Pop gun questions

PDA

MLC
December 16, 2003, 09:33 AM
Is the 22 CB long less powerful than the 22 CB short?
I was astounded yesterday when I had to use multiple shots to remove grey squirrels from the eaves of our barn. I'd been using shorts which have excellent penetration but switched because I was told that longs were more quiet. Longs are also easier to get into the chamber of my cz 452.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pop gun questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
redneck
December 16, 2003, 11:01 AM
I think I remember reading here that folks find the shorts more powerful. Something like they have the same charge in a smaller case so you get a little more pressure.
I haven't found anything that drops real quick with CB longs either, although they are quiet and pretty accurate at short range.

Dave Markowitz
December 16, 2003, 03:44 PM
It's a little unclear from your post, but it sounds like you are confusing .22 Shorts with .22 CBs, which are available with both Short and Long cases. .22 Shorts are more powerful than .22 CBs, of either Short or Long variety.

MLC
December 16, 2003, 05:53 PM
At the local shop they have CB long and CB shorts.
I'm just going to stick the the tiny ones as they drop the squirrels quickly and quietly.

Jiles111
December 16, 2003, 08:55 PM
I am shure he was talking about the 22CB shorts. Here is a pic of some with recovered ammo. Also next them them is a 22LR and a 17HMR.

http://17hmr.net/guns/22cb.jpg

Grayrock
December 17, 2003, 12:43 AM
I have been using the CCI CB caps in the short in my squirrel gun. Works well for me. Are the longs any quieter? BTW- what does CB stand for?

MLC
December 17, 2003, 01:54 AM
The longs are quieter but the need for multiple hits on vital squirrel parts makes that moot imho. I was nearly sure that I hit one squirrel 2x in the body and 2x in the head. It only showed one head wound(terminal). I heard a loud, fleshy whack after each shot. With the short CB's I never had a problem with wounded squirrels, it was usually a 1 shot deal.

Jiles111
December 17, 2003, 03:53 PM
Anyone know that the X, K, and A stands for that is stamped on the back of the Cbee bulltes? Some have the stamps, some do not. They are machine stamped put there on purpose, but I dont know why.

Oleg Volk
December 17, 2003, 10:18 PM
CB = conical ball

If you enjoyed reading about "Pop gun questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!