Fixed sights and point-of-aim

PDA

Triggernosis
October 11, 2010, 04:01 PM
Just doing an informal survey here: What percentage of revolvers with fixed sights have shot to point-of-aim in your past experience?

If you enjoyed reading about "Fixed sights and point-of-aim" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CDawg
October 11, 2010, 04:23 PM
I've had 4 and all 4 shot very close to point of aim with certain ammunition. Matching ammunition and bullet weight was more important with some than others. They're all different.

M2 Carbine
October 11, 2010, 04:45 PM
I've got a bunch of revolvers and fixed sight semi autos.
Just as a rough guess I'd say one out of five of my fixed sight handguns does not shoot to point of aim.

I don't mind too much if the gun shoots a little high or low but it's aggravating when it shoots off to the side.

As a final check I'll have a friend shoot the gun without telling him what my results are. Pretty much every time they will get the same results.

Triggernosis
October 11, 2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks, guys. Yes, it's the off-to-the-side shots that I'm most concerned about.

rcmodel
October 11, 2010, 05:39 PM
I suppose it depends, but for many years, fixed sight revolvers & auto pistols were factory regulated for the standard load for the caliber.

For instance, for 75 years, a .38 Special load consisted of a 158 grain LRN bullet at about 850 FPS.
.45 ACP only came in 230 FMJ at 830 FPS.

You could take a fixed sight Colt or S&W to the bank that it would shoot that load very close to POA.

Today?
All bets are off, as there are a gazillion different .38 Special loads ranging from 110 P+ to 158 +P, back to standard pressure 130 FMJ, and so forth. And another gazillion in .45 ACP, and all other calibers.

All of them simply cannot shoot to the same place with fixed sights.

rc

pikid89
October 11, 2010, 08:15 PM
thats why im afraid to jump on that jg slaes thing...theyve got used S&W m64s for like 250 bucks...i want one for hunting and target shooting to supplement my 642 but i dont like the sights on my 642 and they are the same as the 64
besides that i would ad in a new single action hammer and if i put in aftermarket sights, i may as well get a used m19 or m66

Lucky Derby
October 12, 2010, 01:02 AM
100%.
Once I found the load that the gun in question liked.

Robert Wilson
October 12, 2010, 02:05 AM
Almost all the fixed sight double action guns I have tried shot to point of aim.

M2 Carbine
October 12, 2010, 12:13 PM
The question of just what is accepted as "shooting to POA" comes to mind.
IMO this is shooting to POA.
Grouping a inch or two or three one way or the other, IMO is not shooting to POA.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/KimberUltraCarry10yds7shts1hole.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Fixed sights and point-of-aim" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!