NRA Question Of The Month

PDA

Russ Jackson
October 9, 2010, 07:45 PM
I get my membership renewal in the mail today and the question of the month is:

Do you believe the Government should have the power to confiscate your firearms during an emergency such as a natural disaster?

...Russ

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr1/RussJackson/nraquestion.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA Question Of The Month" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
duns
October 9, 2010, 07:48 PM
Logic dictates that an emergency such as a natural disaster is when you are most likely to need your firearms.

Coolbreeze8804
October 9, 2010, 07:51 PM
My call is, NO!!! +1 on duns. In emergency situations, my guns will not be leaving their rightful place.

lions
October 9, 2010, 07:53 PM
Gun control doesn't prevent crime now and it certainly won't in an emergency.

PT1911
October 9, 2010, 07:55 PM
Logic dictates that people who ask these questions have no logic.

In their view, that is the time when people are most stressed and likely to make bad/dangerous decisions... of course they only look at one small part of that... being people will be quick to shoot... they completely discount that stronger people (predators) will take what they can from weaker people if given the chance in a crisis...

I think we will all agree that it is always better to be shot with an "illegal" gun by someone who didnt turn theirs in or bludgeoned to death by a club, bat, or crowbar rather than defend ourselves against those who would do us harm in an attempt to take our resources or JFTHOI since there will be no consequences for them.

killchain
October 9, 2010, 08:15 PM
The Government should not touch ANY of my property unless they commandeer it, and issue me compensation for it.

And they can only commandeer it IF I SAY THEY CAN.

If we're being invaded and we need guns now, I'd drive to the front lines and start handing my rifles to my countrymen. And get in the fox hole.

sig228
October 9, 2010, 08:33 PM
Gimme a break. This is one of those stupid questions that only the trolls will answer "yes"

Big Bill
October 9, 2010, 08:46 PM
HELL NO!!! What kind of question is that?

DoubleTapDrew
October 9, 2010, 09:17 PM
Haha! What kind of response do they think they'll get?
The government should not confiscate firearms ever, under any circumstance. It doesn't matter if dirty bombs are going off in every major city or if Survivor was preempted by a bowflex commercial. Disarm your employers (We the People) and you'll go down in the history books as the guy or gal that started the second American Revolution and was killed for treason.

Sam1911
October 9, 2010, 09:22 PM
Somebody needs to look up the definition of a "push poll."

Russ Jackson
October 9, 2010, 09:34 PM
Here is a picture of the question...Russ

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr1/RussJackson/nraquestion.jpg

duns
October 9, 2010, 09:35 PM
Somebody needs to look up the definition of a "push poll."A push poll is a political campaign technique in which an individual or organization attempts to influence or alter the view of respondents under the guise of conducting a poll. [Wikipedia]

Is this a push poll or an attempt to show how unpopular this idea is? I would have thought the latter.

Sam1911
October 9, 2010, 09:43 PM
Duns, I'd say this loosely fits into the description of a push poll because not only is it rhetorical for 99% of respondents, it's only purpose is to produce a certain result -- i.e.: getting the faithful fired up over an issue the organization already knows (even dictates...) their opinion about.

It is a slightly updated version of the politicians of previous eras standing on a stump in the town square shouting, "What say ye, lads, will we let them take out guns away!?! I say NO! Who's with me?!?" And so forth.

No one at NRA HQ actually READS the results of these polls at the bottom of the renewal forms. Few if any of the issues polled upon are in any way under debate among the NRA's membership.

Russ Jackson
October 9, 2010, 10:24 PM
i wonder who and why the one yes was?...Russ

duns
October 9, 2010, 10:51 PM
Duns, I'd say this loosely fits into the description of a push poll because not only is it rhetorical for 99% of respondents, it's only purpose is to produce a certain result -- i.e.: getting the faithful fired up over an issue the organization already knows (even dictates...) their opinion about.

It is a slightly updated version of the politicians of previous eras standing on a stump in the town square shouting, "What say ye, lads, will we let them take out guns away!?! I say NO! Who's with me?!?" And so forth.
Few if any of the issues polled upon are in any way under debate among the NRA's membership.Sam, you always make great points. I agree the issue is not under serious debate in the NRA and the question is rhetorical for 99.9% of people on this forum and in the NRA membership. But all the more reason why it is not an attempt to alter people's minds -- therefore not strictly a push poll.

duns
October 9, 2010, 10:54 PM
i wonder who and why the one yes was?...RussThere's always one isn't there? :rolleyes: Probably someone who thinks "no" but can't resist winding everyone else up!

Sam1911
October 10, 2010, 12:12 AM
therefore not strictly a push poll.

Ah ha. Perhaps a good point! At the moment, I can't think of the name of the exact rhetorical device, then. Hmmm...

duns
October 10, 2010, 12:20 AM
Ah ha. Perhaps a good point! At the moment, I can't think of the name of the exact rhetorical device, then. Hmmm...Anyway "push poll" is just a label and labels are unimportant. But it sure was a rhetorical question for anyone likely to be exposed to the "poll".

labhound
October 10, 2010, 12:39 AM
Modify the poll.

[ ] YES
[ ] NO
[X] What firearms? I ain't got no stinking firearms!!

stevek
October 10, 2010, 12:47 AM
So will the one THR member with the yes vote come forward and share their thoughts? :scrutiny::confused::eek:

FROGO207
October 10, 2010, 10:04 PM
Might be that an anti signed up just to be able to vote and make us waste time and bandwidth trying to figure it out.:D

Erik M
October 10, 2010, 10:19 PM
Probably an accident. No one is taking my goods, ever.

Onward Allusion
October 10, 2010, 11:49 PM
I would like to know as well.

stevek (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=27662)
So will the one THR member with the yes vote come forward and share their thoughts? :scrutiny::confused::eek:

JTHunter
October 11, 2010, 01:48 AM
Many of you have probably seen the NRA video of that burly NOLA cop body-slamming that ederly woman during the Katrina fiasco and now one of the Carolinas (North, I think) is trying the same tactic. Their governor wants it run through the state legislature that confiscation during a natural disaster is THE LAW! :what: :fire:
Makes you wonder if they will ever learn. :cuss: :banghead:

JoeMal
October 11, 2010, 09:23 AM
Hell no

The government needs to focus time ON THE DISASTER, not my guns

SaxonPig
October 11, 2010, 09:36 AM
The gov't NEVER has the right to confiscate firearms.

Any gov't that tries should immediately be overthrown.

cambeul41
October 11, 2010, 11:01 AM
for a natural disaster?

Say what?

(Sorry, my inner grammar Nazi made me do it)

Russ Jackson
October 11, 2010, 08:27 PM
I would like to hear responses fron the two who voted yes. Now show youselves cowards...Russ

sprice
October 11, 2010, 08:46 PM
LOL who are the two people who voted yes?!

Kerberos
October 11, 2010, 08:49 PM
I agree with the members who say this is a "push poll". However, notice that this was on a "membership renewal" form. My thought is that whenever someone is considering whether or not they are going to renew, they will ask themselves whether or not it is worth it. Given the location of the "push poll", the NRA hopes the member will see this, and naturally get fired up over the thought of their weapons being taken away. So the members otherwise uncertainty about renewing, will be over-ridden by their desire to protect their 2A rights.

The only thing this poll does, is encourage you to renew ;)

Sounds like a little manipulation on the part of the NRA :D

AKElroy
October 11, 2010, 08:55 PM
No, because then they would have two.

Bubba613
October 11, 2010, 11:49 PM
Yes absolutely! We care about hte safety of our public servants, police and fire, right? Can't have all those guns floating around unsupervised, right?

(I mean someone has to present an opposing viewpoint).

Owen Sparks
October 12, 2010, 02:20 AM
This is an old marketing trick to get you to riled up. The more likely you are to respond to a "servey" the more likely you are to donate. The more controversial and outrageous the question, the better. The NRA KNOWS exactly how gun owners will react to this question. They ask it to provoke you into action.

357sigRog
October 12, 2010, 04:47 AM
Absolutely NO! The 2 yes votes are probably just childish kids that need to grow up before they join a gun forum.

meef
October 14, 2010, 12:58 AM
Absolutely NO! The 2 yes votes are probably just childish kids that need to grow up before they join a gun forum. Or then again, they may just be people who think that this is one of the most ridiculous polls to have been posted in quite some time.

Why anybody would even bother to answer it sort of baffles me. Really, what's the point?

Hey... here's an idea for a poll...

Do you think that your local Mayor/Magistrate/Duke/Whatever should have first sexual rights with your new bride on your wedding night?

{ } YES { } NO

Makes as much sense to me.

:cool:

Sky
October 14, 2010, 01:10 AM
Gee I couldn't believe someone voted yes and then I wondered??? Did I misread the statement and push yes when I ment no??? Past my bed time I give up!

Rusty Shackleford
October 14, 2010, 05:12 PM
Okay, I'll admit it... I voted yes.

Why? This poll is completely ridiculous on it's face. You aren't going to find anyone to honestly vote yes to that question on a gun forum. Post that poll over at the Brady Center and you'll probably have more variety.

Please, be gentle.

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA Question Of The Month" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!