to drop down and allow the cylinder to freewheel. If you are holding the revolver without touching the trigger and you can spin the cylinder past more than one chamber, then as far as I know your revolver has an issue.

Jim K
October 6, 2010, 10:29 PM
When the trigger is forward, and the cylinder closed, the cylinder should not turn. When the cylinder is closed, it will turn as far as the next notch, but no farther. If the cylinder can turn freely, in either direction, the gun is not working properly.

Jim

mooreja
October 28, 2010, 07:25 PM
Sent my 642 back to S&W, They advised it had a bad cylinder stop spring, They replaced the spring and cylinder stop.Only gone 7 days, S&W has excellent customer service and excellent turn around , THINK I'LL BUY ANOTHER S&W.

Guillermo
October 28, 2010, 07:58 PM
THINK I'LL BUY ANOTHER S&W

You are going to reward them for nonexistent quality control.

That is the very definition of rewarding negative behavior

mooreja
November 1, 2010, 06:50 PM
Not really gonna buy a GLOCK.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cylinder Stop" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!