New Pony in the stable

PDA

Lucky Derby
October 8, 2010, 11:26 AM
So I go into the LGS yesterday morning and what do I see in the counter but a 4" Colt Trooper .357. Nice blueing with a bit of holster wear but it locks up tight, and the action is oh so smooth. It even has the Factory Target stocks.:eek: I fondle it a bit. I think to myself "You have a 4" Trooper at home already. But this one has less holster wear and Target stocks. The other one has Service Stocks" :rolleyes:. I had the clerk put it back. A female customer was in the store and as she was purchasing a 70's era 8" Python that was also in the counter, she said these very true words "You just can't find these nice old Colts anymore." That was all it took. I started the paperwork. The Trooper is now on it's state mandated 10 day quarintine.:cuss:

Serial number puts it as a 1967 gun. My other one is a 1969 gun. One of the last 80 produced before the switch to the MKIII.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Pony in the stable" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dovedescending
October 8, 2010, 11:40 AM
Sooo jealous. Sounds like quite the gun. :D When it gets out of solitary confinement, post some pics of the two side-by-side.

psp7304
October 9, 2010, 09:43 AM
Nice find. Post some pics when you get it home.

Lucky Derby
October 9, 2010, 10:43 AM
Yes, I will post some pics when I get it home.

Paul7
October 9, 2010, 06:20 PM
Those are great guns at an affordable price. I just got one for $350, it's a 6" barrel with both original skinny wood grips and the thicker rubber ones, 1965. I prefer them to the MK IIIs, which if I'm not mistaken were more of a mass-produced gun and have less hand fitting. I know I handled a Mk III recently that had a terrible trigger.

murdoc rose
October 9, 2010, 06:23 PM
gratz on the find

Lucky Derby
October 9, 2010, 06:49 PM
paul7 congrats on your Trooper. They are fantastic, aren't they. The MKIII and MKV Troopers are completely different guns. Much less hand fitting.

Lucky Derby
October 9, 2010, 06:54 PM
Here is a couple pics of my other one to tide you guys over.
It is pictured with my Ruger .44 Carbines.

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo277/sabrerider700/100_0137.jpg

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo277/sabrerider700/100_0136.jpg

Paul7
October 9, 2010, 09:40 PM
The guy I got my '65 Trooper said the trigger on it was just as good as his Pythons.

22-rimfire
October 9, 2010, 09:56 PM
Good find! They just don't make them like that any more. I have a couple of the Troopers in 22.

joshk-k
October 9, 2010, 11:37 PM
I've got a 1968 with a 6" barrel, and I love it! It's the last gun I would part with. I'm the third owner, it's got a bit of holster wear, and it accurate as all get out.

JOsh

Lucky Derby
October 9, 2010, 11:55 PM
Paul, I believe it. I had a 4" Python and shot it side by side with the Trooper pictured above. Unbelievable how similar the two were. After doing that I just couldn't justify keeping the Python knowing what I could sell it for. I had paid $1000 for the Python and sold it for $1400.

Paul7
October 10, 2010, 09:50 PM
I see what you're saying, Lucky. I could afford a Python but can't justify it when very similar Troopers are cheaply available, that I don't have to treat with kid gloves. If I want to look at a Python I can do that online, I don't believe in safe queens.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Pony in the stable" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!