mag primers in 38 special or smaller caliber.

PDA

357reloading
October 8, 2010, 10:41 AM
Neighbor claims the "boys" at work say can use mag small pistorl primers in any caliber such as 38 specail.9mm or 380 auto.

Have never heard of that before. guidlines specify when to use mag primers.

If you enjoyed reading about "mag primers in 38 special or smaller caliber." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RandyP
October 8, 2010, 11:10 AM
Following your reloading manual's data will rarely get you into trouble.

If it says use standard, I cannot think of a reason not to use standard? Primer availability seems to be vastly improved these days.

Walkalong
October 8, 2010, 11:15 AM
You can, as long as you adjust the charge appropriately, but that doesn't mean they will work as well. As RandyP posted, following the load books is the safest and smartest option.

357reloading
October 8, 2010, 11:25 AM
I have used regular primers in mag 357 loads with no problems. just kiling paper or phone books

gilly6993
October 8, 2010, 11:46 AM
I use standard primers for my 357 and 38 special loads.....

Clark
October 8, 2010, 11:56 AM
When I was loading 9mm to the threshold of pressure problems, I would sometimes get a pierced primer and want to switch to a small pistol magnum primer with thicker cup material.

The change from small pistol primers to magnum small pistol was like a change in powder charge of 0.7 gr for pressure, but with less effect on change in velocity.

Some handguns have a wimpy firing pin strike, and cannot set off the magnum small pistol primers. Sometimes I can take the revolver or pistol a part, tweak the spring a little and get the magnum primers firing.

357reloading
October 8, 2010, 01:20 PM
Some handguns have a wimpy firing pin strike, and cannot set off the magnum small pistol primers.

did not think about thickness of primer. thanks that could explain why i had such a fit with some 380 auto i loaded for my kel tec. put in stronger spring fixed the problem.

If you enjoyed reading about "mag primers in 38 special or smaller caliber." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!