What the strangest gun you have ever owned/saw

PDA

rozziboy18
October 9, 2010, 11:00 PM
what the stragest gun you have ever owned/sold/saw in person no surfing allowed!

my top 3

the thunder 5!!! owned one shot 410/45-70/45lc

szecsei double bolt action rifle, held one at a gun show here in knoxville

the gyro jet craziest critter ive ever layed eyes on

If you enjoyed reading about "What the strangest gun you have ever owned/saw" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GeorgeF
October 9, 2010, 11:19 PM
Own a gyrojet pistol - weirdest firing mechanism you ever saw(aside from a pinfire). The hammer smacks the nose of the cartridge which makes the rear hit the firing pin. The rocket then ignites, and as it travels forward it recocks the hammer. Crazy.

9mmepiphany
October 9, 2010, 11:43 PM
The Daisy caseless .22...compressed air ignited the propellent

FIVETWOSEVEN
October 10, 2010, 12:03 AM
Shot one of those, it certainly is a oddball.

LHRGunslinger
October 10, 2010, 12:08 AM
HK G11 caseless assault rifle.

LeMat revolver with the shotgun in the center of the cylinder

And the Volcanic Pistol. The worlds first self contained caseless cartridge. The predecessor to the Henry lever action rifle. Oddly alot of the development for the cartridge and the weapon was done by Messers Smith & Wesson before they joined hands to start their now famous company.

Sam1911
October 10, 2010, 12:27 AM
Most noteworthy I actually saw fired? Probably an M134.

rozziboy18
October 10, 2010, 12:37 AM
The Daisy caseless .22...compressed air ignited the propellent

wow, never heard of that one

9mmepiphany
October 10, 2010, 01:04 AM
I think it was the Model VL-22.

There were two versions, one with a plastic stock and the other with wood...both were full sized stocks.

the ammo came in plastic tubes. the lubed bullet had it's heel encased in a formed cylinder of propellant. It loaded just like a single shot pellet rifle with the bullet "head spacing" on the shoulder of the bullet.

Carter
October 10, 2010, 01:06 AM
Sadly I haven't seen any strange firearms in person...unless you count the junk at gun shows.

That VL-22 sounds interesting though.

surjimmy
October 10, 2010, 02:09 AM
A friend of mine had a semi-auto revolver.

rozziboy18
October 10, 2010, 02:11 AM
i gota find one of these vl 22, talk about your conversation piece:D

Snowdog
October 10, 2010, 02:42 AM
So the Daisy VL22 ignited the propellant much the way a fire piston ignites charred cotton? Sounds interestingly crazy.

Dr.Rob
October 10, 2010, 09:17 AM
A guy asked me to appraise his Japanese Nambu pistols. Oddest ergonomics ever, but definite 'neat factor. Pre war examples area actually very well made and finished. The guy's jaw dropped when I showed him one could be fired by pressing on the exposed sear lever.

Strangest I ever fired was a Steyr GB, damn thing would just 'lock up' with certain ammo types until it cooled off.

Russ Jackson
October 10, 2010, 09:28 AM
A Cop 357 four barrel. Kind of like a modern pepper box. It was stainless and had a terrible trigger...Russ

bannockburn
October 10, 2010, 09:40 AM
Four handguns come to mind:

Webley-Fosbery self-cocking revolver.

Metaba auto-revolver.

Chiappa Rhino revolver.

Japanese Type 94 semi-auto pistol.

Lee Roder
October 10, 2010, 09:55 AM
I've only seen ones in museums but the harmonica guns always seemed rather odd. Guess that's why the revolver was invented.

bhp9mm
October 10, 2010, 11:05 AM
medusa model 47 multiple caliber revolver

SlamFire1
October 10, 2010, 11:18 AM
Frommer Stop 19 Pistol.

http://www.hungariae.com/FromStop.htm

This service pistol is in 32 ACP. I don’t know what to call the action. At first glimpse it appears to be a long recoil action, but there are locking lugs holding the breech and recoiling barrel together. The barrel travels at least a half an inch inside the frame.

http://www.sunblest.net/gun/manual/FromStopAssy.jpg

The Frommer is a single action pistol with only a grip safety. To decock you have to grip the wings on the hammer, pull the trigger, and lower the hammer. I will bet there were a lot of accidental discharges when shooters lost their grip on the hammer wings.

I got to examine one and the take down was not obvious , had too many parts, and it looked to be very expensive to make.

Was fun to shoot.

9mmepiphany
October 10, 2010, 03:16 PM
much the way a fire piston ignites charred cotton?
Yes.

You cocked the piston, just as you would with any other Daisy air rifle and loaded the round into the chamber. When you released the piston, it would force the air through an orifice, heating it enough to ignite the propellant column.

It's funny, because I've never thought of the VL-22 as all that unusal...I was much more impressed by S&W's caseless 9mm sub-machinegun which used electric ignition

Snowdog
October 10, 2010, 06:30 PM
S&W had a caseless SMG? Where the heck have I been?

Thanks for that info, I definitely learned something new there!

gbran
October 10, 2010, 07:09 PM
My son has the VL-22 along with some ammo. He and I have only fired it a few times.......... he's hoping it will be a collector piece.

9mmepiphany
October 10, 2010, 07:57 PM
I sold mine for more than I paid for it, because I got tired of moving it from place to place when I relocated. Plus I figured the wood stock delux models would be worth more than the plastic versions.

However, I did keep a couple of hundred rounds of ammo...I don't know where I have it, but it's in the garage somewhere

Sauer Grapes
October 10, 2010, 08:01 PM
If anyone gets the chance, go to the Winchester museum, you'll see a lot of really crazy guns.

ritepath
October 10, 2010, 08:48 PM
http://gunwebsites.net/gun/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/wpid-2010-06-01-17.12.43.jpg

#14 reply.....I'll have to go along with this one. My brother has one of these little guys.

Souris
October 11, 2010, 12:46 AM
Winchester 1911 Semi auto Shotgun.
To cock it you have to Work the action by moving the entire barrel to the rear and releasing it.

Just an odd and bad idea.

Pete D.
October 11, 2010, 01:26 AM
Not as strange as some of those above.
A Pardini M.75 Free Pistol:
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr287/PeteDoyle/Pardinileftside.jpg

Shimitup
October 11, 2010, 01:38 AM
Daisy caseless, I'm surprised they didn't use something a little catchier like "Daisy Diesel"

twofifty
October 11, 2010, 02:05 AM
How about the Czech DUO or Mars 6.35mm (.25ACP) pocket pistols....

To disassemble, you pull the slide back half an inch, then turn the barrel a quarter turn. Pretty nifty design.

9mmepiphany
October 11, 2010, 02:26 AM
That's the same way my Colt .25 auto disassembles...I think that's just how they did it back then

tooltech
October 11, 2010, 02:52 AM
I remember a 3 barrel revolver back in the '70's, or early '80's. It was a top break, with a .410 in the center, and alternating chambers for .22 and .357. The cylinder rotated around the .410 chamber. A selector on the side moved the firing pin, allowing the shooter to choose the caliber for the task at hand.

A quick google search didn't turn it up, but maybe someone here has seen it, and can say what it was.

Claude Clay
October 11, 2010, 01:38 PM
when the COP 357 derringer (LOL) was brand new to the market ( im remembering around 1979) i got me one. i always found the 5th round to be the most accurate; that one was after you missed 4 times ua round housed the gun into the BJ's jaw.

tradded it for a taste more than i paid and never looked back.

twofifty
October 11, 2010, 02:24 PM
9mmEpi: I'd never seen one until a friend handed me one made during WW2, challenging me to field strip it.

Anyhow, because of this thread, yesterday I looked up the Mars online and found out the original design came right from JMB. I guess that explains why your Colt auto .25 disassembles the same way.

ironhead7544
October 11, 2010, 02:28 PM
Double barreled pump 12ga shotgun.

Darkhorse
October 11, 2010, 02:58 PM
50 years ago, my brother and I were shown a 4-gauge double-barrel shotgun.

Maybe it's not that strange, but I've never seen - or heard of - another.

Erik M
October 11, 2010, 03:01 PM
an old Lorcin .25, thing was a pot metal slide biting machine. It was shaped like a water pistol, and had been painted glossy white.

HGUNHNTR
October 11, 2010, 07:03 PM
That would be the Swiss K31. Not because of the straight pull bolt, but because it cost less that $250, came with GP11 ammo (superb surplus) and shoots like a house a fire. It is very strange in this day and age to find a rifle of the quality of the K31, with readily available match quality ammo, for way less than the price of a cheap NIB name brand.

tunnug
October 11, 2010, 07:16 PM
I owned at one time a Spanish Destroyer (originally a 9mm bolt action) carbine that had been converted to a .45acp, used 1911 mags, made a bloop sound when fired.

Caliper_RWVA
October 11, 2010, 09:03 PM
Matchlock rifle at a gun show. Guess it's not that strange, but kinda neat.

Carter
October 11, 2010, 10:21 PM

I read a book series by a British author who has a character that uses a "double barrel pump shotgun". IDK if he is just uneducated about guns, the character has some specialty gun (book takes place in kind of an evil twilight zone), or if it was an actual gun. Nice to know such a thing exists.

Rail Driver
October 11, 2010, 10:27 PM
Like this?

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/photo/data/500/DB10.JPG

(Image courtesy of 1:6) (http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/sixth-scale-action-figure-news-reviews-discussion/84999-double-barreled-pump-shotgun-2nd-ver-finished-pics-p-2-a-2.html)

jbkebert
October 11, 2010, 10:32 PM
I do own one of the VL-22's and yes its a interesting peice. One rifle I really wanted to buy but talked myself out of was a German Schuetzen like pictured below. Guy wanted $500 for it which I was pretty sure was going to be a steal but I ended up buying a Colt double eagle 10mm instead. http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.worthpoint.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/schuetzen-rifle.jpg&sa=X&ei=-7mzTN2uAcWUnQfrtpjzBQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGDVt0aAPy_NsTrM7j_89PZ-JF8xQ

natman
October 12, 2010, 04:31 AM
Hard to beat the Greener Cattle Killer for weird:

http://www.nrvoutdoors.com/HUMANE%20KILLERS/BANG.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "What the strangest gun you have ever owned/saw" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!