More trouble in the Great White North


Mark Tyson
December 15, 2003, 09:33 PM
12/12/2003 - Massive Raid Nets Toronto Gang Members, Guns, Drugs

The Associated Press

TORONTO (CP) -- Pipe bombs, handguns, sawed-off shotguns and a sawed-off rifle were all part of the loot confiscated in a five-month crackdown on gangs and drugs, police said Friday.

Simultaneous raids on seven homes in east-end Toronto and two in nearby Markham, Ont., began early Thursday morning and ended with the arrest of 14 people -- all allegedly affiliated with a gang called 18 Buddha.

"It's a grand day in the crime-fighting business," said Supt. Bill Blair.

Police seized drugs, counterfeit money and stolen goods in an operation they dubbed Project Monk.

Detectives hope ballistics tests will show one of the handguns seized was used in the Nov. 1 murder of Derek Wah Yan, 40.

Yan was hit in the chest by a bullet while he was watching television in his home with his seven-year-old son.

Police said they believe the gang is involved in extortion, robberies, home invasions, drug and gun trafficking, shootings, fraud and break-ins.

Undercover operatives had infiltrated the gang, which at one point had a membership of more than 100 and runs its own Web site.

Those arrested face more than 100 drug, weapons and other charges. (Toronto Sun)


12/14/2003 - Man Surrounded by Police Found Dead After Guns Fired at Neighbors

The Edmonton (Canada) Journal via Associated Press

EDMONTON, Canada -- A man who was surrounded by Edmonton police snipers in a townhouse after he fired guns at two of his neighbours' homes was found dead Saturday evening.

The gunman was found dead on a couch in his own living room, apparently of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Two people in their living rooms were injured when bullets punctured their homes.

Paramedics operations superintendent Wes Bogdane said a man in his 50s underwent surgery at Royal Alexandra Hospital for a minor chest wound, apparently caused by metal fragments.

A 60-year-old man scraped in the buttocks refused medical treatment.

Tactical squad members entered the suite about 7:30 p.m., after it had been inspected an automated bomb-squad robot.

The residents of the townhouse complex are mostly seniors.

Police slowly evacuated residents to a nearby church as they negotiated by telephone with the shooter, believed to be a man in his 50s.

Police spokesman Wes Bellmore said the shooter didn't make any demands, and police did not know what sparked the shooting.

By 4 p.m., as many as 15 shots had been fired. Police used flash-bangs and tear gas to try to lure him out.

Five people, including three young children, were treated after they were exposed to the tear gas.

By Saturday evening, police did not know how much longer the standoff would be. It did not appear that the shooter had any hostages.

If you enjoyed reading about "More trouble in the Great White North" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
December 15, 2003, 10:51 PM
...allegedly affiliated with a gang called 18 Buddha.

I wouldn't even consider joining a gang that had such a stupid name.

If you enjoyed reading about "More trouble in the Great White North" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!