Kimber---good or bad

PDA

BIGGBAY90
October 10, 2010, 06:11 PM
Hummm----is kimber pistol good or bad for they price---please only answer if you used one before---pros----cons

If you enjoyed reading about "Kimber---good or bad" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
IamTheSurvivalist
October 10, 2010, 06:18 PM
They make very fine (handguns and rifles). They are a little expensive but so is a caddilac as apossed to a cobalt. the disadvantage would be capacity as apposed to a paraordinace p14 and the springfield 13rd version of the 1911...Other than that they make pretty sweet pistols. Real smooth and reliable. Parts interchangeable with 1911 parts

esheato
October 10, 2010, 06:18 PM
This has been beaten to death...

IME, and I've owned a couple, they're good for the 700-1100 dollar range.

As soon as you start reaching towards $1500, there are a ton of truly custom outfits out there that will do ya better.

Ed

Edit: I have a Pro CDP (alloy frame) that I used to shoot for IDPA. I put 30k through it in two years and I can't even remember one time that it choked that wasn't ammo related.

Chopdoktor
October 10, 2010, 06:19 PM
I had a used Kimber Custom II and it ran like a champ. Some people like to bash them because they aren't bargain-basement guns, and they think the owners are pretentious snobs. I put about a thousand rounds down the barrel with zero malfunctions, and to my knowledge, it only had about 300 through it before that. All in all, I'd say it was a great gun for the used price. Superbly accurate, and 100% reliable. I ended up selling it for $700 bucks, and now my buddy who bought it loves it, too. I wish I could've kept it, but I had no need for two fullsize .45's, and my HK USP Tactical .45 does everything the Kimber did and more. Get one used and give it a go. If you don't like it, you'll have NO problem selling.

shiftyer1
October 10, 2010, 06:20 PM
the answer is yes

Russ Jackson
October 10, 2010, 06:31 PM
I have had a Kimber Custom II for about a year. After over 2500 rds of all types of ammo I love the gun. I paid $679 at vanceoutdoors which I thought was a good price for a good looking American Made 1911. ...Russ

Bubba613
October 10, 2010, 06:40 PM
Look better, feel better shoot better out of the box than any other gun.
Durability stinks. Quality of the parts abysmal.

BIGGBAY90
October 10, 2010, 07:01 PM
I guess the stainless would last

Ala Dan
October 10, 2010, 07:16 PM
I own a Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II in .45 ACP. I find it to be attractive
as a daily carry piece; as its run like a champ with all kind's of ammo; even
with my very own handloads. I would recommend Kimber products to those
folk's looking for a nice [but somewhat expensive] factory 1911; without
spending a ton of $$$ on semi-custom/custom pistols~! :cool: :D

EddieNFL
October 10, 2010, 07:55 PM
Eclipse Custom - Excellent...a keeper

Tactical Custom - POS...got it running and sold it.

Pro Raptor - Couple of small problems...worked them out; good shooter

Customer Service - won't be calling back.

M2 Carbine
October 10, 2010, 08:15 PM
I've got five.
The reason I don't have six is I haven't seen one lately that I just can't do without.

Zerodefect
October 10, 2010, 08:18 PM
Very good if you buy the under $1000 models. I prefer K over SF,RRA, RIA etc. But the more expensive have no increased performance over the base models.

Most of the extra features on the high end K's are bling. Stick to the Custom II, TLE II, CDPII. I have limited experience with the Ultra small K's and won't comment on those. If your wanting a finer 1911 than the base model Kimbers which are quite nice, then pony up to LB, EB, W, or DW.

Most of Kimbers problems can be fixed for the fun of it as your 1911 building skils advance. I like changing sights and replacing the internal parts with Wilson or Ed Brown parts.

Rather than B about all of K's shortcomings, here's what I'm doing to fix them:

I'm rebuilding my K Custom CDP II 5" with:
-Hienie Slant rear sight
-Dawson .090" FO front sight (Kimbers front sight is too thick and slow)

-Wilson Sear
-Wilson Hammer
-Wilson disconnector ( some fitting required for these three, but not hard to do, need a $30 jig and a stone, get the MIM out!)

-Removed series II FP safety from slide and frame
-Wolff 18 lb recoil spring
-polished ramps, throat, guide rod
-stoned trigger hole in frame
-polished trigger bar
-Ed Brown 25lpi main spring housing (required a few swipes off of the frame corners to blend nicely)
-Tripp mags
-Kimber bump grip safety
-Ed Brown large paddle thumb safety

Allmost done, then I'll get her refinished. Starting to feel like a really custom 1911. I also have a 2010 DW V I'm tuning up, all 1911's need to be fitted to thier owners as much as the sear needs fitted to the hammer. melonite should fix most of K's rusting barrel problems, K deosn't use stainless barrels.

Kimber +++:
-Very good appearance
-most parts are very nice
-most MIM parts drop right in, no fitting required should you break them.
-accurate
-decent trigger for a 1911

Kimber ------:
-barrel in white, aka: rust. No stainless barrels
-MIM parts don't respond well to a trigger job, need replacement for pciky shooters like me, but it's not terrible hard or expensive.
-Not a high ride beavertail cut. More muzzel flip than an EB or DW.
-plastic MSH
-poor sights, fat front sight, no ledge on rear sight for racking one handed via holster or belt.

Overall: Great $700-1000 guns. Poor $1500-2000 guns

CDR_Glock
October 10, 2010, 09:02 PM
I have 2 Kimbers, Pro Raptor II and an Ultra Raptor II.

I changed out the springs and had issues early on. The Pro shoots well now that I have replaced the springs.

The Ultra had issues but in the end, I realize that I have been limp wristing with a soft grip. The Ultra needs to be held very firm, if not a chokehold, to keep from jamming. It has gotten better in the past 50 rounds. But I need to continue practicing with it. Is it because it's a Kimber? No. I think because a 3" 1911 was probably never meant to be. Will I give up on her? Not for now. I am patient and I have a lot of ammo. However, if there is a Gunsmith section, I will ask what kind of Jam I was having since I took pictures this time.

DonRon
October 10, 2010, 09:18 PM
Mine was back to Yonkers so many times that they charged me for the NY tolls on the Fedex delivery trucks. I finally traded it off for a Kahr CW 45 and it has failed to act up one time, even during the break in period.

BlayGlock
October 10, 2010, 10:01 PM
IME, and I've owned a couple, they're good for the 700-1100 dollar range.

As soon as you start reaching towards $1500, there are a ton of truly custom outfits out there that will do ya better.

Ill second this. Kimber's slide to frame fit and barrel lock-up are generally pretty good. This contributes to accuracy and logevity of that accuracy. They usually have decent triggers out of the box. The barrels wil rust if you do not take care of them. They do use MIM, which isnt really that big of deal but some do not care for it.

My favorite models are the Stainless TLE and the Eclipse. Kimber's KimPro does not hold up well in my experience.

Sommerled
October 10, 2010, 10:17 PM
I have two Kimbers an early custom shop officers stainless Covert Carry, never had a problem with it. The other is a 10mm stainless Target full size that, when new, wouldn't chamber a round without excessive force because the caliber stamp on the barrel impinged on the chamber making it out of round. The cust. service people were very short with me and blamed my hand loads. I told them it wouldn't chamber factory either. Anyway, I got the gun back in 10 days with apologies and they even sent the gun through their custom shop for a complete work over and it is a SWEET shooter now. Many thousands of rounds without a problem.
Sommerled

Zanad
October 10, 2010, 10:24 PM
so is the consensus on these 1911's is that they are great pistols but one should expect to be on their own if they have any problems with them becasue CS is crappy?

Nanook
October 10, 2010, 10:26 PM
I have a Grand Raptor II that I bought used, and I love it. I also shoot my buddy's Gold Match or whatever it's called.

Both are great shooters, I have nothing bad to say about either of them. Those are the only experiences I have, but I would buy another without a second thought.

Zerodefect
October 10, 2010, 11:48 PM
so is the consensus on these 1911's is that they are great pistols but one should expect to be on their own if they have any problems with them becasue CS is crappy?

99.99% of shooters are really poor at dealing with CS and warranty issues. A short look at the unrealistic expectations of any .net forum quickly shows that.

Even if Kimbers CS is OK, the way they go about it combined with crazy fanatic gun owners is a complete system failure. You have to have over the top good customer service in the firearm industry, even if it means raiseing prices to cover all the freebies. (Glocks don't have to cost $600)

What's worse is when someone exclaims how awesome a companies CS is, then admits it wasn't the manufactures fault, they ran it over with thier truck, shot reloads with it, lead fouled rifleing, etc. etc. Kinda makes us look bad.

I don't think Kimber even has the ability to test firearms sent back. Because they can't fix simple problems that this armchair commando can. Maybe I should forward my resume to Kimber. LOLz

I have a file and a hammer!

mongo4567
October 11, 2010, 12:02 AM
I have a stainless custom and a compact custom. I love them, very accurate and good triggers right out of the box. I would trust either with my life. I've shot several ultra's as well and one will likely be a future purchase. For the lower priced models they are hard to beat.

Valkman
October 11, 2010, 02:01 AM
I have 3 Kimbers with no issues - a Stainless Target II, a Compact Custom and a Compact CDP. The CDP is my main carry gun and all 3 are fantastic shooters.

J.R.W.
October 11, 2010, 02:31 AM
I've got a Tactical Pro II that got its first cleaning recently in about 5k rounds. It was the first detail strip that I've ever done on it(10k if I had to guess). It was a bit finicky with some hollow points, but with the right mags and ammo, its been reliable. Even with all the soot in it from shooting a strict diet of lead reloads, it never coughed, burped, or farted. The only two issues I had were a stripped grip screw bushing when I got it, and the safety plunger tube loosened up. Both were simple fixes. Kimber is a tough pistol to beat for the money.

Old krow
October 11, 2010, 12:05 PM
I have a Custom II. I love it. I bought it used and have put 1k-1.5k rounds through it without a malfunction of any kind.

I have heard that CS is shaky. I called and apparently I got the nice guy. I can't speak for the entire staff, just the one guy that I called one time. He was knowledgeable, informative, and polite. I wouldn't be surprised if I got the shotty CS that others have described, but I didn't when I called.

I agree with these guys. They're a good gun IMHO, but I'd keep my budget for one in the above parameters.

blackhawk5
October 11, 2010, 08:24 PM
I have a Kimber Gold Match which I've had for 10 years. It works every time and is very accurate. Seems to digest anything I put through it, although, I primarily shoot 230 grain ball ammo. I think you can get a good 1911 for less money, but Kimber makes a very good pistol.

Damon555
October 11, 2010, 08:38 PM
When my friends shoot my Eclipse Custom II they say it's the nicest gun they have ever shot. Many of them can shoot it very well too, even as first time shooters.

I love it.....both my brothers have Kimbers and guess what? They love them. I can't speak for anyone else.

EddieNFL
October 11, 2010, 08:48 PM

Great is a stretch, IMO.

Some folks have reported decent CS. From conversations with a number of folks, I think the crappy CS comes primarily from one person.

orionengnr
October 11, 2010, 10:22 PM
I would say "great" is justified in my experience.
I have had well over 20 1911s, and eight have been Kimbers. Of those, four have been alloy framed 3"ers.

Every Kimber I have owned has worked perfectly--that's why I keep buying them. I no longer buy or own Colts, Springers, or several other brands.

I currently own an alloy framed, Commander sized Les Baer and a Dan Wesson 10mm CBOB, and I have had issues with both. I am not giving up on either (yet), but it gives me a new appreciation for how good the Kimbers are.

If I could only keep one 1911, I'd be tempted to make it my 4" Eclipse.

October 11, 2010, 11:48 PM

So where does that put my Kimber Tactical Entry II which was around $1,250 ... average I suppose? Despite all the crap that gets dumped on Kimber, I couldn't be happier with mine and feel that it's worth putting more money into it with some Ed Brown parts and a trigger job. I'm very impressed with the accuracy and basically everyone that's got to shoot it has been impressed to the point of wanting to buy one. I'm going to buy more Kimbers for sure as well as an Ed Brown or two.

:)

Perseverance
October 11, 2010, 11:56 PM
Oh my god, I haven't been a member of this forum very long but this topic has come up so many times I'm going to puke.

Heres the break down:
Opinion 1)A lot of people think Kimbers are total ass crap
Opinion 2)A lot of people think Kimber makes a good firearm for the money
Opinion 3)But a gun and shut it

bartman06
October 12, 2010, 01:31 PM
I won't ever buy one. I'm not looking to buy a name. I'll find something cheaper that will have equal quality.

jbh13
October 12, 2010, 03:46 PM
I have the Tactical Pro and Super Ultra Carry. SU Carry is my everyday gun. Price aside they are great. However for $1k there are plenty of other guns out there that would be a cheaper substitute, but as far as quality goes you get what you pay for with a kimber.

Also, I can't speak for others that own a 3" Kimber, but the kick on mine feels less than my SW M&P Compact .40. Very smooth shooting.

IMTHDUKE
October 12, 2010, 05:23 PM
Here is the one that give you all the problems with FTE....at least that's what I keep hearing....this one never got that memo.....been 100%.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww2/imthduke/GUNS/62520996525079.jpg

thorazine
October 12, 2010, 06:26 PM
Hummm----is kimber pistol good or bad for they price---please only answer if you used one before---pros----cons

Disliked the one experience I had with them.

CDP in 2005.

Took about three hundred rounds before it became reliable (90% or better) with FMJ.

It however routinely choked on hollow points -- one out of every two rounds on average.

Only positive thing -- it was very accurate and looked pretty. :D

October 12, 2010, 06:51 PM
I shot just under 100 rounds through my Tactical Entry II this past Friday. I was using American Eagle 230gr FMJ ammunition and was knocking down reactive targets at 50 yards, 100 yards and 150 yards with ease and not one problem to report. Kimber mentions a 500 round break in but my pistol has worked flawlessly after the first 10 rounds. I'm using Wilson Combat magazines and I couldn't be happier. I'm in the middle of ordering some Ed Brown parts for it.

Talking of Ed Brown, he states in the FAQ section of his website ...

http://edbrown.com/cgi/htmlos.cgi/00347.1.346971382583180262#aas

"What type of ammunition do you recommend for your handguns?

We recommend high quality Federal or Winchester ammunition, and nothing else. In our years of testing and experience, ammunition by these makers has proven to be of consistent high quality. The core of our function testing is done with Federal 230 grain FMJ, which is great self-defense ammunition. For accuracy, the Federal 185 grain Gold Metal Match ammo tends to produce the best groups.

ol' scratch
October 12, 2010, 08:29 PM
I have owned a custom II for about 2 and a half years. I love it. I reload and the only time the pistol has EVER messed up is when I set the C.O.A.L. too long, causing the pistol to jam. Keep in mind that this was using reloads and I jammed both my Rock Island and my father-in-law's 1911. The pistol runs like a top. I have run 185 and 230 grain FMJ's, 185, 200 and 230 grain hollow points and 185 and 200 grain semi wadcutters through the pistol. I have sent a little over 2500 reloads down the pipe running Unique (a very dirty powder). I only break it completely down once a year (strip to the bare frame) and clean it only once every 500 rounds. I have also fired about a 1000 rounds of factory ammo through the pistol INCLUDING Wolf. No Problems. The pistol is a champ in this price range and truely a bargin.

If you are looking for one of the higher end Kimbers (my Custom cost me $725 new), look at a different manufacturer. Nothing against the Kimber, but if the price starts pushing the cost of a Baer, Wilson or something else, pick up one of the higher end pistols. By my estamation, the higher priced Kimbers are just higher priced Custom II's.

GET WILSON COMBAT MAGAZINES!!! All 1911's seem to like them.

ol' scratch
October 12, 2010, 08:47 PM
I won't ever buy one. I'm not looking to buy a name. I'll find something cheaper that will have equal quality.
The OP asked that if you don't own one, don't weigh in. Follow directions.

bob kk
October 12, 2010, 10:52 PM
I have three. Ultra carry, compact and custom target. Only trouble I've had
was had to change the recoil spring in the compact. Had a Colt first and
after shooting Kimbers the Colt was sold.

harmon rabb
October 13, 2010, 07:22 AM
What's worse is when someone exclaims how awesome a companies CS is, then admits it wasn't the manufactures fault, they ran it over with thier truck, shot reloads with it, lead fouled rifleing, etc. etc. Kinda makes us look bad.

Honestly, the companies with good CS don't care what you did. They'll fix it anyway, on their dime.

harmon rabb
October 13, 2010, 07:23 AM
I won't ever buy one. I'm not looking to buy a name. I'll find something cheaper that will have equal quality

I'll assume you own some RIA 1911's then? :D

Ragnar Danneskjold
October 13, 2010, 07:29 AM
If I had to name the maker that I have heard the most threads about having to send their gun to the shop, or swap out parts to make it work right, it would be Kimber. I've never owned own, and I'm not a 1911 fan, but I have noticed that Kimbers seem to need A LOT of tweaking and upkeep to keep them running.

JohnBT
October 13, 2010, 09:57 AM
I would expect to hear more about Kimber year after year. They are the sales leader when it comes to 1911 pattern pistols.

The last time I looked at the government figures for yearly sales by manufacturer, Kimber was selling something like 40,000 or 50,000 and the small companies like Wilson and Brown were selling maybe 1,000 or 2,000.

After a quick check, I'm out of touch. My numbers are old, old, old.

www.thefreelibrary.com/U.S.+firearms+industry+today%3A+solid+business+growth+continues,+yet...-a0233050533

2008 data:

Kimber - pistols - 62,603

Springfield - pistols - 10,878

Rinspeed
October 13, 2010, 01:55 PM
If I had to name the maker that I have heard the most threads about having to send their gun to the shop, or swap out parts to make it work right, it would be Kimber.

Seeing they sell more 1911s than most of the other companies combined that shouldn't surprise you. ;)

CDW4ME
October 13, 2010, 03:07 PM
I have 3 Kimbers: CDP Compact II, Ultra Carry II, Ultra Carry stainless TLE II.

-None of them worked with the factory magazine, last round feeding issues; Tripp magazines work 100% in all three.

-I had to file down the Ultra stainless TLE slide stop because it would randomly lock open when shooting hollow point ammunition; problem was corrected by file and sandpaper applications on the slide stop.

My CDP Compact started throwing brass at my head around the 500 round mark, it hadn't before, so I replaced the recoil spring and solved the problem.

Compared to Colt:
-All three Kimbers came with factory night sights, I had to install them on the Colt since they are not offered as a factory option.
-Kimber barrels are "in the white" whereas the Colt has a stainless barrel.
-Both Kimber and Colt make use of MIM parts.

IME: If you have trouble with a Kimber (or Colt 1911) try a different magazine, may work fine with one, but not another.
Keep the exterior of the barrel oiled if you get a Kimber to prevent rust.
Recoil springs have to be replaced sooner on compact 1911 pistols (compared to others) to keep them performing correctly.

ForumSurfer
October 13, 2010, 03:21 PM
My CDP Compact started throwing brass at my head around the 500 round mark, it hadn't before, so I replaced the recoil spring and solved the problem.

MY CDP Pro had the same issue. I'm on the 4th or so set of springs and 3500+ rounds. Once it starts dinging me in the forehead predictably, I order a set of wolff springs.

Other than that, no issues to speak of. Well, not true. I broke the ambi-safety when I fell on a curb. Kimber sent me a (free) replacement part when I asked for a part number, even though it was out of scope and out of warranty. So my hats off to their customer service in my case.

I also own a glock that has yet to kaboom. I guess it goes to show you that experiences and opinions vary.

The Wiry Irishman
October 13, 2010, 03:27 PM
I've got two, a Custom II and SIS Ultra. I'm very happy with both. The SIS was one of those "how did this make it out of the factory" guns, with many obvious problems out of the box. Kimber picked up shipping both ways to service it, took a week less than they said they would, and had it working 100%. I had a similar experience when the SIS had to go back again to get a new front site. (The tritium vial burst, a Meprolight problem, not a Kimber problem)

Like many posters on this thread already, I've found that Kimbers are very competitive at around the 1200 dollar price point and under. Much more than that and their quality doesn't even come close to other makers at the price point. On the opposite side, I still think they have the best triggers you can get on a sub-$1000 gun.

Chuck Warner
October 14, 2010, 01:21 AM
Kimber has the largest share of the 1911 market by five fold. with those kinds of numbers, Its amazing we dont see more problem threads.
I have worked on more than a few and I recommend them.
They are a good value . They also raised the bar such that, you the consumer enjoy better 1911s across the board from all manufacturers.

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss86/chucksgunz/CW-Guns-5.jpg

BIGGBAY90
October 20, 2010, 05:56 AM
Nice picture---must be custom grips

wtfd661
October 20, 2010, 01:16 PM
I've owned three and still own two (the only reason I sold the third was I was getting tired of hearing my buddy begging me to sell it to him). Never have had a single issue with any of them, not sure how you can get better than that.

JoelSteinbach
October 20, 2010, 03:02 PM
I own a few , never, ever had a problem, I have just finnished breaking in my new , Eclipse Custom 10MM, 550 hand loaded rounds, flawless. My first Kimber the Compact Aluminum, still as accurate as the day I first fired it, Ther are now 7 kimbers in my safe.

swinokur
October 21, 2010, 12:12 AM
TLE/RL II 1k rounds through it. Eats HST 230g +p and 230g Gold Dots like a champ.

It even shoots well with the Kimber mags, which are now used for the range. I use the Wilson 47D's for carry no issues.

As someone pointed out Kimber makes more 1911's than all the others combined. Statistically you'd expect a larger number of complaints. The important question is what percentage of their annual output have problems.

Mine has been perfect and with the included night sights and front strap checkering I think it's one of the best values out there.

piece of meat
October 21, 2010, 01:14 AM
Tactical Entry? LOL, the names they are coming up with now are starting to be just plain funny

mljdeckard
October 21, 2010, 07:20 AM
No cons here.

My Custom II is the best handgun I have ever owned, I use if for everything. If I were allowed to I would carry it to war. My friends loved it so much most of them switched to 1911s, many of them to Kimber. None of us has ever had any significant problem with them. If MIM parts are destined to break, all of mine must be defective.

There ae a lot of Kimber haters in here. I have responded to them, many times, that Kimber makes several TIMES as many 1911s as their nearest competitor. People who have BAD experiences complain louder and more often on the internet than people who buy something and like it. This means that a higher NUMBER of them will have problems reported on the internet. None of this means that Kimbers have a higher RATE of problems than any other manufacturer.

I have shot Baers, Wilsons, etc. I had a Nighthawk jam up on me at a rental range. All machines fail eventually. But I have absolutely no idea what these high-end pistols are supposed to do for more then THREE TIMES the price of my Kimber.

jwash3rd
October 21, 2010, 08:24 AM
I was new to shooting when I won a Kimber Custom II from a Friends of the NRA raffle. I would not have considered a 1911, especially at that price at the time. The pistol amazed me right out of the box with it's accuracy and reliability. The only time I had an issue was when it wouldn't feed, and when I was waiting for CS to call me back I discovered I had installed the recoil spring backwards. When the rep got back to me, he was friendly and knowledgeable. The only improvement I'm considering are Tru Glo Tritium/Fiber Optic sights.

Jonah71
October 21, 2010, 11:50 AM
I carry mine daily. I have put more than enough rounds through it to feel comfortable saying I trust my life to it. I don't ever expect to have to reach for my old Chiefs Special bug. I'd much prefer not to have the need for either of the two.

cog099
November 11, 2010, 08:14 PM
I recently picked up my first Kimbers, an Ultra Carry II and an Eclipse Target II. I was very hesitant after reading all the issues that people seem to have with their Kimbers. The Eclipse was a preowned gun with the dreaded External Extractor. I figured it was in such good shape because it didn't work.

I now have had 400 round thru the Eclipse and 300 thru the Ultra Carry II and neither has had the slightest problem. I have used Wilson mags, CMC Powermags, and the stock Kimber mags. FMJ and HP. Needless to say I am impressed and relieved.

A and O
November 11, 2010, 08:56 PM
Kimber Custom ll parked in the man cave. I would not even begin to tell of how many people have bought one after shooting mine. At the time (about 8yrs ago?) when I bought it it was a great shooter and still is today. Only a wild guess, maybe 15-18,000 through the pipe and I honestly don't recall ever having any ftf's or fte's aside from tweaking loads to fit the gun.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Custom ll to anybody looking for a 1911 in the under $1,000 price range. I think I paid $650.00 new 8 or so yrs. ago.

November 11, 2010, 09:07 PM
Tactical Entry? LOL, the names they are coming up with now are starting to be just plain funny

No funnier than Ed Brown using names such as Executive, Kobra or Special Forces. How about Dan Wesson with the Valor, V-Bob, Pointman or Guardian, or Springfield with the Operator, Mil-Spec, EMP or TRP? It's just a name that helps to differentiate between the numerous models and features. This isn't unique to Kimber.

PowerG
November 12, 2010, 12:10 AM
I've only owned one, a Compact Custom bought in 2000, but it has been a good'un.

cesarv
November 12, 2010, 12:15 AM
I have a Kimber Custom Target II and I love it. I have shot about 2000 rounds through it and the only problem I encountered with it was the factory magazines. I bought a Kimber ProTac Mag and a Wilson combat and have not have any problems with them.

By comparison, I also have a Sig P226 Navy and I also love it but I am way more accurate with the Kimber.

Stevie-Ray
November 13, 2010, 01:32 AM
I trust my life to a Kimber every day, an Ultra CDP. Back when I got it there simply wasn't anything by any other maker to equal it. I had to talk them down to $950.:( Spendy, as far as I was concerned, but it has been the most accurate out of the box handgun I've ever fired, and utterly reliable with my chosen PD load. It replaced a HKUSPC which just wasn't for me as an EDC. I'm definitely a 1911 kind of guy and perfectly happy for many years.

Hedgemeister
November 13, 2010, 10:52 PM
I use my Ultra Stainless TLEii as my CC. I have 600 rounds through it and only one FTE in the first 50 rounds. I was using the steel Herter's ammo from Cabela's for the first 100 rounds to really test it out. My wife now carries the Ultra Crimson Carry and no issues yet through 400 rounds. Accuracy is great and I am an average shot.

BIGGBAY90
May 7, 2011, 12:08 PM
My friend has a crimsom custom .45 and that one jamed on three range outing but it still new so maybe thats wHy

KingMedicine
May 7, 2011, 07:21 PM
I have owned two of them in my life. First one was a classic Royal that i bought from a pawn shop, and sold for a profit (even tho i regret it... it was an sexy pistol) and a Kimber Custom II that was a good gun, just nothing fancy.

Overall... Ive come to the conclusion that they are good guns, but maybe not quite worth the price. My Rock Island Tac was 3 hundred cheaper new, and is just as good of a 1911. And my Fusion was twice the price, but is more then twice the gun.

my 2 cents.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kimber---good or bad" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!