Practice with a telescopic baton

PDA

Fer
October 11, 2010, 09:14 PM
I have heard of telescopic batons bending on impact and dont colapse anymore, specially the cheap batons, but I believe that if it bends during a fight and saves your arse and does not colapse afterwards it really served its purpuse, the worst that that could happen is that you will need to buy another.
What really worries me is that if you practice a lot, that means extending the baton often that the friction will wear out and eventually the three tubes will fly apart when you really need it. Do you know how much of the steel tubes is inside each other when extended before it will wear and fly out? or the chances of that happening are slim?

Regards,

If you enjoyed reading about "Practice with a telescopic baton" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
October 12, 2010, 08:03 AM
Never saw that on an ASP or other quality baton for professional use.

JShirley
October 12, 2010, 12:46 PM
Yeah, won't happen on an ASP.

If you want to practice a lot of strikes, it's pretty easy to find a similar weight, very strong substitute. I would probably go with a phenolic rod with a handmade handle, which will be easy to make.

Fer
October 13, 2010, 02:12 AM
Phenolic rod? can you please elaborate on what is it originaly used for, or where can I buy one?

Regards,

hso
October 13, 2010, 03:11 AM
Contact a plastic supply house and they can provide lexan or phenolic or micarta

CWL
October 13, 2010, 11:40 PM
If you can't find resin/micarta/g10 materials, you can use wood or a steel bar as a substitute for baton practice.

Ragnar Danneskjold
October 14, 2010, 06:57 AM
You don't need an actual baton to practice strikes. Any old dowel rod of appropriate width and length will do.

If you enjoyed reading about "Practice with a telescopic baton" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!