What's this weird round bit?

PDA

MattTheHat
October 7, 2010, 10:27 PM
Just landed from a friend's most recent re-homing activities.

http://www.d-slr.com/guns/colt_dick_special.jpg

I can't figure out where the magazine goes or how to rack the slide. Not sure what the big round thing that spins around is for. Trigger travel seems reaeeaaalllyyyy long. Other than that, she's purdy.

Can you tell I mostly shoot automatics?

-Matt

If you enjoyed reading about "What's this weird round bit?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ridgerunner665
October 7, 2010, 10:47 PM
Thats one of them refillable rotary magazine types...LOL

And a nice one too...

19-3Ben
October 7, 2010, 10:54 PM
Not sure what the big round thing that spins around is for.

It's so you can carry it 6+1.:D

Beautiful.

Dimis
October 7, 2010, 11:40 PM
Its one of those old junk autos colt used to make

tell ya what I dont want you being disapointed so just send it to me I know how to dispose of it properly

Buck Snort
October 7, 2010, 11:47 PM
Its one of those old junk autos colt used to make

tell ya what I dont want you being disapointed so just send it to me I know how to dispose of it properly
There's always some big hearted guy who shows up around here to help the novices!

shotgunjoel
October 8, 2010, 12:07 AM
It's so you can carry it 6+1. Only if you are PT1911. Is that a Lawman?

MattTheHat
October 8, 2010, 10:50 AM
I knew I could count on you guys to educate me. :)

-Matt

slicksleeve
October 8, 2010, 11:34 AM
Welcome to the good side of handgunning. Hang around revolvers a while, and you'll soon notice very few threads about FTE's, FTF's, and 200 round break-in periods.

Nasty
October 8, 2010, 12:54 PM
At least the operations are simple...

Load, Carry, fire as needed.

MMCSRET
October 8, 2010, 01:49 PM
Nice late model Detective Special. I have a mate to it and it dearly loves my 125 gr. hand loads. It is my primary carry gun. The stocks are OEM, in case you were wondering, I have them also and, also questioned them because of the nonexistent Colt silver medallion. A Bianchi #8 "Shadow" holster labeled for "S&W Chief" fits perfectly; better fit for the Colt than the S&W 36/37 series it is labeled for; I know, I have them also.

Lucky Derby
October 8, 2010, 06:56 PM
Very nice DS.
Soon you will find more and more wheelguns in your safe and fewer and fewer bottomfeeders. or at least fewer new bottomfeeders arriving.

zoom6zoom
October 8, 2010, 08:20 PM
Can you tell I mostly shoot automatics?
There's still hope for you bottom feeders.

PT1911
October 8, 2010, 08:25 PM
Only if you are PT1911

Hey now...:D

Nice gun you have there... I am really getting developing an affinity toward the old fashioned swing out mags... currently 3 357's and one 38. Will likely soon add a 45 acp and a 45 colt as well as a .22 Lr...

Dr.Rob
October 9, 2010, 05:50 PM
You need a steady diet of 158gr lead SWCHP's. Those DS's are mighty fine.

smartshot
October 9, 2010, 05:54 PM
gangsters in 1920's Chicago didn't use them because they were junk, they picked the two best guns ever made.....colt det special or police positive, then the tommy gun. Thats why the Chicago PD had to beef up their duty ammo to the well known, "Chicago Load." This is the gun that the police found in Frank Gusenberg's hand during the St Valentine's Day Massacre investigation.

22-rimfire
October 9, 2010, 08:59 PM
Great revolver. It is one of those old fangled rotary "magazines". Keep looking for that slide.

MattTheHat
October 11, 2010, 01:34 PM
Okay, well she shoots, too! This was my second magazine full, err, uh, well, these were shots #7-12 out of the pistol at ten yards. Previous to this, I've shot maybe 50 rounds through one other revolver over the past 20 years.

I'm obviously never going to be a sharp shooter, but with my uncorrected vision, I was rather pleased.

-Matt

http://www.d-slr.com/guns/dick.jpg

Colt Smith
October 12, 2010, 01:41 AM
looks like it shoots a little "low and to the right".;)

rklessdriver
October 12, 2010, 02:41 PM
Nice DS. :cool: Congrats.
Will

Big Wes
October 12, 2010, 05:57 PM
Nice Det. Spl. I have one just like it! :D

MattTheHat
October 26, 2010, 12:21 PM
looks like it shoots a little "low and to the right".

Actually high and to the left. I hung the target upside down. But yeah, it's not shooting to point of aim unless watching that large round cylinder spin was throwing me off. :)

-Matt

If you enjoyed reading about "What's this weird round bit?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!