Gun Statistics?

PDA

TenMillimaster
October 14, 2010, 05:30 PM
Does anyone know some good resources for market statistics? Like ratio of long guns to handguns, guns owned to owners, or a caliber breakdown of ammunition purchased this year or other stuff like that.

None of that nonsense liberal BS that spouts off about how many Americans were killed today by assault weapons or the like.

I imagine the big ammunition manufacturers do market research like that, but I'm wondering if there's a way we could get a hold of information like that; It might help when making certain decisions, like picking a common model so you can be sure parts are still floating around in 50 years or so, a or a common caliber so there will always be ammo available at good prices, or seeing just whether our wallets think 9mm or .45 is king here in the US (I think we know the answer to that one :) but wouldn't you want to know by just how much?

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Statistics?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old krow
October 14, 2010, 08:44 PM
http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp

There's some pretty good stuff in here. I haven't read through it all, but it actually looks pretty NON-Biased. According to them, the ration of long gun to hand gun is roughly 2:1. They categorized rifles and shotguns together.

The have a lot of other factor in there, like # of households with guns, # of adults, even some good stats on the criminals. One of particular interest was where they asked criminals if they had ever turned away from a crime because their would-be victim was armed.

9mm is the most common handgun round in US for Mil/LEO.

I found 2 sources for "the entire world", one said 9x19 other said 9x17. Not sure which is more accurate, but probably 9x19 IMO.

Librarian
October 15, 2010, 12:49 AM
Try http://www.atf.gov/statistics/ for Annual Firearms Manufacturers And Export Report

All Federally licensed manufacturers of firearms and destructive devices (Federal Firearms License types 07 and 10) are required to submit a production report of manufacturing and export activity to ATF by April 1 of each year.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Statistics?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!