Most accurate .308 rifle

PDA

spook22
October 7, 2010, 10:14 PM
Hey looking to get the most accurate long range .308 rifle for less than $1,000. I am going to use this as mostly a target gun out to 400 yards, or more possibly. Thanks guys

If you enjoyed reading about "Most accurate .308 rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TonyAngel
October 7, 2010, 10:31 PM
Most accurate and under $1000? I'm new to bolt guns personally, but have seen lots at the range and have shot quite a few of them. The most popular are either the Savage or Remington 700 in some flavor of tactical or varmint model. Just keep in mind that it won't do anything that you aren't capable of.

JDMorris
October 7, 2010, 10:44 PM
truth, i woud suggest a howa m1500 sporter .308
mine shoots sub moa ususally.
and they cost 550.
and can be upgraded like crazy.

kis2
October 7, 2010, 10:56 PM
snipercentral actually has a pretty comprehensive list of rifles with great accuracy and usually list a street price, you might look around there for a little while. http://www.snipercentral.com/rifles.htm

I would concur that most .308 bolt actions I see are 700 or savage heavy barrels. howa or weatherby could certainly be an option, but if your budget without glass is 1k, I'd be looking into the remingtons and savages. If that was your budget WITH glass, I would still be looking at some of the cheaper remington 700's, as most of their heavy barreled actions are nearly, if not, the same.

good luck!

WNTFW
October 7, 2010, 11:02 PM
Is the $1k rifle only or does it include scope?

Consider a .223 also. Slightly more economical to shoot. Used can be a good way to save some money.

Weatherby Vanguard is Made by Howa & deserves a look.

Handloading may be worth it to you.

TonyAngel
October 7, 2010, 11:14 PM
Yeah, .223 is definitely an option and will do 400 yards pretty easily. It's also cheaper to buy and load for.

WNTFW
October 7, 2010, 11:53 PM
TonyAngel,
My first time with a .223 bolt gun really impressed me. The rifle was a real shooter. My first 2 shots were less than .75" apart @ 600 yds. Of course I managed to open up my group over the next 20 shots!
Easier on recoil as well. If you have a .223 AR (seen yours on here) they go together nicely. Great for paper targets. Bullet holes are a wee bit harder to spot, but at some point range and mirage becomes prohibitive no matter what.

USSR
October 8, 2010, 07:57 AM
Individual rifles are accurate or not so much so, not a particular make or model as a whole. That being said, get a rifle with a heavy contour barrel, have the rifle bedded, and lighten up the trigger. Then, go searching for good optics, and put the scope in good tactical rings. Good luck on the less than $1,000 thing.

Don

Snakum
October 8, 2010, 09:01 AM
I started competing in long range tactical matches earlier this year. I hadn't shot long range since post-level sniper school in the Army. I researched for hours and hours to find the right rifle/scope combo in my price range (same as yours), talked to a lot of more experienced long range shooters, read everything I could get my hands on, and tried to shoot every brand and model I could before buying. And here's what I found (YMMV):

* Individual examples of any brand can be a complete turd or can be a stellar shooter. I've seen inexpensive Howas shoot lights out while I've seen a high dollar custom rifle that would barely stay under 1 MOA. It's just the luck of the draw sometimes, though specific brands and models can tend to be very accurate as a rule, such as Savage 10FCPs/10FP LEs, etc. which are practically always serious shooters. Or Remington 700Ps which are almost always very accurate right
off the shelf.

* To go from a .750" weapon to a .500" starts to get real pricey. To get under .500" consistently you really gotta hammer the savings account. But then again ... you might buy an off-the-shelf Howa 1500 or Remington SPS Varmint or SPS Tactical that will group under .500" right out of the box. Ya just don't know. :D

* The base model Remington 700 Varmint and Tactical rifles can be made to shoot as well as any $3000 custom if you have the time and money to put into it. And if you get a good one off the shelf (Remington QA seems to be getting it back together of late) you can shoot it as is till you need more accuracy as you improve. If you can wait and build on a base rifle as money allows, the heavy barreled Remington 700 is the ticket. The aftermarket support for the SPS line is second to none and it is the most common rifle by far at long range tactical comps. If you get a good one, you'll be set for a while, and you will still have money for a Bushnell 3200 or SS 10x and rings.

* If you need a reliable and known .500" - .750" shooter right out of the box Savage is the way to go. Their heavy barreled LE model 10s (10FP, 10FCP, 10FCP-K, 10FCP McMillan) are very reasonably priced and finding one that won't shoot close to 1/2 MOA with tailored handloads right out of the box would be rare. I bought an 10FCP-K after a ton of the aforementioned research and I would buy it again in a heartbeat over anything else. You can buy a Savage 10FCP and throw a Bushnell 3200 10x on it and you are totally set. Buy a mountain of ammo and practice with a good long range shooter watching over your shoulder.

* If you don't want a heavy barreled tactical weapon for long range hunting (I use my long range rig for hog and deer), the most awesome sporter I've ever seen is the Thompson/Center Venture. They cut their own 5R rifled barrels in house and man they sure can shoot. Smooth action, too. Me likee. I saw a guy take one out of the box at the range and shoot sub MOA with cheap Wally World Federal PowerShoks. Quite impressive. They are said to be very, very reliable, too. All this for around $500 last time I checked.

On the hardware, your mileage may vary, of course.

To get serious about long range hunting check out any long range tactical shooting videos and books and hit the web for info and videos by Darrell Holland. He's da man when it comes to long range hunting.

spook22
October 8, 2010, 11:34 AM
keep them coming. also how would you guys compare a savage to remington 700 so far as accuracy?

USSR
October 8, 2010, 12:05 PM
Individual rifles are accurate or not so much so, not a particular make or model as a whole.

What is it about the above that you don't understand?

Don

dubbleA
October 8, 2010, 01:22 PM
Individual rifles are accurate or not so much so, not a particular make or model as a whole.

Truer words have'nt been spoken... I totally agree with Don on this. To throw out a blanket statement that one brand is more accurate out of the box than another is dumb.

Snakum
October 8, 2010, 01:33 PM
keep them coming. also how would you guys compare a savage to remington 700 so far as accuracy?

Well, again, based on everything I discovered when researching it's a 'six of one and half dozen of another' kind of thing. Flip a coin. You can buy a good or bad anything from any manufacturer.

Savage bolt guns have always had the reputation of being very accurate right out of the box and very reliable. I'm sure Savage has laid an egg or three. Just because I've never seen it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. But they are generally considered one of the most accurate and reliable rifles available for the money. However, they are also considered ugly (barrel nut, lines, etc.), have flimsy stocks (not true of the LE series so much, tho), and don't have the aftermarket support that Remington does.

Remington 700s are also generally very accurate and reliable, but some folks have gotten merely average accuracy (1 to 2 MOA) from the 700 tactical and varmint series at a time when $500 Weatherbys, TC Ventures, and Savage LEs are sub MOA out of the box. Remington has taken a hit on quality lately, and I have been stung myself a few times. But as near as I can tell they are getting better. I think they are going to get the quality sorted out. My last 7600 was flawless. And Remington has that tremendous aftermarket support so however your 700 SPS shoots you can turn it into a sub .500" rifle eventually.

You can put together a decent long range weapon system for under a grand if you shop smart and learn how to do a little work yourself (floating barrel channels, bedding actions, etc.). I've seen $1000 rifles holding their own in competition right beside the guy with the TRG-22. And I've seen guys with custom APA/Badger or GAP rifles who didn't seem to know which end the bullet came out of. It's the Indian ... not the arrow.

NELSONs02
October 8, 2010, 01:50 PM
When I think prodcution rifle accuracy certain names come to mind.

In the 1000 dollar price range however I'd consider CZ, Savage, Tikka & Weatherby.

"Individual rifles are accurate or not so much so, not a particular make or model as a whole." - Very True.

parker51
October 8, 2010, 01:52 PM
I have several .308's and all with decent scopes cost me less than $1,000. I have a Ruger 77, Winchester 70, a Savage 112 and a Remington 700. Of these, the Remington 700 with Nikon scope shoots the best for me. More info about this gun at the following link: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=6775373#post6775373

Boberama
October 8, 2010, 01:56 PM
Maybe something from Surgeon rifles?
Patriot Arms?
Robar?
Ed Brown?

I'm assuming you want a bolt rifle.

The DSR-1 is claimed to produce sub-0.2 MOA groups.

MrOldLude
October 8, 2010, 02:44 PM
Personally, to compliment my AR, I'm thinking about a Savage-Steven's 200 in .223. The gun itself is a little over $300, but is pillar-bedded, savage 110 actioned, and savage barreled. The only particularly desirable item (to me) I lose by going Stevens is the AccuTrigger.

Everything I've come across is they'll usually do below MOA out of the box. They're also sold in .308

redbullitt
October 8, 2010, 02:49 PM
for under 1k, Savage 10fcp in the hsprecision stock. With handloads it will CONSISTENTLY shoot into 1 minute and better. I haven't done any tinkering with it and it shoots as good as I can expect it to.

Also have very good experience with a rem sps in 223. I had to do some minor changes with it, but after about 100 dollars and some time, it is a total tac driver.

quietman
October 8, 2010, 03:14 PM
Well, I'll be a renegade here and mention the Marlin XL and XS series rifles.

These have features on rifles costing twice as much. Reviews are excellent and you can go on several forums and see nickel and quarter size groups from a rifle right out of the box. No bedding, no accurizing, and many shoot MOA or subMOA in the hands of a good shooter.

It too has an adjustable trigger. Marlin sells them with synthetic and wood stocks.

Uses any scope mounts that fit a Remington 700

PT1911
October 8, 2010, 03:47 PM
most accurate I have seen was a friends M-700 heavy barrel. I have personally witnessed my friend shoot a .177 (5) shot group and several sub-1/4 inch groups.

Second to that is the same friend's Savage which stalls out at about 1/5 inch 5 shot groups...

What is the difference, it was necessary to turn the barrel back, rechamber, recrown, float the barrel, and square the locking lugs on the Remington to shrink the groups form the initial 3 inch groups (same shooter, scope, rings, mounts, and scope.)

The Savage was right out of the box.

spook22
October 8, 2010, 03:50 PM
What is it about the above that you don't understand?

Don
USSR, this may be partially true but some makes and models do have far more complaints than others. Do you expect me to go and buy any old rifle i find without some input upon the average accuracy i can expect?

USSR
October 8, 2010, 07:12 PM
spook,

For a target rifle, plan on paying a smith to have it bedded and the trigger worked on. Having a rifle for which aftermarket match-grade parts are available is a plus. The problem with going with accuracy averages on the net is, a lot of them involve "internet" groups, that in many cases have no basis in reality. Go to a local rifle match and see what the competitors are using and what degree of accuracy can be expected.

Don

Uncle Mike
October 8, 2010, 08:06 PM
Get yourself a Savage and be happy, these rifles have been the most consistently accurate rifles as of late, the last several years, for a factory, mass produced rifle.

Truth is, they ALL shoot around the same level of accuracy, the trick is to find the rifle, and or manufacture that is producing rifles that are shooting well 'right now', when you are looking to buy one.

JDGray
October 8, 2010, 10:15 PM
Very pleased with my Savage 10FP 20" .308! holds .5 moa for me out to 300yrds, with tailored handloads. No reason a Remmy .308 couldn't do it too....My LTR .223 holds .5 moa with handloads, too!

Happy pickins:D

c919
October 8, 2010, 10:32 PM
Savage's are amazing guns, but if you want to branch out and look at something different, check out the CZ 550. I just picked one up in .308 and it is slick. I haven't put any glass on mine yet, but the one that I have shot was a completely stock clover-group shooter.

While I love the Accutrigger, the CZ set trigger is SWEET (and the un-set trigger on mine is about average for it's price range). It breaks at about 3/4 of a pound out of the box. It's a different machine for sure, but very awesome.

I think Savage and CZ bolt actions are about the best bang for your buck these days. However, if I was going out right now to buy a new current production bolt action, it'd be the a new FNchester 70.

TonyAngel
October 8, 2010, 10:47 PM
You could build an inexpensive version of this and come in at around $1000, not including the Scope and mount, but it wouldn't be an over the counter proposition.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s265/ajangelettejr/Groups/DSC_0135.jpg
I just put this together the night before last.

What I mean by an inexpensive version is that you don't need a $300 stock and $200 trigger group or $60 flash hider. All else is pretty much run of the mill except for the barrel, which is a Douglass match barrel turned by Compass Lake and coated by Superior Barrels.

Skylerbone
October 8, 2010, 11:42 PM
The simple fact remains that there are far too many variables to be accounted for to make a solid suggestion. A descent scope, mounts and rings can run a hole through $1k without apology. We still don't know if that's your total budget or rifle only budget.

If this is your first forray in to long range shooting, don't expect 1/4" groups at 400 yards or even 100. Ultimately you will determine how accurate the rifle is. Some people can purchase better accuracy to a point but some will never shoot one hole. There's a reason Bob Villa hired Norm Abrahms to work on those Old Houses and why Jerry Jones doesn't QB the Cowboys.

We all realize you'd like some leads so I would suggest posting a list of your needs. Is weight a consideration? What position do you plan to shoot from most of the time? Are you recoil sensitive? Are you 6' 10" and need a custom stock? Do you know a good gun smith who can work on your rifle or do you need an out of the box solution?

My father has had rifles built that were simply impractical for their intended purpose and were unfortunately sold at considerable loss. He cannot mount a scope to save his life or bed an action but he can still outshoot me every day of the week with trifocals. No one wants to make a wrong selection for you or see you waste money needlessly. Nearly all of us will be brand centric (I like Remington) so it's hard to be objective.

Going to a match to see what others can do may not be your best sollution. I once met a guy at my local gun club who had chopped and recrowned his rifle 7 times.

Make the list, let us know, maybe we'll get you in the ballpark.

Robert Wilson
October 9, 2010, 12:14 AM
A few manufacturers offer accuracy guarantees. Weatherby, for example, guarantees that many of their rifles will make 1.5" groups at 100 yards with their ammo. This does not set the internet commandos on fire but will get the job done in the field every time.

Beyond that sort of thing, the only factory rifles I am aware of that are very consistently accurate are those from Browning, with the BOSS system. They don't get a whole lot of press - possibly because they're both funny looking and extremely un-tactical - but they really do shoot.

And after that, well, you've gotten really good advice from the folks telling you it's a crap shoot. Savage has a good - and deserved - reputation for accuracy, but I've had some real dogs from Savage. Same story with Remington: I had a 700 that was a consistent 7 MOA rifle with factory ammunition, and the factory wasn't willing to do a thing about it. But I've also had Savages and Remingtons that were sub MOA with just about anything you fed through them. You can listen to glowing praise for either or both all day long, but the rifle you end up with isn't going to know any of that and may still be a dog regardless of what some guy on the internet told you.

Frankly, I think the best approach may simply be to buy three of whatever you're looking for, test fire all of them, keep the best and sell the other two. That's probably the least expensive way to guarantee an accurate rifle.

atlanticfire
October 9, 2010, 12:32 AM
Savage F/TR
http://jaybiddle.com/GUNS/Savage1.jpg

spook22
October 9, 2010, 10:20 AM
My list of things i will need is

Rifle
Scope
Rings
Bi pod

I would like to keep this setup at or around $1,000

Skylerbone
October 9, 2010, 11:04 AM
http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P43585.aspx
Add this to one of these: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/445/products_id/80593. That leaves you about $150 for a set of steel rings and bases, Burris makes relatively inexpensive ones, just avoid aluminum. Buy a Caldwell 6-9" bipod and you're at $1000. Best I can do without specifics (don't know if you're a lefty or need a longer stock, etc.)

You might look in to a used Rem. 700 or a Savage and a good aftermarket stock which can help with shooting comfort and felt recoil.

Best of luck.

JDMorris
October 9, 2010, 11:05 AM
there is no such thing. get a remington or savage or howa. you learn to use it

mljdeckard
October 9, 2010, 11:12 AM
Rifles have come a long way in 20 years. It used to be that MOA rifles were rare and difficult to get. Not so anymore. If your range is out to 400 yards, Probably just about ANY brand-name bolt rifle in .308 will do the job.

And remember, the best rifle you can buy won't do much good if you aren't doing your part. I tell people, you need to get a .22, and practice until you can do less than two inches at 100 yards with open sights until you are bored. THEN you can start looking at longer ranges and heavier rifles. .22 is a LOT cheaper to learn the fundamentals with than centerfire calibers.

If it was me, I would cruise the pawn shops. (Particularly in this economy,) They are full of rifles that guys bought wanting to do the sniper thing, realized it was actually hard work and a lot of practice, let the rifle sit in the closet for two years, and then their wife made them get rid of it.

JDMorris
October 9, 2010, 11:34 AM
true true, i wanted to get into the sniper thing, so i bought a howa m1500 standard with hougue stock, and am buying a bell and carlson stock asap.
then a new scope, i already have 630 dollars into it with the expensive bipod i got, and over 100 dollars in match ammo ect, and then i have 60 dollar sand bags, i still need a nice mat, and case. then i'll be at about 1000 so, it does add up, you dont need just the rifle, you realize that when you try to shoot without rear support, and not having good ammo for good groupings, so yes, a nice nice rifle will do you well, but when i have the 1000 into my rifle and setup ect, it will most likely shoot better than the stock remington or savage.

mljdeckard
October 9, 2010, 12:23 PM
I've been hunting with a Howa 1500 for 20 years. The difference is negligible.

JDMorris
October 9, 2010, 01:01 PM
you mean yours is really good?
cause i think mine is amazing for me. cause im still learning high power.

mljdeckard
October 9, 2010, 01:09 PM
My .270 shoots about 2" at 100 yards with pretty much any ammo.

JDMorris
October 9, 2010, 01:36 PM
List

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My list of things i will need is

Rifle
Scope
Rings
Bi pod

I would like to keep this setup at or around $1,000

howa m1500 .308 no scope, about 550-600 dollars.
nice swiveling bipod-about 80 dollars.
good scope- 200-400 dollars. for your budget.
ammo typically 20 a box or over for good stuff.
your already at 1000, and have a good setup at that route
savage 10fp-1000 with no scope, and your out, things add up quick.

WNTFW
October 9, 2010, 03:14 PM
Spook22,
You can get going for a $1000. Some of the suggestions here are way past $1k. What you may have to do is be diligent and patient. Find used items when possible. Find a local forum and doing some horse trading may work. Bedding a stock & action can be a DIY project. It will make you appreciate how the guys that do it for a living only charge what they do.
A decent factory rifle with scope can be done for under $1K. It may not be the ultimate, but a good start. If you get into handloading that would be a wise way to shoot more. A lot can be done by working on your position, cheek weld and the like at home with out shooting live ammo. Figuring out how to adjust your scope for reticle focus and adjusting out paralax are things that need to be done no matter how much you spend.
As a friend from car racing says "you can't beat the system". Meaning you will still put time and effort and money out to achieve a goal. The ratio of time/effot/money may change, but cost always add up.
I found a good route was getting a pre-owned rem700. My first scope & bipod were hand me downs. Modded the SPS Varmint stock myself. Traded range pickup brass for scope & mounts. Mueller scope, Burris Extreme rings, EGW base are a good combo on a budget. After that is was handloads and trying to figure out how to shoot it.
I would take range time over equipment upgrades at this time.

Skylerbone
October 9, 2010, 05:25 PM
It's ok to trust us, we're all "snipers" here!

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=128370&d=1285886216

Seriously, my last post lists a 6-24x Vortex scope (which so many go gaga over here) for $100. The Tikka heavy barrel .308Win is selling for $736 and gives you a solid 8 lb. rifle with elevated cheek piece on a synthetic stock. Burris Xtreme Tactical 2-piece bases run $18 and and Burris rings are $35. The Caldwell bipod is $37.

736 + 100 + 18 + 35 + 37 = $926, add $100 to swap the Tikka for a 700P heavy barrel and you're only $26 over budget. I've suggested it before, have a garage sale next weekend and you'll likely have another $200 to buy ammo with. To be honest I'd skip the bipod and get a solid front rest/ rear bag combo for bench work. Bipods are helpful in the field but aren't the pinnacle of solid platform work.

blackops
October 9, 2010, 06:00 PM
Good luck on the less than $1,000 thing.

haha That's what I'm saying!

jpwilly
October 10, 2010, 10:08 AM
My under $1K build looks like this: Savage 10 w/Choate Tactical Stock $649+tax (Cabela's exclusive), Caldwell 6-9 pivot bipod $49, Weaver Bases $10 Weaver Steel Rings $20, Centerpoint 4-16x40mm IR Mildot Scope (optics are good enough to 14x I usually have it at 10x)

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/jpwilly/DSC_0044.jpg

Shot this first day out with it while breaking in an trying out some different ammo 100yrds (have it dialed in a bit more now with 175gr SMK pills) :

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/jpwilly/Targets168gr44grVarget.jpg

coloradokevin
October 10, 2010, 01:41 PM
Opinions on this subject will vary quite a bit, and you can find a number of decent bolt guns for under $1,000. I personally just bought a Tikka T3 Scout CTR (Compact Tactical Rifle). This rifle sold for $829, and they guarantee that their rifles will shoot MOA at 100 yards. If you aren't familiar with the company, Tikka is made by Sako (in Finland), and essentially amounts to a budget line of Sako rifles. The triggers are nice, and the bolt is simply butter smooth.

I have to admit that I haven't shot mine yet (still glass shopping), but I know a guy who has the same brand with the light barrel (a $600 gun), and he is getting 3/8ths inch 100 yard groups out of his rifle, with proper handloads!

JDGray
October 10, 2010, 04:00 PM
Skylerbone, is that you in the pic?:D

smartshot
October 10, 2010, 05:20 PM
remington 700 mountain rifle or remington model 7; either one would be a great investment for less than $1000.00 in 308 caliber.

Skylerbone
October 10, 2010, 07:58 PM
No JD, that is NOT ME. (It's my twin brother)

If you enjoyed reading about "Most accurate .308 rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!