A question for some of you older gentlemen (and ladies)

PDA

MikePGS
October 7, 2010, 10:53 PM
Has there always been so many people who seem to be paranoid and fearful when it comes to firearms? As long as I've been alive I've known there were a good number of people who had this attitude. But has it always been like this? Kind of curious since I saw this advertisement today

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s54/MikePGS/32245.jpg

And couldn't even imagine seeing something like that these days.

If you enjoyed reading about "A question for some of you older gentlemen (and ladies)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rail Driver
October 7, 2010, 10:57 PM
This isn't the first time I've seen this exact post... Maybe I'm having deja-vu or just losing my mind?

Liberty1776
October 7, 2010, 10:58 PM
No. When I was a kid, I believe more people had guns, and recognized them for the tools and useful items they are. But then, I was raised in a small farm community, so that certainly may have made a difference...

Onmilo
October 7, 2010, 11:40 PM
Back in my day kids use to play with guns all the time and we had lots of accidental discharges since wealso played with the ammo.

It is the reason our parents were always angry and drank too much,,,

yeti
October 7, 2010, 11:46 PM
No wasn't always this way.

I grew up in NJ, 13 miles west of NYC. There were a bunch of pistol ranges around, Greeley's; Lodi Gunsmith; Paterson Ron and Gun; the range in the basement of the bar in Garfield. I can remember my Dad going to the Police Station for a pistol purchase permit (it WAS still NJ after all), filling out the forms, having the form brought right into Chief Nee's office and the signed form back in Dad's hand in less than 5 minutes.

In high school we had a Trap and Skeet Club, we used to bring our shotguns into school and keep them in our lockers on field days. My Dad was co-Captain of his high school's rifle Team, Xavier H.S. ( back when the Jesuits were still Jesuits) IN New York City, he used to tell us stories about riding the subway to school carrying his rifle (ok, that was in the '30s, but still, taking a rifle on a NYC subway and living to tell the tale!)

As Boy Scouts we used to shoot up at the gravel pit, the Boy's Club camp always had riflery. Almost every boy I grew up with had a .22, and the rest had at least a BB gun.

This was no rural area, we lived in the city between cities suffering from the decay of the early industrial age's mill towns, this was within 3 miles of Sam Colt's original Paterson factory. Funny, now that I think about it, as a city boy I sure got a heck of a lot of trigger time as a kid, thank god dear old Dad was really deep into the gun culture.

M2 Carbine
October 7, 2010, 11:48 PM
Has there always been so many people who seem to be paranoid and fearful when it comes to firearms?
No, not even close.

When I was a kid you could order guns out of magazine ads. The guns were delivered to your door by the post office.
If you were walking down the street with a rifle over your shoulder, if anything was said it would be something like, "Hey boy are you good with that rifle".

I could go on and on.

Today's anti-gun attitude is just a system of the downward direction the people and government have been going for some time.

yeti
October 7, 2010, 11:59 PM
When I was a kid you could order guns out of magazine ads.

I seem to remember the old Bannerman's ads you could order recoilless rifles and and cannons, probably crew served artillery pieces too.

LHRGunslinger
October 8, 2010, 12:04 AM
This isn't the first time I've seen this exact post... Maybe I'm having deja-vu or just losing my mind?

If you're loosing your mind then you're not doin it alone. I could SWEAR I've seen this post before.

Oyeboten
October 8, 2010, 12:15 AM
When my parents were young, anyone could walk into any Sporting Goods Store and order a Colt 'Monitor' or 'BAR' or Thomsons or anything else...anyone could buy old surplus Machine Guns and so on.

'Silencers' were Mail Order or Sporting Goods Stores also, to your Door, no paperwork or BS...same as any other Arms or related.

When I was growing up, Guns were never any big deal to anyone, never any associations in people's minds which were detracting...lots of kids Hunted and Target Shot, lots of ROTC in high schools...tons of WWI, WWII and Korean War Veterans all over the place, no jive or BS or hype till that 1968 Gun Control Act was passed anyway.

Buck Snort
October 8, 2010, 12:30 AM
Up until 1964 you could order guns out of the Sears Roebuck catalogue.

Mousegun
October 8, 2010, 12:33 AM
The deterioration came on slow and it sort of hit us in the back of the head. Probably the biggest thing that brought guns to the forefront was the assassination of President Kennedy. That was the end of mail order and the beginning of a lot of the restrictions we have today.

All the politicians wanted to be the first in their neighborhood to pass sweeping legislation that would prevent something like this from ever happening again.

As we all know it did nothing for the criminals but it sure did drop a beatin' on the good guys.

We are now trying to gain some of the ground back and in some cases we actually are making progress but man what an uphill battle it is.

M2 Carbine
October 8, 2010, 12:38 AM
I seem to remember the old Bannerman's ads you could order recoilless rifles and and cannons, probably crew served artillery pieces too.

I do remember those anti-tank guns. I thought that would be cool but I couldn't afford the ammo.

I did buy a 38 Webley pistol and Beretta .25 out of a magazine and I bought my first (new) GI 1911A1 from the government for $17.

Isn't it interesting that back then when almost anyone could, and did, buy guns there was no such things as school shootings, etc.

Sport45
October 8, 2010, 12:38 AM
If you're loosing your mind then you're not doin it alone. I could SWEAR I've seen this post before.

You mean this one (http://thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=6649279&postcount=1)? I think I saw the same one at TFL too.

Rail Driver
October 8, 2010, 12:39 AM
Glad I wasn't really losing it, I knew I'd seen it before.

788Ham
October 8, 2010, 12:41 AM
I've seen this ad posted in another forum a week ago, never saw it before though. Growing up as a kid in Golden, my Pop always had guns around, we weren't allowed to even touch them unless he was around. This type of thinking is long gone today, I was fortunate, my Pop started my older brother and I in Junior NRA shooting at 8 years of age, we both did very well, and still shoot today. Miss those younger times, things were a lot simpler then......

MikePGS
October 8, 2010, 01:27 AM
That's crazy that someone used the exact same picture, Lol

Captcurt
October 8, 2010, 10:36 AM
I remember walking to school with my 22 and going hunting afterwards with my teacher. We're talking 6th grade and taking the gun "INTO" the school, sticking it in the corner in plain site. Now when some dufus sees a gun in public they have an absolute hemorrhage. The media today would have you believe that you are in danger of the gun going beserk and killing everyone in the building.

Times are different now. We have let the criminals have too many rights and too little punishment. I say hang them in the streets.

Charleo0192
October 8, 2010, 10:46 AM
I dont think people are afraid of a gun...I think they are afraid when they are the ones not in control of the gun. there may be some fear coming from little understandings of how a gun works as well, I just think if you had the gun and knew how to work it you wouldn't be so against guns.

22-rimfire
October 8, 2010, 11:16 AM
I don't see the relationship of the advertisement to what you state in your post.

Accidental discharge is a matter of definition. If you pull the trigger and the gun is loaded, the gun will fire. That is not accidental. However, the child pictured in the advertisement could easily fire the gun accidentally due to lack of education and maturity whether it be a pistol or revolver.

NCsmitty
October 8, 2010, 11:23 AM
People fear what they don't know or understand.
I believe fewer people are being exposed to firearms and their use directly, and it's reflected in the attitude of people who are exposed to sensationalized headlines in the anti-gun media.
This has been mentioned by others at this thread.

We have all seen the results of the hysteria created by the anti-gun people.

I know growing up that there were firearms in my family, but no recreational shooting ever occurred, they were tools used for pest control.

NCsmitty

TexasGunbie
October 8, 2010, 01:19 PM
wow I am loving this thread. More stories from old timers please!

The Lone Haranguer
October 8, 2010, 01:21 PM
In the mid 1960s, I took my new toy guns to school for show-and-tell. Now even a pointed finger will get your kid suspended from school and a psychiatric evaluation. :mad:

jnyork
October 8, 2010, 01:35 PM
In 1976 I was stationed in Sacramento, my 8th grade son got one of those kits to build a flintlock pistol. He got permission from his shop teacher to use it for a shop project at school. He polished and blued the barrel, polished out the brass castings, finished and fitted the stock, got it all done, teacher told him he could get extra credit if he could prove it worked. Took him out to the range, put 5 rounds in a target ( admitting the target was very close) using black powder and round balls. He got an A+ on the project and still has the little gun.

He would probably be expelled for the rest of the year for even suggesting it now. :banghead:

shockwave
October 8, 2010, 02:31 PM
Not sure if I qualify as a genuine "old-timer," but from my childhood I recall that gun ownership wasn't as common as it is today. It seemed that revolvers were much more popular than semi-autos, but of people who did have firearms, they usually owned rifles and occasionally shotguns.

In other words, I see gun ownership - especially that of handguns - as being more common now than before, and revolvers are less dominant in the field. This applies to adults in general. The comments above regarding guns for young people seem to address a different issue.

BaltimoreBoy
October 8, 2010, 03:22 PM
I don't think people 'feared' guns in olden times the way some do today.

My great grandfather was an immigrant - born in 1840, my grandfather was born in 1880, and my father in 1914. None of them owned any firearms. They were city dwellers. My grandfather and great grandfather were skilled workers, my father was an office worker. As city dwellers they had absolutely no perceived need for a gun. They never went to the country to hunt - didn't have a car till 1936.

And in those halcyon days if someone kicked in your door while you were home (almost inconceivable) the neighbors would have come out and the cop on the beat (and I mean literally pounding a beat) would have been there soon. Add to that there being three grown men in my grandfather's house each massing about 180-220 pounds (quite respectable for the era) and you just didn't have trouble.

My father first bought a gun about 1962 if I recall correctly. A marlin made glenfield .22 marketed by Montgomery Wards. At that time such guns didn't even have a serial number.
He was not really a gun fancier, he just felt that the times were changing in a manner that indicated that some precautions were necessary. By the time he retired he had a basic set: One service revolver, one 12 ga shotgun, one serious bolt action rifle. He got to the range only enough to familiarize himself with his inventory.

My opinion is that the 'fear' factor is the same fear that has infected life across the board in our era. When I was a boy our cars had metal dashboards and no seatbelts. Kiddy seat? Are you kidding, I used to stand on the floor of the back seat of our 1951 Dodge Coronet while dad drove (cars were rather higher profile then). And mark you, my father was an exceedingly careful man. Cut off switches on lawn mowers? When I was 10 I begged my father to let me start cutting the lawn with the Briggs&Stratton lawn mower. No cut off switch. So you damn well make sure that your fingers or toes don't ever get under the edge buddy. I was so small that my dad had to start it for me because I didn't have the moxie to get it running with the pull cord.

The list is endless. Caps on Medicines, Lawn Darts. People are afraid of everything today. And the fault is not entirely with the trial lawyers. As long as ordinary joes think that getting an injury in a way that anyone with a grain of self respect would be too embarassed to admit entitles them to a winning ticket in the legal lottery you can expect it to continue.

Russ Jackson
October 8, 2010, 03:48 PM
I worked at Big Boy in the mid 70s when I was 15. We would hunt quail on the farm behind before work. We would bring the kill in and clean them followed by deep frying them in the pressure fryer and eat them on break. We actually left our guns in the lunch room area. I wish I still had that Cooey Bolt Action 22 single shot...Russ

hso
October 8, 2010, 03:50 PM
There were plenty of people that didn't "like" guns, but they weren't typically fearful. No one bombarded them with tales of violent crime or told them that they were supposed to live in fear. They more had the moral sense that people were responsible for behavior and that right and wrong were concepts well established.

PT1911
October 8, 2010, 03:52 PM
I spend a lot of my free time hanging around a friend's local gun shop and have heard many stories from the "old timers" about picking their guns up at the principal's office at the end of the day to go hunting (in NY) 50 years ago, but as recently as 15 years ago a friend , who used to be a teacher, sat in the library on his free period and helped a student assemble his AR. Wouldnt you know it, nobody was killed or injured.

Tinker
October 8, 2010, 04:14 PM
BaltimoreBoy,

Amen to your last paragraph. Folks using lawsuits as lottery ticket. Nail on the head. That and decades of anti-gun propaganda in the media and schools..

OP,

As a semi-oldtimer....recollections of the 60/70's...

One of my best freinds brings his new .22 to school to show it off to us and one of our teachers. Not a problem. He even carried it on the school bus, to and fro.

We show up for US history class one day. Male teacher (VN vet) has an AK on his desk for show-n-tell. Topic was VN war. No problem.

I'm sent to local Western Auto to get shells for my Dad a good bit. No problemm.

Black powder on the shevles of local general store and feed store. I never bought any, but I could have if I told the proprietors "my dad sent me".

Little brother and I run a trap line and regularly shoulder a .22 through town. Nobody batted an eyelash.

Three longarms and shells rest on an open gun rack in my father's bedroom. Only permission was needed to use them. Only difference with neighbors was that some folks were more well off and had a fancy glass gun case.

hardluk1
October 8, 2010, 04:56 PM
Everyone i new when growing up in sw fl own guns and hunted to some degree. I could by 22's when 13. Ride my bike to a near by store or ace hardware to get them and rode around most weekends in the woods in a jeep truck. That was the late 60;s well through the 80s. Went to school with a 12ga in the back window of my truck. Even around perry fl that was still the way till just a couple years ago. I could not imagine liveing with out firearms in my life. First shot a 22 49 years ago at 6 years of age. Had a my own pistol and rifle at 13.

Sauer Grapes
October 8, 2010, 05:06 PM
I remember K-Mart use to sell guns. Most of the big department stores had a gun counter.
My hunting buddies and I used to take our guns to school and afterwards would make a run out to a farm for an afternoon hunt.
Hell, I used to walk around school wearing my big folding buck knife on my hip. Nobody cared. Today you would be in jail! You can't even wear fatigues in school or camo clothing.

I seem to remember{or lack of} never hearing about all the local gunfights on the streets of Philly. Now, that's the first thing they report on every morning. Look what potential lawsuits have done to the gun industry. Someone breaks into my house or attacks me on the street, I use deadly force to protect myself, and I'll be in the poor house defending myself in court from the dirtbag or his family.
It's just turned into such a "NANNY" society, they want to outlaw every single thing that might cause some obscure injury to anyone that might turn a lounge chair into a pipe bomb.

statelineblues
October 8, 2010, 05:43 PM
I was too young to order guns thru the mail (1960's), but I do remember attending firearms auctions held by the Connecticut State Police in the 1980's - pistols in the spring and rifles/shotguns in the fall. You pay for it there, fill out the paperwork, and take it home (2 week waiting peroid for handguns IF you didn't have a LTC).

statelineblues
October 8, 2010, 05:48 PM
deleted (duplicate)

statelineblues
October 8, 2010, 05:55 PM
deleted (triplicate)

buck460XVR
October 8, 2010, 07:21 PM
In the mid 1960s, I took my new toy guns to school for show-and-tell. Now even a pointed finger will get your kid suspended from school and a psychiatric evaluation. :mad:

In the late 60's I gave a speech in High School about hunting. I took three long-guns and a bow to show the different types of tools used for different types of hunting. No one even looked twice at me carrying them down the hall to the classroom. Coupla years ago I stopped by the SAME high school to pick my kid up for hockey practice. I had been deer hunting earlier in the day and had two handguns and several boxes of ammo in the truck. I soon realized I was probably committing a felony and left the school parking lot and parked on the street where I was legal.

oneounceload
October 8, 2010, 07:44 PM
In the mid 1960s, I took my new toy guns to school for show-and-tell. Now even a pointed finger will get your kid suspended from school and a psychiatric evaluation

In the 60's most kids took their REAL guns to school so they could hunt on the way home
In the 70's most high school kids had the guns in the rack in the window of the pick up and they never locked the door or window

JohnBiltz
October 8, 2010, 08:57 PM
When I was in high school we would often bring our hunting gear and leave it in our cars during class and then go out and hunt after class. Everyone did it and no one cared. I remember in junior high school some one brought in some custom competition 1911s for some reason I can't remember. It was school sponsored though. A kid walking around with a .22 rifle was so mundane as to be unremarked upon.

Maia007
October 8, 2010, 11:08 PM
As was mentioned, the Kennedy assassination was the watershed event. After that, things changed. And changed forever. It was very much like 911 in more modern times. After 911, things changed. And changed forever.

Both were so shocking that society was willing (at least in the aggregate) to sacrifice various degrees of liberty for the hope that maybe the sacrifice would result in a greater degree of security.

Before Kennedy, the NRA was not about political activity. Before Kennedy there was little well-known anti-gun sentiment. Before 911 there was only modest security at airports. Strip searches of passengers were pretty much unknown.

In each case, the way society changed would not have ever been predicted.

Dulvarian
October 8, 2010, 11:56 PM
I have always seen the problem as people at some point figured out that they could blame someone else for everything and that was 'ok'.

The lack of personal accountability in nearly all arenas of life in this country have led to the moral, ethical, political, personal, financial, etc., etc. decline that we see.

Hold yourself accountable. Hold others accountable, especially if you are blessed with children.

I'm only 32, but when I was in high school in the early to mid 90's, it was routine to see rifles or shotguns in gun racks for guys that were going hunting after school. It was beneath notice to see kids in dressed out in camo walking out into the woods to go hunting. (Of course, this is pretty rural southern La., about an hour north of NOLA. I think the town I grew up in had about 7,000 people). That was all before Columbine.

But look at the numbers of kids that have taken their own lives due to vicious and constant bullying just this school year. Guns aren't the danger. I just wish everyone else could see it.

Old Shooter
October 9, 2010, 09:36 AM
In the eary 60's the local and one of the first big box stores, I forget what the name was, had Mauser 98's in wooden barrels. You picked the one you wanted and went to another box at the counter where they had the bolts, match them up as best you could, pay your $20 and you're good to go.

This store also had a bazooka hanging on the wall for sale, don't remember the price now.

In high school our English teacher, on opening day of deer season, would come in with his rifle and a bandoler of bullets, dressed in his hunting clothes and boots. When the last bell of the day rang he was the first one out the door!

The thing is, nobody gave it a second thought, it was a part of what America was about.

Then along comes a guy named Oswald who elected Lyndon B. Johnson president and it's been downhill pretty much ever since.

CajunBass
October 9, 2010, 11:00 AM
When I was a kid, almost everybody I knew of had a shotgun, usually a 12 ga, or at least it was assumed they did. It stayed propped in a corner of the kitchen, or hung in the rack on a pickup truck for a lot of them. A lot of people had a 22 rifle too, but they weren't as common since you could use a shotgun for hunting everything from squirrels and rabbits to ducks and doves, to whitetail deer. It could be used to defend the house, or wack a groundhog in the garden. Yep, a shotgun covered it all.

There were a few men who were known to have "high powered rifles". They were the fairly well off sportsmen who went "to the mountains" deer hunting. Exactly where "the mountains" were, I had no idea.

My mother refused to even let me think about owning a rifle...any rifle...she didn't care what kind. She was convinced that a rifle would kill some poor woman hanging her wash out over in the next county. Besides, I didn't even know where "the mountains" were, much less how to get there. :D

Handguns were almost unknown to me. They were something cops and crooks and TV cowboys had. I just knew I wanted one too. :D :D

MinnMooney
October 9, 2010, 12:13 PM
Has there always been so many people who seem to be paranoid and fearful when it comes to firearms?
But has it always been like this?

Absolutely not.

My dad lived on the outskirts of a small/medium sized town when he was a kid. He & his brother used to bring either a fishing pole, rifle or shotgun to school. It would be stored in the closet of his class room ready for them to take home in the evening. They would hunt or fish on their way home from school in the spring and fall. I guess the teacher thought very little about it. That was in 1926 - 1932.

In the late '50's and '60's, it was very common to be carrying a rifle/shotgun down a gravel road on the way back to the truck after a long walk in the fields. Peolpe would stop and ask if I needed a ride back to my truck. I toss the gun in the back seat and ride back. No paranoia there. :)

ArmedLiberal
October 9, 2010, 12:14 PM
In the seventies and eighties the movement for gun control/ban published a lot of scary statistics. There were a few mass shootings here and there. Seems like that was the first time I heard of an elementary school getting shot up and kids killed. There were Hollywood movies that portrayed guns in an evil light. A few planes got hijacked or blown up. Palestinian, Puerto Rican, European Communist terrorists made some headlines with lots of guns in pictures. Remember Patty Hears holding a Mini-14 in that picture she took with the SLA? Yeah.

Then the "Zero Tolerance" rules started popping up. Oh Lord.

Someone shot President Reagan with a .22.

Out of a sense of helplessness legislatures started passing more and more really stupid gun control laws. Because "We have to do something!" Activists dreamed of a gun free future. No one once suggested that an armed public would be a pretty nifty answer to potential violence.

By the nineties guns were pretty evil and scary and mostly illegal lots of places.

Now the tide is starting to roll the other way. We just need a few armed to the teeth nuts who start shooting up a college campus to get put down by nearby concealed carry types and maybe some pro gun movies and we'll be well on our way to reclaiming positive public attitudes towards firearms.

tpaw
October 9, 2010, 06:32 PM
Born and raised in the city, New York City. Just about everybody had some type of gun back then. Still do, millions of us! ;)

theotherwaldo
October 9, 2010, 10:30 PM
I don't think that you could say that these folks fear guns. Fear is too reasonable and too rational a term to describe their response.

No, I would say that these folks are panicked by the sight of a gun. It's a phobia, or perhaps a conditioned response. No logic or reason involved.

Has anyone else ever bought or sold a gun at a swap meet, an auction, or a yard sale? How about buying one at a drug store? I have. In each case it was just another transaction.

I never carried a functioning gun to elementary, middle, or high school, though I did work on some gun parts in shop class. I also brought in some demilled guns for stage props. I did carry a gun when I rode a horse to school in Northern California (the bridges were out, and we had to ford several creeks that were too swift to walk across), but the gun stayed in the stable with the rest of the tack. It was just another tool.

No, I think that folks have literally demonized guns, made them into things that are inherently evil.

pikid89
October 9, 2010, 10:54 PM
you didnt see that ad in a rib city did you lol cuz they got that sign hangin in the one near me

duns
October 9, 2010, 11:02 PM
This Iver Johnson ad was discussed in a previous thread http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=536067&highlight=iver+johnson but you have a nice new angle on it!

duns
October 9, 2010, 11:24 PM
One can never go back to a previous way of living. Currently, gun ownership is moving in the right direction but guns will never again be treated as tools to be left casually lying around for the children to play with, experiment with, take to school to show, etc. Hopefully, the RKBA will be generally respected again even if surrounded by the health and safety rules that we are blessed and burdened with in all aspects of our lives nowadays.

bonza
October 9, 2010, 11:48 PM
I was a teenager in the 1970s & lived in Australia. Bought my first guns from a K Mart & a department store at the local mall. My friends & I would walk through the streets of our suburban neighborhood with uncased rifles on our way to our shooting area in the foothills & I don't think anyone looked twice.

chieftain
October 10, 2010, 12:27 AM
I was raised in Melbourne, Florida during the 50's and early 60's joined the Corps in 66. Melbourne was a particularly small town in those days (ain't so small these days). From our first house I could shoot out the front door or back door with the 30-30. Today I would be arrested if I shot anything from that same house, including a BB gun.

My truck had a gun rack, and I kept a Sears&Roebuck/model 12 Winchester catalog shotgun and a Winchester 22in it at all times, including when I was parked in the school parking lot.

We would get into fights with each other, but no one pulled a gun. In those days I could not and could not imagine having the legal problems we have trying to hang on to our guns.

When folks warn you that the Government is taking "rights" away from you, don't ignore it. Check it out, and don't think, "they can't be that stupid". Yes they can.

Right now we are in the process of losing our "right" to choose our own health care. This whole thing will not end well. We must fight back.

We must continue to fight for our gun rights too. Never rest, never quit, keep fighting.

Good luck.

Fred

M2 Carbine
October 10, 2010, 12:37 AM
This thread reminded me of going to the little corner grocery store and buying a couple shotgun shells or a partial box of 22 shells.
Only the "rich" kids could afford to buy a whole box of shells.:D

duns
October 10, 2010, 01:08 AM
This thread reminded me of going to the little corner grocery store and buying a couple shotgun shells or a partial box of 22 shells.
Only the "rich" kids could afford to buy a whole box of shells.:DThat's endearing. I grew up in England where we could not buy ammo but I would go to the corner store and ask "what can I buy for six pence?". Usually the answer would be in terms of sweets-- pieces of liquorice or small chocolate bars or gobstoppers or fruit pastilles etc (probably terminology is different in USA). Sometimes I would say it's my father's birthday and they would offer to sell me one cigarette or one cheap cigar. Rather heartwarming to think of my American cousins buying shotgun shells!

bandur60
October 10, 2010, 02:47 PM
When I was a 10th-grader two of us skipped study hall and went to a second-hand store where we regularly bought and traded paperbacks. He picked out a breaktop 38S&W and I got some kind of a 32ACP, I don't think either of us paid over $20. Stuck them in a pants pocket and made our next classes. No comments there or when we got home ('course we didn't advertise to everyone.)

KodiakBeer
October 10, 2010, 04:03 PM
Even in the 70's (when I was 16, 17, 18 or so) I can recall walking into our small town from a day of pheasant and rabbit hunting in the fields and stopping for pizza. We'd lean our shotguns against the wall inside the door and sit down for a couple of slices. Nobody asked us if the guns were unloaded or made any remark at all about the situation.

"High brass" number sixes were $2.40 a box, while "low brass" was $2.10. I still recall that price because we had endless discussions about the merits (or not) of spending that extra 30 cents for high brass.

This was in Michigan which is now a firmly anti-gun state. I don't know when that sea change happened - I left a long time ago. I suspect SWAT would be called if 3 or 4 teenagers walked into a pizzeria armed with shotguns today.

AZ Desertrat
October 10, 2010, 04:47 PM
No....in the 50's and 60's....guns were everywhere, talked about....and used all the time.....target shooting was a regular thing, there was no Political correctness....you went out and rabbit hunted in the desert on the weekends.

bracer
October 10, 2010, 11:35 PM
I grew up out in the farm and cattle country some 14 miles from a town of about 3500 population. My dad gave me a 22 slide action rifle when I was 13 years old but I was hunting with his old 22 rifle befor that time. I was in grade school when I would go into the hardware store and purchase 22 Rf ammo ,could have ben around 10 years old at that time. I was 15 or 16 years old when I purchased a 270 Win rifle and a 22 hand gun.. Im 75 years old now . Kids are not allowed to get firearms like I did or have the hunting. For a number of reasons land owners do not allow hunting on their land as they did when I was a boy.

Hillbillyz
October 10, 2010, 11:41 PM
One thing that has changed is how guns are portrayed in our society. When I was growing up all cowboys and police had guns. The people that got shot were bad guys, no innocents. Now you hear about murders and drive by shootings where innocent people are shot. Even though millions of us hunt and target shoot those sports are seldom if ever seen in the media of today. If they are the shooters are some type of macho cowboy with far more testosterone than brains.

SSN Vet
October 10, 2010, 11:52 PM
My pastor is an older gentleman and an avid sportsman who often tells stories of hunting and trapping back home in Michigan.

He loved bird hunting so much that he would bring his shotgun to school with him in the morning and keep it in his locker so he could go straight to the fields after school and maximize his time pheasant hunting before the sun went down.

The principal and teachers thought nothing of it.

theotherwaldo
October 11, 2010, 12:14 AM
By the way, the ad that started this thread came from the collection of James Lileks (http://www.lileks.com/), by way of the FoxNews site. They ran it as a slide show called Vintage Ads: What Were We Thinking? (http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/entertainment/2010/06/10/vintage-ads-thinking/#slide=1)

Weird, strange, oddly funny - in other words, typical Lileks.

cleardiddion
October 11, 2010, 09:18 PM
I'm not considered really an old timer at all (graduated HS in 07) but I suppose these kind of experiences also depend on where you grew up.

I started carrying a pocket knife at around 7th or 8th grade and nobody ever said a thing. Heck, even the teachers would ask us to use our pocket knives every once in a while. The trick was not to be irresponsible with it.

Ace carried some ammo (pest control), Kmart carried both guns and ammo,there were (and still is) always gun/hunt related exhibits at the county fair, and it wasn't such a weird thing to talk about shooting/hunting in school. Kids showed up at school with shotguns in the rack and ammo in the seats to go right after school. That is, till they started enforcing that 'zero-tolerance' policy all because of a bunch of social rejects (politicians and otherwise).

fiat128
October 13, 2010, 06:19 PM
These stories are pretty good. I'm not that old but I recall in the 80s my history teacher dressing up more or less like Daniel Boone and firing his black powder rifle in the quad during school. He did that several times and everyone knew what it was when they heard it. I remember the gun racks in trucks in high school too.

As a kid I went everywhere carrying a Daisy 840 BB gun and I lived in a subdivision. I can't imagine my kids doing that now, they'd probably get arrested and I'd be explaining my life to social services.

RandyC
October 13, 2010, 07:25 PM
Growing up in Oklahoma, I honestly don't remember a family that didn't own guns.

In the 6th grade my older brother talked to my teacher to get me out of school that day. The good reason? He was taking me hunting.

Getting a gun for Christmas was kind of a right of passage for a youngster, usually about 12 years old, usually a .22 rifle or 410 shotgun.

The world is a different place now and not for the better.

If you enjoyed reading about "A question for some of you older gentlemen (and ladies)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!