Elk stag grips?

PDA

BCCL
October 10, 2010, 04:39 PM
For folks that have Elk grips on .357 or .44 magnum revolvers, do you find the Elk stag has any problems with the stronger recoil as far as cracking or anything?

If you enjoyed reading about "Elk stag grips?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
savit260
October 10, 2010, 05:12 PM
I had both Sanbar and Elk stag on .357's and never had any issues.

SaxonPig
October 10, 2010, 06:54 PM
Stag and ivory generally don't present problems. Some folks put a little baby oil on them every couple years to keep them from becoming brittle and cracking but I don't and have never had any trouble with mine.

Mother of pearl is another matter...

BCCL
October 10, 2010, 07:00 PM
Thanks, I'm planning on a New Vaquero with Elk soon, and while I have some knives with it for handles, I was curious if it would hold up with a lot of .357 recoil.

huntershooter
October 10, 2010, 09:24 PM
I wouldn't be concerned on the effects of recoil with stag grips.
I have some on a Ruger Bisley that I shoot +P loads (300+ grs. @ 1300 fps).
Lot of rounds downrange with no issues.

Iggy
October 10, 2010, 11:00 PM
Talk to this guy about Elk horn grips.. He makes some dandies.

http://www.grashornsgunworks.com/

BCCL
October 10, 2010, 11:35 PM
^He sure does Iggy, he is already bookmarked long ago, as the person I'll get them from!!!

S&Wfan
October 11, 2010, 01:36 AM
Elk antler is mighty strong. The bulls crash antlers really hard and it is very durable material indeed.

Here's a set of Grashorn Elk Stages I've had on my .45ACP custom, short-barreled revolver for a while now. They are a lot more durable than wood stocks and that's one reason I have them on this "fighting" revolver.

A friend's brother woke from his sleep years ago just as an attacker entered his room in the dark in his house. The home owner grabbed his S&W .357 revolver but not quite fast enough. For several minutes there was a frantic and extremely desperate fight by both men to get control of the .357.

During the bloody fight to the death, even the original S&W wood stocks were smashed off the revolver. In the end, the homeowner gained enough control of his revolver to kill the man who would have killed him. I can't imagine the horror of that situation.

I resolved then to make sure my home defense revolver had a short barrel that was much harder for an intruder to grasp well if I was ambushed, and its front sight is filed very sharp on its edges and would rip a huge gash in anyone's hand who tried to grab it.

The Elk Stags are up to the task if it has to be used as a club too, just as the homeowner have to do with his.

Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, here's the big N-frame .45 revolver . . .

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/415/415871/folders/305468/2448399IMG1159pw4x6300webII.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Elk stag grips?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!