Canada: Operation Zero Tolerance

PDA

m500'92
October 12, 2010, 08:53 PM
http://www.nfa.ca/operation-zero-tolerance

The Police Chiefs are after Canadians' guns again and will try to ignore privacy and other rights to do so.:

It has come to the attention of Canada's National Firearms Association that the political police chief heads of law enforcement associations are planning a nation wide blitz against licensed firearms owners, as retribution for the political action of the Canadian firearms community that has resulted in the final vote in parliament of Manitoba MP Candice Hoeppner's Bill C-391

If you enjoyed reading about "Canada: Operation Zero Tolerance" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Big_E
October 13, 2010, 03:48 PM
Funny, I have met a lot of Canadian's that moved here to the US and love it (most of them anyway). Most of them are from Alberta or BC, which I guess is the more conservative side of Canada.

It's too bad there is so much anti-American and anti-gun sentiment up there because they seem like really nice people.

I fear Canada will turn into the UK because their RKBA numbers seem to be really weak. Doesn't the NRA have a Canadian branch? Wonder what they are doing for them.

KBintheSLC
October 13, 2010, 06:13 PM
Home inspections will be performed on an ever increasing basis on firearms owners with more than ten registered firearms, and all restricted and prohibited firearms owners.

Next time someone asks me why registration schemes are bad I'll have a good answer. I wonder how many gov agents will get whacked doing door-to-door gun grabs. If they did that here in the states, the BATFE would run out of living agents before they got through the first state.

m500'92
October 13, 2010, 06:22 PM
"Just to keep on track, they don't have any guarantees on firearms ownership, so they are at the mercy of the government for their gun rights, I'm glad we are not in that boat."

That is widely thought but it is also false, We have the right to keep and bear arms under Common Law, and much of the rights for gun ownership and such are in the Charter Of Rights and Freedoms, the gun registry violated 17 of these. The govt. just doesn't take rights seriously in this country and does whatever it wants. And we don't have the NRA, which is a great benefit I think.

Jumping Frog
October 13, 2010, 08:08 PM
If the Canadians want freedom, maybe it is time for them to ponder the lessons taught by Henry Bowman. It is a real shame that Unintended Consequences is out of print.

rbernie
October 13, 2010, 08:20 PM
Discussing Canadian gun laws and issues is on topic; bashing Canada or Canadians is not. Let's not get this thread locked down because we couldn't behave, OK?

UltraMag1981
October 14, 2010, 09:38 AM
I just don't understand why the government up here seems to want to punish the legal gun owners every time a criminal commits a crime with a gun! The people who register their guns are more than likely not ever going to commit any crime. Maybe the government should just tighten up on all the bad people out there and do random searches of all of their homes. Maybe I'll just move to Texas lol

ultradoc
October 14, 2010, 09:46 AM
Rode the Harley to Canada from Ohio this past summer to burn up some vacation time. Was thinking about taking a pistol but decided against it. Got to the border and the customs gal asked if I was bringing in any weapons or if I had anything to declare [I think that's how she asked it] and to be ornery I said I have a multi tool. :]

thunder173
October 14, 2010, 10:53 AM
I realize the Canadians have some "different" laws and views on firearms that many of us,..as well as our Canadian brethren,.... do not necessarily care for. However,..they are the law up there,..and we as guests need to recognize that.

I personally made two fishing trips up there this summer. I took firearms north with me both times,... in light of where we would be fishing. Wasn't that difficult of a process at all, though it did require a small fee,..and some paperwork. Even found that I could take a (GASP!!!)....HANDGUN,..... up as well.

The most important thing I found out was something I already knew from many trips up to Canada over the years,..and from traveling around the world.

This is what I learned: I learned that in most instances,..regardless of the nation traveled,...if you treat folks the way you would want to be treated yourself,..and showed a bit of courtesy, and some respect for the folks you meet,..regardless of nationality,..you will most likely be treated the same way in return. If you are demanding, disrespectful and in general playing the loudmouthed American jerk,...guess what? You will most likely be treated the same way in return. Go figure.

So,..for the U.S. folks that disagree with the Canadian laws,..here's a solution,....DON'T GO THERE!!!

For the Canadian's who have no choice;...press for changes in your laws.

As for me,..I will continue to travel north,..taking firearms with me when I can,...and will enjoy the hospitality of some pretty fine folks.

YMMV......Have a GREAT Day!!!!

doc2rn
October 14, 2010, 01:08 PM
My best friend who is a member of this board living in Kansas, is Canadian. He keeps telling me if he ever has to go back that I am to keep his guns until his return to the civilized South. If you have longguns only they have to scedule an appointment to inventory your weapons. If you have a pistol they can just walk in anytime they want, ie warrantless search. SO maybe things are carried a bit overboard due to weapon selection. I am still hopeful that one day those fine Kanuks will stand up for their personal rights to self defense.

m500'92
October 14, 2010, 01:37 PM
"For the Canadian's who have no choice;...press for changes in your laws."

Random searches are illegal here, so it would be hard to press for further laws against them. They also have a police database on every gun owner in Canada it seems (also illegal due to privacy rights and such). This is the Firearms Interest Police, over 3.5 million in the database (http://www.garrybreitkreuz.com/breitkreuzgpress/Guncontrol31.htm). And the gun registry was fought and lost just a couple months ago, by one vote due to the liberal leader forcing his minions against it (with disciplinary actions happening if they gave their honest vote) and the NDP leader persuading most of his against as well. And there's far too few gun owners to stand up and fight, with peaceful protestors they just arrest the leader usually (raid his home etc.).

thunder173
October 14, 2010, 01:52 PM
Never said it'd be easy. Takes the will of the people to correct those kinds of wrongs........and often a change in political leadership.

Random searches are illegal here

So,...what are folks doing to try to stop that from occuring,..or to punish those that break those laws??

They also have a police database on every gun owner in Canada it seems (also illegal due to privacy rights and such).

Same as above,...what actions are being taken to demand that those data bases be dismantled if they are in fact illegal??

This is the Firearms Interest Police, over 3.5 million in the database (http://www.garrybreitkreuz.com/breit...ncontrol31.htm). And the gun registry was fought and lost just a couple months ago, by one vote due to the liberal leader forcing his minions against it (with disciplinary actions happening if they gave their honest vote) and the NDP leader persuading most of his against as well. And there's far too few gun owners to stand up and fight, with peaceful protestors they just arrest the leader usually (raid his home etc.). [/I]

I feel for you all,...but,..the issue is one that must be addressed first politically, and from within, ....It seems to me you have a more serious issue than controversial,...(spell that goofy),..gun laws. It appears that your political leadership has ran amuck,...not at all unlike what is occuring here in the states btw,...

Prince Yamato
October 14, 2010, 06:44 PM
To keep this back on track, can you (Canadians) please cite your RKBA as enumerated in the Charter of Rights? I'm kind of curious about this. Canadian gun laws weren't really "bad" until 1996ish, if I have that right. I'd like to know how many of those laws violate the Charter of Rights and how they do so. To echo the American saying, I'd like to know if: "The Charter of Rights is my Prohibited Weapons Permit".

m500'92
October 14, 2010, 07:47 PM
Here are a few websites that shows the Canadian Right To Keep & Bear Arms.

http://www.rkba.ca/
Our right to keep and bear arms in our own or the country's defense comes from exactly the same place as the American one -- English Common Law, the English Bill of Rights 1689, the writings of Sir William Blackstone in his Commentaries on English Law, and others. All these laws (and indeed the full body of English Law), became part of Canadian law on our Confederation in 1867 with the affirmation of the British North America (BNA) Act.

http://www.lufa.ca/quickfacts.asp
http://www.garrybreitkreuz.com/firearmsquickfacts.htm
NUMBER OF CHARTER RIGHTS VIOLATED BY THE FIREARMS ACT = 12

http://www.garrybreitkreuz.com/publications/violatescharterofrightsandfreedom.htm
Section 26 of the Charter confirms the continuing enjoyment of common law and statutory rights not enumerated in the Charter, but recognised in Anglo-Canadian law and jurisprudence. Two such rights are the right to bear arms and the right to own property. The Firearms Act sharply restricts both of these ancient rights.

Big Bill
October 14, 2010, 09:05 PM
"Just to keep on track, they don't have any guarantees on firearms ownership, so they are at the mercy of the government for their gun rights, I'm glad we are not in that boat."That's almost laughable! We ARE in the same boat. Do you honestly think the current regime gives a crap about the second amendment?

Prince Yamato
October 15, 2010, 07:15 PM
Here are a few websites that shows the Canadian Right To Keep & Bear Arms.

I realize that some folks down here in the US are going to adopt a "who cares, it's Canada" policy when it comes to reading these documents, but I find the references to English Common Law very intriguing. It also gives an even better insight into our Second Amendment. Canadians basically had a RKBA arms before America was even created.

m500'92
October 15, 2010, 09:18 PM
So,...what are folks doing to try to stop that from occuring,..or to punish those that break those laws??

Well it's the RCMP, they do what they want. Most of the problems are in Ontario. But take this for example, one officer in Houston, BC, shot a guy in the BACK of the head, and it was ruled self defense. I personally don't see how it would be possible to shoot anyone in the back of the head out of self defense, especially when you try standing it against our self defense laws.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2007/05/22/bc-inquest.html

There have been many times that the courts decide what the RCMP is doing is illegal (especially when it comes to searches) and they usually just say the ruling won't interfere with how they do their work. They searched a whole community in Ontario (around 2000 homes I think), first just asking for permission without warrants, but also stating they will just come back later with them if they don't allow it. (There's actually supposed to be some kind of evidence to do a search)

Also the RCMP investigate themselves so that makes it easy for them to do as they want.

Or the guy killed in the vancouver airport with tasers and beating him, they investigated it and paid off the guy's mother. Many things were found wrong about what they did. They also wouldn't even give the evidence over to Polish authorities for them to do an investigation.

Onmilo
October 15, 2010, 10:22 PM
Canadian Mayors must have had a secret breakfast meeting with Mayor Bloomberg of NYC,,,

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
October 15, 2010, 10:35 PM
Canadian Mayors must have had a secret breakfast meeting with Mayor Bloomberg of NYC,,,

Mayor Daily must have attended as well. Seems they have the exact same problems as Cook County here in Illinois. LEO's breaking the law daily and getting away with it. Unlawful search and seizure is commonplace here as well. Anyone that thinks these problems in Canada are not happening here has their heads buried DEEP in the sand.

If you enjoyed reading about "Canada: Operation Zero Tolerance" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!