Weird one: Reporting a lost horse?

PDA

ArmedBear
October 6, 2010, 11:23 PM
I was out hunting chukar today and came upon a horse. He was gorgeous, and looked groomed. He kept a measured distance from me and my dog, and snorted at us, but he was acting more like a dog that doesn't want you to catch him than like a feral animal that's afraid.

This was on semi-remote BLM land in SW Idaho, and we have wild horses here, but he was black with a perfect white blaze and four perfect white socks, and what looked like a styled mane and tail. This didn't seem like a feral horse.

How/where do you report a horse sighting?

If you enjoyed reading about "Weird one: Reporting a lost horse?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rail Driver
October 6, 2010, 11:35 PM
I'd call your local wildlife agency, or whoever manages the land you were on.

kbbailey
October 6, 2010, 11:37 PM
I don't have any advice for your dilemma, but it sure sounds like a good looking horse.

Was it wearing a brand??
Was it shod?

Report to local sheriff or feed store I guess.

ArmedBear
October 6, 2010, 11:42 PM
You know, I tried to figure out if it was shod from the tracks it left, but the dirt was loose sandy gravely stuff, and didn't leave good impressions. I could see that a horse had come through, but that was about it. He didn't let me get close enough to see a brand.

Not owning horses myself, I wouldn't know where someone would go looking. I guess I'll call the BLM district office tomorrow.

Thanks! Any other ideas also appreciated. I know that, if it was my horse, I'd want to know. :)

kbbailey
October 6, 2010, 11:47 PM
No houses or ranches nearby?

Take a sack of feed next time...maybe you can get a closer look.
Be careful though...they may still hang horse theives in Idaho.

Sky
October 6, 2010, 11:50 PM
Nothing to add it is your call. I would be hesitant to call some authority for fear they may put the horse down after capture if no one claims the animal. You might check the paper in your area for lost or stolen horses but if there are free range horses around he/she will do just fine without any human intervention. Kinda got a bad taste several years ago when "THEY" were killing free range "wild" mustangs.

ArmedBear
October 6, 2010, 11:50 PM
True enough. This is Owyhee County, the remotest place in the lower 48, but I was hunting on the more civilized end, only maybe 10 miles from the largest town and County Seat, with a population of 700.

So yes, it's still the Wild West there. Word is, the sheriff only recently stopped using his gun for emphasis, when having a talk with people. Many people open carry there, as a matter of course.

I love it there. A hunt or a hike out there is like stepping into a Western movie. But I digress.

kbbailey
October 6, 2010, 11:57 PM
My cuz has a cabin in the "chimney" of Idaho, 25mi south of Canada. I would love to join him on a elk hunt there, but elk season there... is corn harvest here. Can't do both.

Sky
October 7, 2010, 12:05 AM
Lucky man

grubbylabs
October 7, 2010, 12:09 AM
If he is coming in real close to you then he is not wild, the wild horses I have been around want nothing to do with people. That snort is a sign of nervousness he may be craving your companionship but might be afraid. Just being near you will comfort him. They have very strong herd instincts.

Go to a local feed store like Cal Ranch and see if they have some one who can help you. A domestic horse especially a gelded male might not fare so good with a band of wild horses and they are very territorial and he will likely be on the losing end of most battles since he has been gelded, I hate to suggest this but you could call the humane society if it looks like he was just dumped out there. It could be that the owner could no longer afford to feed and care for him.

If water is hard to come by I would take him a bucket of water and a small amount of grain and see if you can bring him into you. If he does come in then only let him have about a dozen swallows of water and about a cup or two of gran as to much of either could kill him. If he truly is lost some one will be looking for him.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

OYE
October 7, 2010, 12:30 AM
If you are between Reynolds Cr. and Marsing or Homedale, some of those wild horses see people all the time, they often just stand back and watch at a distance. I haven't seen any dumped over in here this summer, but it's always a possibility as we approach winter. Since the butchering plants were closed in 2007, people are having trouble getting rid of their unwanted (for whatever reason) horses. If you are sure it's a domestic horse, call the BLM at Marsing. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
By the way, Murphy is the Owyhee County Seat.

ArmedBear
October 7, 2010, 12:42 AM
That's right. For some reason I got it stuck in my head that Marsing is, but the County buildings are all in Murphy. Seems like an easy connection to make... Brain fart on my part.:)

Found some huns over that way the other day, but no chukar that time. Too wet going to too dry leads to strange bird doings. Even the forest grouse are moving around a lot, and seeming to disappear from one area while concentrating in another, presumably where there's more water.

I don't know; if the horse was dumped, it was recently. He just looked too clean. Who knows, though. His behavior didn't seem to indicate that he really wanted to be too close to us, but maybe he doesn't like dogs much. I'm sure no horse behavior expert.

OYE
October 7, 2010, 12:56 AM
There is one, like you describe, that acts that way in the Hardtrigger area. That horse looks pretty decent as well. He could pass for a domestic horse this time of year.

grubbylabs
October 7, 2010, 01:09 AM
If he comes in to you holding a grain bucket then he is domestic or the horse version of Yogi Bear. I am not horse expert but the ones we had and that my inlaws do have don't just walk up to you if they are out in the field. If they are in corrals the will usually let you walk up to them and catch them but once in a while they make you work for it.

Either way nature will take its course, and he will live or not.

We have been out to watch the wild horses around chalice a few times and it is pretty cool to watch them run around. I have seen them come running over a hill and just as they see us they hit the brakes so hard they almost go but end over first. Then they sorta stop and look at our horses like they are crazy or something.

OYE
October 7, 2010, 01:16 AM
I am a horse expert.

Roughneck08
October 7, 2010, 02:44 AM
Hmmm that is interesting. I would look for a brand if he had one. I would call the fish and game or wildlife agency or whoever mangaes that like said above. Idaho is beautiful my wife and her family is from Idaho. I just visited McCall Id for two weeks. Beautiful country!

OYE
October 7, 2010, 03:10 AM
Idaho Fish and Game Department does not manage wild horses in Idaho. The BLM does.
And the Marsing, Idaho BLM Office is in charge of this section of Owyhee Co.. I live here
in Owyhee County. If it is a domestic horse that someone has abandoned, hopefully the BLM will put it down. All the rescue shelters are full of unwanted horses in this area,
there simply is no place to put them.
For everyones info, there are very few domestic horses in Owyhee County Idaho that carry brands these days. And even fewer in the neighboring counties. It's quite noteworthy to see a branded horse
here.

Roughneck08
October 7, 2010, 05:05 AM
Well, Oye I appreciate that information. I understand Idaho is quite different than Texas. I just figured fish and game might have information (If someone had notified them about their missing livestock) and they could notify that person. Anyways, thanks for clearing that up...

desidog
October 7, 2010, 10:53 AM
Could you see if it was shod? Did you get a picture?

About five or six years ago my neighbor in Ketchum had a horse that took off during a storm; they searched high and low, called in trackers, but no luck. It was found two or three weeks later in the bottom of a ravine. Quite sad, and a bad way to go.

I'd call up both BLM and Fish & Game; if it was lost it should have been reported to one or both.

CoRoMo
October 7, 2010, 12:51 PM
Dang. My family has been looking for unwanted horses, to take off of peoples' hands. Keep hearing that there are more horses than people want, and that since butchering them is not politically correct, people just dump them out in the wild to die in suffering. Never could find a single horse that someone wanted to give up though. If it's true that people are willing to give a good horse away to a better home, we shouldn't have bought the horses we bought.

grubbylabs
October 7, 2010, 01:12 PM
Its not every day but we see horses in our local want adds for free or next to free from time to time so they are out there you just have to be quick about it. Your only a few hours from us let me know if you want and I can send you the link to one of the more popular papers.

CoRoMo
October 7, 2010, 01:30 PM
Hmmmmm. Cool. I'll look into it.

mcdonl
October 7, 2010, 01:34 PM
Armed, you very aptly titled your post! I hope for the best for the horse.

ArmedBear
October 7, 2010, 02:20 PM
Interesting... I just talked to a coworker with horses and a lot of local horse experience. She said that, in that area, free-ranging of even pampered domestic horses is common, and they run around in the hills, eat, do whatever horses do, and return home.

Go figure.

This was a bit north of Hardtrigger, but definitely well within the range of a healthy wandering horse. Maybe it was that one, or maybe it was someone's free ranging horse.

Either way, as Roughneck08 says, it's different from Texas. I just hadn't encountered a lone horse out in the boonies before. Horses yes, but horse, no.:)

CoRoMo
October 7, 2010, 02:42 PM
If I were free-ranging, I'd want my horses to be wearing a brand, a bridle, something. But it's a little different from Colorado too.

OYE
October 7, 2010, 03:37 PM
"Interesting... I just talked to a coworker with horses and a lot of local horse experience. She said that, in that area, free-ranging of even pampered domestic horses is common, and they run around in the hills, eat, do whatever horses do, and return home."

That is incorrect information. Cattle can be grazed in the areas on the BLM in Idaho in the wild horse range but not domestic horses. If you are not in the wild horse range then
it's a different story.
In case you didn't notice there are many cross fences and cattle guards in this end of Owyhee county to divide up the grazing range. The wild horses are not free to roam
whereever they want to go. If someone did lose a horse here it would be a simple matter
to go find it. This would be considered a remote area for a person from Boise no doubt.
It's far from it. There are Chukar hunters covering the same areas two or three times
a day on the weekends and the better areas covered once a day during the week. Plus
the area gets combed by horse back riders and 4 wheelers every weekend all summer.
How wild do you expect a wild horse to be. Remote, hardly.

ArmedBear
October 7, 2010, 03:57 PM
No, I don't consider that particular area to be remote, in the sense that nobody ever goes there.

"Remote" was just a characterization of much of Owyhee County's beauty: most of it is not designated "wilderness", but it's really easy to get away from other people and hear yourself think, there. Yeah, it's been grazed a lot over the past 100 years, but it hasn't been paved. The word is also used to describe the place, geographically, in the context of the United States.

Note that Boise is also the most remote major city in the US, in that it's the farthest from any other such city. That doesn't mean it's not paved downtown. Still, the fact that people even think of Boise, pop. 200,000, as "the big city" is telling in itself, especially to the people on the thread from Illinois or Texas.

OYE
October 7, 2010, 04:35 PM
"Note that Boise is also the most remote major city in the US, in that it's the farthest from any other such city. That doesn't mean it's not paved downtown. "

We would certainly agree to that. "Remote" might not be the best discription, though, "alien" might be more apt.

CoRoMo
October 7, 2010, 04:39 PM
I thought that the Thorofare Valley was the most remote area in all the lower 48. I've been told that a million times anyway. Regarding its size and accessibility I think.

Not to hijack or anything.

Art Eatman
October 7, 2010, 05:53 PM
Another area that would assay pretty high for remote is in SW Texas. Look at a map: South of I-10 below Sierra Blanca and west of US 90 as it turns south from Van Horn. There ain't nuthin' there. And a heckuva lot of the terrain is way too mean for ATVs. Horseback or shank's mare. There's a sometimes-graded county road from Lobo Flats down to the Rio, but anything else is jeep-trail ranch roads at best--and few of them.

There was a 17,600-acre ranch for sale down in that country, back during the peak of the real estate boom. $35 an acre, asking price...

OYE
October 7, 2010, 06:18 PM
Sounds like more of a candidate than Owyhee Co., Idaho. There are some areas in Central Idaho that are 35 miles from the nearest road that might make the short list.
A brother commented on a visit about the sign on a Forest Service Road in the Elk Summit area. It says " No shooting next 1 mile, Guard Station." He said he knew that he wasn't in Indiana anymore when he saw that sign.

ArmedBear
October 7, 2010, 06:22 PM
Boise isn't all that alien to other cities. It has pockets of other cities all around it...

The North End wants to be Portland and most of its residents would just as soon be there. Meridian wants to be the nastiest flatland California suburb with endless subdivisions, concrete and strip malls of chain stores. They even imported traffic. I guess come people can't be comfortable without it. Eagle wished it were Scottsdale, I think, but gave up right about when the real estate boom imploded...

But then, there are other parts of town that feel kind of like Idaho.

ArmedBear
October 7, 2010, 06:42 PM
WRT Owyhee County being remote, Marsing isn't, but that big area in the SW corner of the state would qualify as being out there, not to mention 35 miles from the nearest road, if you don't count a jeep trail as a road.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=owyhee+county,+idaho&sll=42.31997,-116.470184&sspn=0.757492,2.110748&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Owyhee,+Idaho&ll=42.33926,-116.39328&spn=0.75726,2.110748&t=h&z=10

WRT "No Shooting" signs, hell, we have some like that in Boise. I'm surprised to see a 1 mile safety zone out in the NF.

OYE
October 7, 2010, 07:06 PM
"Marsing isn't, but that big area in the SW corner of the state would qualify as being out there, not to mention 35 miles from the nearest road, if you don't count a jeep trail as a road."

I do.

Roughneck08
October 8, 2010, 03:14 AM
Yeah I sure was suprised when I first went to Boise just in July. For a States capital it sure is small lol! I sure enjoyed Idaho though beautiful country up in McCall getting to see moose in marshes.

CoRoMo
October 8, 2010, 11:06 AM
I do.
Me too. I like the spots where you can only get in with hooves, feet, or small aircraft. Where no Jeeps, ATVs or mountain bikes succeed. Frank Church is something I've always wanted to hike. Heck, most of Idaho, western Montana, and NW Wyoming call to me. But, I piddle around in some of the tiniest wilderness areas here, comparatively speaking.

oneounceload
October 8, 2010, 03:54 PM
If Fish and Game (DOW, or whatever they are called in Idaho) doesn't respond, I would look for one of the wild horse rescue groups - we had them in northern NV - they take them in like a ny other animal rescue group and try to find the owner or at least a good home for him

ArmedBear
October 8, 2010, 07:04 PM
CoRoMo, for better or worse, the reason you can't get into the Frank Church Federal Wolf Petting Zoo and Bush Pilot Employment Enhancement Area with a wheeled vehicle is that you'll be arrested. "Wilderness area" is a legal designation. Wilderness may well be worth preserving in that way, but it's about whether you're allowed to, not whether it's possible.

I've been to some remote spots, where my Jeep sure wouldn't take me, but it was damned easy by canoe, if you have enough time and don't bore easily. I'm not sure if that's more or less remote than some other place, because a canoe has no wheels.

Anyway, to someone who is used to being 50 miles from the nearest town, and considers a jeep trail to be a road, I suppose SW Owyhee County isn't remote, since it's not on the moon. It's all relative.:)

To anyone without such stringent requirements for remoteness, it's worth seeing the place.

OYE
October 9, 2010, 05:08 AM
"Me too. I like the spots where you can only get in with hooves, feet, or small aircraft. Where no Jeeps, ATVs or mountain bikes succeed. Frank Church is something I've always wanted to hike. Heck, most of Idaho, western Montana, and NW Wyoming call to me. But, I piddle around in some of the tiniest wilderness areas here, comparatively speaking"

Loaded the trailer, heading out in a couple of hours with the stock for the Frank Church. Hope to be back by Nov. 1st. We'll leave this remote Owyhee Wilderness to the 4 wheelers and motorscooters and the mountain men, for a while at least. Hope this horse thing is all settled by then. Guess BLM still has about 35,000 of the broomtails in the Midwest holding pens. Do they really need another one ? Cheers

Shadow 7D
October 9, 2010, 06:25 AM
Craigslist and feed stores, basically call around to where people exercise/feed horses and post something online, if it's wanted, someone will be looking hard.

Also, I remember alot of stories where the horse found its way back to it's barn when it was lost, don't know how true it is, but they aren't stupid animals.

Art Eatman
October 9, 2010, 01:17 PM
And it's about time to close this particular barn door...

If you enjoyed reading about "Weird one: Reporting a lost horse?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!