Kahr PM9(new to me)

PDA

Kingcreek
October 12, 2010, 12:23 PM
After too much time spent looking for my "best" personal carry gun. I picked up a lightly used PM9 with CT laser. I was resolved to buying a new one and would not have spent for the laser but this one was about the same price I planned to spend and I thought what the heck, try it and sell the laser off later if I don't like it.
First impression- I love the size for concealed carry and 9mm is my personal minimum caliber for defense. I think I will like the laser more and more as I use it. This gun is not easy to shoot accurately and I see real advantage to the laser here.
The trigger pull is LOOOooong..... I've never met a trigger I can't get used to with practice but this one is going to take some doing. again, the laser is likely to help. I will have to make sure I don't become too dependant on it though.
Dis-assembly is a Bee-itch. field stripping is easy but re-assembly moderately difficult with that little spring thingy that absolutely has to go on top of the slide-stop protrusion but does not want to- somebody's idea of a practical joke? Slide dis-assembly is even worse but possible at the bench with proper tools, bifocals, and patience.
Accuracy is better than I expected from a 3" barrel. Recoil is snappy but not bad even with the abreviated grip.
Reliability is 100% so far but I've only shot FMJs, soon to try some serious defense loads from Speer and Hornady.
Pocket carry in the Desantis is not working for me. I'm going to end up getting some flavor of IWB holster for it.
all-in-all, very impressed. I think it is going to satisfy my needs nicely.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahr PM9(new to me)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Guillermo
October 12, 2010, 12:29 PM
our impressions are similar.

I find that the longer magazine helps with controllability (plus it adds a round :))

In my case, I have gotten pretty decent with it. Much prefer to carry one of the D-Frame Colts. I shoot them much better but sometimes the little PM9 is all that I can conceal.

I think that you will find that the Kahr is a very nice little weapon and will serve you well.

Enjoy

hawkeye10
October 12, 2010, 01:27 PM
:) I am a big Kahr fan. Over the years I have had several of their guns. I only have two right now, a CW9 and a P380. I think it want take you long to get used to the trigger. Kahr triggers have a long pull but it's a smooth pull, and they are all the same no matter the gun. I think you will like your PM9. Don

DakPara
October 12, 2010, 02:36 PM
My wife has a PM9 she loves, but I decided to go with the P9 and get bigger pockets.

When using a holster, I like the P9 since they carry almost identically and I would use the longer mag for the PM9 anyway.

Just my preference.

I do think the P9 is a bit more reliable with the longer, single spring-rate guide rod. During the break in period, my wife's new PM9 probably had 30/200 failures to feed. My new P9? Zero (0/200)

Kingcreek
October 12, 2010, 03:46 PM
I use the 6 round mag. I like the feel of the P9 but wanted to get about as compact as possible without going less than 9mm. I thought I would go with pocket carry and if I find a better pocket holster I might. My pockets are either too big or too small because the Desantis Nemesis either comes out with the gun or I can't get the gun out without time-robbing contortions and pocket digging.

Ben86
October 12, 2010, 04:02 PM
I like mine plenty. My wife likes it more and claimed it as her future CCW. It's a little too big for pocket carry for all but the biggest of my front pockets. Maybe if I try a softer holster, like the blackhawk, instead of desantis it won't print as much.

Zerodefect
October 12, 2010, 06:13 PM
Pics or it didnt happen.:neener:

Check out Crossbreed for a IWB holster.

Kingcreek
October 12, 2010, 07:03 PM
I have a crossbreed super tuck on order for my Glock 23. If I like it enough, I'll probably order a mini-tuck for the PM9.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahr PM9(new to me)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!