Maxpedition Fatboy alternative

PDA

staggerlee213
October 14, 2010, 06:19 AM
I see quite a few people on this and other messageboards posting about Maxpedition bags. When I was at my local army surplus shop I found a 'Fox Advanced Tactical Hipster'

Which is nearly identical to the Fatboy bag. I also paid about half what I see the Maxpedition bags going for. About $35 after tax.

https://www.foxoutdoor.com/item_images_lg/51391.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Maxpedition Fatboy alternative" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ragnar Danneskjold
October 14, 2010, 06:43 AM
Seems like a nice pack. How's the construction? One thing I've noticed about Maxpedition is the durability of materials and workmanship. Maxpedition packs are things you can toss in and out of a HMMWV for a year and they won't rip or wear. I'm not sure if the same can be said of a $30 lookalike.

staggerlee213
October 14, 2010, 04:06 PM
It's made of heavy nylon and water proofed lining. Seems durable. Granted I've only had it about a month.

I've never actually seen one of the Maxpedition bags(I found out about them after I bought this).

Zundfolge
October 14, 2010, 04:46 PM
I bought another $16 Maxpedition knockoff a while back (mine's an "Everest") and I know its not as strong or well made as the Maxpedition, but considering how often I use it I think I will have got my money's worth out of it.

But if you use a bag like that a lot, Maxpedition stuff is worth the extra cash.

edit ... found the one I bought here (http://www.amazon.com/Messenger-Bag-for-School-Red/dp/B002K6D05Y/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&m=A1IP5Q3GWK9OUR&s=sporting-goods&qid=1287085786&sr=1-9).

staggerlee213
October 14, 2010, 05:22 PM
Oh and this bag came with the velcro holster that appears to be an extra accessory for the maxpedition bag.

https://www.foxoutdoor.com/ItemDetails.aspx?cid=1&ccid=5&cscid=23

dairycreek
October 14, 2010, 08:14 PM
The cheaper look-a-like bag may be the way to go. For me, it depends on just how how hard (and over what period of time) you use the bag. While I tend to use my equipment hard I also take very, very good care of it. However, when I find seams splitting or unravelling, or zippers failing I think that the better quality bag is the best purchase. FWIW!

Joe Demko
October 14, 2010, 08:27 PM
If you shop around online, genuine fatboys can be found on sale for good prices. I bought an olive drab fatboy last month for $45. I was impressed by the workmanship and materials. I carry a load of crap, including a gun, in it every day. It gets thrown in the car, crammed into drawers, and worn every time I leave the house. So far, not a mark on it or so much as a loose thread.
I've never had good luck with cheap holsters or packs; so if an item has gained a good reputation, I buy the genuine item now. The cheap stuff isn't much of a savings when it doesn't hold up well under actual use or doesn't work as well as the original to start with.

paddling_man
October 14, 2010, 10:09 PM
I had one of those = Fox and from a mil-surplus store. I wore the crap out of that thing although its construction quality is nowhere near a Maxpedition. The nylon was much thinner, the plastic clasp ripped out a few times and I had to resew the little gauzy-thin storm sleeve back in a few times until I gave up.

I had a Maxped FatBoy but ended up switching up to a 5.11 Push, which I liked better.

Wear the heck out of that thing. I more than got my money's worth... I think I paid less than $25.

If you enjoyed reading about "Maxpedition Fatboy alternative" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!