Ed Brown.....should I?

PDA

wow6599
October 14, 2010, 09:32 PM
Well, my wife has given me the green light to buy an Ed Brown Classic Custom.......not sure why, but fine by me. Being from Missouri, and more specifically about 90 miles from Brown, I have always wanted one.
Never had $3000 to spend on a pistol though, but now I can. Here is my problem - I can't go through with it. I just don't know if a $3000 1911 is really worth $2000 more than a nice Colt, Springfield or S&W 1911.

I need some opinions from folks who have spent the money for a high-end, custom 1911. Is it worth it?

Oh yeah, it would be the stainless/blue version.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ed Brown.....should I?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dobe
October 14, 2010, 09:37 PM
As an EB owner, I'd say get it. Others will say "it isn't worth it", "no handgun is worth...", "I could by 6 Glocks for that much money..."

You can't appreciate a quality 1911 unless you own it or have it on lone for an extended period of time. Simply shooting one at a range once is no substitue for continually shooting one of the finest 1911s made. The more you shoot it, the more you will come to appreciate the craftsmanship of such a fine weapon.

I have an Executive Target. It is the nicest, well made, and accuate 1911 I own.

Bill2e
October 14, 2010, 09:41 PM
I would if I could. That being said, make sure you shoot it if you buy it. $3000 safe queen is a waist of money.

However a $3000 1911 will put a smile on your face everytime you pull the trigger. I may not have purchased a Ed Brown, but have bought enough other toys to know that once you get over the initial price shock, you will never be upset with buying quality and something that you really want.

Good luck in your choice!

hawkeye10
October 14, 2010, 09:44 PM
:) I think you are going to have to go it alone on this one. You sure can get a nice 1911 for a lot less. Keep us posted. Don

October 14, 2010, 09:50 PM
What other 1911s do you have? Would this be your first 1911? My point is, if you're not familiar with the platform, $3,000 is a sizable entry fee. If you are familiar with the 1911, know all of it's quirks and the joy of shooting/owning one, then you probably wouldn't be asking this question ... you would be posting photos of your new Ed Brown instead.

I've had a Kimber Tactical Entry II for about a year now and I absolutely LOVE it. It's a $1,250 1911 (or $1,550 with Ed Brown parts :) ) so I can only imagine the pleasure of owning a genuine Ed Brown. You've raised an interesting question but only you can answer it. If a $1,000 1911 is 100% reliable and accurate, what are you getting that is worth another $2,000? I will say you're paying for some higher quality parts, quite a bit more labor for fitting and finishing, and a name. All of those may or may not be worth it to you. At some point you will be paying for art as much as engineering.

:)

Prion
October 14, 2010, 10:00 PM
You could get a Brown for closer to 2K if you're not stuck on the CC. I like the looks of a SS SF with no roll marks.

For even less coin the DW Valor in SS is very well put together.

I have spent some serious coin, more than 3K, on gear and never regretted it. Quality is tangible.

Good luck with your decision.

wow6599
October 14, 2010, 10:02 PM
Not my first, but close..... I have a Loaded Springer, and I've shot several others. Nothing in the form of a handgun comes close (IMHO) to the feel and beauty of a 1911. Nothing.

Dobe
October 14, 2010, 10:03 PM
Have to agree.

Arkansas Paul
October 14, 2010, 10:35 PM
I've been lusting for a Brown for a while now. I'm partial to the Executive Carry and the Kobra Carry.
I honestly don't know if I would though. I'm like you. I would look at $2k - $3k and might not be able to do it. I'd like to have the opportunity though.

esheato
October 14, 2010, 10:37 PM
EB owner here....do it.

OmutaX
October 14, 2010, 10:43 PM
I have a Colt Govt 80 series with the 1* Elite package from Yost-Bonitz, and it is a pretty nifty custom piece of work. I got it used at a killer price and baaarely even broken in and it was my entry into the world of higher end 1911s. Not sure if it was worth the nearly $3k the original owner dumped into it though at the time of purchase.

I've shot high end name brand custom 1911s as well, and for bang for the buck a Springfield Professional blew me away more than any 1911 fighting gun I've touched short of a full house STI race gun. For $2600+, it struck me as ridiculous for a Springer, but the second I handled it and shot it I just believed right away that it was a cut above the rest of the turnkey 1911s I've shot. Now I believe without a shadow of a doubt that high end 1911's are worth the $$$.

788Ham
October 14, 2010, 10:44 PM
Don't mean to steal your thread here...... I always wanted a Colt Python revolver. My wife and I were married almost a year when she gave me the go ahead to get it, I've never looked back. It wasn't any where near $3K, but this 6" revolver is the nicest handgun I've ever shot, not degrading autos! Get it, you only go around once, then shoot the springs out of it!

ckone
October 14, 2010, 10:50 PM
Don't do it! Get yourself an STI or something that's upper echelon but made to shoot and spend the rest if you really want to get rid of it on a bunch of ammo or maybe even a kit from Fusion and have fun and get some satisfaction building your own.
Another option would be to see if you can find a used EB and just get that, chances are very likely you'll be able to find one at 2/3 or 1/2 what it cost new as that's actually closer to what they're really worth (and most are like new as not many real shooters are the guys buying them and the collectors tend to limit them to low round counts).
The quality and attention to detail is nice of course, but the price is more reflective of the exclusivity and "name-drop-factor" than capability or them being superior in much more than price-tag.

FWIW, I've owned Wilson's, Baer's, etc., if you can shoot, an RIA with $100 in trigger work will do almost everything they will and sometimes more except for impressing 1911-snobs.

OmutaX
October 14, 2010, 10:55 PM
A used Ed Brown or used high end anything is generally a good idea, as there is a great number of people who buy nice toys like this don't use them a whole lot. If you can save 20-30% or more on something that had only 500-1500 rounds through it, it's golden.

jfrey
October 14, 2010, 10:57 PM
You might want to check out www.collectorsfirearms.com They normally have a few slightly used EB's in stock. You can sometimes save quite a lot on the used ones. Just a suggestion.

Quack
October 14, 2010, 11:00 PM
Do it!!!

wow6599
October 14, 2010, 11:16 PM
I need to add this - I would rather spend $3000 to be the only owner of an Ed Brown than $2400 for a used one. I will (if I get it) shoot it, but baby it like it's an egg.
It would be for my son, who is only 3 years old, to have someday.
Call me a snob.

TexasPatriot.308
October 14, 2010, 11:18 PM
a hi point .45 for what a .45 was meant for as far as effectiveness was meant for will do the job, ugly pistol, deadly accurate, but if you got the money and can afford it like I wished I could ,I would get an Ed Brown or Kimber, for me a .45 is for up close self defense, to kill, a $250 cheapie will kill just like a high dollar custom but be sure to have a backup plan in case but then again even the high dollar ones can fail you, keep that K-Bar in your mouth...I carried a flashlight in my left hand, a KBar in my mouth and a worn out 1911 remington rand in my left and I am still here...but I am still a poor boy

TexasPatriot.308
October 14, 2010, 11:33 PM
I carried the .45 in my right hand, at 145# I was the one that got picked to go "in the hole" unless you are hell bent on hellacious accurate .45, I see the .45 like a 12 gauge, short range, very short range it dont matter, just get close and the round will do its job..

surjimmy
October 15, 2010, 12:01 AM
There are some very nice 1911's that are cheaper, but until you shoot a high end 1911 like the Ed Brown you'll never know. Let me put it this way, My favorite Uncle lives in Ohio 1100 miles from me. Now my Ford Taurus will get me there with no problem, but the ride in a Mercedes sure is a whole lot better.

HOOfan_1
October 15, 2010, 12:45 AM
If you've always wanted one, and you really think you can afford it, I say go for it.

If you get something else, no matter how much you like it you will probably always still lust after that Ed Brown you always wanted (at least I would). You may never get that go ahead again.

MikePGS
October 15, 2010, 12:51 AM
I agree with HOOfan. If you buy it and regret it, you can always sell it and recoup some of the money. However if you don't buy it, you will always regret it. You have the money to get it, your wife even agrees to it (which for some guys is a miracle in itself), and you've probably always wanted one. So what are you waiting for? :D Make sure you post pics of your new gun!

Jed Carter
October 15, 2010, 04:49 AM
Better order it now, should be delivered in May, I ordered an STI from their custom shop, took 5 months. Worth every penny, I'm sure the Ed Brown would be too. It's only money, besides it's not like the wife will give a green light for something like this everyday. It does make you wonder why.

Spinnerblade
October 15, 2010, 05:18 AM
Get it! I got my Les Baer on the first of this month and have already taken it shooting five times! I really like it!
If you buy a custom quality gun in the first place you don't have to worry about sending it to gunsmiths for work later.
If you don't have any financial problems I say get it now and thank your Wife! Patrick

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h290/spinnerx/lesbaer10-1-2010011.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h290/spinnerx/lesbaer10-4-2010010-1.jpg

Shipwreck
October 15, 2010, 07:30 AM
I say do it. I love my Brown - I worked up slowly over the years to higher priced 1911s. I then got a Springfield Custom, and later an Ed Brown Special Forces. I think Brown is my fav brand of 1911. I will likely buy another one day.

You might want to check out www.collectorsfirearms.com They normally have a few slightly used EB's in stock. You can sometimes save quite a lot on the used ones. Just a suggestion.

I would not do that. They charge higher than MSRP on NEW Ed Browns - and a lot of their used guns are sold for close or equal to what you can get a new one elsewhere. I like to go there to look, that's about it.

They refused to come down to MSRP on a Special Forces, so I bought it from Top Gun Supply.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Brown-SF1.jpg

mig7410
October 15, 2010, 08:16 AM
way not, you only live once.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v683/mmartin/MFM/edbrown.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v683/mmartin/MFM/_DSC8839.jpg

Shipwreck
October 15, 2010, 09:23 AM
Nice Kobra. I kinda wish I had gotten that over my Special Forces now - I will likely get a 5" Kobra in the next 18-24 months

BlayGlock
October 15, 2010, 10:00 AM
No you should not. You should get a wilson, nighthawk, or springfield custom build and get the peace of mind that comes from knowing that your expensive custom gun will be backed by non-hostile customer service should you ever need it. EB is not known for having the best CS in the biz. You probably won't need it with any of these guys, but just in case something is wrong I don't won't to be blamed for the guns problem and told to shoot another 500 rounds through it before they will consider looking at it under warranty.

Shipwreck
October 15, 2010, 01:32 PM
I've dealt with Brown customer service 1x to get my gun re-beadblasted. And, they were great. Others have claimed the same thing.

I've seen both pos and neg comments about Les Baer customer service... Same for Nighthawk.. Some posts claim they are awesome - others have stories and pic of guns that never should have left the factory, and they often don't seem to get help rectifying things until they start posting pics on various forums...

Who knows what's true and what isn't, admittedly...

But, I've seen both positive and neg comments for every brand - including non 1911 gun companies. Granted, when things start accumulating about a company - there is usually something to it.

I have skipped some brands after reading various posts by different people - so, things like that do concern me. But, I would not hesitate to buy another Brown.

joe_security
October 15, 2010, 02:16 PM
I agree with mig7410....Go for it if that is what makes you happy. My choice would be the Excecutive carry or one of the Commander size guns. For the most part, you get what you pay for in this life with very little exception.

anheiserglock
October 15, 2010, 03:45 PM
Can your wife call my wife :) I would love an Ed Brown. You need to think of it as a family heirloom. After the buyers' remorse period you'll be absolutley fine with the gun. Good Luck !!

IMTHDUKE
October 15, 2010, 04:23 PM
I kept looking at 1911s that bragged about their Ed Brown parts, so I just got an Ed Brown....worth it? It's in the eye of the beholder....One thing for sure....you wont go...."what a junky gun this is".:)

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww2/imthduke/GUNS/EdBrownKobra.jpg

BlayGlock
October 15, 2010, 05:33 PM
I've dealt with Brown customer service 1x to get my gun re-beadblasted. And, they were great. Others have claimed the same thing.

I've seen both pos and neg comments about Les Baer customer service... Same for Nighthawk.. Some posts claim they are awesome - others have stories and pic of guns that never should have left the factory, and they often don't seem to get help rectifying things until they start posting pics on various forums...

Who knows what's true and what isn't, admittedly...

But, I've seen both positive and neg comments for every brand - including non 1911 gun companies. Granted, when things start accumulating about a company - there is usually something to it.

I have skipped some brands after reading various posts by different people - so, things like that do concern me. But, I would not hesitate to buy another Brown.

Quite true. I took the liberty of looking at an EB forum and posting the following links about EB C.S. Not all of them are negative and I am not trying to be combative. I am posting these so that this gent can make up his mind with regards to Ed Brown. FWIW I had a Kobra for a while and it is a great gun with no problems. I traded it off because I already had several other high-end 1911s and I didnt love tihs one as much. Also FWIW I went with Springfield Custom and Nighthawk for customer builds bc of the excellent QC. Ive got a 2nd hand Wilson that I have also had good luck with thier C.S. I feel much more comfortable with these companies when spending my money.

Regards

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=87114
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=85389
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=85178
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=84685&highlight=customer+service
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=78697&highlight=customer+service

340PD
October 15, 2010, 07:51 PM
I won some unexpected money in a sales contest. I drove to my local Cabelas and found a used Kobra Carry for $2250. I bought it and never looked back. If you go to a mid range gun you will always wonder what the Brown would be like to own. I really shoot it very little but it does get a regular fondling. No reason for the small amount of shooting, it is more pride of ownership of this fine firearm.

Nighthawk, Wilson, Brown, Baer, and a few others will all acomplish pretty much the same thing. You said you live close to the Ed Brown facility. I would lean in that direction. Ed Brown products are among the finest in the industry. Try both the bobtail and the regular grip before you buy. Good luck.

Zerodefect
October 15, 2010, 07:58 PM
You could get a Brown for closer to 2K if you're not stuck on the CC. I like the looks of a SS SF with no roll marks.

For even less coin the DW Valor in SS is very well put together.

I have spent some serious coin, more than 3K, on gear and never regretted it. Quality is tangible.

Good luck with your decision.

I agree with this.

Your in luck. If your afraid to pony up 3 grand for something your going to shoot the tar out of. Look at the DW Valor. DW is trying, and succeeding, at emulating most of the EB's good qualities.

In fact alot of DW parts are EB. At least the MSH, grip safety, and mag release button on my DW V are EB parts.

I haven't shot a better 1911 than the DW V. It's right up their with W, LB, and EB.

Big_E
October 15, 2010, 08:30 PM
I was against my dad getting an Ed Brown at first. Now I think he should go for it, he is getting up there in age and has never owned a 1911 but always wanted one. Besides, being an only child means that that extremely nice EB will be mine. My future SA SS Loaded and Blued Colt Gov. will last me until then. :D

I would rather have 2 $1500 guns than 1 $3000 gun. However, when I'm not the one paying for it it really changes the game. ;)

bc1023
October 16, 2010, 07:49 PM
I say yes. :)

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/bac1023/002-15.jpg

benderx4
October 16, 2010, 07:53 PM
For sure, Ed Brown builds a great 1911. But THREE GRAND for ONE weapon? Imagine if your hand ever slips and you put an idiot mark on that mirror like finish? Ouch!

Having had about a dozen 1911s, I now have one Les Baer and one Springer Custom. Couldn't be happier than with these two guns. Combined cost about the same as that one particular Brown.

But then again, I can't imagine spending $100K on a Porsche either ...........

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3569/3305088230_28858b1026.jpg

bc1023
October 16, 2010, 08:02 PM
Springfield Custom and Baer both make guns costing about the same as that Brown.

Likewise, Brown builds less expensive models.

Big Bill
October 16, 2010, 09:26 PM
I say go ahead and buy it. But, I'll bet I have more fun shooting my Springfield XDm 45. At least I won't be worring about scratching mine. It would be for my son, who is only 3 years old, to have someday.Are you only going to have one son? Be careful, you may be buying a case of EBs. :D

Zerodefect
October 16, 2010, 09:45 PM
My favorite Ed Brown 1911 looks allmost exactly like a Dan Wesson Valor. One of the many reasons I went with DW.

http://www.edbrown.com/champion.htm

DW V:
http://cz-usa.com/products/view/dan-wesson-valor/

The LB monoliths look cool to me as well. Except for their billboards, sights, and I don't need ambi safety. But hey LB should be able to make me a custom right? Wrong?

DasFriek
October 17, 2010, 02:46 AM
When you die you cant take your money with you, But you can have pockets sewn into the lid of your casket to hold your 1911 in case you need it.

Fremmer
October 17, 2010, 12:51 PM
Get it. If you're going to buy something, you might as well buy something nice that you really like.

And there's a difference between an EB and other (still very nice) guns. Namely, they aren't Ed Browns! :cool:

bc1023
October 17, 2010, 02:54 PM
Actually, as much as I like my Classic Custom, I'd rather use the $3K towards a full house custom 1911 from one of the top smiths.

There's certainly a difference between a semi-custom and a full custom build.

Dobe
October 17, 2010, 04:22 PM
There's certainly a difference between a semi-custom and a full custom build. Like what?

bc1023
October 17, 2010, 04:59 PM
Like what?

Quality control and attention to detail.

Plus, with a full custom build by a one of the best, you can specify every detail and have the gun built for you.

As good as Ed Brown 1911s are, they're built on a production basis by a group of people. Believe me, there's a difference between an Ed Brown and a custom.

Of course, you pay for all that. The best 1911s can easily cost over $5K.

Dobe
October 17, 2010, 05:22 PM
Ed uses CNC also, which like it or not does take a lot of human error out of the equation, and adds consistancy to his product. And out of curiosity, what features are you talking about that a custom can give you, which EB or other semi custom do not?

Semi custom builder began as a way of supplying customers with a solid product, which had most if not all of the add-on being requested. In other words, what was once only offered by custom is know being offered by semi custom.

Zerodefect
October 17, 2010, 05:25 PM
Custom and semicustom are catch phrases that have nothing to do with the words they are. For the most part they are internet lingo and maketing and little more.

Production gun: Alot of the fitted steel parts are not in these. Instead they have a lot of cast and MIM parts designed to go in with little or no fitting.

For example a Kimber Custom II has a grip safety that looks like it came right out of the mold. No fitting marks on it's insides anywhere on mine.

No matter how many times K and SF etch the words custom or tactical on thier weapons they most certainly are not. (Usually) custom styled features don't make for a "custom gun" but they help.

Semi Custom guns: These often have all the attention to detail and quality as the custom guns. But they only come in one variety, you don't get to choose sights, grips, finish etc.

Ex: the Dan Wesson Valor. Every bit as good as a W, LB, EB, but every Valor is the same. So they see the same tight fit and attention to detail as customs. But they roll off the assembly line all the same so that they can meet demand and keep prices down.

Every custom gun company makes plenty of semi-custom weapons. For example: If LesBaer rolls 300 of the same identical gun down thier assembly line, is it still custom. I think not.

These "semi customs" are my favorites. I need to customize my 1911 for me just as a Jedi has to build his own litesabre. LOLz. Nothing like learning the art and tuning your own 1911.

Custom: Hand built to the customers spec.

ex: Fusion and Wilson. Tell them exactly what you want and they'll build it just for you. Often takes more than a year to get one of these. They are limited by the need to keep QC up super high, and lack of good builders. Not to mention waiting to get in line for new space age finishing techniques often produced by a 3rd party.

Dobe
October 17, 2010, 05:29 PM
Assuming you are starting with NO handgun, and buying....

Now-a-days, you can pick up a magazine from EB, Nighthawk, Wilson, or Les Baer, and get what you what you want from those semi-custom builders with as good a quality and at less cost.

bc1023
October 17, 2010, 06:01 PM
Now-a-days, you can pick up a magazine from EB, Nighthawk, Wilson, or Les Baer, and get what you what you want from those semi-custom builders with as good a quality and at less cost.

Not really.

I'm not knocking the semi-custom shops. I like all of them.

No matter how many options you can add on or change out, its still built on a semi-production basis. Any shop that builds a couple hundred guns a month is not the same as a true custom builder.

As an example, look at the Wilson Supergrade. Here we have a semi-custom shop that has a line of product that is built like a custom, by one smith. Do you think its just a cooincidence that the price is that much higher? Its a higher grade 1911, built by their best smiths, not an assembly line gun like the CQB, for instance.

Wilson has Supergrade smiths and standard employees.

Dobe
October 17, 2010, 06:07 PM
But what are you getting that you cannot get from a semi custom? Hand craftsmanship is wonderful, but with the advent of CNC, there is a point of deminishing returns on the money spent vs. what you are getting in return.

Now, this is my opinion only, and I have no problem on what it is that you spend your money. I still feel that most needs for the thought of custom can be satisfied with the semi custom.

bc1023
October 17, 2010, 06:09 PM
Sure it can be.

The semi-customs are great and probably better values than spending huge bucks on a custom gun.

Some people simply like the individual attention and actually talking directly to the one person building your gun.

Like I said, I find the qualiy of a custom gun a step up as well.

skimbell
October 17, 2010, 08:57 PM
Just my 2 cents but I grew up living about three blocks from Les Baer's shop. I loved looking at his guns but I remember even then thinking that the prices were, ahh, unusual.
I never really wanted one of the custom guns. I've satisfied my itch with a dozen or so Colt's.
I guess it's all relative. I've got friends who tell me Colt's aren't worth what you have to pay for them. Maybe, maybe not.
Up to you, but I can't justify $3K for one.

varoadking
October 17, 2010, 09:39 PM
I need some opinions from folks who have spent the money for a high-end, custom 1911. Is it worth it?

I've invested that kind of money in several. It it worth it? Yes and no. Mostly no...

Get that Colt...

ckone
October 17, 2010, 10:28 PM
You're paying a premium for exclusivity more than anything else. The simple fact is that the vast majority of the 1911's from the boutique maker's in Brown's price-range are not being purchased by guys who are going to really be shooting them to the point where they're wearing on them much if at all, most of the detail and fitting in them has to do with cosmetics more than real performance, which is why it's easy to find lots of pics of them all-over polished up with fancy grips and not many of them showing holster-wear and battle-scars from being carried or put through their paces at the range. Most of the guys who buy these things get them to admire a lot and shoot very little.

It's in the eye of the beholder, if you have the cash and just want to own one then get it, but it's kind of like with watches, a Rolex is a nice piece and every now and again someone will say "wow, nice watch" but it won't help you tell what time it is any better than a Tag Heuer or even a Casio for that matter.

I agree with the sentiment that these days the cost-benefit-analysis on the more expensive 1911's isn't very good, a Dan Wesson or a Fusion at half the price is really pretty much on the same echelon, plus, remember these pistols are worth what they're worth in top condition only, put a scratch on one and you can knock like $500 off it's worth.

Think you should just find one used, my Ducati is just as nice as a new one except I got it for 2/3 the cost of the one's on the showroom's floors...

bc1023
October 17, 2010, 10:38 PM
:confused:

Its actually more about fitting, parts quality, and durability, than it is cosmetics.

ckone
October 17, 2010, 11:11 PM
Its actually more about fitting, parts quality, and durability, than it is cosmetics.

No, it's really not, the grip-safety being fitted perfectly or sharp checkering, etc. are signs of fine craftsmanship yeah, but at the end of the day those things won't make it shoot better.

robctwo
October 18, 2010, 12:09 AM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e186/robctwo/DSCN0258.jpg

I bought mine used, lnib a few years ago. I promptly put 10,000 rounds through it over the next year or so. Bought a Les Baer used, lnib as well. Same story. The gun shop I bought the Brown from in Connecticut said a bunch of rich guys seemed to buy and trade guns a lot without shooting much. I took his depreciation and have never regretted it.

I had the Brown slide and both my Baers ionbonded a year ago.

The guy who bought the Baer shot it, but he waited so long to get it that his arthritis stopped him from shooting. I've put about 30,000 through the Baer. It is more of a tank, and slightly more accurate.

If you are buying a safe Queen, and you can afford it, why not. If you are buying a shooter, you are doing yourself a real favor.

I think the real value in the higher end guns is in the way they stay tight and true over considerable use.

I have a SA Loaded that works good, I put Ed Brown ignition parts in it and a Ciener .22 conversion. Very nice $1,600 .22, lol.

bc1023
October 18, 2010, 06:17 AM
No, it's really not, the grip-safety being fitted perfectly or sharp checkering, etc. are signs of fine craftsmanship yeah, but at the end of the day those things won't make it shoot better.

Where are you getting your information?

Its also about slide to frame fitting and, most important, barrel lockup. They do make them shoot better.

I'm not saying it will make a huge difference in everyone's hands, but use a ransom and you will see what I'm referring to.

Zerodefect
October 18, 2010, 08:21 AM
Sure it can be.

The semi-customs are great and probably better values than spending huge bucks on a custom gun.

Some people simply like the individual attention and actually talking directly to the one person building your gun.

Like I said, I find the qualiy of a custom gun a step up as well.

IME the semi-custom guns from Lesbaer, DanWesson (2010 V, Vbob, CCO), Ed Brown are built every bit a good as full custom guns.

They just may or may not have all the features you want as they roll off the assembly line identical to each other.

Dobe
October 18, 2010, 02:18 PM
IME the semi-custom guns from Lesbaer, DanWesson (2010 V, Vbob, CCO), Ed Brown are built every bit a good as full custom guns.

They just may or may not have all the features you want as they roll off the assembly line identical to each other. Either of those companies will (or would at one time) perform the additional customer work you may need.

October 18, 2010, 02:42 PM
Zerodefect, I have to say, I'm very, very tempted to pick up a black DW V-Bob. It's essentially the same as an Ed Brown Special Forces but with a different name on the slide. This 1911 thing is a DISEASE!!! Now I want at least three more models! :banghead:

bc1023, I've been following your posts on SIGforum and glocktalk. I for one really appreciate your expertise with regards to the 1911 platform.

:)

bc1023
October 18, 2010, 08:19 PM

They just may or may not have all the features you want as they roll off the assembly line identical to each other.

I'm not trying to be smart, but I would honestly like to know which custom guns you're comparing them to. Especially the Dan Wessons, which I don't even consider semi-customs.

They are not the same as a custom gun. Believe me, I have compared tham all back to back. Of course, it depends on the specific custom smith, but I'm talking the best.

Here's a couple examples. Purchase a full house custom gun from one of these guys, wait for it for a couple years, and then tell me how an Ed Brown, or especially a Dan Wesson stack up.

http://www.morriscustompistols.com

http://pistoldynamics.com/

http://www.heirloomprecision.com/

P30shtr
October 18, 2010, 09:12 PM
Smoke' em if you got' em . Spend 'em if you got 'em. Man, 3 G's sure is alot though. How bout like 2 or $2500 and ammo on the rest. Your money, do what you want. Next time I'm in Mizzou I'll hit ya up to shoot a fine 3G masterpiece.

Zerodefect
October 18, 2010, 10:28 PM
I'm not trying to be smart, but I would honestly like to know which custom guns you're comparing them to. Especially the Dan Wessons, which I don't even consider semi-customs.

They are not the same as a custom gun. Believe me, I have compared tham all back to back. Of course, it depends on the specific custom smith, but I'm talking the best.

Here's a couple examples. Purchase a full house custom gun from one of these guys, wait for it for a couple years, and then tell me how an Ed Brown, or especially a Dan Wesson stack up.

http://www.morriscustompistols.com

http://pistoldynamics.com/

http://www.heirloomprecision.com/

Yup, I wasn't thinking of those. $5000 is a bit over the top. Love to see someone throw one of those down the driveway!:what: Even Wilsons prices are tame compared to that.

I was thinking of DW 2010 Valor vs Ed Brown Molon Labe vs Wilson's more normal custom 1911's kind of thing.

I don't really find the DW V's lacking anywhere. In fact they solved all my normal complaints which forced me to buy one this year. (Eat my own words more or less) I only have experience with the 2009 V's and 2010 V's, Vbob's, and Guardians. Not the more regular Classic, Razorback, or Cbob.

-no MIM, no substandard parts anywhere
-best thumb safety I've ever seen and it's billet steel, not cast
-no slide play
-series 70
-no billboards
-Ed Brown grip safety
-Raised 25lpi checkering
-clean normal slide serrations
-rear sight that has an edge for one handed racking
(I forget what else I used to B about, but you get the idea)

If only they came out with a full length dust cover "monolithic" heavy weight version. Then I'd have a seizure for sure.

bc1023
October 18, 2010, 10:32 PM
I certainly don't put Dan Wesson on a level playing field with Brown, Baer, or Wilson, but they have improved over the years, especially last year.

Zerodefect
October 18, 2010, 10:32 PM
Yeah, especially last year.

bc1023
October 19, 2010, 02:15 PM
bc1023, I've been following your posts on SIGforum and glocktalk. I for one really appreciate your expertise with regards to the 1911 platform.

Thanks 1858.

I appreciate that. :)

Clarence
October 19, 2010, 06:08 PM
I am an Ed Brown owner. I typically answer the question in this way -

If you love the 1911 and have owned several Colts, Kimbers, etc etc over the years, by all means get an Ed Brown. You will appreciate the difference between the Ed Brown and all the other 1911's you've owned. If this is your first 1911........get a Colt, Kimber, etc etc and shoot it for a few years before you get an Ed Brown.

I owned 20+ 1911's over the years before I finally bought my Ed Brown Special Forces. In my experience the difference in quality between a Brown and any of the $1000 guns is significant.

My Ed Brown is no safe-queen. I've currently got just a hair over 17,000 rounds through it, and have yet to have a malfunction of any kind. Ed Brown guns are made to shoot. Granted a lot of people get them and then don't want to shoot their $2,000 - $3,000 gun...but I'm not one of those people.

For the record I also currently own a Wilson, and a Les Baer, and they are fine guns as well. When you compare them to a Brown it really becomes a matter of whether you prefer blondes, redheads, or brunettes. They are all nice in their own way but the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My personal favorite is the Ed Brown and make no mistake about, when you buy a Brown, you get what you pay for.

Dobe
October 19, 2010, 06:57 PM
My Ed Brown is no safe-queen. I've currently got just a hair over 17,000 rounds through it, and have yet to have a malfunction of any kind. Ed Brown guns are made to shoot. Granted a lot of people get them and then don't want to shoot their $2,000 - $3,000 gun...but I'm not one of those people.

For the record I also currently own a Wilson, and a Les Baer, and they are fine guns as well. When you compare them to a Brown it really becomes a matter of whether you prefer blondes, redheads, or brunettes. They are all nice in their own way but the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My personal favorite is the Ed Brown and make no mistake about, when you buy a Brown, you get what you pay for.
Well said. EBs are meant to be shot, and they are as well made as you say. I only own one, but I'd own more, if I could.

bc1023
October 19, 2010, 07:47 PM
Absolutely.

The only 1911s I own that I don't shoot are a 1967 Colt National Match, AMT Hardballer, and Valtro 1998. None were ever shot and I'm leaving them that way.

Other than that, all my 1911s get fired.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ed Brown.....should I?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!