Gun shop got a shipment of S&Ws

PDA

Olympus
October 11, 2010, 07:21 PM
A gun shop in my area got in a big shipment of old Smith revolvers. They're mainly 66s and 19s, but they're in some pretty rough shape. I'd like to snag a 19 and/or 66 but I'm a little concerned with the condition they're in and the price tag they have.

They've got a 2.5" 19-5 that is blued that has some real potential if refinished. The problem is the gun has significant rust all over the gun and someone has taken an electric pen and etched serial numbers on the bottom of the trigger guard, bottom of the lug, inside of the top strap, etc. They want $419 for it. Seems really steep considering the condition of the gun. Mechanically, the gun looked like it was in alright condition. What would be a reasonable offer for this particular gun. Mechanically I'd say the gun is 75%+ and cosmetically, I'd say 50%. Serial is ADF90XX. DOB?

Then they've got probably 10 to 15 model 66s. None of them have any electric pen markings, but they all have some minor dings. I'm not too concerned with the scratches, but they've all got a handful of dents and dings to the metal. They all have Pachmyer grips. These guns start at $500 for the poorest condition and go up to $570 for what I would call average condition. I'd like to pick up a 66 and have the stainless shined up real nice. What would you consider to be an acceptable offer for a "average" condition 66-2 or so? I can't remember if the barrels were pinned, but I know none of the guns had recessed cylinders. Forgot to mention that all the 66s are 2.5" as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun shop got a shipment of S&Ws" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hardluk1
October 11, 2010, 07:28 PM
Nothing there sounds like any kind of deal. More like a rip. I buddy just pickup a combat masterpiece for 500 and looks like new. I pickup a nice model 10 for 200 a month back.

Olympus
October 11, 2010, 07:32 PM
Compared to what you're saying, there's no deals going on.

There was a woman behind the counter showing me the guns and I asked her why the 19s had the electric pen. She said the owner bought all the Smiths in a batch that came from somewhere overseas. Raised a red flag to me...

Racinbob
October 11, 2010, 07:39 PM
Run the other way! My favorite shop here has police turn in's, most under $300.00 and in decent shape.

Olympus
October 11, 2010, 08:01 PM
That's a bummer, especially since I've been looking for a 66 for some time now. Do you think $250 is unreasonable for the 19-2 that is in such bad condition?

I'm not looking for a collector piece and if I had it refinished for say $150, then I'd have about $400 in it and it would look a lot better. Bad idea?

Husker_Fan
October 11, 2010, 08:52 PM
For a point of reference, I saw a 4" model 19 in a retail shop today for $459. It was in excellent condition.

MCgunner
October 11, 2010, 08:57 PM
A gun shop in my area got in a big shipment of old Smith revolvers. They're mainly 66s and 19s, but they're in some pretty rough shape. I'd like to snag a 19 and/or 66 but I'm a little concerned with the condition they're in and the price tag they have.

Welcome to my world. :rolleyes: This is the general state of the used Smith and Wesson around here. That's why the only one I have is a M10 at the moment and I inherited that.

Olympus
October 11, 2010, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the reference and heads up. I believe I'll pass on this batch. There's a gun show this weekend and I think I'll make a pass through and see what I can find.

savit260
October 11, 2010, 09:13 PM
Do you think $250 is unreasonable for the 19-2 that is in such bad condition?

Yes!

S&Wfan
October 11, 2010, 09:18 PM
Smart move. Nice S&W revolvers come available all the time . . . you just have to be looking for them and be at the right place.

My favorite local gun shop knows exactly what I like. IMPORTANT . . . MOST SHOPS NEVER PUT THEIR NICER GUNS ON DISPLAY . . . for all the local idiots to fondle, scratch and ruin. Many folks don't even know this!!!

However, once folks know you they'll start pulling out the good stuff! BTW, they'll also know by then that you know what the stuff is worth, and that you buy things you look at so you'll get great guns at prices that are fair for both parties . . .

Why buy a ragged out piece of shtuff when you can get a nice looking roscoe for a reasonable amount?

Here's my latest from that shop, made in 1950 . . .
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/415/415871/folders/305468/2454099IMG2078p-pi-c.jpg

And a Model 19 from a year or so ago. It cost me $550 for the gun INCLUDING a set of new Grashorn Gunworks Elk Stags with medallions (that cost $145). Thus, the gun really cost just $405 for a nice Model 19 . . . just to give you a point of reference about prices.

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/415/415871/folders/305468/2448400IMG1162psw300.jpg

Don't buy no raggedy azzzz guns. There's no need to make that mistake.

W.E.G.
October 11, 2010, 09:37 PM
.................................They want $419 for it.

RUN AWAY!!!!!!

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/pythonrunaway.jpg

Radagast
October 11, 2010, 09:59 PM
Late 1983 or 1984. Also, look elsewhere. price is too high for a poor condition gun.

outerlimit
October 11, 2010, 10:08 PM
they've got a 2.5" 19-5 that is blued that has some real potential if refinished. The problem is the gun has significant rust all over the gun and someone has taken an electric pen and etched serial numbers on the bottom of the trigger guard, bottom of the lug, inside of the top strap, etc. They want $419 for it.

hahahahahahahaha

Jubjub
October 12, 2010, 07:18 AM
Summit Gun Broker has a batch of Model 15s for $265. From the pic, they look pretty finish worn, but then he isn't asking 400+ for them. Model 10s for $225, also.

Deaf Smith
October 12, 2010, 07:35 PM

They've got a 2.5" 19-5 that is blued that has some real potential if refinished. The problem is the gun has significant rust all over the gun and someone has taken an electric pen and etched serial numbers on the bottom of the trigger guard, bottom of the lug, inside of the top strap, etc. They want $419 for it. Seems really steep considering the condition of the gun. Mechanically, the gun looked like it was in alright condition. What would be a reasonable offer for this particular gun. Mechanically I'd say the gun is 75%+ and cosmetically, I'd say 50%. Serial is ADF90XX. DOB?

Then they've got probably 10 to 15 model 66s. None of them have any electric pen markings, but they all have some minor dings. I'm not too concerned with the scratches, but they've all got a handful of dents and dings to the metal. They all have Pachmyer grips. These guns start at $500 for the poorest condition and go up to $570 for what I would call average condition. I'd like to pick up a 66 and have the stainless shined up real nice. What would you consider to be an acceptable offer for a "average" condition 66-2 or so? I can't remember if the barrels were pinned, but I know none of the guns had recessed cylinders. Forgot to mention that all the 66s are 2.5" as well.
FIVE HUNDRED BUCKS???? Or more?

No, I'll pass.

Deaf

Olympus
October 12, 2010, 08:50 PM
What should I expect to pay for an average to above average condition 66 with a 2.5" barrel?

Seems like all I'm seeing in my area are $500+ and from what I'm hearing, that's too much for an average condition 66.

Deaf Smith
October 12, 2010, 10:55 PM
Olympus,

What do you mean 'average' condition?

Now if I found a perfect condition older M66, say with no dash, pinned barrel, recessed chamber, zero-zero tollerances, I'd go that $500 (in fact, I DO have one that way come to think of it, bought it when $300 was alot for a revolver.)

Now if the M66, with no recessed chamber, no pinned in barrel, locks good with no end shake or sprung crane... Well in fact here is a good checklist below:

http://thesixgunjournal.net/revolverbuyersguide.html

Now if it turns out ok, then maybe $400. But once you get into the $500 range you can get a SIG or Glock for that!

BTW, the last revolver I bought, about a week ago, was a Ruger Security Six, 2 3/4 inch blue, 'low back' (150- sn range) in very good condition for $340, tax included. And I've added a Tyler-T and took 1.5 coils of the main spring (it must have never been actually used much as the DA pull was quite heavy.) It sits here by me as I type this!

Deaf

Olympus
October 13, 2010, 09:09 AM
By average, I mean condition and mechanics. Minor scratches, dings, overall wear, etc, locks up well, minor flame cutting, no box, papers, etc. That's what I would consider average. Just a gun that has been reasonably taken care of but also been shot a reasonable number of times.

The reason I ask is because I posted a WTB ad on local classifed and a guy said he had a mid 80s 66 2.5", no recessed chambers, and it was a dashed model with Safariland grips, no box, papers, or original grips. He wouldn't send pictures and wouldn't tell me what he wanted for it. He wanted me to make the first offer. I said without seeing it, I hated to make an offer. He said as long as the offer wasn't a lowball, he would consider it. I finally replied and said I would be willing to do $350 to $400 and if it was in excellent condition, I would do more. The response I got was less than pleasant. I was called a "bottom feeder" and cussed up one side and down the other for a "junk offer". The guy said he could sell the gun "for $650+ all day long".

I might have been a little low with the $350, but the guy wouldn't even send me a picture unless I made an offer that he thought wasnt' a "lowball". So I did just so I could see a few pictures of the gun. I don't think anything I said or did warranted being called a bottom feeder and getting a good cussing. Just wanted to make sure my $350 to $400 offer was reasonable. From the comments made earlier, it doesn't sound like it. But I just wanted to double check.

JFrame
October 13, 2010, 09:46 AM
I got a 3" barrel S&W Model 65 that looks absolutely pristine (literally, it seemed like it never got handled, let alone fired) at a gun show a few months ago for $475 -- so have to agree with the consensus on this thread that the offerings cited by the OP sound pretty bad...

ArchAngelCD
October 14, 2010, 03:58 AM
If the 2.5" Model 19 was in 90% or better condition it would probably be worth $500 but not if it's all rusty and someone too a engraver to it. The model 10's should be no more than $250-$300 and the Model 15's no more than $325 if they had no dings and were still wearing the original grips. They are crazy to think they should charge $500 for a Model 10 that's all beaten up and sporting Pachmayr grips.

Bud's Gun Shop online has brand new Model 10 Classics for $556.00 shipping included.
They want all that money for very used??? WOW!!

commygun
October 14, 2010, 10:38 PM
Got a 2.5" 66 in very good condition for $375 last weekend at the Centralia Gun Show . How it managed to sit there for the 2 hours the show had been open without someone snatching it up I don't know.

Jim K
October 15, 2010, 12:32 PM
Well, almost all those prices seem high to me. But if I might, I have a word on condition. If you plan to carry a gun for defense, I advise that it be reliable but not in top outward condition or have any collector value.

If you have to use the gun on the street, you could be in a position of having to drop it on a concrete sidewalk, or be shot by police. Even if that doesn't happen, it will almost certainly be seized by the police as evidence and police don't coddle evidence guns. When/if you are cleared and get the gun back, it might be scratched, rusty or otherwise damaged. To have a $3000 gun subjected to that treatment would be unfortunate. (Sure you could sue the cops for the damage; you could also win the lottery.)

No, you don't carry a junk gun. You want the most reliable gun you can find. But to carry a valuable collectors item or an engraved, gold inlaid "BBQ gun" seems very foolish to me.

Jim

cpirtle
October 15, 2010, 04:52 PM
I like using guns SOLD on Gunbroker as a reference for what people will actually pay for a gun. I stress sold because people can ask what they want & re-listing is free/automatic. Earlier this year I sold a nice 95% snub nose 66 on Gunbroker, no reserve, $1 opening bid and it closed for $525 + shipping.

Seems the 66's and to some extent the 19's have been spiking in price recently but what you are quoting from that dealer is totally out of line.

If you want a deal they pop up all the time, as others have said you need to be in the right place at the right time.

Last week I snagged a 6" 98% no-dash/no-ILS/no-MIM 686 with orginial combat grips and a Hogue one piece for $250 at a local shop.

It didn't have the box so I almost passed on it... just kidding ;)

If you are willing to shoot 38 only don't discount the model 10 or 15, they are fantastic guns and can be had for less money. Finding one of them for $200-250 is not unheard of and should hold you over until the right deal on a 66 or 19 comes along.

jad0110
October 15, 2010, 09:31 PM
The prices of many S&W revolvers seem to have peaked recently and are coming down. About a year ago, 2.5" Model 66s were selling for $550 every day of the week. I counted myself lucky for picking up a solid 2.5" 66-1 P&R for $430 in Dec '09. Sounds like in many areas 2.5" 66s and 19s are going for $400-$450.

Hondo 60
October 16, 2010, 12:52 AM
J&G Sales in Prescott, AZ has a bunch of M10s going for $180 - $200
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/smith-wesson/revolver/p/smith-wesson-model-10%2C-4in-standard-barrel-good-to-very-good-condition/cPath/16_211_431/products_id/4711

welldoya
October 16, 2010, 08:20 AM
I've been looking around for a Model 10 or something similar for a house gun for my daughter and her husband. I'm seriously considering buying one from J&G. I just wish the hammers weren't bobbed on those Model 64s.
Anyway, I was cruising a few pawn shops at lunchtime yesterday just seeing what they had. I found a model 10 snubnose in good mechanical shape but poor finish for $180. I'm considering that one very seriously.
I was in one shop and they had a model 15 in probably 85% - 90% condition. I would have been really interested at $300 but when the clerk turned the tag over it was marked $475.
He asked if I needed a good protection gun. I told him not at that price, I can get one off the internet for $250. He put it back in the case and said "Well, we charge $25 for transfers".

Taroman
October 16, 2010, 11:03 AM
Just picked up this old 15-4 for $200 bucks. Ex-duty gun. The thumbpiece was missing. Easy fix. Tight as a tick and the bore is perfect.

http://www.hverovhe.com/15-4.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun shop got a shipment of S&Ws" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!