Bought some new ammo... are they any good?

PDA

Wonderclam
October 14, 2010, 11:18 PM
They were 40% off at a local gun shop, so I bought 6 boxes of 50.

American Eagle .40 cal FMJ

and

Tulammo .40 caliber with steel casing.

Are these any good?

If you enjoyed reading about "Bought some new ammo... are they any good?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WalkAbout
October 14, 2010, 11:30 PM
The American Eagle is perfectly servicable plinking/target ammo. I wouldn't use it for self defence though. Can't speak for the other one, though it has a steel case so it's not easily reloadable.

b

rfwobbly
October 15, 2010, 12:02 AM
The Tulammo is probably re-packaged Wolf.

tango2echo
October 15, 2010, 12:10 AM
Wal-Mart here sells Tula (TulAmmo black and red box) 9mm,40mm,45ACP, and .223. I have used quite a bit of the 9mm. It is hot and shoots well. The 115gr ball chronos 1090fps from a 3" bbl. When I first started buying it it was steel cased, but recently has been brass cased and boxer primed. No issues with reloading it.

T2E

Wonderclam
October 15, 2010, 07:20 PM
I bought 6 boxes of these for $80. I'm going to try them out on Tuesday.

Hondo 60
October 15, 2010, 08:32 PM
I bought Tula in the plain white box w/ black lettering for my AR-15. For my purposes it's absolute CRAP, with all uppercase letters!

I just don't have any jamming issues, FTEs etc with any ammo with a brass case. Whether it's my reloads, or it's store bought, it just doesn't matter.

With Tula I get 3-4 jams with every 20 rd box.
(It was dirt cheap, so I bought a whole case of it too):banghead:

As far as American Eagle - I've used .38spl, .357mag, 9MM & 223/5.56 all of it has been excellent ammo. Accurate & no fte/ftf issues.

jcwit
October 15, 2010, 08:58 PM
The Tulammo is probably re-packaged Wolf.

Other way around, Tula is the Russian Mfg. of Wolf ammo. Wolf is a marketing org.

Wonderclam
October 15, 2010, 11:10 PM
Looks like I'm gonna have to waste all my Tulammo on Tuesday at the range.

RandyP
October 16, 2010, 01:01 AM
Tula is made in the same factory as Wolf and Herters. IMHO the stuff has always successfully gone BANG in my pistols and produced a caliber appropriate sized hole in every paper zombie I attacked with it.

IF you have a firearm that doesn't feed it well, then stick with brass cased, but it works just fine in many of my pistols and my HP 995 carbine..

Sunray
October 16, 2010, 01:44 AM
"...any good?..." Depends on how well your pistol shoots 'em.
The Federal AE is reloadable. The steel cased Russian stuff is not.
"...it's absolute CRAP..." AR's tend to dislike steel cases.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bought some new ammo... are they any good?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!