Replating nickel Colt, caswell plug n plate?

PDA

il_10
October 14, 2010, 12:42 AM
I've got an old colt police positive special in Nickel, and the finish has seen better days. It's more or less there, but there are a couple spots where it's worn through. If I could fill those in, it would make the overall appearance of the gun a lot better, and keep rust off of those areas.
I just found the plug n plate kit from caswell plating:
http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/plugnplate.htm

With this, would I be able to partially plate the marks and buff back down to a decent finish? It doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough for field use. Is this a viable option? Or is a complete nickel refinish my only option here? Could this kit be used to finish a gun entirely?

The biggest reason I ask is that the full size tank kits run $200, and these are only $33 for the copper/nickel.

If you enjoyed reading about "Replating nickel Colt, caswell plug n plate?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Flame Red
October 14, 2010, 01:47 PM
My opinion is that life is too short to shoot an ugly gun. If it is a shooter and you like it I would not hesitate to have it professionally done. Colt does great work I am told. But I have used Ford's in Florida and they are fantastic. They have a long queue though, but their prices are reasonable. I think they do the best work of any I have used. There is also Bob Cogan of Accurate Plating and Weaponry in Alabama. He does a great job too, not quite as good as Ford's but excellent. His prices were a bit more, but usually his queue is a bit less.

Every time I tried a do-it-yourself solution, I eventually ended up sending it out later anyway.

russ69
October 15, 2010, 12:00 AM
For the best plating job, the gun will be stripped of the old plating, the gun will then be polished then re-plated. An over-plate job rarely is a good idea. You might ask Colt if they provide a re-plating service.

Thanx, Russ

If you enjoyed reading about "Replating nickel Colt, caswell plug n plate?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!