Gun Myths and Legends

PDA

Prion
October 12, 2010, 01:52 PM
Glocks are so perfect all you have to do is fill a mag with loose primers, powder, bullets, and brass and they will still fire!

Sigs quality has fallen so far they are renaming the company LiLo.

AKs are so reliable you can melt one down in a smelter and it will still run.

DI ARs are so dirty you can only make them in the San Fernando Valley.

Kimbers are so poorly made they now include a hammer and file instead of magazines.

The 1911 slide has become so popular as a billboard Coke and Pepsi are buying advertising space.

9mm is so weak it's only used in airsoft.

Revolvers now come with a free AARP membership.

.45acp is so big and powerful you need an FAA license to shoot it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Myths and Legends" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CoRoMo
October 12, 2010, 01:56 PM
Those are all new to me.

Zanad
October 12, 2010, 01:59 PM
A shotgun can blow a man off his feet and through a window.

A 44 mag can pierce an engine block.

youd be lying if you ever said you saw an ak jam.( I have)

people cant own a pistol if they be under 21

dropping a bullet and firing a bullet at the same time will resault in them falling at the same rate(this one IS actully true, just hard to argue).

--------------------------------

thats all i could come up with

-sent from the future-

seal
October 12, 2010, 02:08 PM
we must talk to some of the same people lol
the same gun in any caliber other than 45 is inferior in accuracy, quality and will only wound or piss off.

movie myth :P you have to pump a shotgun multiple times to get it to fire.

FLAvalanche
October 12, 2010, 02:11 PM
Glocks are so perfect all you have to do is fill a mag with loose primers, powder, bullets, and brass and they will still fire!

Sigs quality has fallen so far they are renaming the company LiLo.

AKs are so reliable you can melt one down in a smelter and it will still run.

DI ARs are so dirty you can only make them in the San Fernando Valley.

Kimbers are so poorly made they now include a hammer and file instead of magazines.

The 1911 slide has become so popular as a billboard Coke and Pepsi are buying advertising space.

9mm is so weak it's only used in airsoft.

Revolvers now come with a free NAARP membership.

.45acp is so big and powerful you need an FAA license to shoot it.
I thought this was a thread about myths?

Russ Jackson
October 12, 2010, 02:20 PM
a 44 magnum will blow your head clean off...Russ

stchman
October 12, 2010, 02:22 PM
Here are my myths.

Glock 7s are made of porcelain.
Sigs are perfect.
1911s are God's choice.
You can't reload steel case ammo.
A $1000 firearm is 2X better than a $500 firearm.
The 9mm Luger won't protect you.
A .22LR bullet "bounces" around inside a human body.
A .50BMG round will shoot down an airliner at 35,000ft.
Gun control means less crime.
Handgun bans work.
Criminals obey gun laws.

jimmyraythomason
October 12, 2010, 02:30 PM
Any scope that costs less than $1500 isn't worth buying.

essayons21
October 12, 2010, 03:24 PM
Glocks are plastic guns designed to pass through airport metal detectors

youd be lying if you ever said you saw an ak jam.

Now that I think about it, I've never seen an AK jam.

Dimis
October 12, 2010, 03:36 PM
If you shoot someone in the THUMB with a .45ACP it will knock them down.

.223 cant kill only wound (same for 5.56)

All inexpencive guns are junk

its always a magazine problem not a shooter problem

inexpencive guns are not good for HD

9mm, .38Sp, .22LR, .22Mag, .25ACP, .32ACP, .380ACP and .40S&W are not effective for personal defense EVER

40S&W is worthless

10mm and .45ACP are the end all be all pistol cartridges

.50AE and the Desert Eagle are useless all the way around

The Taurus Judge is junk

.22 is a poor training aid

Building a gun for fun is wrong (yes some of us like tacticool lol)

Tim the student
October 12, 2010, 03:38 PM
A 50BMG will automatically kill a person, regardless of where they are hit.

MattTheHat
October 12, 2010, 03:40 PM
10mm and .45ACP are the end all be all pistol cartridges

Do you mean they aren't? :scratching head

-Matt

jimmyraythomason
October 12, 2010, 03:42 PM
A sporterized mil-surp is always less accurate than a commercial hunting rifle.

Gord
October 12, 2010, 03:45 PM
As an alternative to the above, "it don't matter if I screw around with this one, they made a million of 'em!"

jimmyraythomason
October 12, 2010, 04:13 PM
OR...better keep that rusty old mil-surp original because it will be worth a lot of money even though they made millions of them.

essayons21
October 12, 2010, 04:16 PM
Knockdown power in relation to pistol calibers.

Through personal and anecdotal evidence I haven't seen anything to disprove this. I guess if you were hit in the pinky it would be survivable, but I have never seen or heard of anyone surviving a .50 BMG hit, even to the extremities.

I'm sure there is an example out there, I'd be interested in seeing it.

jimmyraythomason
October 12, 2010, 04:29 PM
Paint is good enough for a $250,000 Rolls Royce Bentley but not good enough for a $250 hunting rifle. (I have NEVER seen any automobile that was blued).

hardworker
October 12, 2010, 04:30 PM
All Beretta 92's are ticking timebombs and will undergo catastrophic locking block failure after 1000 rounds resulting in instant death

38 special bounces off of people on a daily basis

Despite pages of anecdotal evidence to the contrary, hi points are waste of space

essayons21
October 12, 2010, 04:31 PM
(I have NEVER seen any automobile that was blued).

Neither have I, but that idea is GENIUS!

(And the reason guns are blued and not painted is because of the heat issue. High temperature causes paint to peel, and high temp paint was not readily available in the heyday of gun bluing.)

jimmyraythomason
October 12, 2010, 04:33 PM
High temperature causes paint to peel, and high temp paint was not readily available in the heyday of gun bluing.)
Another worthy gun myth. Paint peels because of poor metal preparation. Heat causes paint to cure more quickly.

1KPerDay
October 12, 2010, 04:54 PM
I thought this was a thread about myths? :D ha haaaa!

MikeNice
October 12, 2010, 05:16 PM
Nothing smaller than a .9mm can be used successfully in self defense.

.380acp will not stop an attacker.

Every Sig Sauer and HK are better than any other gun produced, ever.

Only US, Swiss, and German guns are made with any sense of quality.

okespe04
October 12, 2010, 05:16 PM
Guns kill people

KodiakBeer
October 12, 2010, 05:26 PM
To reach the heart or lungs (2" below the surface) you need a bullet with at least 18" of penetration.

TexasRifleman
October 12, 2010, 05:29 PM
In honor of our friend NavyLT, one of his favorites:

"If you leave a magazine loaded the springs will wear out"

JustA19D
October 12, 2010, 06:08 PM
Quote:

Through personal and anecdotal evidence I haven't seen anything to disprove this. I guess if you were hit in the pinky it would be survivable, but I have never seen or heard of anyone surviving a .50 BMG hit, even to the extremities.

I'm sure there is an example out there, I'd be interested in seeing it.

this

Ala Dan
October 12, 2010, 06:14 PM
'Bout 1962, I overheard a pawn shop owner say:

"The .357 magnum Colt Python will burst a car engine block"~! However, he
made NO mention of the .44 magnum. :uhoh: ;) :D

jimmyraythomason
October 12, 2010, 06:15 PM
"The .357 magnum Colt Python will burst an car engine block"~! Using fmj ammo,it aint that hard to do.

Tim the student
October 12, 2010, 06:29 PM

I have seen a guy that should have lived - I can't say if an infection killed him, but then again, bacteria isn't .50BMG.

I've also seen a guy shot in the chest with a 50 that lived long enough for us to treat him before he died. Still had a pulse, and was trying to breathe maybe 4 minutes after he was shot.

surbat6
October 12, 2010, 06:32 PM
Muzzleloaders are so weak, they aren't even lethal.
Iron sights are worthless beyond 100 yards.
The 5.56 bullet tumbles in flight.
You need a .300 Weatherby to shoot a deer at 40 yards.

(I've actually heard all of these)

JustA19D
October 12, 2010, 06:39 PM
I've also seen a guy shot in the chest with a 50 that lived long enough for us to treat him before he died. Still had a pulse, and was trying to breathe maybe 4 minutes after he was shot.

wow, thats impressive.

The 5.56 bullet tumbles in flight

at 600m it de-stabalizes and around 800m it does. atleast for 5.56 nato

Tim the student
October 12, 2010, 06:41 PM
wow, thats impressive.

I guess that guy was "lucky". Never seen any other thing like it. It was amazing.

Gord
October 12, 2010, 06:59 PM
but I have never seen or heard of anyone surviving a .50 BMG hit, even to the extremities.

Imran Zakhaev! :neener:

JustA19D
October 12, 2010, 07:02 PM
wow, thanks for that, really, we need more CoD players on gun forums

jimmyraythomason
October 12, 2010, 07:03 PM
Free floating a rifle's barrel will always make it more accurate.

unspellable
October 12, 2010, 07:10 PM
I don't know about the 50 BMG, but I know of a guy who took a 20 mm dead center in the palm of the hand. Walked away. Can't say it did much for his hand though.

BLACKHAWKNJ
October 12, 2010, 07:19 PM
1. Carcano rifles will blow up in your face.
2. We won the Revolution because we were a Nation of Riflemen, we fought Indian style from behind trees while the British formed orderly ranks in the red coats.

Archie
October 12, 2010, 07:50 PM
Any firearm in the hand of a criminal will kill instantly and under all conditions; however, a homeowner with any firearms will either fail to know how to use said firearm or will kill himself and perhaps several family members in an emergency. Just ask Sarah Brady.

Laws restricting ownership of 'some guns' are a reasonable and needed safety measure. However, laws restricting ownership of 'some cars' is a hideous curtailing of civil rights and free speech.

It is fine to outlaw guns because '...no one needs them.' But outlawing stupid haircuts or stupid hairdos because '... no one needs them' is just too ridiculous to discuss.

ljnowell
October 12, 2010, 08:08 PM
Using fmj ammo,it aint that hard to do.

So, using a soft swaged core bullet with a thin piece of copper on top will give it the ability to break apart a cast iron engine block? Not happening. I have shot many small block chevys and fords with 357 and 44 magnum for shiggles, and it didnt happen. Not gonna happen.

jimmyraythomason
October 12, 2010, 08:13 PM
Not happening Hit an engine block in the right place between the cylinders and ...crack...Not gonna happen. CAN happen. I have also punctured a cast iron heater with 110 grain .357 magnum "police" ammo made by Super-Vel.

Starter52
October 12, 2010, 08:35 PM
AARP membership with every revolver?

Sonny, I'd come over there and kick your caboose, 'cept I can't find my trifocals and I don't remember where I parked the truck.

Joe Demko
October 12, 2010, 08:45 PM
Gun owners are a homogeneous group.

CajunBass
October 12, 2010, 08:46 PM
Inexpensive guns will only fail when they are most needed.

Double Naught Spy
October 12, 2010, 08:54 PM
A .50BMG round will shoot down an airliner at 35,000ft.

Well I don't know about airliners, but .50 BMG has downed many fighters and bombers at altitudes from ground level up beyond 35,000 feet. Of course the guns were at altitude or reasonably close at the time. :neener:

essayons21
October 12, 2010, 09:17 PM

I've seen this sort of thing as well, the human body is an amazing thing. I'm no medical expert, but I doubt even those who hung on for a while would survive without prompt medical attention. There was one tragic incident where a single .50bmg ricochet killed 6 people. One was injured, and survived as far as I know, although I'm not sure if the round actually hit them.

jimmyraythomason
October 12, 2010, 09:22 PM
AARP membership with every revolver?
I wouldn't mind that except AARP is very anti-gun! That's why I throw all of their mailings in the trash unopened. Oh,PS,I love my revolvers!

52grain
October 12, 2010, 10:02 PM
The 5.56 bullet tumbles in flight

Shoot a 77 gr bullet out of a 1:12 twist and it will tumble. That said, normal .223 or 5.56 shot out of a suitable barrel will not tumble.

mdug59
October 12, 2010, 11:06 PM
I swear Honey this is the last gun I'll ever buy

OmutaX
October 12, 2010, 11:19 PM
My teflon coated moly-lead reloads will pierce through armored vests.

WillDe83
October 12, 2010, 11:20 PM
lmao, sounds familiar

Sky
October 13, 2010, 12:51 AM
This chicken plate will stop a .51 cal ( Body armor worn by some Army Aviators )

Gun manufactures make all their own parts.

Agent Orange is not harmful to humans

Depleted Uranium rounds (D.U.s) do not produce microscopic radio active particles/dust and cause 12 times the cancer rates and birth defects among those who work around them. It has to be something else.

They would never do that

Someone much smarter than you and I figured out how to make this thing work!

Vyacheslav
October 13, 2010, 01:30 AM
wow, thanks for that, really, we need more CoD players on gun forums

I personally apologize to you on behalf everyone on this forum who enjoys playing video games, though i don't know what is wrong with it

jeepmor
October 13, 2010, 01:40 AM
A 223 with the same energy as a 45-70 will penetrate just as much and is entirely the same in effectiveness on bear.

ljnowell
October 13, 2010, 01:56 AM
Hit an engine block in the right place between the cylinders and ...crack...

I'll believe it when I see it.

Afterfire
October 13, 2010, 02:19 AM
Never fired a .357/44mag at an engine block but I put 8rds of .45 230gr. fmj into the side of a chryco 3.3 v6 block, nearly vaporized the bullets.

I bet a couple 250gr hardcast .45lc in the right spot could do it, but I'm just speculating.

ljnowell
October 13, 2010, 02:34 AM
Never fired a .357/44mag at an engine block but I put 8rds of .45 230gr. fmj into the side of a chryco 3.3 v6 block, nearly vaporized the bullets.

I bet a couple 250gr hardcast .45lc in the right spot could do it, but I'm just speculating.

I dont doubt that someone could damage an iron block with a large handgun, if shot in just the right spot, but the 357 isnt a block splitter. That myth has been "shot down" time and time again.

Sport45
October 13, 2010, 02:51 AM
but the 357 isnt a block splitter.

But it could drain the oil or water pretty fast. :)

If you shoot someone in the THUMB with a .45ACP it will knock them down.

I've actually heard my dad say that. He's a WWII veteran and from what I can tell, the DI's preached that about the .45acp in basic. He was in a B-29 and never carried a 1911 in combat. So he really had no basis for not believing the instructor at the time.

He's long since realized the silliness of the idea.

Afterfire
October 13, 2010, 03:17 AM
To reach the heart or lungs (2" below the surface) you need a bullet with at least 18" of penetration.

Are you talking about your typical Americans anatomy, 2" below the surface only if they've never heard of the Mickey d's dollar menu. You should see some of the steam rollers I work with, and I'm not talking about our equipment.

Prion
October 13, 2010, 08:12 AM
Are you talking about your typical Americans anatomy, 2" below the surface only if they've never heard of the Mickey d's dollar menu. You should see some of the steam rollers I work with, and I'm not talking about our equipment.

Sad but true.

Ragnar Danneskjold
October 13, 2010, 08:23 AM
That a .50cal round whizzing next to you will rip your arm off.

"If you leave a magazine loaded the springs will wear out"

I have to second that one. It still travels throughout military units like the plague. I can't count how many times I have had to explain compression cycles and metal fatigue to fellow soldiers.

David G.
October 13, 2010, 08:37 AM
A 9mm will put someone in the hospital for a couple of weeks but a .40 cal will drop someone dead like that.

I had that one thrown at me 4 days ago at a gun show as to why I should buy some person's glock 27. Then again it was a gun show.

mcdonl
October 13, 2010, 08:39 AM
"I would buy a used S&W for the same price as that Hi-Point"

Good luck with that one.

Ragnar Danneskjold
October 13, 2010, 09:09 AM
A 9mm will put someone in the hospital for a couple of weeks but a .40 cal will drop someone dead like that.

I had that one thrown at me 4 days ago at a gun show as to why I should buy some person's glock 27. Then again it was a gun show.

The problem with all of the caliber war arguments, is that people seem to always start with the premise of hitting the bad guy exactly once, and judging the caliber from that. No one ever seems to factor in what a miss with a .45 vs four hits with a 9mm will do.

oldfool
October 13, 2010, 09:21 AM
single most dominant gun myth, leastways on gun forums
all liberals hate guns, all conservatives love guns

(all I know is that every wild eyed liberal I know thinks I am a conservative, and every nut-job conservative I know thinks I am a liberal... and they all are probably right.. which mebbe makes me a schizoid wild eyed nut job, I dunno.. but I take solace in the enjoyment of owning and shooting about 40 firearms.. which mebbe proves nobody is truly all bad) ;)

but the knockdown power of caliber X, magazine springs wearing out from being kept loaded, the infernal lock being a sin against god and nature, the demise and/or obsolescence of the modern day revolver, lever action, and/or bolt action... all surely deserve a high place somewhere on the short list !

jimmyraythomason
October 13, 2010, 09:24 AM
Generally, carrying only 5 or 6 rounds is deliberately handicapping yourself, should a violent encounter actually occur.

Bubba613
October 13, 2010, 10:11 AM
A 1911 is an antiquated obsolete design.
Glocks are totally reliable
Revolvers are totally reliable

Oh wait, those are actually all true.

Prion
October 13, 2010, 10:17 AM
every wild eyed liberal I know thinks I am a conservative, and every nut-job conservative I know thinks I am a liberal

Haha! Sounds familiar! Under the radar, that's the way to fly!

Sevenfaces
October 13, 2010, 10:27 AM
Playing video games with guns in it means you now have experience with said guns.

dirtymike1
October 13, 2010, 11:11 AM
Playing video games with guns in it means you now have experience with said guns.

Hhahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..................aaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahaha

While I will admit that I do play CoD a bit, it always makes me laugh when I tell the other people that I'm playing with that I'm leaving to go to the range and they act dumb founded when I tell them I enjoy shooting my AK then playing a video game shooting an AK.

My myth (more so a lack of knowledge) has to be the guy that wanted to report me the the police for owning said AK (it's a Saiga but I've grown tired of trying to explain that to the common Joe that think's I'm a crook for even owning it)

Also, no way no how is it legal to own a full auto or silencer in the US.

jimmyraythomason
October 13, 2010, 11:23 AM
I will admit that I do play CoD a bit Help me out please. I do not know what CoD is.

dirtymike1
October 13, 2010, 11:30 AM
Call of Duty, 99% of the people say that when referring to the lastest game is the series which is Modern Warfare 2.

jimmyraythomason
October 13, 2010, 11:37 AM
Okay,thanks. I'm not into computer/video games so please forgive my ignorance.

dirtymike1
October 13, 2010, 11:55 AM
haha it's alright!

essayons21
October 13, 2010, 12:05 PM
Help me out please. I do not know what CoD is.

It is a very realistic game (as far as video games go), with a slew of modern weaponry, portrayed quite realistically as well. Iron sight pictures are more or less correct, reload procedures, general weapons characteristics.

Most of the questions you see here or on other forums about the ACR, SCAR-H, M-21 EBR, are from CoD gamers who are interested in the real thing.

Personally I think its a great game, and is generating interest in non-gunnies in becoming real shooters.

Nashanthra
October 13, 2010, 12:14 PM
Yeah 2nd essayons21, it is called Call of Duty!

bwsmith2850
October 13, 2010, 04:22 PM
Who can forget 'Glocks will go through metal detectors undetected?'

Magazines should not be fully loaded so the springs don't wear out.

Big_E
October 13, 2010, 04:54 PM
The Mossberg 500/590's aluminum receiver will wear out, whereas the 870's receiver will last forever. Funny they don't say the same about other aluminum receiver shotguns.

A friend said he could get my SAA to "double fire". I don't know what that means but I am guessing getting the hammer to rebound all the way after firing. Never did let him try that.

cougar1717
October 13, 2010, 06:42 PM
Here's a few...

(Enter caliber here) is the minimum handgun caliber for bear defense.

Bear mace is totally ineffective. To defend yourself from bears you must have a gun.

The 10mm is equivalent to the 41mag because the bullet diameter is roughly the same.

260 Rem/ 6.5x55/ (enter other calibers) are the best calibers ever. Do not ever say anything about these calibers being oddball or express difficulty in finding ammo.

I can shoot (enter group size - must be 1 moa or less at any distance if posting on the internet) ALL DAY if I do my part. You must also post photos of your groups at 25 yards.

russ69
October 13, 2010, 07:00 PM
...(And the reason guns are blued and not painted is because of the heat issue. High temperature causes paint to peel, and high temp paint was not readily available in the heyday of gun bluing.)

Bluing is used for a couple of very good reasons, first and foremost is cost, it's a relatively cheap process. The second is that there is no dimensional change to the parts after bluing. There are a bunch of better finishes out there, look at any military rifle, but the cost of the finishes can get to be little too much for best pricing.

Thanx, Russ

unspellable
October 13, 2010, 07:01 PM
Moldy Oldy:

A 32 Special can't hit the side of a barn once the bore has a little wear.

(There's a suggestion this myth got started back before WWII when Winchester got rid of a bunch of 8 mm bullets they had laying around by laoding them in 32 Specials. The 8 mm is undersized for the 32 Special. Maybe true, maybe not.)

trueg50
October 13, 2010, 08:49 PM
"During the Korean war frozen cloth stopped .30 carbine bullets."

"This gun isn't loaded"

^fortunately I have never seen it, but I have heard it happening.. very sad.

Fat Boy
October 13, 2010, 08:58 PM
A family member, now departed from this vale of tears for a better life once told me he believed a fully-choked 12 gauge round would stop an elephant...he was my elder, so I didn't try to correct him.

As for the comment about revolvers and the AARP, I would like to say...wait, what was the question??

parsimonious_instead
October 13, 2010, 09:11 PM
Says Dimis:

>.223 cant kill only wound (same for 5.56)

I've heard "a .223 was designed to wound, and not to kill, because
wounded combatants are a drain on the enemy's resources" many,
many times. Absolute bunk, there are hundreds of thousands of enemy
troops felled by this supposedly inadequate round.

Most probably are.

"blame the shooter first" is a healthy and crucial mentality to instill.

Expensive ones aren't necessarily better, but the important thing is reliability and familiarity, regardless of cost.

Useless? No. Somewhat unwieldy for home defense and dreadfully
unwieldy for combat? Almost certainly. Expensive and punishing
to practice enough to use with skill? Almost certainly.

The Taurus Judge is junk

I just heard an interesting bit about the Taurus Judge on a gun podcast, that made me tilt toward this one not being a myth.

What the heck? That one really surprises me. Even those YouTube yahoos that film their newbie shooter girlfriends and pals firing overpowered guns probably knew darn well they should have started them with .22s.

CoastieShep
October 13, 2010, 09:26 PM
I'm in the USCG and had an officer tell me this one.
We don't shoot to kill, we shoot to wound.
We use the sig .40 hp's.
He's the kind of guy that is always right, no matter how wrong he is.

essayons21
October 13, 2010, 11:33 PM
I'm in the USCG and had an officer tell me this one.
We don't shoot to kill, we shoot to wound.
We use the sig .40 hp's.
He's the kind of guy that is always right, no matter how wrong he is.

I know the type... I think they must teach that in OCS.

Just make sure if you ever have to, shoot to wound multiple times in CoM. :D

stuckinsocal
October 14, 2010, 05:08 AM
If you want a rifle, get an AR.
If you want a defensive rifle, get an AR.
If you want a target rifle, get an AR.
If you want hunting rifle, get an AR.

In short, that the seemingly automatic answer for any rifle question is to get an AR; great gun, but certainly not the end-all, be-all of rifles.

Ragnar Danneskjold
October 14, 2010, 05:28 AM
That's not really a "myth". It's just a suggestion. An AR can fill all of the roles well. An M4gery can be a great defensive rifle. A 20" AR can be a great target rifle. An AR10 can be a great hunting rifle. It's personal preference. I don't really see where the "myth or legend" comes into play.

hill.country
October 14, 2010, 06:29 AM
single most dominant gun myth, leastways on gun forums
all liberals hate guns, all conservatives love guns

This.

Some more myths I've heard people actually say [in one form or another]...

"You don't need to aim a shotgun." [CHL applicant actually said]

"Caliber is more important than shot placement." Usually followed by "and only the only good choice is <X>". Likewise "A .22's never seriously hurt or killed anyone." [Another CHL applicant]

"You don't need to clean your guns unless you drop them or something."

"Bumping or dropping a [modern] firearm will [always] cause it to fire." (And way too many movies use this as a plot device too!)

"A pistol is [always] the best choice for home defense."

"Locking a gun away (and often separate from it's ammunition) improves your home security."

"The more it costs the better the gun."

"Brand "X" guns never jam or mis-feed." Usually followed with "and every other brand is junk".

"Nobody needs more than 10 rounds." or worse still "Nobody lawful needs a gun anymore". *sigh*

CajunBass
October 14, 2010, 07:53 AM
he believed a fully-choked 12 gauge round would stop an elephant...

Had a co-worker tell me that the other day. He said he believed a 12 ga. slug would be better than a .458 for elephant. Oh? Really? Interesting...

Arkansas Paul
October 14, 2010, 09:39 AM
every wild eyed liberal I know thinks I am a conservative, and every nut-job conservative I know thinks I am a liberal

I fit into this catagory as well.

Here's my myths. Two of them dealing with the same thing but opposite extremes.

Anybody that uses a 7mm Magnum or bigger for whitetails is crazy. Ammo is $50 a box and it'll ruin so much meat you won't have anything but hooves and horns to pack home.

and...

That .270 or .243 isn't a good whitetail round. You need a .338 Lapua or a .300 Rem Ultra Mag. They drop em in their tracks no matter what.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people there are on both sides of this.

Carl N. Brown
October 14, 2010, 10:05 AM
I remember in the 1960s that support for gun control was used by doctrinaire "liberals" as a litmus test for (true) liberalism. If you just asked what they meant by gun control or asked how gun control was supposed to affect criminal behavior, that put you beyond the pale no matter how otherwise liberal your politics might be. If liberals or democrats are automatically assumed anti-gun rights and pro-gun bans, it is because their doctrinaire spokespeople have been hammering the theme for decades.

hill.country
October 14, 2010, 03:05 PM
"a handgun is only useful to fight your way to a rifle" [overheard this variation at the range]

"you don't need to practice with a shotgun" [CHL class rumors]

"anyone wanting to carry a gun is either a wannabe cop or is looking for a chance to shoot someone"

And while I've never heard it said, I think a lot of people believe that:

"you're sure to be home if/when you need a gun for defense" and "I'll just _drive_ home to my guns and supplies if there's an emergency" [both of which I find questionable for most people]

Likewise how some people separate gun from magazine/ammo and/or lock away their firarms and expect that they'll be able to get both, perhaps opening a combination safe in the dark (sans electricity) in less time than an intruder can find their bedroom.

or how about... "I have enough practice"... and then three my wife believes:

"I have enough guns", "I have enough ammo", and "this safe is big enough" ;-)

Ragnar Danneskjold
October 14, 2010, 03:11 PM
I would say that there is no such thing as enough practice. But you could conceivably have enough ammo. And certainly enough guns. Even one gun could be enough if you spend the rest of your money on training and ammo for the training. And if you're the type of person who has 20,000 rounds for whatever his pistol(s) is chambered in, whether it's enough depends on how much you shoot.

hill.country
October 14, 2010, 04:01 PM
I would say that there is no such thing as enough practice.

Agreed.

And the "wink" at the end of that line was deliberate - even if my wife thinks all three of those items are true. ;-)

sm
October 14, 2010, 04:19 PM
THE Ultimate Extreme Shotgun, and ammo set up, is a 12 gauge, with 3 1/2 inch 000 buckshot.
In fact...
It will take any dangerous game while on Safari!

Its twue, I read it on the Intraw3bz, on a forum called The Highroad.
If you don't believe me, ask H&H Hunter and Correia and some others around here.

*did-i-win-anything*

Wispa
October 14, 2010, 07:30 PM
Those are all new to me.

New to me too. I have to say some are true because my Glock and AK accomplish what's written. :D :D

Carter
October 14, 2010, 07:52 PM
anyone wanting to carry a gun is either a wannabe cop or is looking for a chance to shoot someone

My parents think that.

One's I've heard/read:
"The 9mm won't save you" Seems pretty popular on Youtube advertisements.

"Guns accidentally go off"

"9mm isn't an effective SD round, but .380 to the chest is man killer"

"An AK is an inferier/archaic weapon"

"30 round magazines are high capacity"

"A semi automatic rifle is an assault rifle"

"A .50BMG rifle will take down airliners in the sky"

"Police (in general) are good shots"

"Every handgun makes a cocking sound when its pulled from the holster"

"Newer rifle designs aren't better than the AR." Gonna catch some flak for that one...

"The 1911/.45 is a real man's choice."

"Newer(ish) calibers aren't worth anything because other calibers can already do what they were designed to do (.357 sig)."

Joe Demko
October 14, 2010, 08:14 PM
Guys who run gunshops actually know what they are talking about.

Admittedly, sometimes true.

Sediment
October 14, 2010, 08:31 PM
My favorite has the be the .22 bullet bouncing around in the body. I usually follow up to this "fact" asking why my .45 ACP round nose round doesn't do the same thing and it weighs at least 5x more.

This usually results in a physics lesson from someone that thinks at small hunk of lead will bounce around, off the bones of course, a human body like a pinball machine. The funny part is letting them keep talking and asking questions. They usually come around and "get" that their reasoning is silly for believing what they was sure was a fact.

Ky Larry
October 14, 2010, 09:10 PM
Higher velocity rounds are always best for hunting.

Real men who know what they're doing always shoot (insert brand here).

The gun just went off.

My cousins friends brother-in-law knows all about guns and he said......

Every thing I own is perfect. Everything you own is junk.

jimmyraythomason
October 14, 2010, 09:14 PM
Every thing I own is perfect. Everything you own is junk. There it is!!!! I see this recurring theme in a LOT of posts!

BrandonFromTampa
October 14, 2010, 09:15 PM
Yeah I never understood the one about needing to go through six racks of pig ribs and three feet of ballistic gelatin before you could count on a round to kill someone. I weigh 300lbs and I'm not two feet thick, not in the heart region anyway. I don't think my belly is two feet thick but I could be wrong. But I thought the magazine spring one was true. If you compress a spring doesn't it lose its strength?

jimmyraythomason
October 14, 2010, 09:17 PM
If you compress a spring doesn't it lose its strength? Even if it does just pretend it doesn't and move on.

SmokeyNY
October 14, 2010, 09:56 PM
Every time you sporterize a mil-surp rifle, god kills a kitten.

Carter
October 14, 2010, 10:42 PM
My favorite has the be the .22 bullet bouncing around in the body.

That actually can happen, and does. Had a LEO tell me about a case where that killed someone.

CZguy
October 14, 2010, 10:58 PM

Now wait a minute, that one may be true...........luckily I'm a dog lover. :D

bwsmith2850
October 14, 2010, 11:29 PM
and then three my wife believes: "I have enough guns", "I have enough ammo", and "this safe is big enough" ;-)

I feel your pain.

russ69
October 14, 2010, 11:48 PM
But I thought the magazine spring one was true. If you compress a spring doesn't it lose its strength?

The metal in a spring will only deform once you are past the yield strength of the metal. The designers/engineers make sure you can't reach the yield point in normal use. The myth comes from the old days when leaf springs were used and they were sometimes very near the yield limit. This doesn't happen with modern designs.

Thanx, Russ

Dimis
October 15, 2010, 04:55 AM
I believe you missed the point these are all myths I have heard

>.223 cant kill only wound (same for 5.56)

I've heard "a .223 was designed to wound, and not to kill, because
wounded combatants are a drain on the enemy's resources" many,
many times. Absolute bunk, there are hundreds of thousands of enemy
troops felled by this supposedly inadequate round.

Again I have heard more times than I want to count that .223 more than likely will NOT kill and ONLY wound on the battle field

I agree that it was designed to wound but thats not what people say in gun shops they just forget the possability of death all together

Most probably are.

Hi-points seem to do well same with Bersa and Ruger isnt what I would call expencive a matter of fact I can think of lots of brands with guns under $500 (my own gauge for expencive) that are not junk and I can think of alot of brands over $500 that have had major issues recalls or other malfunctions

"blame the shooter first" is a healthy and crucial mentality to instill.

I can say that there is an eliment of failure for the device but alot of people would rather "blame the joystick" than admit they are doing something wrong

Expensive ones aren't necessarily better, but the important thing is reliability and familiarity, regardless of cost.

I agree but I have heard alot of people claim "I wont use any gun less than Brand X or that costs under $XXX"
money does not equal quality or training

Useless? No. Somewhat unwieldy for home defense and dreadfully
unwieldy for combat? Almost certainly. Expensive and punishing
to practice enough to use with skill? Almost certainly.

What about target shooting, hunting, or long range sport?
The .50 BMG is used in combat all the time the M2 and the Barrett are not just procurments but in active duty around the globe
Fireing .50BMG in a properly set up rifle is no more punishing than 12gauge buck or slug
Expensive is relative too I have seen members of this forum that "plink" with .50BMG
Too rough to become proficient... just check out Carlos Hathcocks (once) Record holding distance shot. Or the Canadians shot who holds the record now... Both with .50BMG
and alot more people than you would imagine hunt with desert eagles and .50AE

The Taurus Judge is junk

I just heard an interesting bit about the Taurus Judge on a gun podcast, that made me tilt toward this one not being a myth.

care to elaborate?

I own a judge and have put enough rounds through it that if it was gonna break it probably would have by now
Ive heard it all before "its fit and finish are garbage" "Its no good for HD" "Why buy a gun to fire .45LC/.410 when I own XXX"
Its not for everyone I understand but i can assure you its not junk

What the heck? That one really surprises me. Even those YouTube yahoos that film their newbie shooter girlfriends and pals firing overpowered guns probably knew darn well they should have started them with .22s.

Ive heard this at ranges where some He-Man claims you learn better with hard pounding monsterous recoil because hes a big tough guy... a big tough guy who doesnt know the fundamentals and flinches like crazy at that
I learned the um... I guess youd call it the easy way
Brick after brick of .22lr and slowly getting farther away from my target untill I learned propper trigger control and stance etc... (not saying I got it perfect but I at least know when I did it wrong and how to try and correct the problem)

piece of meat
October 15, 2010, 05:02 AM
1. a polymer gun is a 'toy/pop-gun' and a worthless choice for a defense/fighting gun- even if it happens to be chambered in .45- but the same exact .45 bullet fired from a steel 1911 will kill anyone instantly.

2. 'it just went off!! all on its own, it wasnt even loaded! i was just sitting here all innocent, and the evil, sinister gun just went off!!!'

3. and my favorite-commonplace on forums, in magazine reviews, gunshops/shows, etc...: "we shot .00000079 inch groups consistently from 25 yards with this subcompact DA handgun" :rolleyes:

Ragnar Danneskjold
October 15, 2010, 05:05 AM
Too rough to become proficient... just check out Carlos Hathcocks (once) Record holding distance shot. Or the Canadians shot who holds the record now... Both with .50BMG
and alot more people than you would imagine hunt with desert eagles and .50AE

Yeah....in a rifle. Whether a Marine sniper is proficient with the .50cal precision rifle he trains with has nothing to do with whether an extra large frame pistol in .50cal is something sensible to carry.

mcdonl
October 15, 2010, 08:37 AM
That a .22 is not deadly and will only make someone mad

http://www.pressherald.com/news/police-casco-dad-was-shot-accidentally_2010-10-14.html

Tragic proof that's a myth.

parsimonious_instead
October 15, 2010, 09:16 AM
Dimis:

My reply to your points wasn't physically that well constructed. I basically *agreed* that most of the things you said, however...

As for .223, I'm agreeing completely that it's a myth about that round being intended to wound. In fact, I would even think that it might be a violation of the Hague Convention to design rounds for wounding or even instructing troops in general to "shoot to wound" (Possible exception: a precise shot to an identified leadership target to make them combat ineffective but still alive for capture/questioning)

I think you got .50BMG and .50AE mixed up. Different rounds, different purposes. I cannot see the battlefield or home defense utility of a 70+ ounce .50AE pistol of outsize dimensions with really punishing recoil. I wholeheartedly agree that .50 BMG weapons of all sorts have proven their utility again and again throughout the ages, whether they be full auto, bolt action or semiauto.

As for the judge, I wish I could remember all the details of the podcaster's points, but one of them was that if someone you care about is near a bad guy, that shotshell load could easily hurt the wrong person accidentally. I don't recall the podcast questioning the construction quality of the gun, it was more of a case of breaking through the hype and analysing the tactical value of it.

I also was in agreement about blaming the shooter first and the equipment second, especially for beginners, whose lack of accuracy might be due to poor stance/sight alignment or whose mechanical failures might be due to incorrect execution of a any one of the manual actions one has to perform to get a weapon into battery.

As for the .22 thing, well, we may be reading different things in publications and on the Internet. Starting shooters off on mild calibers seems to be a bit of common sense that's surprisingly... common.

Along those lines, I've heard lots about how "puny" the .22 is, and how "surprisingly deadly" it is, but on balance I've heard more about the latter, and I believe it.

The Israeli army supposedly once deployed some precision shooters with .22LR rifles. Their mission was to identify the leaders of the rock and bottle throwing riots and shoot to wound. Their mission essentially failed, because the round would hit a limb and sever an artery, or bounce off bone and cause lethal internal organ injuries. Or they'd miss the supposed "non vital" areas and cause grievous abdominal wounds.

Arkansas Paul
October 15, 2010, 10:34 AM

That's great!!!

jimmyraythomason
October 15, 2010, 10:44 AM
Every time you sporterize a mil-surp rifle, god kills a kitten. That explains why there are no cats around here.

Dimis
October 15, 2010, 02:31 PM
Yeah....in a rifle. Whether a Marine sniper is proficient with the .50cal precision rifle he trains with has nothing to do with whether an extra large frame pistol in .50cal is something sensible to carry.

I believe your being single minded on this... your only looking at COMBAT applications of both rounds and arms
Large game hunters are useing .50BMG more and more to hunt long ranges
And I never said anything about Desert Eagles being a military application or home defense gun or a rediculous carry option my point was that people do use them for hunting and sporting purposes and they are not a useless safe queen or range toy

I think you got .50BMG and .50AE mixed up. Different rounds, different purposes. I cannot see the battlefield or home defense utility of a 70+ ounce .50AE pistol of outsize dimensions with really punishing recoil. I wholeheartedly agree that .50 BMG weapons of all sorts have proven their utility again and again throughout the ages, whether they be full auto, bolt action or semiauto.

No I didnt...
I know the .50BMG is a large rifle round based on a scaled up version of a .30-06 developed for hard targets and long range shooting by John Moses Browning for use in his designed M2 "Ma Duece" machine gun and that it has been in use by our military for decades and civilianly used for long range competition and hunting purposes since the late 80s early 90s thanks to the development of the Barrett Rifles and the custom rifles before those

.50 Action Express was a cartridge developed by IWI to replace its .41 Action Express and be chambered in its new Desert Eagle handgun with hopes of military adoption but it did not take off.
But the civilian market and movie industry took it to the success it has today and MANY MANY MANY people around the world use the DE and .50AE for handgun hunting and other sporting purposes

...also see above

As for the judge, I wish I could remember all the details of the podcaster's points, but one of them was that if someone you care about is near a bad guy, that shotshell load could easily hurt the wrong person accidentally. I don't recall the podcast questioning the construction quality of the gun, it was more of a case of breaking through the hype and analysing the tactical value of it.

again one track combative mind
I stated that they are not junk nor are they useless I never stated the use for them but I have found mine to be a great snake charmer and at close range it will be good for defense (I know I wouldnt want to stand in front of it) but the general purpose I own one is for snakes and just to play with
Just because a firearm isnt a combat piece doesnt render it useless nor does it effect the quality of that piece and render it "junk"

The Israeli army supposedly once deployed some precision shooters with .22LR rifles. Their mission was to identify the leaders of the rock and bottle throwing riots and shoot to wound. Their mission essentially failed, because the round would hit a limb and sever an artery, or bounce off bone and cause lethal internal organ injuries. Or they'd miss the supposed "non vital" areas and cause grievous abdominal wounds.

see picture hehehehe

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=501880&page=2

Toaster
October 15, 2010, 04:02 PM
"Any handgun that costs less than $600 will always jam"
So if I pay $800 or a High Point the extra $650 generates magic waves that will make it jam proof?

"Taurus handguns tend to blow up in peoples hands"
Which is why my favorite t-shirt reads; I bought a Taurus and all i got was this lousy t-shirt and a cool lookiong metal hook for a hand.

" A.50 BMG round passing within four inches of a mans head will rip the skin off his face"
I can't come up with a smart aleck remark that will do justice to that one

jimmyraythomason
October 15, 2010, 04:20 PM
" A.50 BMG round passing within four inches of a mans head will rip the skin off his face"
I can't come up with a smart aleck remark that will do justice to that one But he won't have to shave again.

fedlaw
October 15, 2010, 05:01 PM
My favorite:
"If you have a gun, the BG will just take it away from you and kill you with it."

My favorite answer:
"OK. Let's test that out. You play the BG and try to take my gun from me before I can pull the trigger."

Radium
October 15, 2010, 06:03 PM
that all guns are allways loaded.

jimmyraythomason
October 15, 2010, 06:12 PM
that all guns are allways loaded. Mine are,aren't your's?

Radium
October 15, 2010, 06:16 PM
Mine are,aren't your's?

leagal reasons im not allowed to store loaded firearms in my house :) + im not even allowed to protect myself with it.the goverment belives i should call the police and jump out the window leaving my family in the hands of scumbags :)

as u probably figured out im from the communistic states of europe

jimmyraythomason
October 15, 2010, 06:20 PM
as u probably figured out im from the communistic states of europe From that descrption,you could just as easily been in NYC or New Jersey.

Corey
October 15, 2010, 07:15 PM
If you play with NFA toys for awhile you will hear these lines:

Silencers are completely illegal in the U.S.

Machine guns are completely illegal in the U.S.

You have to have a special "Class 3 permit" to own a silencer or machine gun

Before you can own a silencer or machine gun you have to sign a document giving up all your constitutional rights (I have heard this many times, most recently about 3 weeks ago)

If you own a machine gun or silencer the ATF has the right to search your home any time they want to and as often as they want to.

I have heard all of these more times than I can count

ArmedLiberal
October 15, 2010, 07:17 PM
..... But I thought the magazine spring one was true. If you compress a spring doesn't it lose its strength?

Where do your car springs wear most - while it's parked or while you're driving 60 mph on bumpy roads?

Prion
October 15, 2010, 07:19 PM
Or Mass or Conn or CA.

Ranb
October 15, 2010, 08:55 PM
I was banned from The Firearms Forum for saying silencers are legal and telling those who called me a criminal that they were stupid liars.

Ranb

CZguy
October 16, 2010, 12:35 AM
Where do your car springs wear most - while it's parked or while you're driving 60 mph on bumpy roads?

Springs wear out from cycles, and from being over compressed.

Leaving a spring compressed will not hurt it at all.

I was banned from The Firearms Forum for saying silencers are legal and telling those who called me a criminal that they were stupid liars.

Seems fair.................but is there a point in there somewhere?

kayak-man
October 16, 2010, 04:16 PM
People at work have told me some great ones:

"Why do you need a gun, we live in ________?"

"You could shoot me with a 9mm and it wouldn't do anything, you'd need a .40."

"Glocks are better than 1911s"

"I can out-shoot you"

"Revolvers are only cool when everyone has one"

Ranb
October 16, 2010, 08:33 PM
Seems fair.................but is there a point in there somewhere?
Just that being right is not always enough.

Ranb

CajunBass
October 17, 2010, 02:10 PM
All guns are registered. If you don't believe it watch any cop show on TV.

If by some chance they happen to find one that's not registered, they traced it to a dealer in Virginia that never does background checks.

MikeNice
October 17, 2010, 02:20 PM
Every gun leaves a distinct "ballistic fingerprint" on the bullet coming out of it.

Airborne Falcon
October 17, 2010, 02:57 PM
Demis wrote: If you shoot someone in the THUMB with a .45ACP it will knock them down.

Actually it's, "if you shoot someone in the tip of their middle finger with a 1911 (sic 45 ACP) it will rip their entire arm off at the shoulder."

That's the post WWII myth in it's original and purest form.

essayons21
October 18, 2010, 11:12 AM
Actually it's, "if you shoot someone in the tip of their middle finger with a 1911 (sic 45 ACP) it will rip their entire arm off at the shoulder."

I saw a version of this on History Channel's "Tales of the Gun."

Their supposed "expert" was relating how the .45 ACP and 1911 were so powerful if you hit someone anywhere but in the thumb, they would be knocked to the ground.

1911fan
October 18, 2010, 03:22 PM
Once I read a book that purported to be the memoirs of a Marine Raider. In this book, the author claims that ALL Marine Raiders were armed with Browning Automatic Rifles:scrutiny: and, when the BARs were taken away so that ALL Marine Raiders could be re-armed with Thompson submachineguns, they hated this because the .45 ACP round was so light that a twig or leaf could deflect the bullet.:what:

I also heard the same statement about the 5.56mm during the Viet Nam war. By the same token, this round was also supposed to be so powerful (by virtue of its insane velocity) that if you hit a guy in the little finger with one, not only would it rip his arm completely off but it would corkscrew him waist deep into the ground.:rolleyes:

Another myth: if you shoot a guy with a .22 short, a .25 ACP, or a .32 short, and the guy finds out about it, he's gonna be P.O.ed. Guess all those villains James Bond took out with his .25 Baretta aren't really dead, they're just taking a dirt nap while they plot revenge...:evil:

Say what you like about the .22 long rifle--I accidently watched part of an episode of Swamp People and they were routinely killing alligators with tube-fed Marlin .22 autos. Yes, they took head shots but...I think Wally Gator's skin is significantly tougher than yours, and his skull might even be thicker. Point here is the fact that these guys can take a TWELVE FOOT gator:eek: out with one head shot is unimpeachable testiment to the leathality of the round.

As you can tell by my screen name, I like the .45. The round and the platform have been getting the job done for a century and ammo is readily available. That's good enough for me. Besides, I got picked up by the 101st Abn pistol team in the early '80's, so I learned to shoot 'em pretty good...:D

WWJMBD?

ed

jimmyraythomason
October 18, 2010, 03:26 PM
1911fan,do you remember the name of that "Marine Raider"?

1911fan
October 18, 2010, 03:42 PM
jimmyray--

Hang on for a second while I Google it...I think it may have been titled, Semper Fi, Mac, but I need to check--there was a period where I read a lot of books about the Pacfic War.

Be back RQL,

ed

I'm back--and that wasn't the one, although it's a pretty good read, itself.

So far, the best I can do is a book called The Right Kind of War by John McCormack. It came out in '92 as memoirs, which would have put it in about the right time frame. The library where I got it has a difficult database, so, when I find myself up that way again, I'll try to check in personally and see what I can find. The other option is my wife--she's a research librarian, although not at that particular library. Problem is, she's back to work today after a week's vacation and she probably won't have the time for a couple of weeks.

If I do find the right title, I'll post it as a new topic--jimmyraythompson from 1911fan, re: WWII book.

Still looking--

ed

Joe Demko
October 18, 2010, 04:53 PM
Military "memoirs" can sometimes be a little dodgey on facts. I read one by an American veteran of the Siege of Bastogne wherein it was claimed that a paratrooper carried and fired an M2 .50 cal offhand.

kayak-man
October 18, 2010, 05:13 PM
Guess all those villains James Bond took out with his .25 Baretta aren't really dead, they're just taking a dirt nap while they plot revenge...

Actually, this could explain how all those bad guys in movies keep coming back.

1911fan
October 18, 2010, 05:28 PM
I suppose it could be done--as you pull it off an armored vehicle, the barrel and receiver weigh about 70-some pounds. When I was stationed in Germany (in a self-propelled howitzer unit), one of my jobs was to carry the .50 (barrel and receiver) plus my weapon and all my alert crap down to the track park, during--wait for it--alerts.

Given a fairly big dude, and heavy winter gloves, it's theoretically possible to shoot a .50 from the hip. More likely, and demonstrated by Gunny Ermey, was a .30 cal. Browning. In the A-6 configuration, it came with a shoulder stock and was issued specifically to Airborne troops.

In combat--and in other situations of extreme stress--there's no telling what seemingly normal people are capable of doing.

Not saying, however, that combat memoirs--especially those published forty years on--mightn't have been embellished a little.

ed

icebones
October 18, 2010, 09:04 PM
Heard this one while I was deployed...

"a .50 cal is so powerful that the bullet doesent even have to hit you to kill, the shockwave off the bullet will cut you in half":what:

Always get kicks from 14 year old kids that are special forces sniper ninjas because they play call of duty

dirtymike1
October 19, 2010, 09:10 AM
Here's one for the large cal people on here. I was told years ago that a 105mm SABOT round, traveling at I believe 2.5miles per second (that's how it was told to me at least...) doesn't need to hit you to kill you. The example that I was told went like this.

If shot into a small room through a window, the pressure of the round traveling into the room would be enough to kill, I'm guessing by stopping the persons heart. I know it doesn't take much of a concussive blast to kill, only 15-20psi IIRC, but would a tank round have enough force to do this?

ArmedLiberal
October 19, 2010, 09:45 AM
Hmmm

2.5 miles/sec x 5800 feet/mile = 14,500 feet/sec or 9,000 miles/hour.

That's moving pretty fast. Maybe if you could get a 105mm SABOT round moving that fast you really would kill a room full of people just with the shock wave.

I think were talking SciFi rail gun speeds though. Come back in thirty years or so and maybe we'll have that up and running.

Escape velocity for planet Earth is what? 22,000 miles per hour?

Here's a bit of Wikipedia

Typical velocities of APFSDS rounds vary between manufacturers and muzzle length/types. As a typical example, the American General Dynamics KEW-A1 has a muzzle velocity of 1,740 m/s (5,700 ft/s).[2] This compares to 914 m/s (3,000 ft/s) for a typical rifle (small arms) round. APFSDS rounds generally operate in the range of 1,400 to 1,900 m/s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_energy_penetrator

Alec
October 19, 2010, 09:48 AM
I know it doesn't take much of a concussive blast to kill, only 15-20psi IIRC, but would a tank round have enough force to do this?

You don't think 15-20 psi is very much? I can tell you, if the air pressure of the room I'm in suddenly increased by 20 psi, I would be surprised if I lived. It's equivalent to the pressure of about 35 feet of water.

Whether a tank round could do that, I cannot say.

dirtymike1
October 19, 2010, 10:09 AM
Sorry, the thinking cap wasn't on tight when I wrote all that.

Ok so they travel at about a mile per second, still damn fast.

Alec, my first thought about psi was in a car tire, if it's at 15 psi it's pretty much flat...

jimmyraythomason
October 19, 2010, 10:14 AM
psi was in a car tire, if it's at 15 psi it's pretty much flat... I ran 12 psi in my drag slicks when I raced. A tire on my daughter's car has a slow leak and won't even register on the pressure guage but you can't tell it is low by looking at it.

essayons21
October 19, 2010, 02:35 PM
suppose it could be done--as you pull it off an armored vehicle, the barrel and receiver weigh about 70-some pounds. When I was stationed in Germany (in a self-propelled howitzer unit), one of my jobs was to carry the .50 (barrel and receiver) plus my weapon and all my alert crap down to the track park, during--wait for it--alerts.

Given a fairly big dude, and heavy winter gloves, it's theoretically possible to shoot a .50 from the hip. More likely, and demonstrated by Gunny Ermey, was a .30 cal. Browning. In the A-6 configuration, it came with a shoulder stock and was issued specifically to Airborne troops.

In combat--and in other situations of extreme stress--there's no telling what seemingly normal people are capable of doing.

Not saying, however, that combat memoirs--especially those published forty years on--mightn't have been embellished a little.

ed

I once fired a .50 cal w/ blanks (and attached BFA), sorta offhand with most of the weight of the weapon resting on a jersey barrier. It was entirely uncontrollable, and the recoil even with blanks was unpleasant. I wouldn't want to think what it would be like firing live rounds without the gun mounted to something solid.

I agree, more likely it was some trooper firing a M1919 .30cal, not necessarily even an A6, there were quite a few with soldier improvised slings and stocks.

CoastieShep
October 19, 2010, 08:54 PM
Yeah, pretty sure I remember it was the M1919. Ran up to a pill box, stuck the muzzle in and fired. Had to keep running back to grab another can of ammo. Sucker blows through 100 rounds pretty quick.

CZguy
October 19, 2010, 10:47 PM
I ran 12 psi in my drag slicks when I raced. A tire on my daughter's car has a slow leak and won't even register on the pressure guage but you can't tell it is low by looking at it.

15 psi can be pretty dangerous.

The human body (in good shape) is capable of producing up to 4 psi.

(Think of blowing up a balloon)

whalerman
October 19, 2010, 10:58 PM
The more money we spend on schools the smarter our kids will be.

Now this has more to do with guns than most people might think.

blackwalnut
October 19, 2010, 11:08 PM
I am sure that all of you have heard that if you dont vote the school levy in (and raise your taxes still higher!) that your kids wont have football! Hey what about an education?

One teacher told me that archery was too expensive to have as part of the physical education program but football and soccer were important to the development of the students.

I have not been on the highroad since early September and I can see after reading some of the so-called gun myths that there is still plenty of bashing going on especially with 1911 experts bashing everything else. Take your chill pills and get real. This is why I dont visit the Highroad much anymore.

whalerman
October 19, 2010, 11:17 PM
Hey Blackwalnut, I'm a Glock guy, but I understand the 1911 guys. Don't worry about it. Welcome back. Hang around. Maybe you need to take that chill pill.

DasFriek
October 20, 2010, 03:42 AM
Did the .45acp round as the best handgun round ever finally get decided that its no myth?

Ragnar Danneskjold
October 20, 2010, 03:47 AM
Did the .45acp round as the best handgun round ever finally get decided that its no myth?

Nope. And doing so might prove difficult as it's not. =)

parsimonious_instead
October 20, 2010, 08:54 AM
Coastie: Do an internet search for Tony Stein. (Marine, Iwo Jima, 1945). He used such a converted weapon to destroy quite a few Japanese pillboxes and gave excellent covering fire to his fellow Marines.

jimmyraythomason
October 20, 2010, 08:59 AM
Do an internet search for Tony Stein. (Marine, Iwo Jima, 1945). He used such a converted weapon to destroy quite a few Japanese pillboxes and gave excellent covering fire to his fellow Marines. Didn't he do all this while barefoot? (I saw it on the History Channel)Recipient of the CMOH for it.

dirtymike1
October 20, 2010, 12:23 PM
Not a gun myth but...

There is no such thing as the Congressional Medal of Honor. He do however have a Medal of Honor that awarded by the President in the name of Congress.

hardworker
October 20, 2010, 12:31 PM
another myth:

cheap ammo

ChCx2744
October 20, 2010, 07:28 PM
^ That's a myth AND an oxymoron haha

CoastieShep
October 20, 2010, 09:51 PM
Thanks parsimonious. Remember seeing it, just couldn't remember the name or place.

Roan
December 5, 2010, 11:35 AM
I once had a fellow soldier (about 4 years ago) tell me that no one had ever survived a direct hit from a Mauser in WWII, no matter where it hit.

cmat
December 5, 2010, 02:39 PM
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

kayak-man
December 5, 2010, 09:06 PM
Some of my other favorite myths:

The AR needs to be cleaned to run well
The AR is exceptionaly reliable, and just needs to be lubed
(Hey, only one can be true, right?)

The GLOCK is the best hand gun ever.
The 1911 is the greatest pistol in the world.

Hi Points are junk

jlrhiner
December 5, 2010, 09:55 PM
I think that MG that was used by that Marine on Iwo was taken from a Navy bomber and they had done a field conversion on it. Something like sights from a BAR, stock from an M1 that kind of thing. The big difference was the cyclic rate of fire, which was something like 1200 rpm.

FROGO207
December 5, 2010, 11:05 PM
How about---females don't know how to shoot accurately. I saw that one blown out O the water about 5 min later by my then GF who was a retired LEO. LMAO when the guy that stated the above missed 9 out of 15 with his wonder pistol to her chewing the bull out of said target using his pistol afterwards.:D

CeilingCat
December 5, 2010, 11:11 PM
haha I handed my mom a M1 Carbine and she proceeded to shame both my dad and I in the first few clips. Didn't do too bad with the m94 either.

I would have said "diving into water to escape gunfire". But Mythbusters showed .50 and almost all high velocity rounds breaking up shortly after hitting water.

Carl N. Brown
December 19, 2010, 01:52 AM
When a manufacturer advertises a gun finish as being "finger print proof" he is not talking about CSI not being able to lift prints from the gun after you use it in a crime. Finger prints contain salts and acids that rust steel and iron; a gun finish that is finger print proof is one that won't rust from finger prints. Guns are hard to lift finger prints from, period.

A federal prosecutor who blogs about TV shows posted this:
Allison Leottaon, "The Top 5 Things TV Crime Shows Get Wrong", http://allisonleotta.com/blog/ 9 Dec 2010

1. You won’t get fingerprints off that gun. Sorry, not gonna catch the killer that way. Usable prints are notoriously tough to get, and guns are the worst surface to get them from. .... When I use a fingerprint expert, it’s usually to educate the jury on why there aren’t prints on the gun. ....

The other four ponts aren't necessarily about guns; her blog analyses each episode of Law'n'Order SVU based on her experience as a sex crimes prosecutor.

ChronoCube
December 19, 2010, 03:00 AM
Expanding/fragmenting ammo is prohibited by the Geneva Convention.

(It's actually the Hague Convention.)

Nar
December 19, 2010, 03:36 AM
"Putting a laser or scope on a gun makes it impossible to miss your target"

Steve Marshall
December 19, 2010, 08:49 AM
How about how vastly underpowered the .308 is compared to 30-06? In truth, the average 150-ish grain bullet is faster in the .308 at 2750 fps versus 2700 fps for the
30-06.

therewolf
December 19, 2010, 09:40 AM
My old-time favorite:

"A body shot from a .45ACP will pick you up in the air, flip you around 360 degrees, then you'll fall to the ground dead, and all your hair,(white by then)
teeth and eyes will fall out. And your ears will fall off. AND your descendants will all get cancer...":rolleyes:

ironhead7544
December 19, 2010, 10:09 AM
"Bullets from an M16 tumble." This one probably came from the early guns in RVN. There was no chrome lining to protect the throat and they wore out quickly when fired on full auto. I worked in a weapons shop when I was in the Army 69-72. When rifles with the old barrels came in they showed clear sdieways holes in paper at 25 yards.

"In RVN, they could use our ammo in their guns but we couldnt use theirs."

"The 357 Magnum will penetrate an engine block." With the right ammo a 357 might penetrate some engines thin water jacket but you might have to take the motor out of the car to do it. And then hit it in just the right spot.

therewolf
December 19, 2010, 10:17 AM
Yanno, that whole engine block thing assumes a cast iron Detroit V8 from the big three.

It also assumes nominally jacketed slugs.

You take a four cylinder cast aluminum engine with a large caliber steel bullet, and it will cut through that block like crap through a goose.

In general terms, though, I would have to agree that to disable a car, the fastest surefire way would be to hole the radiator. Coolant pressure goes
to zero, engine overheats. Every time.

jollyroger
December 19, 2010, 10:55 AM
Allison Leottaon, "The Top 5 Things TV Crime Shows Get Wrong", http://allisonleotta.com/blog/ 9 Dec 2010

1. You wonít get fingerprints off that gun. Sorry, not gonna catch the killer that way. Usable prints are notoriously tough to get, and guns are the worst surface to get them from. .... When I use a fingerprint expert, itís usually to educate the jury on why there arenít prints on the gun. ....

Not to disparage the good prosecutor, but you CAN get latent prints off a gun. The determining factor is the surface: a polished surface will hold a latent print, while a parkerized surface or rough-texured metal or plastic will not. I've gotten usable latents off a S&W 4506 slide, a beretta 950, several bryco's, etc.: fuming with super glue and sometimes just using powder and lifts. Even if the gun is parkerized, the mags are often smooth steel and will hold a print. Just sayin.

Cokeman
December 19, 2010, 08:05 PM
My old-time favorite:

"A body shot from a .45ACP will pick you up in the air, flip you around 360 degrees, then you'll fall to the ground dead, and all your hair,(white by then)
teeth and eyes will fall out. And your ears will fall off. AND your descendants will all get cancer...":rolleyes:

I thought you had to smash through a window and fall to the street below and then fall to the ground dead.

Tommygunn
December 19, 2010, 08:28 PM
Not to disparage the good prosecutor, but you CAN get latent prints off a gun. The determining factor is the surface: a polished surface will hold a latent print, while a parkerized surface or rough-texured metal or plastic will not. I've gotten usable latents off a S&W 4506 slide, a beretta 950, several bryco's, etc.: fuming with super glue and sometimes just using powder and lifts. Even if the gun is parkerized, the mags are often smooth steel and will hold a print.

True but what makes polished surfaces on guns so hard is that it is real easy to smear the body oils around and mess the print up. I've tried it. If you deliberatly place your finger on the surface and remove it straight away you leave a beautiful print that will scream your identity, but start handling the gun in any realistic way and you get smudges almost immediatly.

RimfireChris
December 20, 2010, 03:39 PM
The .17HMR is better in every respect than the .22 WMR.

If you own a -fill in your choice of holster, gun, other gear here-you're a mall ninja, Walter Mitty, wannabe, poser or all the above.

We don't have to worry about gun control, we just elected xxx to office.

Someone who works in a gun store, law enforcement, the millitary, shooting range told me so, it has to be right!

gossamer
December 20, 2010, 05:44 PM
"You can't learn to shoot accurately with a 45acp. Start with a .22"

"You can't conceal a full-frame 45acp."

"You won't stop anyone with a 9mm, it goes right through them and they keep on coming."

"Now that Obama is President and the Democrats are in charge we HAVE to charge a fortune for ammunition because they are going to make it illegal to buy it."

"Places with 'no guns' signs will never change or allow guns."

jonmerritt
December 21, 2010, 12:31 AM
at 600m it de-stabalizes and around 800m it does. atleast for 5.56 nato
thats BS...

goon
December 21, 2010, 12:54 AM
"I bought a pump action 12 gauge because it's the best home defense gun. All I have to do is rack the slide and it sends the bad guns running for their lives. Obviously, I'll never need to worry about firing a shot. I didn't even buy any ammo... because I'd just have to pick my shells up off the floor after I got done racking the action."

stanger04
December 21, 2010, 01:01 AM
I swear officer it wasn't loaded

henschman
December 21, 2010, 01:36 AM
A .50 BMG doesn't have to hit you to kill you... if it flies close by you the shock wave it makes in the air will kill you.

A bullet rises when it leaves the barrel because of the twist.

A scope makes your rifle more accurate.

The higher power your scope is, the more accurate it makes your rifle).

Being able to shoot a sub-MOA group with your rifle rested front and rear, vise-clamped to a bench, and pulling the trigger while sitting in a lawn chair leaned over the bench with your ass crack hanging out like a plumber makes you a skilled Rifleman and deadly sniper.

Good marksmanship can be bought with match-grade barrels/ammo and an expensive scope.

You need a scope to see/hit targets farther away than 300 yards.

Glocks are plastic POSes that will jam if you squeeze the grip too hard and will melt if you put them in the microwave.

A reciprocating bolt handle makes your rifle less reliable... it will make it jam if you shoot it on it's side with the bolt handle on the ground, whereas a rifle with a non-reciprocating bolt will work just fine shooting it with the ejection port against the ground.

An AK is a 100-yard rifle.

The 5.56 was designed to wound, not kill.

The 5.56 bullet breaks apart and the pieces bounce around inside the body when you shoot somebody.

Firepower means the number of rounds you can put downrange in a given amount of time (and has nothing to do with the amount of hits you can make in a given amount of time)!

More rounds in the air equals more casualties (the Pentagon's reasoning when it adopted the M-16).

A fully automatic weapon is a much more effective killing machine than a semi automatic one.

M-16s were made by Mattel during Vietnam.

A rifle is accurate if it can fire 1 inch groups (with no mention of what range they are fired at).

The founding fathers were not the great marksmen they are cracked up to be, and modern shooters would put them to shame.

There is no way armed citizens could win against the government like they did in the Revolution... people with rifles cannot take on a government with attack helicopters, tanks, and laser-guided bombs.

The 2nd Amendment gives us the right to keep and bear arms.

I don't need any marksmanship instruction... I kill my deer every year.

I do not get my fat, lazy ass off the couch to do anything to promote liberty at a time when it is relatively easy to do so, but if things get really bad, you will have to pry my gun from my cold dead hands don't tread on me liberty or death molon labe blah blah blah.

Tim the student
December 21, 2010, 01:54 AM
i do not get my fat, lazy ass off the couch to do anything to promote liberty at a time when it is relatively easy to do so, but if things get really bad, you will have to pry my gun from my cold dead hands don't tread on me liberty or death molon labe blah blah blah.

hahahaha!!!

xcgates
December 21, 2010, 08:19 AM
Glocks are plastic POSes that will jam if you squeeze the grip too hard and will melt if you put them in the microwave.

I sure would like to see the fireworks though! Won't be good for either machine!

Firepower means the number of rounds you can put downrange in a given amount of time (and has nothing to do with the amount of hits you can make in a given amount of time)!

Well to be fair, most bullets fired by our soldiers are for supression, not directly aimed at an individual person. Or so I've been told by many reliable sources.

greenkid98
December 21, 2010, 09:20 AM
"Assault rifles" are more deadly than a "regular" rifle.

If i shoot someone with a 12g they will fly throught the air for 20 feet through a double pane window.

Ghosty1
December 21, 2010, 09:37 AM
wahahaaah

the famous glock 7 was ceramic, btw...

this is funny stuff!

porcelain, ceramic, plastic, tupperwar, plastic...ah man.

seriously guys. this thread is HILARIOUS!

...um this will suck... there is no "real" UN small arms treaty...and a mauser 98k is a small arm... NOT

lame i know. off to bed! keep em comin!

-G

chriske
December 21, 2010, 09:37 AM
The "plowhandle" stocks of a Single Action revolver fits every hand

henschman
December 21, 2010, 04:33 PM
More people are killed every year by .22 LR than any other type of gun (usually invoked when somebody mentions how weak a .22 LR is).

Bullets fired straight up in the air come down and kill people.

A .22 LR can kill somebody 1 mile away.

The whole idea of "bulletproof vests."

The M-16 is self-cleaning (that's what they told the troops when it first came out).

Somebody must be a good shot if they are in the police, military, etc.

Since I have a lot of guns and ammo stockpiled, I will be OK when society breaks down.

(x weapon) is so powerful and destructive that it will bring an end to war.

eye5600
December 22, 2010, 05:13 PM
"In RVN, they could use our ammo in their guns but we couldnt use theirs."
I heard this when I was in Vietnam. The idea was they could use .50 Cal in their machine guns but we couldn't use their .51 Cal. I can't speak to the truth.

M-16s were made by Mattel during Vietnam.

I also heard this one. I think there might have been a germ of truth. Mattel, or some associated company, might have been a subcontractor for some plastic parts.

CZguy
December 22, 2010, 08:50 PM
I also heard this one. I think there might have been a germ of truth. Mattel, or some associated company, might have been a subcontractor for some plastic parts.

Mattel didn't manufacture any parts of the M-16, but I heard the same thing when I went in the service in 1971.

KodiakBeer
December 22, 2010, 09:16 PM
"A body shot from a .45ACP will pick you up in the air, flip you around 360 degrees, then you'll fall to the ground dead, and all your hair,(white by then) teeth and eyes will fall out. And your ears will fall off. AND your descendants will all get cancer..."

And nothing will grow on your grave for at least 100 years.

2GunsWest
December 22, 2010, 09:47 PM
LMAO. This thread is excellent.

Thanks, Gang.

Rusty Shackleford
December 22, 2010, 11:32 PM
They are police officers/military, so they are more accurate and know more about shooting that any civilian...

Marines are very good shots from what I've seen so far, but police... Ha!

speaksoftly
December 22, 2010, 11:43 PM
AK's are indestructible.

Glocks make a cocking sound when unholstered.

.45 and 10mm are the only rounds that can kill with one shot, and they do it every time.

If you have 1000 posts or more on a gun forum, you MUST know what you're talking about.

Criminals follow gun laws.

Safety's on guns are for rookies.

The more guns you have, the better you shoot.

Buying a $2000 1911 will make you among the most accurate and deadliest of shooters.

jtpickensj
December 24, 2010, 03:21 AM
A round from a shotgun will explode a mans head like a melon
Semi autos automatically make one a criminal
You can't hunt with semi auto assault rifle clones
Magnum cartridges will explode heads
A high powered rifle can decapitate a man
If you are driving a vehicle you can shoot while hanging out the window and not wreck
All high powered firearms will knock you back ten feet and rip your arms off.

therewolf
December 24, 2010, 01:58 PM
c'mon jtpickens,

Dintcha know your arms just fall off voluntarily?:D

How about: A Desert Eagle(any caliber) will make you an expert shot...

mgregg85
December 24, 2010, 05:59 PM
I think the most oft repeated myth/legend I've heard is the whole "just rack a shotgun and the intruder will have an instant heart attack and die without you even needing to pull the trigger".

cambeul41
December 24, 2010, 06:13 PM
Nothing smaller than a .9mm can be used successfully in self defense.

Is there anything even that small?

Erik M
December 24, 2010, 06:59 PM
I've always chuckled when someone refers to .45 Hollow Points as "flying ashtrays" since its a bit of an overstatement.

MistWolf
December 24, 2010, 07:02 PM
You guys kill me....

altitude_19
December 25, 2010, 02:47 AM
"Cleaning your M16 by inserting the cleaning rod through the muzzle instead of the chamber will cause it to explode upon firing it next."

YES, I've heard it can screw with accuracy...the kind of accuracy my rifle never needed anyway.

timney t
December 25, 2010, 03:09 AM
454 casull has so much kick it is to hard for most shooters.

myth.

1911Tuner
December 25, 2010, 08:03 AM
How about how vastly underpowered the .308 is compared to 30-06? In truth, the average 150-ish grain bullet is faster in the .308 at 2750 fps versus 2700 fps for the
30-06.

If I remember my US Service ammunition specs correctly....and it's been a while since I've seen the field manuals....2700 fps was for the M1 ball round that used the heavier bullet. IIRC, that was 175 grains. The later .caliber 30 M2 Ball used a 152 grain bullet at 2805 fps. I know that it's splitting hairs, because an advertised velocity difference of 50 fps means squat, and there's not enough difference in performance between the the M1 Ball and the 7.62 Nato rounds to even argue over.

Carl N. Brown
January 1, 2011, 10:24 PM
.... Usable prints are notoriously tough to get, and guns are the worst surface to get them from. ....
Not to disparage the good prosecutor, but you CAN get latent prints off a gun.
The elipses included discussion of the problems with gun surfaces. The question is, what percentage of guns can you get usable prints from? While you can, how often can you? The rate w/o usable prints is significant. TV viewers seem think you can get fingerprints every time from anything, and I suspect the percentage is not as high as expectations created by TV CSI shows.

S&W-Keeper
January 2, 2011, 02:16 AM
Forcing cone's on K-frame magnums will split if fired a lot with 125 gr bullets.Anybody ever see one.

SharpsDressedMan
January 2, 2011, 08:50 AM
I'm a shooting legend in my own mind..........:cool::):p

sappnasty
January 2, 2011, 09:22 AM
I read all of these and this is the best one I've heard yet...Originally Posted by mdug59

I actually lol'd...lol

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Myths and Legends" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!