How do you store your ammo?

PDA

Der Stro
October 13, 2010, 10:16 PM
For me, its kept in a pair of ammo cans (one full of 7.62x54R, the other various 12ga) in the closet since I have neither room nor cash for a safe.

So how do you guys keep it? In a box in the garage? plastic dry-boxes? stacked on the kitchen table?

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you store your ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
esheato
October 13, 2010, 10:21 PM
I have a lot of plastic MTM boxes. Usually for the unique rifle handloads.

Standard loads (for me anyway) are chucked into ammo cans (223, 45 Colt, 45-70, etc).

Lastly, I have some Bagmaster ammo bags for the frequently used pistol ammo (9mm, 38, 40 and 45).

Shotgun is boxed back in the original cardboard boxes and stacked on a shelf neatly.

This is all handloaded ammo...I don't keep very much factory stuff.

I don't quite understand storing ammo in a safe, but if you've got the space......unfortunately, or fortunately depending how you look at it, my safe is full of guns.

mustang_steve
October 13, 2010, 10:27 PM
ammo can, in boxes (altoids tins for .22lr)...that way i can fit a rather surprising amount of ammo in a single 30cal ammo can.

kingpin008
October 13, 2010, 10:27 PM
What little I have on hand at the moment is in some surplus ammo cans in the bedroom w/ the rest of the gun stuff.

essayons21
October 13, 2010, 10:30 PM
A whole bunch of surplus .50 cal and .30 cal ammo cans for the main calibers. All the oddball stuff is usually in its original box in a plastic pull-out drawer.

Caliper_RWVA
October 13, 2010, 10:34 PM
Milsurp ammo cans. Sturdy, inexpensive, and designed to keep ammo safe.

Bullnettles
October 13, 2010, 10:36 PM
Milsurp ammo cans, can't beat um.

archigos
October 13, 2010, 10:42 PM
Some in milsurp ammo cans, while other is just in the boxes the ammo came in in a bigger cardboard box. Its tucked in a closet, so I'm not too worried about it as a result of fire - without a barrel its not going to do much to anybody through walls.

wrs840
October 13, 2010, 10:43 PM
50 cal ammo cans, each with a bean-bag-toss size desiccant pack.

Les

Hanzo581
October 13, 2010, 10:43 PM
I use these and they work great...

http://www.basspro.com/Plano%C2%AE-Ammo-Can/product/56568/-991106

I do have one milsurp metal can.

M2 Carbine
October 13, 2010, 10:44 PM
I keep my ammo, powder and primers in 50 cal ammo cans.
For instance.:)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/38Specialreloads.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/Ammoin50calcans.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/45and38reloads.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/9mmWWB.jpg

Ky Larry
October 13, 2010, 11:00 PM
I have 3 plastic bins under the bed where I store factory ammo and .22lr's. Reloaded ammo goes in plastic coffee cans in the spare bedroom closet. Cases of Commie junk AK and 9mm ammo (Wolf, Tula, Silver Bear,etc) is stored in a locked cabinet in my storage shed.

CHEVELLE427
October 13, 2010, 11:02 PM
Milsurp ammo cans,

content
October 13, 2010, 11:14 PM
Hello friends and neighbors// The .32 rim fire is in the safe

Everything else is in ammo cans then the ammo cans are in a large metal storage box. Up to 20 ammo cans of various sizes will fit and it has a great lock.

Erik M
October 13, 2010, 11:19 PM
2 medium sized stack-on brand pistol safes bolted together. I was thinking of buying some .50 cal ammo boxes today actually, I just want to find some cheap locally so I dont have to pay shipping.

DasFriek
October 13, 2010, 11:20 PM
Im gonna go with Mil-surp here also, Plastic handles on other stuff tends to break off after being carried alot while packed full.
Im usually the type who cant afford stocking alot of ammo.
But i do have a .50 cal can full of pistol rounds and another .50 full of 12 gauge and one .30cal full of .22lr
Dang ammo is expensive. Reloading is starting to not look so hard anymore.

CHEVELLE427
October 13, 2010, 11:21 PM
Everything else is in ammo cans then the ammo cans are in a large metal storage box. Up to 20 ammo cans of various sizes will fit and it has a great lock.

bet thats heavy.

i have some large cans with shotgun shells in them and can hardly move them around, 1 is full of 44mag, try to keep mine mobile

HGUNHNTR
October 13, 2010, 11:59 PM
A bunker.

Shadow 7D
October 14, 2010, 12:37 AM
In hermetically sealed cans, in a safe, in 5' of water in a concrete vault in the bunker under my cabin....

Really, the boxes it comes in are fine guys, hell I have some salvage ammo (.40 components only either from a sunk container or Katrina) that works just fine after I polished the dried muck off of it.

shotgunjoel
October 14, 2010, 12:53 AM
M2 Carbine, would you sell that Wolf 7.62 39 to me for what you paid plus ten percent? I keep the .22 ammo on the top shelf in the safe, along with any partial boxes of centerfire I might have. A lot of the .22 is in CCI style 100 round boxes that I reuse; the rest is still in 500/550/555 round packs. Next to the safe I have all of my centerfire ammo boxed in their original cardboard cases. Same thing with my 100 packs of 12 ga. I do have one 50 cal can full of 12 ga. packed loose. It's nice to take out to go shooting because then I don't have empty cardboard boxes blowing around.

M2 Carbine
October 14, 2010, 02:45 AM
M2 Carbine, would you sell that Wolf 7.62 39 to me for what you paid plus ten percent?
I have a number of cases but I guess I'd better hold on to it. :)

That WWB 9mm cost $4.48 a box (on sale at Academy), I guess those days are gone).

I shoot a lot of 22 bulk pack. I've got the stuff stuck in every ammo box that has any room.

BTW, this is what the steel boxes look like after a fire. My gun shop burned down in 1995. It was an interesting day.:)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/C1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/C2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/CP1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/FRockchuckerand9mm.jpg

pfraser
October 14, 2010, 03:41 AM
In magazines.

John Locke
October 14, 2010, 03:56 AM
In my closet. Rifle ammo - in the cardboard boxes it was shipped to me in. Pistol ammo - in the plastic bags from Walmart. I might also have some in the backpack that I use to go to the range. The only exception is my self-defense pistol ammo, which is in my nightstand.

22-rimfire
October 14, 2010, 08:27 AM
I primarily use Milsurp 50 cal ammo cans. Most are labeled by caliber. When I was a younger, a couple 50 cal ammo cans was enough for everything. Things have changed. Much of the 22 ammo is in a metal cabinet so I can grab different varieties quickly for target shooting rather than opening a dozen ammo cans and sometimes not even finding what I am looking for.

ultradoc
October 14, 2010, 09:40 AM
I have mine setup kind of like M2Carbine but I also have some in original boxes

jay223
October 14, 2010, 09:58 AM
i havent started reloading yet ( still trying to find the proper beginners manuals) but all my factory ammo is in the factory boxes neatly stacked on a shelf above my gun safe !!!!! eventually i'll do the milsurp amma cans , but im saving that untill i learn how to reload !!!!!!

gizmohead
October 14, 2010, 10:03 AM
I've got most of it locked in plastic ammo cans, although I fill them halfway as they get too heavy to move quickly/easily. I've also put some boxes in foodsaver bags and vacuum-sealed for long-term storage in a safe.

Just One Shot
October 14, 2010, 10:07 AM
Another one for the milsurp ammo cans. Cheap and designed for this purpose.

Husker_Fan
October 14, 2010, 10:14 AM
I'm getting ammo envy.

W.E.G.
October 14, 2010, 11:01 AM
High and deep.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/ammunition/ammo-1.jpg

mcdonl
October 14, 2010, 11:35 AM
I just stockpile primers, powder and wheel weights. Everything else I shoot soon after loading. I may keep 200-300 hundred of any given caliber on hand but for the most part I don't have to "store" it. What I do have loaded I keep in plain white 50 count ammo boxes with labels showing the loads on them.

CoastieShep
October 14, 2010, 08:10 PM
Ammo cans here too. I have 2 .50 cal ammo cans and a 25mm ammo can I'm working on filling up.

Rusty Shackleford
October 14, 2010, 08:42 PM
"In a bunker."

... that was great. Still laughing.

alsaqr
October 14, 2010, 08:59 PM
In Army ammo cans, lots of them.

Iam2taz
October 14, 2010, 09:51 PM
Mostly I store in boxes in different places around the house. (I was in time-out helping my wife with cleaning the other day and kept finding stashes of 9mm. She wasn't exactly happy. Caused me more time at forced labor.:o) The rest in the gun or mags. I don't plan on needing that much as I am not looking for zombies to come out of the woodwork. 3-4 thousand rounds ought to be enough...:rolleyes:

Carter
October 14, 2010, 09:55 PM
In ammo cans placed inside a regular safe. Keeps them protected and locked up.

Only problem is I can only put 2 .50 sized and 1 .30 sized cans in there.

Ole Coot
October 14, 2010, 10:31 PM
I'm like most folks I know. I have used ammo cans with a decent seal since the early '60s. I don't have room in my gun safes either and it would be tough to run with one in each hand.

whalerman
October 14, 2010, 10:40 PM
I like to stay away from metal containers. They seem to draw and hold moisture. I'd suggest the old plastic milk crates, especially if the ammo to be stored is boxed. The crates are easily stacked and strong enough to hold heavy ammo. If the ammunition is loose, they make plastic liners (tupperware) that line the inside of the crates. And I always make sure I date the ammo. Helps me keep things rotated correctly.

jcwit
October 14, 2010, 11:10 PM
Ya, ammo cans draw moisture, thats why the military has been using them since WW2 if not before.

howlnmad
October 14, 2010, 11:19 PM
Mil-surp cans. 50 cal for shtgun and rifle, 30 cal for handgun and 22s

gym
October 14, 2010, 11:30 PM
Next to the fireplace, lol. In the ammo drawer next to where the guns are . Filled with dessicant.

whalerman
October 14, 2010, 11:38 PM
Houses aren't always heated and cooled the same way military storage facilities are. Do you seal up your safe and forget about it? It wouldn't be prudent.

jpwilly
October 15, 2010, 01:25 AM
1 in the pipe and 29 in the mag the rest, it's in AMMO CANS! Yea baby!

wrs840
October 15, 2010, 08:41 AM
ammo cans draw moisture

I don't think they "draw" moisture as much as they seal-in whatever ambient humidity is in them when you close them, so yes I suppose high humidity sealed-in plus a big temperature swing from warm to cold could cause a proper US military "ammo can" to condensate inside. That's why I use a four ounce desiccant pack in each one, and also they're for storage, not for taking to the range to get in and out of constantly. The mix of ammo I'm currently shooting at any given time lives in a plastic toolbox along with other range supplies.

Les

TIMC
October 15, 2010, 09:05 AM
I only have one bullet and I keep it in my pocket! :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/timc/Barney-Fife.jpg?t=1287147900

Ole Coot
October 15, 2010, 09:30 AM
This thread made me take a look at some rounds of 22 in bricks, some more stored in individual boxes. I don't recall how old one can I checked but the price was $8.00 a brick for Winchester wildcat. No desiccant in this one and no dampness in the can or the paper. I fired a box in my 10/22 and Single Six, no problem. IMO ammo boxes, sealed last. BTW these were behind some others in the back of the basement on a concrete floor.

Sgt_R
October 15, 2010, 11:08 AM
Factory boxes, stacked in my security cabinet. Keeps the kids out.

R

Sig88
October 15, 2010, 01:16 PM
Yea I haven't quite been able to start reloading yet. Have all of the components just need to study up. I have some factory boxes also so Ill probably store up in them or buy a few of the plastic cases.

Mudinyeri
October 15, 2010, 02:20 PM
Milsurp ammo cans with desiccant packs labelled by caliber and other characteristics like "Birdshot" or "Buck" or "Brass" or "Steel".

jcwit
October 15, 2010, 07:33 PM
Houses aren't always heated and cooled the same way military storage facilities are. Do you seal up your safe and forget about it? It wouldn't be prudent.

U.S. Military ammo cans have a hermetic seal when closed. A hermetic seal is also used to preserve the U.S. Constitution, U.S. Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Bill of Rights. These are also sealed with Argon gas which is an inert gas.

Seems to me ammo cans would be quite sufficient to store ammo short of putting them in salt water which would rust thru the metal.

Houses aren't always heated and cooled

Ever go into a Army ammo storage bunker?

content
October 16, 2010, 06:43 AM
Hello friends and neighbors // @ post #17

Yes heavy is the word. I put in more support under the floor of my 100yr. old house for sure.

Mainly, , I want their portability/accessabliity reduced, because ammo cans do not lock and do have handles I lock them all in a box too heavy to be moved as a whole.

I almost bought another safe, lol.

wrs840
October 17, 2010, 10:57 PM
Mainly, , I want their portability/accessabliity reduced, because ammo cans do not lock and do have handles I lock them all in a box too heavy to be moved as a whole.

This is what I do. The .50 cal cans are locked in a trunk that couldn't be moved "as a whole" without a fork-lift. This is a security-measure built-into the storage method.

Les

22-rimfire
October 17, 2010, 11:12 PM
If I had young kids around, I'd probably have one of the large steel contractor's boxes that are sold at places like Lowe's and then put a lock on it. The ammo boxes would go inside that. They are often big enough to store long guns in too if you don't have a safe.

lookshigh123
October 17, 2010, 11:44 PM
That's might be true for sure.

Mac's Precision
October 18, 2010, 12:06 AM
I put my ammo in vacuum seal bags. I use the wife's food sealer...I put ammo in the bags...vacuum the heck outta them and seal. I store a lot of gun stuff in vacuum bags. Spare mags get wiped down with corrosion inhibitor and sealed. I even long term store guns in those bags. The stuff is cheap by the roll at costco.

Cheers
Mac.

CapnMac
October 18, 2010, 12:13 AM
When I lived in an apartment, and had less room, I used MTM boxes that fit the ammo cans I had. So, it was out of the factory boxes, then into the plastic boxes. The heavy cans kept the casual from monkeying with them much.

For going to the range, the MTM boxes pull out nicely and go in a range bag. (That, and having a can of "Ready Service" got to be too much of a pain to load and tote.

Once I had a house, and fewer problems with unplanned incursions of either children or roommates, locking closet with shelves for in the box-from-the-store (and bigger boxes down on the floor).

Still use a range bag, and the boxes that go in, and the boxes that go to the range. Which can be a pain, the range trashcans are often full.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you store your ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!