Do you tell your friends they overpaid?

PDA

murdoc rose
October 8, 2010, 06:46 PM
So generally I'm fairly involved with my friends gun purchases. I also then to be straight forward in what I hope to be a informational way. I've been told it doesn't always come out like that. The reason I ask is a friend of mine on a whim overpaid a bit for a handgun. Not enough to worry about but still more than retail. He and a few others (noobys and thier wifes) are coming over for a little bit of range practice tomorrow and I was thinking about not bringing it up unless asked. IT got me to wondering how everyone else handles this? I do plan on reminding them to shoot me a call/text before but I also know how easy it is to buy something without thinking it over.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you tell your friends they overpaid?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ChCx2744
October 8, 2010, 06:52 PM
I guess people usually sell for what they paid

TNT in Round Rock
October 8, 2010, 06:58 PM
let him enjoy his new gun - that might put a damper on his day. If it's not a ton of money it's not that big deal.

now if you REALLY want to inform him .. the next time you're out and about with him, and maybe hit a gun shop, or Academy, etc .. if you see it then ask how much he paid and then shrug it off. Might at least get him in the mindset of checking more prices.

Maybe he just really wanted it that day and sometimes that's worth the extra money..

good luck regardless

Sky
October 8, 2010, 07:08 PM
I am all for helping a friend before a purchase if I know something about the product they want. After they purchase "whatever" I do not feel it is my place to give them buyers remorse. They will see or find out sooner or later that they did not make a wise purchase and do not need me to tell them they got screwed. Just a thought....

Mags
October 8, 2010, 07:13 PM
The polite thing to do is to simply say nice gun and leave it at that. Now before the purchase by all means let him know the gun is priced too much.

Flash!
October 8, 2010, 07:14 PM
look at it from the buyers perspective..... I shop around and always try to get the best price possible...... but sometimes I pay more than I should because its there RIGHT NOW.... I call it paying for the convenience factor...... I would spend more time and money shopping for a better price..... and I usually know when I overpay... I don't need someone to remind me when I overpay...

jimmyraythomason
October 8, 2010, 07:17 PM
I was thinking about not bringing it up unless asked. That is the way to go right there. If it is after the fact you will only make him regret his purchase ans he won't enjoy it as much as he would otherwise. Right now it is worth(to him) what he paid for it. Don't screw it up for him.

twofifty
October 8, 2010, 07:21 PM
^^ agreed.

Before the friend makes a purchase, I would mention having seen the same gun for $$ at store YY.

After the friend makes a puchase -regardless if the friend came to me beforehand- I keep my mouth shut other than appreciating the new gun's qualities. Why pizz on the guy's parade?

RBH44
October 8, 2010, 07:22 PM
+1... I couldn't have said it better than Flash did. My thoughts exactly ! except for one thing. I was taught to wheel & deal by the best(my father) so most of my friends come to me first before they purchase. (most of the time anyway)

9mmepiphany
October 8, 2010, 07:32 PM
It doesn't make a difference if he overpaid for it. If he is happy with it, it was worth it to him.

It is like when someone comes on the forum and says he got a used gun and paid XXX for it and want to know if he got a good price. The polite answer would be, "If you're happy with it, what difference will it make what anyone else thinks."

Now if your relationship with him allows a certain amount of rudeness or putting each other down...have at it. It's your relationship, because what you're doing, at best, is calling him a fool

PT1911
October 8, 2010, 07:35 PM
If they were ripped off once, and you supported them in it...even after the fact, that is encouraging them to go to the same place again and do the same thing again. There are polite ways of letting them know they didnt get the best deal...you dont have to say they got ripped...

"Nice gun, I wish I had one, ( remember when I had one) but next time, if you let me know before you buy, I may be able to get you a better deal...now lets go put her through her paces."

Tim the student
October 8, 2010, 07:37 PM
The polite thing to do is to simply say nice gun and leave it at that. Now before the purchase by all means let him know the gun is priced too much.

I think Mags (congrats on being the "real" Mags again, BTW) nailed it pretty well.

The only thing I can add is that I would be honest with them if they asked. If they didn't ask, I'll just smile, and be excited they got a new gun.

Curator
October 8, 2010, 07:38 PM
Neither I nor any of my friends have ever over-paid for a firearm. We have, however, occasionally bought too soon. I would never discourage a friend over a purchase they made willingly by telling them they paid too much.

labhound
October 8, 2010, 07:40 PM
I wouldn't say a word about the cost. His money spent, his gun. If he overspent, he'll probably find out on his own one day. Give him a compliment on his choice and let him enjoy his new gun.

murdoc rose
October 8, 2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks guys, as usual you hit it on the dot. If hes happy with it then great. Hope tomorrow goes great and they get some good range time in.

Walkalong
October 8, 2010, 07:46 PM
Only if they ask, and then I am gentle with them. I have overpaid for something I wanted, and don't want to hear about it. ;)

I wouldn't say a word about the cost. His money spent, his gun. If he overspent, he'll probably find out on his own one day. Give him a compliment on his choice and let him enjoy his new gun.
Exactly

oneounceload
October 8, 2010, 07:57 PM
NO ONE got "ripped off" if they WILLINGLY paid what they believed it was WORTH to THEM. Just because it may not have been worth that to you, does not mean they got ripped off. What ANYTHING is worth depends strictly on what someone is willing to pay. There is NO such thing as gouging when it comes to gun prices - the market sets the price.

S&W-Keeper
October 8, 2010, 08:08 PM
If you buy enough, you will occasionally overpay, I have. Let him enjoy it.

hardworker
October 8, 2010, 08:12 PM
My buddy paid 189 for a stevens model 67e jamgun. I didn't call him an idiot I just told him he paid plenty for what apparently was not one of their finer products.

TraditionalCatholic
October 8, 2010, 08:14 PM
Once a friend purchases a gun, I feel happy for him. Usually I don't ask what he paid for it, I just compliment him on his purchase. I hate it when people take all the fun out of a new purchase by belittling you for doing so, and I won't do that same thing to anyone. However, if a friend wants to buy a gun that is priced too high, I'll absolutely let him know BEFORE he buys it.

Coolbreeze8804
October 8, 2010, 08:14 PM
Oh I do. With gusto! as do my friends to me. It is a point of competition to see who has made the best recent deal, and to have bragging rights to the biggest snafu in bungled purchases.

The point is, we are all friends, and whatever we do is supported and shared. We enjoy each others victories and share each others heartbreaks. It should never be done in meanness or ill will. If your friends are delicate, treat them as such, but only between toughening them up, and bringing them closer...

just my O2.

wep45
October 8, 2010, 08:18 PM
doesnt matter if he asks or not. just tell him its a nice gun and let it go at that.

its after the fact....what good would it do now to tell the truth? nobody wants to hear that they didnt get a good deal.

mstrat
October 8, 2010, 08:19 PM
I knowingly overpay pretty much *every* time i buy a firearm.

Living a fascist state with unconstitutional laws drives prices up. So sure - i could save a bit by buying online, but then I'm stuck with a crazy-high FFL transfer fee. Either way I'm not going to pay what the fine folks in TX or AZ pay. It's just something I accept and don't get worried about (the money, i mean. the principle of the situation drives me crazy though)

Sometimes i even pay more than what they go for in this region if it's an "oh my gosh I HAVE TO have this now!" situation, and no other shops have it in stock.

Being happy with your purchase in the end is all that matters. :)

HGUNHNTR
October 8, 2010, 08:30 PM
If they are happy with the price they paid (no matter how much) then they didn't over pay.

Don't rain on the dudes parade because you scrounged up some deal somewhere else. He found the gun he wanted, was satisfied with the asking price, and happily paid. Let him enjoy it.

Russ Jackson
October 8, 2010, 08:38 PM
Why would someone tell somebody they paid to much for a gun? A friend would never do that. What would either party get out of it?...Russ

Rusty Shackleford
October 8, 2010, 09:01 PM
I paid about 330 for my kel tec when it was new. At the time, the pf9 was being sold for right around 280. But I couldn't find a single one in my area. For weeks, I called around. When I finally did find one, I bought it. I knew I was overpaying and I was okay with that.

Later, one of my friends gave me hell about it. I never quite did get over how he made me feel over it. Not to mention he didn't agree with me buying that pistol in the first place and was very opinionated about it.

To this day, I sort of avoid him over that. Don't mention it after the buy at all. And I'd only make a big deal out of it beforehand if it is a serious ripoff. Like a 30% markup.

MinnMooney
October 8, 2010, 09:27 PM
I used to tell people............. until I got the cold shoulder a couple of times that's when I learned that you N-E-V-E-R tell someone that they overpaid for anything. PERIOD!

russ69
October 8, 2010, 09:39 PM
I shop at my local gunshop. They are 50 or 60 bucks higher than the discount stores downtown. Did I overpay? Maybe but I didn't have to drive downtown. Twice. And they usually give me at least 4 free range coupons. So for me it's a better deal to pay 50 bucks more and save on gas, time and get a few free range trips.
The value of the total deal is about the same or better.

oneounceload
October 8, 2010, 09:55 PM
I used to tell people............. until I got the cold shoulder a couple of times that's when I learned that you N-E-V-E-R tell someone that they overpaid for anything. PERIOD!

If they WILLINGLY paid the asking price, then they DID NOT OVERPAY..no matter what YOU think or could buy it for................

Iam2taz
October 8, 2010, 10:07 PM
I have bought a ton of stuff from my local dealer. Did I pay more than I would have paid on-line or a dozen other far off and distant places? Sure. But, I can always go back to him if I have a problem with what he sold me. He is worth the extra $50. At some point on some item, he will be too high... more than I think he is worth.... Then and only then, if I buy it, would I have paid too much.
Don't say a word to your friend, if you value your friendship. You might say, "Hey, the next time you go gun shoppin, I'd like to go along!" Then you can help him out. Besides there aren't too many more fun things to do than hang out with a friend looking at guns and STUFF.

Sport45
October 8, 2010, 10:10 PM
He and a few others (noobys and thier wifes) are coming over for a little bit of range practice tomorrow and I was thinking about not bringing it up unless asked.

I can't imagine why you would feel the need to bring something like that up. Would you want him telling everyone that you paid too much for your last computer or car?

Just tell him he can check with you next time he wants to buy a gun. That you may be able to help him find good deals.

Maia007
October 8, 2010, 10:20 PM
What someone pays is his business.

We all "overpay" for lots of things every day. Do we buy the cheapest gas in town? Why not? But we might buy the cheapest gas that is close. The same is true for anything else.

I often and intentionally overpay for guns for a variety of reasons. One. I have more money than time. Two. I usually buy used classics and when I see what I want, which is rarely, I don't care to obsess over a few bucks if I can end up getting what I want. Three. I have spent a lifetime doing without in order to be prosperous and financially secure later in life. Now I want to indulge myself in the benefits.

This is not to say I don't try to negotiate the best deal I can, but what I pay for a gun is secondary to getting it, having it and enjoying it.

springmom
October 8, 2010, 10:35 PM
Overpayment is in the eye of the beholder. I'd leave it be. If the new owner is happy, that's what matters.

Jan

Archie
October 8, 2010, 10:42 PM
Not unless I'm asked, and then I make every attempt to be tactful and discrete.

I always tell friends who have recently purchased most ANYTHING to quit looking fpr the same thing they just bought. In my experience, whenever I buy stuff, if I comparison shop after the fact, I find I could have got it for less. Water under the bridge.

Waywatcher
October 8, 2010, 10:47 PM
Definitely not, let it go.

At the end of the day if they're happy with their transaction that's all that really matters.

Russ Jackson
October 9, 2010, 07:23 AM
I also woud never mind paying a premium or higher than online from a great local shop. Service comes at a cost. A local guy will more than make up for the difference in the long run. Lets say you can get a gun online and shipped for $500 total and your local shop has it for $550. I say but it from the local shop. Is the online guy going to give you a loaner if it needs to go back to the manufacturer? Online guy going to let you try out guns prior to purchase.....I could go on and on. What you think is too high might not be. Price is not everything..Russ

hso
October 9, 2010, 08:36 AM
I'd offer to help wherever possible, but I wouldn't instruct them to check with me first as if they were incompetent. If people want advice they should ask for it after you've made it clear that you're happy to help with any questions they have.

That said, I've had buddies ask about the price paid for gun or knife and I always give them the facts without providing an unfounded opinion. That may mean that they paid too much at the time for something or that they paid what the going rate was that day/week instead of what the price was X weeks back or Y weeks anticipated in the future. Don't rain on their picnic if you're not required to.

SaxonPig
October 9, 2010, 09:10 AM
I am honest with my friends in all matters as they are with me. If I think my friend paid too much I would say so. His response would be "I wanted it" and that would be the end of the discussion.

CajunBass
October 9, 2010, 10:13 AM
Once they've spent the money it's too late to worry about it. Let them enjoy their gun.

22-rimfire
October 9, 2010, 10:38 AM
In general, I see little point in pouring cold water onto an otherwise warm situation. Almost everyone who has bought and sold guns has paid too much or sold for too little. That is the business.

The other side of the coin is someone who starts a thread here and said "what's the going price" for a Smith Model xx? If you wait for people to tell you how great a deal it is, you probably missed the buy if that is important to you. So, frequently they have already bought the gun and are only looking for validation. That is okay, but you need to frame the question differently. The fact is it doesn't matter what they paid as long as they are happy with the purchase.

kmcintosh78
October 9, 2010, 11:07 AM
If you are a good friend and honest, then yes.

benEzra
October 9, 2010, 11:10 AM
No, no, no.

If I saw a friend was ABOUT to buy a gun at shop A and I knew he could get a far better deal at shop B, I might mention that, unless I knew that shop A offered better service or there were other reasons to patronize them instead of B.

But once he's bought the gun, the only reasons to tell him would be (1) make him feel bad about his new gun, (2) make him feel bad about himself, or (3) make yourself look smarter than he is. Those are not things a real friend would do to somebody, IMO.

murdoc rose
October 9, 2010, 10:09 PM
well turns out the gun fits him well so no harm done and it was new, however someone else decided to rain on the parade

duns
October 9, 2010, 10:52 PM
Now that he's already bought it, i wouldn't make a big deal out of it if I mentioned it at all. There's the price and there's the service. If a store that charged a higher price, got it to him slickly with no hassles, and good after purchase support, that's good service and might be worth paying a bit extra for. Or maybe he wanted to support a local business or an FFL he had a good relationship with.

I might say "You know, X is a popular store but they are a bit pricey. Did you consider buying from Y?"

FIVETWOSEVEN
October 9, 2010, 11:00 PM
My brother paid $800 for his Marine Magnum 870 when Dick's has it for $500

oldfool
October 9, 2010, 11:58 PM
if he/she was spending YOUR money, yes
if he/she spent their own money, no, not ever

unless of course you value your high opinion of yourself far more than you value friendship
(in which case you have no friends, hence need not worry about it, so feel free to give them the benefit of your wisdom on politics, religion, and child rearing as well)

offer an opinion only if asked before, but not AFTER
suggested response AFTER, "wow, that's a nice gun, you done good, how does it shoot ?"

PS
if/when your wife asks "Does this outfit make my **** look fat ?"
the appropriate response is "no"
(just in case you were wondering about that)

Mike J
October 10, 2010, 03:35 AM
A couple of years ago my neighbor came over to show me the Glock 23 he had just bought. While we were discussing it I mentioned that I had been looking at Glock before I decided to buy my XD. He asked me what they were going for. I told him around $500. He told me that he had paid $680 for his. About all I could say was "ouch". I would have never told him he overpaid if he had not asked. The way I was raised that would be considered rude.

possum
October 10, 2010, 05:36 AM
if they have already bought the gun then i don't say anything, but if they are thinking about buying, i will tell them what a good price is for it before they put the cash down. If they still buy it after that is up to them.

22-rimfire
October 10, 2010, 09:07 AM
The proper answer relates to your relationship with the "friend". You shouldn't just try to make yourself seem superior or hurt their feelings just because you can, but if it is a good friend, eventually you will say something about the price which I think is okay. They already know you're a turd anyway. :)

mcdonl
October 10, 2010, 09:41 AM
I wouldn't.

Besides, I see entire brands of firearms that are overpriced so many people pay more than they should for a gun no matter what price they were able to get it for. People spends thousands of dollars for pistols... do you really think someone who got a pistol for $1800 is really getting a better deal than someone who spent $1950 for the same gun? Both overpaid.

welldoya
October 10, 2010, 10:19 AM
I will tell friends in a nice way like "Next time maybe you should check Academy's prices. They usually have pretty good prices on Glocks."
To not tell them is just encouraging them to go back to the same place and get ripped off again on future purchases.
I talked to somebody just yesterday who got ripped at a gunshow from a local dealer. Paid $340 for an LCP. I told them they should check a couple of other places before their next purchase.

possum
October 10, 2010, 12:13 PM
it is the same as telling someone they overpaid for a house, a car, a women :) etc. To me it is atleast. i don't do it.

Ole Coot
October 10, 2010, 10:59 PM
If they have already bought it I won't rain on their parade, won't spoil it for them. If they haven't bought I will say a little high or maybe if extra low tell them to check extra good and find out why if it's a private sale that he wants to get rid of it quick. Lots of stolen guns at give away prices to support a drug habit.

murdoc rose
October 11, 2010, 01:23 PM
ole coot you bring up a good point about sometimes things are just too cheap. While usually for what I buy at least its just lack of knowledge but cant say that's not often in the back of my mind.

hemiram
October 11, 2010, 07:16 PM
My friends who are into guns know exactly what most guns are worth, and I'm usually asking them, "What do you think, $$$ for _______________?". Most of the time, they usually agree with me, I haven't had a "you got screwed" for about 10 years, and that time he thought I was talking about another gun, when he saw the gun I really bought, he agreed it was a good deal..

millertyme
October 11, 2010, 08:56 PM
I told a buddy of mine that he did. He bought a factory refurbished Glock 22 that came with 3 mags for about $600. I just kind of blurted it out. He though he was getting a good deal since it had all new components installed on it. Then I showed him the price of a new one. I'min the same boat as him. I've overpaid for things I really wanted. I probably paid $2,000 for my SUV because my wife fell in love with it and let the salesman know it. If you can justify it, good for you. If you overpaid because you were sold, good for the other guy, I guess.

Sheepdog1968
October 11, 2010, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't tell a friend he overpaid. If he's happy with the price then that's all that matters. In rather short time, we all spend much more on ammo than the cost of the firearm itself. The cost of the firearm is often the least expensive part of shooting.

rondog
October 11, 2010, 09:52 PM
You paid HOW MUCH?!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/funnies/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

No wonder I don't have any friends......

WardenWolf
October 11, 2010, 09:58 PM
I generally tell them I could have probably found it a bit cheaper, and to ask me before their next purchase to see what I can dig up. Just as a "for future reference" type of deal. That way they know you're on their side and will help them in the future.

Bubbles
October 14, 2010, 03:35 PM
Hijack - suppose you purchase a gun from out of state and have it transferred through your local dealer. If that dealer could have given you a better OTD price on it, even if it's not something they normally stock, would you want to know?

I'm asking because a couple of the transfers that have come through recently made me go :what: at the price on the invoice.

CapnMac
October 14, 2010, 04:04 PM
Well, this all depends on too many variables.

Far too many people have always thought I've over-spent on firearms purchases--at that time. Some of those people are reasonable, others, less so. Which can get odd if the "accuser" has spent on a scope what I put into a MilSurp, and then wants to know how much he can get for the previous glass, which was nearly the same price as the current one.

There are those people (spouses/relatives of friends) who hold all manner of out-dated views on prices--like S&W revolvers are only $50-75 new-in-the-box, or that Leopold [sic] scopes are only $100. With those sorts of obtuse worldviews, you simply have let such roll off.

Which brings to mind a quote from a second-cousin of mine who owns a car dealership. People get very much worked up on the "deal" then wrangle on their cars. It is best to just nod and agree with most of them. After all, "[People] who buy 12 cars in a life are always convinced that they can "out-deal" [a guy] who sells 12 a month."

TexasGunbie
October 14, 2010, 04:11 PM
I don't know your friend's personality so it's hard to gauge what to say to him. If he's a fellow that welcomes all opinions, then there's no harm telling him that he overpaid a little. There are some people that don't like others commenting on their purchase, they would feel like you're the party pooper. Unless he's a real close friend that can take a jab or two, don't say a word.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you tell your friends they overpaid?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!