One more timing question!!!

PDA

Drew78
October 6, 2010, 11:35 PM
Sorry for all the posts lately, I am trying to learn all the finer points of the wheel gun and owernship/care :D

So I was reading Jim's excellent sticky about revolver check out. In reading the one on timing it mentions using an unloaded gun, to shine a bright light at the back end of the cylinder, and pull the trigger (DAO gun) to get it in full lock up for each cylinder to check alignment to the bore.

So I did this on a whim on one of my LCR's and noticed something. On 2 of the chambers they dont line up EXACTLY. Its probably off by 1-2 hairs. I tend to be a tad obsessive about stuff like this, so I may be making more of than needed, but there are 2 cylinders that dont line up perfectly.

Now....

I have somewhere between 500-600 rounds through this 357 Mag with ZERO issues. No "spitting" or build up inside the frame, only on some wicked full house Remmy 125 rounds did I get some "spitting" on my support hand thumb (it was up high and away from the gap). I dont shoot those anymore b/c they were not any fun. Corbon DPX, Golden Saber magunms, and any 38's never spit at me.

Accuracy is phenominal. Lock up is tighter than my .38 LCR.

SO, do I have a problem here??? :confused:

It concerns me a bit that I dont have absolut perfect alignments on every cylinder as it relates to the bore, but it shoots and runs like a top.

What do you all think?

Thanks as always!

-Drew

If you enjoyed reading about "One more timing question!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LHshot
October 6, 2010, 11:52 PM
cock the hammer veeeery slowly with your thumb, and notice that second click when the cylinder stop drops into the cylinder. It should happen before the hammer cocks. Sometimes (such as on my S&W .357) the timing is a little off, and that second click doesn't happen before it cocks on one or more cylinders. I've shot thousands of rounds, .38 spl and .357, powder puffs to full-house boomers, and I've never had the slightest problem with the gun. It's so close that, for all practical purposes, it doesn't matter. That said, I have an oversized hand on my bench that I intend to install, and if that doesn't tighten it up I'll probably replace the extractor star, too. If the timing is seriously off, the gun could be dangerous. Doesn't sound like yours is. In fact, I had a smith put a new trigger in mine to solve a push-off problem, and he said it was all up to spec.

Drew78
October 7, 2010, 12:01 AM
The LCR in question is a DAO, no hammer to get ahold of.

In retrospect, its really not the Timing per se I am concerned with. Everything times up in sequence very well and locks up solid.

My main concern, and point of this thread is how te alignment between the bore and 2 of the cylinders dont line up exaclty. VERY close, but not "dead nuts".

This is my concern and am hoping to get feedback on.

your post was helpful in understanding the sequence of the lock up, thanks!

BKDinTexas
October 7, 2010, 12:29 AM
There is some wiggle, or cylinder play, in Ruger and S&W revolvers, even at full lock up. The reason for this is so the cylinder can "give" a smidge as the bullet centers itself in the forcing cone while leaving the cylinder. The new Ruger LCR's, in particular, seem to have more cylinder wiggle than most. If the offset is a hair or two, as you describe, I would not be concerned. Especially if you are not experiencing any spitting from the barrel/cylinder gap while shooting, or noticing any bullet shaving.

Drew78
October 7, 2010, 07:18 AM
Good to know on the cylinder play, never thought of that before.

thanks for the feedback!

Old Fuff
October 7, 2010, 07:54 AM
Jim's checklist is an excellent one, but on the issue of checking chamber/bore alignment he made a mistake - well just sort of... :uhoh:

There is only one design of revolver that requires that the trigger be held fully to the rear while checking the alignment, and those are Colt's that include (among others) the Python, Detective Special, Cobra, Agent, Diamondback, Army Special, Official Police, New Service... I could go on and on...

The basic platforms were introduced in 1908, and discontinued by the middle 1970's for the most part because the design require a lot of careful and skilled hand fitting.

Anyway, double-action/hand ejector revolvers made by other manufacturers don't work the same way as the forementioned Colts. Neither do newer model Colts introduced after the early/middle 1970's.

Chamber alignment can be checked with the trigger forward or back because trigger position has no affect on the lockup, and there should be a slight wiggle in rotational movement when the cylinder is locked. If the cylinder stop (by whatever name) was absolutely tight in the notch a little fouling or dirt might prevent the stop from fully entering the notch, and leave the cylinder partially unlocked.

I once had a discussion with Bill Ruger Sr. on this subject. The Army was buying some of his Security Six .38 revolvers and had specified a tighter tolerance between the stop and notch then he thought was reasonable. So some special stops were made to the Army's requirements, and sure enough during fast double-action tests the stop started to skip notches.

Anyway I'm sure your LCR is fine. If it wasn't you would have noticed spitting.

Drew78
October 7, 2010, 08:01 AM
Thanks Old Fuff!

What a great story!

I do notice MUCH better alignment btw cyliner and bore on both LCR's when they are in full lock up...

Thanks for the feedback, and easing my mind. I got enough crap to worry about in life already :banghead:

Drew

LHshot
October 7, 2010, 09:10 AM
My bad–I didn't know the weapon. Just looked it up, and now I want one.

Drew78
October 7, 2010, 11:03 AM
No sweat!

Yeah-the LCR platform is the "game changer" in the snub market IMHO... Simply awsome!!!

unspellable
October 7, 2010, 06:32 PM
Webleys are like Colts in that the need to be checked with the trigger held back. There's probebaly some other revolver out there that's likewise.

As for the LCR, you should carefully count how much you shoot through it. After 100,000 rounds or fifty years, whichever comes first, you should get rid of it.

Jim K
October 7, 2010, 09:38 PM
It might be a good idea to make sure every other mechanical device is absolutely perfect before being concerned about a gun that has given no problems. Are you sure the valves in your car engine are all set to the exact factory standard and every tire has the exact recommended pressure? Better check. ;)

Jim

Drew78
October 7, 2010, 09:41 PM
Ok Ok....

I said I was a bit wacky with this stuff sometimes.

Point well taken sir!

Just wanted to make sure we were good to go, I am new to wheelies but really enjoying them for ccw!

-Drew

Drew78
October 7, 2010, 10:18 PM
Reason for this post is that I thought that the bore and cylinders HAD to line up PERFECTLY with no room for error.

hence my question, sorry for being so up tight, still learning the finer points of how these bad boys really work...

Waywatcher
October 7, 2010, 10:44 PM
Drew,

I feel for you buddy.

Trust me, my wife would agree that I worry too much about these things too.

Ask questions and continue to learn. One day someone else will ask and you will know the answers.

Drew78
October 7, 2010, 10:50 PM
I really do appreciate everyones time and feedback, it has made me feel MUCH better about my non-issue. I am recovering and much better now :)

Talking bottom feeders, no problem, wheelies are new but I love learing the in's and out's of new firearms/platforms.

thanks again to all!!!

Red Cent
October 7, 2010, 11:24 PM
Not familiar with the LCR but the Ruger single actions do not have much if any angle on the forcing cone. In our competition,it is normal for Ruger owners to have the forccing cone opened up to 8-11 degrees. Significant increase in accurcy usually.
If you have "spitting", this may be remedied by having a 'smith cut your forcing cone.

Drew78
October 7, 2010, 11:38 PM
No spitting/shavings that I am aware of.

My recolection is that the forcing gone on the LCR is pretty open in that it has a pretty good angle on it...

788Ham
October 8, 2010, 12:06 AM
I used to own a Ruger Single Six Convertible, .22/.22 mag., 6" model, back in the early 70's. My friend and I were out shooting our pieces, both of us having a ball. I told my buddy I was going to change cylinders and give the .22 mag's a whirl. I fired 3 rounds, man, I could tell the difference between them, on the 4th shot, it really had a loud boom! The cylinder gate on the revolver was blown open, my hand stung like Hell, and the cylinder was locked up tighter than Hell too. Upon looking at my bleeding hand, I had 2 small pieces of brass in my index finger, and had unburned powder blown into my finger and almost to the palm of my RT hand. The long/short of this, the mag cylinder wouldn't align up 3 of the of the cylinder holes! It was sent back to Ruger with 2 unfired rounds in it, they checked it out and sent me a new Single Six, no questions asked! The letter sent with it specifically stated,"The findings are as you stated, not properly aligning holes in cylinder, shouldn't have left factory!" I shot probably 15 cartons of shells through it before I sold it to another friend. These things do happen. Good luck in finding a good one!

If you enjoyed reading about "One more timing question!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!